Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-27-2006   #1
DontTreadOnMe
Rookie

Default AJ has had enough...

by far (with respect to Demeco), AJ is the best player on our football squad... what worries me, is that he has YET to sign a contract extension. AJ has been a model franchise player for the texans (no holdouts, no trouble, no media blow ups) and if we lose him, we are going to take 10-15 steps back in the quest for respectability. I believe he has 1 more year (maybe 2) on his current contract, and it appears he wants out. I think players like AJ want their money, but they truly want to win. The NFL seems to be one of the most prideful leagues around, and some players will not simply swallow their pride and lose. Besides, any team would throw AJ any amount of money he demands because he is young, and he produces, and he will not generate any amount of trouble. So, what do we do??? Have mcnair show up at his house on his hands and knees and an open check book and beg AJ to stay?? AJ's silence seems to be out of frustration,.. he knows he has the ability to be a great, and he wants to lament himself in that stature by winning and going to the playoffs and possibly winning the superbowl. The guy grew up idolizing jerry rice, and he models his behavior, work ethic, and game after him. Would jerry rice hang around??? Geez... if AJ goes.. we are knee deep in some **** and i will be seriously bummed out... but he will still be one of my favorites!!
DontTreadOnMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006   #2
Hulk75
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 427 Hulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: AJ has had enough...

Bye.
Hulk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006   #3
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 128249 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontTreadOnMe View Post
by far (with respect to Demeco), AJ is the best player on our football squad... what worries me, is that he has YET to sign a contract extension. AJ has been a model franchise player for the texans (no holdouts, no trouble, no media blow ups) and if we lose him, we are going to take 10-15 steps back in the quest for respectability. I believe he has 1 more year (maybe 2) on his current contract, and it appears he wants out. I think players like AJ want their money, but they truly want to win. The NFL seems to be one of the most prideful leagues around, and some players will not simply swallow their pride and lose. Besides, any team would throw AJ any amount of money he demands because he is young, and he produces, and he will not generate any amount of trouble. So, what do we do??? Have mcnair show up at his house on his hands and knees and an open check book and beg AJ to stay?? AJ's silence seems to be out of frustration,.. he knows he has the ability to be a great, and he wants to lament himself in that stature by winning and going to the playoffs and possibly winning the superbowl. The guy grew up idolizing jerry rice, and he models his behavior, work ethic, and game after him. Would jerry rice hang around??? Geez... if AJ goes.. we are knee deep in some **** and i will be seriously bummed out... but he will still be one of my favorites!!
And you know this, how?? Link?
Old 11-27-2006   #4
DontTreadOnMe
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
And you know this, how?? Link?
i read about this awhile back... its speculation... but it makes sense to me. It also pointed out that AJ is wanting to return to florida.. so tampa bay and miami are the most logical destinations... but in order for him to play there, they have to make significant improvements.. i will search for it (the article and link) and post it on this tread once i find it..
DontTreadOnMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006   #5
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I believe AJ has two years left on his contract after this one.

He signed a kind of bad contract that locked him in too long.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006   #6
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90044 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan View Post
I believe AJ has two years left on his contract after this one.

He signed a kind of bad contract that locked him in too long.
And we can franchise tag him twice before we have to let him go.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006   #7
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

AJ like Carr is signed through 2008.
Old 11-27-2006   #8
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

I think Moulds and next year's win/loss ratio will have a lot to do with where AJ stands with the Texans.
Old 11-27-2006   #9
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
And we can franchise tag him twice before we have to let him go.
Putting the Franchise tag really isn't a good option.

That basically means the player doesn't want to play where he is at.

So it is an option and looks good on paper, but in reality, it really isn't such a good idea.

Furthermore, AJ has played well and probably deserves the guaranteed portion of a long-term contract, which you don't get on the Franchise tag.

I am not saying forget about the Franchise tag, but if you do use it, it is an option you really don't want to use unless it is under certain circumstances.
Old 11-27-2006   #10
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90044 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan View Post
Putting the Franchise tag really isn't a good option.

