Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-03-2004   #1
CyberTexan
Veteran

Default Unbelievable now we know what we need in the Draft

We have no run defense , we need to ditch this 3-4 Defense and get a 1st round run stopping DT from the draft , this is rediculous , a HB like Zereoue or however its spelled should not be gettin yards like this .
CyberTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004   #2
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9693 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

i agree. our defense blows
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004   #3
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberTexan
We have no run defense , we need to ditch this 3-4 Defense and get a 1st round run stopping DT from the draft , this is rediculous , a HB like Zereoue or however its spelled should not be gettin yards like this .
And the pass rush is just as bad, if not worse. But with the personnel we've
got, same problem in a 4-3 - it's not the D formation -it's the players.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004   #4
DR#1
Rookie

CyberTexan you must have been reading my mind because we're getting no type of pressure, Kerry Collins is having all day to throw the ball
DR#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004   #5
aphia1996
Rookie

Send a message via Yahoo to aphia1996
Default didn't they just force FIVE Turnovers...and WIN!!!

I didn't get to see much of the game just highlights but we caused FIVE TURNOVERS and they only scored...17 points and we shut them out in the second half....AM I MISSING SOMETHING?????

Everyone needs to stop the run and from what I can tell they made the correct changes at halftime and WON THE GAME.

Most of the Yards from a rush stand point came from the few big plays they just broke down on but looks like the fixed in the second half.

Anyway, I was just wondering what you were talking about since they did shut them down in the second half.

GEAUX TEXANS!!!

James H.
Baton Rouge, LA
aphia1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004   #6
Dime
Hall of Fame

Yes.. I agree we need to upgrade our run defense.. We need a DT bigtime.. My question is, if we adopted another DT (rookie 1st pick), Should we move to a 4 3 Defense.. ? Or stick with the 3 4 ?
Dime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004   #7
done88
Veteran

How bout one big int after another. Every team has one weakness or another but our defense stepped up tonight BIG TIME.
Sponsored links
Old 10-03-2004   #8
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 223543 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dime
Yes.. I agree we need to upgrade our run defense.. We need a DT bigtime.. My question is, if we adopted another DT (rookie 1st pick), Should we move to a 4 3 Defense.. ? Or stick with the 3 4 ?
We have 3 guys that would be DT's in a 4-3. Drafting another DT would give us 4 and no one other than maybe Peek/Babin that would be a 4-3 DE--and they were drafted to be OLB's in a 3-4 for a reason.
Old 10-03-2004   #9
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3006 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected

We could play 4-3 now. Payne and Smith are DT's. At DE it would be Walker and Babin. Sharper, Wong, and Peek would be the LB's.
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004   #10
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

no no no...i agree our run defense is horrible...payne is not playing like he did at the beginning of last year...robaire smith is doing just fine...and walker is doing ok...payne/deloach combination is obviously our weakness...but normally a rookie DT doesn't perform well till his third or fourth season...simply because it takes those years to gain the strength needed to compete...honestly going into the draft i would just stick to the BPA approach...this off-season it might be the best idea
Old 10-03-2004   #11
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 162318 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberTexan
Zereoue had a 14 carry 117 yard day. Minus one single 55 yard explosion where just about everybody near him made the wrong move that amounts to a 13 carry 62 yard day. Sounds pretty ordinary to me. Good, but nothing to get too terribly excited about.

The D will continue to improve as long as everyone stays healthy. Right now you're cracking on a defense that starts two rookies in the secondary along with a cornerback who's been moved over to safety, a rookie linebacker, and one new starter on a defensive line that also happens to feature two players returning from extensive inuries last season.

This is pretty good IMO for week 4. If they still regularly look like this in week 10 then yeah, maybe something might need fixing but it's not broken right now. It's just rusty, out of synch, and kind of wet behind the ears in spots.
Old 10-03-2004   #12
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm glad y'all don't have ANY SAY with the draft because you suck listen each week the Texans defense improves what game are you watching? The first touchdown was scored by the defense, and another field goal was set up by the defense. What do you want? The Raiders have a dominating offenseve line without a safety blitz (coaching) there was no way especially the right side with Gallery, get real. I thought the Texans speed starting with the linebackers though the DB's was outstanding. Sure they got juked on the one big running play, but I'd like someone to explain to me the moving screen which is how he worked his way into the endzone. Anyway the Texans are now in position to draft the BPA it doesn't matter if its defense or offense. Texans have arrived, next Minn.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004   #13
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

I think the Zereoue run had more to do with missed tackles than bad defense because there were defensive players around Zereoue but he just bounced off a lot of the guys...

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004   #14
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

in basketball a moving screen is illeagal for a reason, the same does not apply in football. Clearly if you ever played sports you would understand the difficulty trying to fight through a moving pick! C'mon now he had blocking the whole way & the rules protect that fact, something for the Texans need to file for future reference.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004   #15
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3791 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
I think the Zereoue run had more to do with missed tackles than bad defense because there were defensive players around Zereoue but he just bounced off a lot of the guys...
That plus it didn't hurt that the Raiders essientially took out 4 players with one big block. I believe Robaire Smith was being blocked and pursuing Zereoue, and he fell to the ground as Sharper dove over Smith trying to catch him. That, in turn, caused Babin to trip and I'm thinking there was at least one other player in that pile up. Possibly Simmons or Wong, but I'm not certain.

Last edited by texasguy346; 10-03-2004 at 11:08 PM.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004   #16
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 143 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

bad defense that didn't allow the raiders to score in the second half. hmmmm
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004   #17
rackem
Rookie

Default You're kidding, right?

We are talking about the Raider-Texans game played on Oct.3, 2004, right?? The game we won? The game the Texan defense is being credited with the win?

I had no idea this place was so full of short-sighted, fair-weather fans!
rackem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004   #18
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 657 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

I wasn't happy either, looking up at the scoreboard and seeing Oakland with 260 something yards at halftime. But, keeping the Raiders off the scoreboard in the second half made up for that in a big way. It's hard to beyatch too much when you set a team record for most points scored and 13 of those points were either scored by the defense or were set up by takeaways by the defense. Aside from the freaky win at Heinz in 2002 where the offense totaled something like 47 yards, the Texans 13 point margin of victory yesterday was their largest ever.

I think the Texans will eventually find a way to get pressure on the QB and tighten up against the run. Next week will be even a bigger test. The Vikes offensive attack is one of the best in the NFL.

Last edited by aj.; 10-04-2004 at 12:28 PM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004   #19
Aussie
Rookie

someone like vince wilfork maybe???
Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004   #20
chuckm
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 chuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie
someone like vince wilfork maybe???

We need to get over this Wilfork thing .... pleeeeeez .... this is reality not fantasy football .....
chuckm is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read