Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-27-2006   #1
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon
Default With Cutler taking over the Broncos..Plummer a Texan?

Now that Cutler has been named the starting QB for the Broncos next week, the rumor mill could really build up some steam. Plummer can't be happy about it and would probably welcome a chance to reunite with Kubiak.

The prospect of Plummer as the starting Texans QB doesn't exactly make me bubble over with excitement but on some levels it does make perfect sense and could work out well for everyone involved (even including Lil' Davey)

Possible plan -
Trade Carr to Bucs, Redskins, Browns, or Vikings
Pickup Plummer
Draft a project QB in the 3rd round or later

Plummer isn't Manning or Brady but he is far superior to Carr and would allow us to start competing immediately while we groom a long term successor in the wings.

Just an idea. Discuss.

Doug from The Woodlands
Old 11-27-2006   #2
Wharton
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 12 Wharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVP
Default Re: With Cutler taking over the Broncos..Plummer a Texan?

Not no, but HELL NOOOOOOOO.
Wharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006   #3
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

No Plummer. In fact nothing for the offense outside of O line and a late round QB in the draft. Make Kubiak earn his keep through development rather than acquisition. Invest everything else on Defense just to cover our butts in the event Kubiak cannot get this offense going.
Old 11-27-2006   #4
CowboysTexansFan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
Now that Cutler has been named the starting QB for the Broncos next week, the rumor mill could really build up some steam. Plummer can't be happy about it and would probably welcome a chance to reunite with Kubiak.

The prospect of Plummer as the starting Texans QB doesn't exactly make me bubble over with excitement but on some levels it does make perfect sense and could work out well for everyone involved (even including Lil' Davey)

Possible plan -
Trade Carr to Bucs, Redskins, Browns, or Vikings
Pickup Plummer

Plummer isn't Manning or Brady but he is far superior to Carr and would allow us to start competing immediately while we groom a long term successor in the wings.

Just an idea. Discuss.

Doug from The Woodlands

I have to disagree with you that Plummer is "far superior to Carr". I think Carr is better than Plummer. I'd rather go with Sage as the starter than have Plummer.

As for trading Carr to another team, I'm not at all opposed to doing that if it'll improve our team. I don't, however, think Carr is the main problem. Aside from that boneheaded interception he threw yesterday, I thought Carr played a solid game.

Is he an All-Pro? No, but he's better than average, which I'm willing to accept for now because we are below average in so many other areas. I'm hoping Carr will continue to progress as Kubiak and Calhoun continue to coach him, and the organization continues to add better players.
CowboysTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006   #5
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
No Plummer. In fact nothing for the offense outside of O line and a late round QB in the draft. Make Kubiak earn his keep through development rather than acquisition. Invest everything else on Defense just to cover our butts in the event Kubiak cannot get this offense going.
So are you saying this team doesn't need a running back. I think we do. I often wonder just how much better we would be if D. Davis played with us still.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006   #6
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

If Carr is better than average, than you may need to examine your expectations for what real NFL QBs can do to help their team win games. Just my opine.

As for Plummer, he is much better than Carr. Anyone not blinded with homer-itis knows that.

doug ftw
Old 11-27-2006   #7
CowboysTexansFan
Veteran

We definitely need a starting running back. We also need more depth on the offensive line. Depending on how well Spencer comes back and how much Winston develops this year, we may also need two starting caliber tackles.
Sponsored links
Old 11-27-2006   #8
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
So are you saying this team doesn't need a running back. I think we do. I often wonder just how much better we would be if D. Davis played with us still.
What I am saying is that we should no longer invest in the offensive skill positions, only the trenches. The quickest way for this team to get to .500 is through the defense as we wait for Carr's and AJ's contracts to sunset.
Old 11-27-2006   #9
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

I don't for one minute believe our front office is ready to demote let alone trade Carr. Though I could possibly conceive that Plummer be cut and pass to us through waivers.

I can't honestly believe you or anyone else would propose Plummer over Carr. I'd rather watch dink and dunk with absolutely no balls thrown downfield more than ten yards, than Plummer ball characterized primarily by wild throws and costly interceptions.

Though I'm not certain -- in such a scenario -- doesn't the trade deadline prohibit us trading Carr until season's end any way? Let alone the question of eating his bonus -- fat chance.
Old 11-27-2006   #10
CowboysTexansFan
Veteran

Quote:
If Carr is better than average, than you may need to examine your expectations for what real NFL QBs can do to help their team win games. Just my opine.

As for Plummer, he is much better than Carr. Anyone not blinded with homer-itis knows that.

doug ftw

I'm not saying Carr is great, by any means. But based on my observation of other starting quarterbacks, I think he is better than the average NFL QB.
Old 11-27-2006   #11
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 1061 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharton View Post
Not no, but HELL NOOOOOOOO.
Agreed.

David > "The Snake"
Old 11-27-2006   #12
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerek View Post
I don't for one minute believe our front office is ready to demote let alone trade Carr. Though I could possibly conceive that Plummer be cut and pass to us through waivers.

