Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Which QB Do We Draft?
Brady Quinn 11 19.64%
Troy Smith 16 28.57%
Drew Stanton 3 5.36%
Chris Leak 1 1.79%
Kevin Kolb 25 44.64%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-27-2006   #1
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Which QB Do We Draft?

Do we spend a first round pick or wait until a later rouind?
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006   #2
ensign_lee
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 467 ensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Which QB Do We Draft?

How about we fix othe rproblems first?

Like our secondary? Or our O-line?
ensign_lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006   #3
santo
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12640 santo is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by the wonger need food View Post
Do we spend a first round pick or wait until a later rouind?

I say the Texans draft in the later round and take Kevin Kolb.
Old 11-27-2006   #4
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 164415 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I also chose Kolb in a later round primarily because I answered the question with an "assuming we did take a QB" attitude and because I don't think we should go anywhere near the first round with a plan to get a QB.

We have more presing needs this draft and particularly on the first day. I'm interested in Kolb and think he would make a good project for the Texans but I'd only consider drafting him if he fell to day two. Our other needs are just too great.
Old 11-27-2006   #5
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 79376 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by santo View Post
I agree. I am all for bringing in a quarterback to push Carr, but we can't spend first round money on a QB. We will put ourselves in salary cap prison quickly doing that.

I think Kevin Kolb could be a good one on Sundays (someday) and look forward to seeing the Conference USA championship game this weekend.
Texan_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006   #6
srstex
Veteran

I would like to see Carr leave to save his career, and his health. Obviously Carr is not the MAN for Kubiak, and it shows, Kubiak is building Carr's stats to use him as trade bait- Oakland?- so he pick can up another draft choice. Don't laugh, remember Brown missing a twenty yarder by 20 yards in the Bush Bowl ? Kubiak is still trying to teach and is not trying to win, or if he is then let's fire him now and put this season to rest so we can recover by draft day. Troy can put an end to the Carr Sucks threads, and if Kubiak is still around, will show where the big mistake is.
Old 11-27-2006   #7
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3261 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

How about Troy Smith, that'll just make all the UT fans around here love the Texans even more.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-27-2006   #8
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 12831 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

None of these Qbs are worth looking at.
Old 11-27-2006   #9
hot pickle
السلام عليكم

Rep Power: 2074 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

i have know problem with troy smith, they beat UT this year, but he is the best attitude i've ever seen when it comes to beating or lossing to a team, i picked Drew Stanton, cause before the season alot of people were really high on him, but i havent heard to much since then, so if he slips to the 3rd round, im all for it, or kevin kolb would be good to, but the other QB's are 1st rounders, i dunno whats the deal with leak i see him coming out cause he can't be to happy with Urban Meyer using Tim Tibow so much
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006   #10
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 114256 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd take Kolb ... you don't need a 1st round pick to do what we're doing .
Old 11-27-2006   #11
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56209 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunta23 View Post
i have know problem with troy smith, they beat UT this year, but he is the best attitude i've ever seen when it comes to beating or lossing to a team, i picked Drew Stanton, cause before the season alot of people were really high on him, but i havent heard to much since then, so if he slips to the 3rd round, im all for it, or kevin kolb would be good to, but the other QB's are 1st rounders, i dunno whats the deal with leak i see him coming out cause he can't be to happy with Urban Meyer using Tim Tibow so much
Leak is a senior so he has to come out.

I dont see him getting drafted on the first day tho, if he is drafted at all.

He has decent arm strength, not great.

He has decent accuracy, not great.

But his real problem is leadership and poise. Next time you catch a Florida game where things are going bad for the Gators look for Leak. He acts like a little kid throwing a tantrum.

P.S.- This is just my opinion, I have only noticed the bad attitude on one occasion due to the fact that the Gators are never losing.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006   #12
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 157572 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

I honestly do not want to see a change at QB until the O-line can form a pocket with consistency. I just want whichever QB we bring in to have the best chance to succeed. So I would rather see the team focus on fixing the O-line (and secondary, and linebacking corps) in the draft. Let Carr run the offense another year as the line improves and then draft a QB in '08. Either Carr runs the offense while the draftee sits a year or we get a free agent retread. Fix the O-line, then get a QB, IMO.
eriadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006   #13
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 75757 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by santo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I also chose Kolb in a later round primarily because I answered the question with an "assuming we did take a QB" attitude and because I don't think we should go anywhere near the first round with a plan to get a QB.

We have more presing needs this draft and particularly on the first day. I'm interested in Kolb and think he would make a good project for the Texans but I'd only consider drafting him if he fell to day two. Our other needs are just too great.
I agree 100%! For the next year or two we're going to filling existing holes in our team. Why not draft Kolb? Groom him while the team is building, then insert him in the starting role when DC only has one year left in his contract. I'm all for it!
Old 11-27-2006   #14
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7857 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Wait til the 2nd round.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006   #15
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 28048 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

No QB's in the early picks as the salary cap era trends that out nicely.
Old 11-27-2006   #16
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 114256 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm betting a QB change will make players around him better ... it'll be a miracle .
Old 11-27-2006   #17
Wharton
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 11 Wharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVP

I don't know if drafting a QB is the right thing to do.

Last draft I wanted VY in the worst way because I didn't think DC had "it". A bunch of folks complained that by taking VY, the Texans would be starting from scratch and it would take another 3 years to build a winning program. People who thought we had talent on a 2-14 team were making this argument. Personally, I didn't think we had any talent and another three years to build a solid program sounded reasonable to me.

Well, the argument still applies. If we take a QB in the draft, he will need 3+ years to adapt to the pro game. Preferably, the Texans would place him on the sidelines for one full year holding a clipboard. Yes, VY and Matt Lienhart (sp?) are doing well in their first years, but I think they are the exception and not the rule.

Oh, and by a quality QB, I don't mean Jake Plummer.

For your consideration, if we had taken VY, we would have a two years left on his maturing process and he could be on the sidelines learning what not to do from DC.

Last edited by Wharton; 11-27-2006 at 12:57 PM.
Wharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006   #18
afcman
Veteran

I think we need other positions filled first. We can use Carr another year.
afcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006   #19
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 35979 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I honestly do not want to see a change at QB until the O-line can form a pocket with consistency. I just want whichever QB we bring in to have the best chance to succeed. So I would rather see the team focus on fixing the O-line (and secondary, and linebacking corps) in the draft. Let Carr run the offense another year as the line improves and then draft a QB in '08. Either Carr runs the offense while the draftee sits a year or we get a free agent retread. Fix the O-line, then get a QB, IMO.
Exactly.

Fix the O line first, the rest of the O will take care of itself.

I've been a Carr 'homer' during all the bashing, but if Porter is not in the long range plans, drafting a QB prospect at this time is not a bad idea.

Don't know too much about Kolb. Is he another 'system' qb, kinda like the Texas Tech qbs?

Old 11-27-2006   #20
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 53272 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

I dont think anything high. 5th round probably. There are alot of holes that need fixing.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read