Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 11-27-2006   #1
brewhaus
All Pro

Exclamation Picking #1 Again !

With the direction the Texans are headed this season is there a possiblity that we could get the #1 pick in the '07 draft?

IF this is a possibility, would it be wise to pick first again or trade down with another team for more picks later in the draft?
Old 11-27-2006   #2
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Picking #1 Again !

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewhaus View Post
With the direction the Texans are headed this season is there a possiblity that we could get the #1 pick in the '07 draft?

IF this is a possibility, would it be wise to pick first again or trade down with another team for more picks later in the draft?
Trade down. We need all the picks we can get. Plus, I think it'll be tough for the organization to afford another #1.
Old 11-27-2006   #3
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1341 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

We should have a top 3 pick at the very least. Gotta try for a franchise QB this time around.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006   #4
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1036 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I really hope this isn't the case, and I don't think it will be, so long as we beat Oakland. If we have the #1 pick we really need to get rid of it and trade down a bit (perhaps around picks 7-10) so that we can get a good DB (Unless they're going higher this year of course). I know there's plenty of people out there who will be crying for Quinn or Peterson...but we definitely don't need to waste a 1st round pick on a RB with Kubiak's system, and I don't think QB is more urgent right now than a killer Safety or CB. That's just my thoughts, however.
TheCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006   #5
brewhaus
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by the wonger need food View Post
We should have a top 3 pick at the very least. Gotta try for a franchise QB this time around.
Who do you have in mind?
Old 11-27-2006   #6
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Is there gonna be a player that teams really want that bad .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006   #7
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by the wonger need food View Post
IMO, this year doesn't look great for QBs. I'd grab Kolb in a later round. Build him while DC is still taking the snaps. We can fill holes elsewhere and insert Kolb in a year or two.
Sponsored links
Old 11-27-2006   #8
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

No offensive skill position players.
Old 11-27-2006   #9
HomeBred_Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 HomeBred_Texan is a Pro BowlerHomeBred_Texan is a Pro Bowler

Until we get a bulldozer of a running back, we will never get to where we want to be. We have to get a RB this year and watch the O take off and keep the D off the field...

Win by outscoring opponents...
Old 11-27-2006   #10
TexasJedi
Hall of Fame

Joe Thomas, tackle from Wisconsin, or trade down.
-Mario #90
TexasJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006   #11
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

We will probably get a top 10 pick and when we do I think we need to trade down and try and pick up a couple 1st rounders. We get a safety and a CB to go along with Dunta and then in the second round get a WR (Walter has done next to nothing this year and have someone to eventually replace Moulds) and from there out get offensive lineman. I believe OL is the position you can get the most quality at in the later rounds which is why I'd like to take care of some other needs before then. We definately need to address the secondary and the OL, and if we hit it right like we did this year I think we'll be greatly improved for next year.
Old 11-27-2006   #12
brewhaus
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasJedi View Post
Joe Thomas, tackle from Wisconsin, or trade down.
I like Thomas also. He would be a monster addition to the team.
Old 11-27-2006   #13
The Dream
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 The Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of Famer

We need to lose to Oakland and try to shoot for the #1 spot and this time we need to draft the best talent and not what we "need"
The Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006   #14
brewhaus
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dream View Post
We need to lose to Oakland and try to shoot for the #1 spot and this time we need to draft the best talent and not what we "need"
OK, who is the best talent?
Old 11-27-2006   #15
HomeBred_Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
OK, who is the best talent?
Adrian Peterson to name just 1...

Playmakers on offense is what we need right now. We have no running game...
Old 11-27-2006   #16
Reddevil63
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Reddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotReddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to Reddevil63 Send a message via Yahoo to Reddevil63

Id like to know where everybody who wants us to grab a RB or QB in the top 3 is going to get the money to pay for them? IMO if it happens, they will trade down. Kubiak wont draft a RB that high and they are still really high on Charles Spencer so Joe Thomas probably isnt an option. I think they trade down into the 8-12 range and get a defensive playmaker in the secondary.
Old 11-27-2006   #17
HomeBred_Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddevil63 View Post
Id like to know where everybody who wants us to grab a RB or QB in the top 3 is going to get the money to pay for them? IMO if it happens, they will trade down. Kubiak wont draft a RB that high and they are still really high on Charles Spencer so Joe Thomas probably isnt an option. I think they trade down into the 8-12 range and get a defensive playmaker in the secondary.
Some players are gonna be cut after this season again, just like after last season. That is where the money comes from.

Why do you keep saying Kubs doesn't draft rb's in the first round? When has Kubs ever drafted, except for last year?
Old 11-27-2006   #18
Reddevil63
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Reddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotReddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to Reddevil63 Send a message via Yahoo to Reddevil63

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBred_Texan View Post
Some players are gonna be cut after this season again, just like after last season. That is where the money comes from.

Why do you keep saying Kubs doesn't draft rb's in the first round? When has Kubs ever drafted, except for last year?
mmhmm but that doesnt leave a whole lot of money for say free agents and other draft picks does it?
Old 11-27-2006   #19
kcwilson
All Pro

Rep Power: 12 kcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCD View Post
I really hope this isn't the case, and I don't think it will be, so long as we beat Oakland. If we have the #1 pick we really need to get rid of it and trade down a bit (perhaps around picks 7-10) so that we can get a good DB (Unless they're going higher this year of course). I know there's plenty of people out there who will be crying for Quinn or Peterson...but we definitely don't need to waste a 1st round pick on a RB with Kubiak's system, and I don't think QB is more urgent right now than a killer Safety or CB. That's just my thoughts, however.
I don't agree... we don't have the same lineman as denver. Until we can provide we don't need a good RB, I want one. The OL has not shown that they can run block in the scheme and I think we need someone with more talent as opposed to average talent to compensate for the learning curve. Once we have the OL in place and the big time runner isn't needed, then we trade him away for another piece.
Old 11-27-2006   #20
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Trade down. However, It will still be the problem of having a trading partner. No one to dance with, can't trade down. Teams don't want to take the guys in the top 5 picks. To much money and to much risk.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read