I can't honestly believe you or anyone else would propose Plummer over Carr. I'd rather watch dink and dunk with absolutely no balls thrown downfield more than ten yards, than Plummer ball characterized primarily by wild throws and costly interceptions.

Though I'm not certain -- in such a scenario -- doesn't the trade deadline prohibit us trading Carr until season's end any way? Let alone the question of eating his bonus -- fat chance.
I believe this is the last year of Plummer's contract, which should make him an unrestricted free agent.

I really don't like the idea of Plummer, but at the right price and if you can unload Carr somewhere and get some value, maybe so.

Would like to see how the deals would work out, but just getting Plummer because he is out there really isn't a good idea. You have to work it out the right way and the price has to be right.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006   #13
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboysTexansFan View Post
I'm not saying Carr is great, by any means. But based on my observation of other starting quarterbacks, I think he is better than the average NFL QB.
I don't even call Carr's performance better than average at this point. I think he's been mostly average at best this season, with occasional flashes of both good and bad, and my basis for keeping him is that (a) he has demonstrated stretches of sufficient improvement this season and (b) I don't think we'll find better any time soon without eating Carr's contract and picking up some $50M+ rookie with a bunch of the same question marks.

I question the judgment of anybody who doesn't agree that Plummer is a lot worse than average at this point in his career. I have seen several full Broncos games this season and Plummer consistently makes absolutely horrible reads and misplaces a lot of passes. Plummer in many respects has a superior supporting cast -- better OL and run game, much better defense, while the Texans have better WRs -- and despite that has amassed a substantially worse stat line (11 TDs/12 INTs/55.6%/1994 yards) vs Carr's (10 TDs/7 INTs/69.9%/2217 yards). Then again, "stats don't matter" and neither do evaluatory tools like game tape. It's hard to remember observing a guy who received this much criticism for being a family man or having his hair cut a certain way but since that's what 90% of his analysis boils down to around here, I guess I'm hoping for too much.
Old 11-27-2006   #14
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Pickup Plummer

Plummer isn't Manning or Brady but he is far superior to Carr
First, why would you pick-up a project QB if Plummer would be your starter? You might pick-up a high draft choice as a QB and let him sit for a season or two to watch and learn while Plummer and the Texans continue to suck.

Second, I would strongly disagree that Plummer is far superior and would ask what you base that statement on?
Texan_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006   #15
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

doug ftw
Anyone who disagrees with you isblind by homerits? Sorry to burst your bubble but just because someone does not like Plummer and thinks he sucks is not being a blind homer. How do I know this?

Because the guy is not on the Texans roster. If you have an opinion of a guy not on the roster you cant be a blinf homer? That is not a hard concept to figure out.
Specnatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006   #16
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

I am not saying that Plummer is going to take us to the Super Bowl but he is better than Carr (how anyone could think Carr is better than just about any NFL QB is beyond me...) and would allow us time to groom a true longterm replacement while allowing us to compete in the meantime. This would make it easier to attract free agents, stop this insepid culture of mediocrity, and keep morale high both in the locker room and the stands.

Plummer has won a lot of big games and gets punked by Brady and Manning so he doesnt make it to the Super Bowl. Losing to Brady and Manning isn't something that is exclusive to Plummer.

Blind Faith = Ignorance and Stupidity

Doug from The Woodlands
Old 11-27-2006   #17
Texas_Thrill
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Texas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:

doug ftw
If he's so far superior then why did he get benched for cutler? Even if your argument is he's far superior than carr to me that doesn't mean he's any more than average. I'm not trading for a guy that can't start on his own team. That makes no sense.

I too would rather go with rosenfels.
Old 11-27-2006   #18
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 158648 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

If they go in a different direction at QB ... I do'nt want another retread . I've heard Kubiak likes Sage and he would get first shot while they find the heir apparent .
Old 11-27-2006   #19
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
First, why would you pick-up a project QB if Plummer would be your starter? You might pick-up a high draft choice as a QB and let him sit for a season or two to watch and learn while Plummer and the Texans continue to suck.

Second, I would strongly disagree that Plummer is far superior and would ask what you base that statement on?
We cant spend another 1st round pick on QB. We have too many needs on both lines and in the secondary. Based on Kubiak's track record we dont need to worry about early picks for RB.

In addition, I did'nt advocate picking up Plummer. I only asked to discuss it and stated that on some levels it makes sense while still not making me that excited about the prospects.

doug ftw
Old 11-27-2006   #20
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
We cant spend another 1st round pick on QB. We have too many needs on both lines and in the secondary. Based on Kubiak's track record we dont need to worry about early picks for RB.

In addition, I did'nt advocate picking up Plummer. I only asked to discuss it and stated that on some levels it makes sense while still not making me that excited about the prospects.

doug ftw
I didn't necessarily want to spend another first pick on a QB, I just don't get your logic on getting a "project' QB that could hit or miss and in the meantime you have starting Plummer at QB?

Second, what are you basing your opinion of Plummer over Carr?
Texan_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read