Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-27-2006   #1
LoveThemTexans
Rookie

Question 11/22 Cheerleader Blog

So her trivia question was which cheerleader shares a birthday with a national holiday. Here's her response:
Quote:
Last time I asked "Which girl on the squad celebrates her birthday on a national holiday?" And the answer is (drumroll)... Tiffany! Tiffany's birthday is on Memorial Day! She says that as a teacher, she loves having her birthday on Memorial Day. It means the end of the school year has almost arrived!
Tell me if I'm wrong, but isn't Memorial Day on a different date every year? I thought it was always the last Monday in May.
LoveThemTexans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006   #2
AndreRulz
Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to AndreRulz
Default Re: 11/22 Cheerleader Blog

I am not sure, I don't think so.
Old 11-28-2006   #3
truetexan
Rookie

Way back in the day Memorial Day was on 30 May. However, with the National Holiday Act of 1971, Congress turned the holiday into a 3 day weekend with Memorial Day being the last Monday in May.
truetexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006   #4
Cheerleader Lindsay
Rookie

LoveThemTexans- you've made a very good point! TrueTexan is right, it used to always be on May 30th (Tiffany's birthday, by the way), but is now on the last Monday of May. I did a quick search on the internet and found that this is quite a hot-button issue. There are a number of people trying to get Memorial Day moved back to May 30th. My planner even has Memorial Day listed as May 30th, but says "memorial day observed" on the 29th.

I found this online: "Memorial Day formerly occurred on May 30, and some, such as the Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) and Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War (SUVCW), advocate returning to this fixed date, although the significance of the date is tenuous. The VFW stated in a 2002 Memorial Day Address, "Changing the date merely to create three-day weekends has undermined the very meaning of the day. No doubt, this has contributed greatly to the general public's nonchalant observance of Memorial Day." Hawaii's Senator Daniel Inouye, a veteran of World War II, has repeatedly introduced measures to return Memorial Day to its traditional day since 1998."
Cheerleader Lindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006   #5
jdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 17 jdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden coverjdog could be on the next Madden cover

Congratulations Cheerleader Lindsay and the luckiest Yankee in TX. I guess it wasn't a bad season after all.
jdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read