Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-27-2006   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100543 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default HPF:what went right,what went wrong

http://www.houstonprofootball.com/game/2006/week11.html

Quote:
What Went Right?

Stats between the 20s
The Texans won the battles for total yards (332-304), time of possession (30:51), and third down conversion percentage (47-31%). Moving into a scoring position really hasn't been much of a problem for the team all season, as David Carr seems capable of taking what a defense gives him outside of the redzone.

DeMeco's DeMan
The middle linebacker of a 4-3 defense is supposed to rack up the tackle stats, but DeMeco Ryans is doing more than just wrapping up ballcarriers between the hashes. Ryans was all over the field against the Jets, collecting 13 tackles and making up for subpar play from his teammates elsewhere in the defense.

Steady as E-Mo Goes
Where would David Carr and the rest of the offense be without the consistency of Eric Moulds? He posted a season-high performance, catching 10 balls for 79 yards, several of which coming on the Texans' final drive when Carr needed a pair of veteran hands the most.
What Went Wrong?

Rushing Nowhere
The most evident symptom of an ineffective Kubiak offense is almost always an impotent running attack. It is the wheel that turns all the other gears of the system, and 11 carries for 15 yards from the backs will remove the bootlegs and play action passes from the gameplan, making for a long afternoon.

Lack of Urgency
Down by 23 points following a drive by the Jets that chewed up almost nine minutes, the Texans refused to go no-huddle with less than eight minutes left in the game. That drive ultimately resulted a touchdown, but it chewed up more than half the remaining time on the clock. The Jets couldn't have iced the game more effectively than if they held possession themselves. When the Texans did forego the huddle on their final drive, it took them 15 plays before time expired, with just one of those plays going for more than 10 yards.

Third Quarter Siesta
Just when we thought the Texans had finally put away their halftime fudge, they lost yet another game with a miserable third quarter. The offense had four drives in the quarter; they resulted in three drives that failed to get a first down and another that featured an interception. The third quarter sludge is a hallmark of a team that is out-coached.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006   #2
wrestler4life
Veteran

Default Re: HPF:what went right,what went wrong

Halftime is when you see how good of a coach you are. If you can't adjust and make a strong 3rd quarter showing then yes- you have been outcoached.
Old 11-27-2006   #3
TPIMP
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestler4life View Post
Halftime is when you see how good of a coach you are. If you can't adjust and make a strong 3rd quarter showing then yes- you have been outcoached.
I agree to a point. Another contributing factor is the Texans are a young team and it's difficult for a coaching staff to make halftime adjustments with a young team.
Old 11-27-2006   #4
kcwilson
All Pro

Rep Power: 12 kcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVP

I loved what Steve Tasker, CBS Commentator for Sunday's game, said about our offense, in particular when we were still in the game trying to get a TD to close to a 6 point deficit.

He said something to the effect of... "This team is trying to move the ball left and right, not up and down." He pointed out that all routes are always running across the field on short 5-6 yard routes, nothing that many people haven't already seen, but the entire passing game is just about underneath left and right passing toward the sidelines.

Naturally, this translates into a very difficult time moving the ball inside the red zone as the field becomes more compact/congested. Safeties can move up closer on those crossing routes without fear of getting burnt deep.

I am encouraged by our ability to move the ball consistently to the opponents 30 yard line, but very discouraged about being to convert those drives into points.

The running game is pathetic and a big reason why we can't convert late in the drive. Gado is good for depth, but Lundy is not explosive. I want an explosive speed back, and don't care if Kubiak can change any RB into a 1,000 yard rusher. Give me a stud RB and lets start moving the ball. We obviously don't have the line to utilize any old RB, and it will take time for Spencer and Winston to mature and replace aging veterans, in that time, I want a RB that can run.
Old 11-27-2006   #5
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100543 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcwilson View Post
I loved what Steve Tasker, CBS Commentator for Sunday's game, said about our offense, in particular when we were still in the game trying to get a TD to close to a 6 point deficit.

He said something to the effect of... "This team is trying to move the ball left and right, not up and down." He pointed out that all routes are always running across the field on short 5-6 yard routes, nothing that many people haven't already seen, but the entire passing game is just about underneath left and right passing toward the sidelines.

Naturally, this translates into a very difficult time moving the ball inside the red zone as the field becomes more compact/congested. Safeties can move up closer on those crossing routes without fear of getting burnt deep.

I am encouraged by our ability to move the ball consistently to the opponents 30 yard line, but very discouraged about being to convert those drives into points.

The running game is pathetic and a big reason why we can't convert late in the drive. Gado is good for depth, but Lundy is not explosive. I want an explosive speed back, and don't care if Kubiak can change any RB into a 1,000 yard rusher. Give me a stud RB and lets start moving the ball. We obviously don't have the line to utilize any old RB, and it will take time for Spencer and Winston to mature and replace aging veterans, in that time, I want a RB that can run.
true, I hope we go defense in first round and possibly pick a RB in 2nd or 3rd.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read