Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-27-2006   #1
FirstTexansFan
The Unknown Fan

Rep Power: 27500 FirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to FirstTexansFan
Default Mathis to be activated

In the live webcast of Kubiak, he stated that he is leaning towards activating Mathis for the next game. He also said, he didn't want any excuses, that he expected Mathis to be a receiver as well as a kick/punt returner.
Dread-Head's #1 Fan, Because He Hates The Cowboys As Much As Me!
FirstTexansFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006   #2
texflex513
All Pro

Default Re: Mathis to be activated

Great news!! I hope he regains his pro bowl form quickly we need all the help we can get right now.
texflex513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006   #3
shinerbock_girl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 shinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVP
Send a message via MSN to shinerbock_girl Send a message via Yahoo to shinerbock_girl

Yeah Baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!
shinerbock_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006   #4
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

It's about time and I hope Mathis has grown up some during his journey from Pro Bowler to "ain't doing a damned thing on Sunday"
Old 11-27-2006   #5
brewhaus
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstTexansFan View Post
In the live webcast of Kubiak, he stated that he is leaning towards activating Mathis for the next game. He also said, he didn't want any excuses, that he expected Mathis to be a receiver as well as a kick/punt returner.
WOOHOO !! We need it brother. If we return a kickoff past the 35 yard line I may **** my pants.
Old 11-27-2006   #6
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1036 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected

If nothing else...I hope that Mathis' speed can put a spark in our passing game and at least open up the intermediate routes, if not the long ones.

I hope that Kubiak will open up a little more of the playbook, because it seems like he's kept a tight rein on anything but the short, quick ones. I know we're using a West Coast system...but you have to throw it deep and take a chance at least twice as much as we have.
TheCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006   #7
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubes said on his radio show that he doesn't think Mathis is 100%, although the x-rays came back fine. He expects him to be on the field as a receiver as well as returning kicks. He said it's time he gets on the field so "I can make a good evaluation of him".
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-27-2006   #8
Reddevil63
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Reddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotReddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to Reddevil63 Send a message via Yahoo to Reddevil63

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewhaus View Post
WOOHOO !! We need it brother. If we return a kickoff past the 35 yard line I may **** my pants.
Dexter Wynn hasnt been doing a bad job, he just doesnt have that extra gear to get past the last defenders that Mathis has.
Old 11-27-2006   #9
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 102753 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree, Wynn has been alright but for some reason whenever Mathis gets going at what we think is full speed, he is able to kick it into another gear.
Texan_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006   #10
ensign_lee
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 468 ensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respected

ensign_lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006   #11
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubes made an interesting and I suspect a somewhat telling statement in the news conference. He refered to Mathis's statement that he had done all he could do and now it's up to the coaches. Gary said "I think it's still up to him". Mmmm, anyone think Kubes might not like the kids attitude? He also made it very clear that Mathis can not/will not be just a KR. He HAS to contribute as WR. Remember the film from the ProBowl when they were doing the passing drills....Mathis isn't anywhere near a naturall as a WR. Might be another reason Kubes seems less than thrilled with him.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006   #12
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 106402 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

He shouldnt have any excuses he's had longer than anyone to sit around and learn the system without performing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006   #13
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

This is awsome news. Maybe he can get involed in the passing game early, give both the special teams and offense a spark.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006   #14
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

Great news. Now I have something to look forward to.
Old 11-27-2006   #15
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 17967 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783 View Post
Kubes made an interesting and I suspect a somewhat telling statement in the news conference. He refered to Mathis's statement that he had done all he could do and now it's up to the coaches. Gary said "I think it's still up to him". Mmmm, anyone think Kubes might not like the kids attitude? He also made it very clear that Mathis can not/will not be just a KR. He HAS to contribute as WR. Remember the film from the ProBowl when they were doing the passing drills....Mathis isn't anywhere near a naturall as a WR. Might be another reason Kubes seems less than thrilled with him.
I think that this means it's ******* or get off the pot time for Mathis. If he doesn't produce on Sunday, it wouldn't surprise me to see him gone on Monday. Doesn't seem like Kubes has a lot of patience for him.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006   #16
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2409 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

From the presser, it seemed like Kubiak was on the receivers and backs for not making plays (as well as Carr obviously). Its nice to see that he expects the very best even when his receiver is one of best statistically in the league.
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006   #17
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCROD View Post
He shouldnt have any excuses he's had longer than anyone to sit around and learn the system without performing.
Kubiak said he told Mathis, "Jerome, I'm activating you. I want no excuses. I want you in as a wide receiver as well as returning kicks."

EDO, I agree with you regarding how Kubes feels about Mathis.
Old 11-27-2006   #18
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 1061 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm so excited!!! My name actually means something again!!
Old 11-27-2006   #19
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm sorry, but I don't agree with this idea that Mathis has to be a good receiver to stay on this team. The guy was the best kick returner in the NFL last year and this team could really use ANYBODY who's the best at what they do, no matter what position it is. Why should I care if Mathis isn't quite as good a receiver as some other team's #4 receiver, who never sees the field on offense anyway? The only question in my mind is how healthy is Mathis really and when (and if) he can start producing as a kick returner, like he did last year, again.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006   #20
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
I'm sorry, but I don't agree with this idea that Mathis has to be a good receiver to stay on this team. The guy was the best kick returner in the NFL last year and this team could really use ANYBODY who's the best at what they do, no matter what position it is. Why should I care if Mathis isn't quite as good a receiver as some other team's #4 receiver, who never sees the field on offense anyway? The only question in my mind is how healthy is Mathis really and when (and if) he can start producing as a kick returner, like he did last year, again.
I would say it has a lot to do with how Kubiak feels about Jerome. I can't get away from the feeling that Mathis is in Kube's doghouse for whatever reason. He said he wants him out on the field both as a returner and wide receiver, so that he can evaluate him. To me, that makes sense, as that evaluation will play a big role in decisions he makes in the off season regarding the receiver position.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read