That basically means the player doesn't want to play where he is at.

So it is an option and looks good on paper, but in reality, it really isn't such a good idea.

Furthermore, AJ has played well and probably deserves the guaranteed portion of a long-term contract, which you don't get on the Franchise tag.

I am not saying forget about the Franchise tag, but if you do use it, it is an option you really don't want to use unless it is under certain circumstances.
That is what I meant.

If he has no interest in staying then I want the Texans to tag him so we can either keep him or trade him with no penalty to our salary cap.
Old 11-27-2006   #11
touttail
All Pro

McNair will shoot himself in the foot if he lets AJ get away from this team.

Can't blame him for being tired of losing, I am!!!!!

Bobby 119C
touttail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006   #12
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 36043 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

I wouldn't be surprised in the least if Andre wants to go to another team - especially Miami. He has very strong ties there, and the Dolphins can at least look like they are getting better.

I figure Andre gets a lot of ribbing from his fellow alumni from winning teams during the off-season workouts at the U.

Highly skilled and competitive players don't want to lose forever.
Old 11-27-2006   #13
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

I think EJ has backed off on the ribbing...
Old 11-27-2006   #14
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 191772 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Lets look at it this way ... the Texans fold and theres a fire sale , who gets picked 1-5 .

1. Mario
2. Demeco
3. AJ
4. DRob
5. Spencer / Weaver

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006   #15
HoustonTexans
Rookie

I myself have been thinking the same thing... I am worried we won't have Andre much longer. I was at the Jets game and I noticed that AJ doesn't seem very excited at all. He jogs around with little to no emotion, other players hurry out of the huddle and run to their spots, he sorta just goes. And the only times he did get excited was when the ball was going to go to him. One time I actually called, "deep to Johnson" because he seemed pumped after the huddle. Carr looks his way and doesn't throw and the Texans never seem to even try going deep anymore. If i was Johnson, I'd want to get the hell out of Houston too.
HoustonTexans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006   #16
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk75 View Post
Bye.
Hulk, I am not sure what you mean by this. But from reading your posts over many months, I infer that you are okay with AJ leaving the Texans.

Despite AJ's drops, he accounts 35% of Carr's completions and 44% of his yards thrown.

It is more than safe to say that Carr needs AJ a lot more the AJ needs Carr.

Your belief in Carr is admirable, but it is a comment like this that I wonder about your judgement.

The best way for Carr to maintain his job and become successful, is more than likely keeping AJ, I would hope that you would at least admit that.

Besides, AJ will probably make his 2nd Pro Bowl this year, while Carr stays at home in early February.
Old 11-27-2006   #17
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Lets look at it this way ... the Texans fold and theres a fire sale , who gets picked 1-5 .

1. Mario
2. Demeco
3. AJ
4. DRob
5. Spencer / Weaver
My take:

1. AJ
2. Mario
3. DeMeco
4. DRob
5. Spencer
Old 11-27-2006   #18
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 346173 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontTreadOnMe View Post
The guy grew up idolizing jerry rice, and he odels his behavior, work ethic, and game after him.
If so, then AJ needs to quit dropping those easy catches!! Rice never met a pass he didn't catch.
Old 11-27-2006   #19
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
If so, then AJ needs to quit dropping those easy catches!! Rice never met a pass he didn't catch.
DB, I recall Rice had some serious issues with catching and hanging onto the football early in his career.

But your overall point in right on the money! Just putting a little perspective...

AJ is dropping some balls on too many occassions!
Old 11-27-2006   #20
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 36043 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post

1. Mario
2. Demeco
3. AJ
4. DRob
5. Spencer / Weaver
1. Dre
2. Demeco
3. Mario
4. Dunta

I'd trade my 5th pick instead of using it for Spencer, an unproven player with 1.5 games under his belt. This list is a pretty sad commentary on the dearth of top talent on the Texans.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read