Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-26-2006   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100807 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default This play sticks out to me

2nd quarter
"1st-10, NYJ29 6:17 D. Carr sacked by S. Ellis"

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/boxscore...020&page=plays

If I remember correctly this was a bootleg and Carr was wide open. He had plenty of time,but ended up running out of bounds.Can someone help me and tell me what/where the TE's were (blocking? or on a route)

I remember hearing in practice we were running a play like that and AJ was tearing it up.. When I saw that play, honestly my eyes lit up, I was expecting Carr to throw the ball downfiled with AJ coming across the field, instead I see Carr run out of bounds on the sideline and if I have the right part of the play by play..it was a sack.

After that play I shook my head, I couldn't believe that noone was open. that is why I am asking (for those that rewatch the game) where where the TE's? If blocking, I can understand, if not, why can't we get open on routes.

please keep this football talk, there are plenty of bashing on the many other threads
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006   #2
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: This play sticks out to me

I saw this play too...the one where he was running right and was so open he stopped to look for a receiver that was open but could not find one so he ran out of bounds at the last moment before a defender could get to him. I thought that it was just nobody open...maybe the Jets called a max cover defense and it just didn't work out.
TexansSeminole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006   #3
ensign_lee
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 468 ensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah. I remember thinking "Wow. That's the most time David's had to throw hte ball in YEARS."

and then later thinking "WTF? Nobody was open?"

Darn camera angles.
ensign_lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006   #4
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100807 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I actually had a broncos moment there on that play.. and next thing I know... alarm clock went off.
Old 11-26-2006   #5
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 179775 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

I remember the play well and I could'nt even tell you what went wrong .

On channel 13 , Kubiak says defenses are taking away the big plays . Spencer Tillman said that Kubiak is protecting Carr and that Calhoun and Kubiak are only giving Carr easy plays ( you fill in the blanks why ) .
Old 11-26-2006   #6
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 31690 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

I just replayed it. It looks like just the 5 o-linemen blocking. Tight end on left blocked and released. Running back (Lundy) way to the left and behind the LOS while Carr rolls. Four man rush - a couple drop off a little when they see the rollout. Walter seems to be open 4 yards past the LOS right in front of Carr as Carr passes the numbers, but Carr seems to be looking downfield to the middle or even the left at that time. Can't see much else and I'm in HD.
Old 11-26-2006   #7
Wolf
100% Texan

thanks runner.

Troubling it is. Meditate I will
Sponsored links
Old 11-26-2006   #8
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77992 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
On channel 13 , Kubiak says defenses are taking away the big plays . Spencer Tillman said that Kubiak is protecting Carr and that Calhoun and Kubiak are only giving Carr easy plays ( you fill in the blanks why ) .
I watched channel 13 too, and Tillman didn't say anything about 'Calhoun and Kubiak only giving Carr easy plays'. Stop making things up.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006   #9
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
I watched channel 13 too, and Tillman didn't say anything about 'Calhoun and Kubiak only giving Carr easy plays'. Stop making things up.
Happens all the time and then folks have to spend hours beating down the false stuff and in the meantime, more stuff is pulled out of some guys backside that in totaly wrong and off it goes again.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006   #10
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 179775 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
He did to say that ... he said Kubiak was protectinq his QB . Melton said then why can't we go down the field and Tillman said because they give him easy high percentage routes . Turn up your hearing aid both of you before calling me a liar .

Last edited by Honoring Earl 34; 11-26-2006 at 11:50 PM.
Honoring Earl 34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006   #11
Mattheus_Rex
Veteran

The lack of throwing downfield really got on my nerves. If you don't air it out there once and a while, even for no completion, you can't stretch out the defense. That's why the coverage underneath was so good, their safeties had nothing to do all day but cheat up.
Old 11-26-2006   #12
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
He did to say that ... he said Kubiak was protectinq his QB . Melton said then why can't we go down the field and Tillman said because they give him easy high percentage routes . Turn up your hearing aid both of you before calling me a liar .
I watched it also. He said it. But Bob is pi$$ed. 13 IS "the Texans network" .All that KTRH promo money down the tubes...Bob look slike the local joker. Now that the texans sux, the company line is bang on the QB. Bob's never played. He's a talking head nothing more. Spencer's got a nice rice bowl going . He's gonna do what the boss tells him to do. Carr made some bad plays today no doubt. He also had another 300 yard game. Maybe he can't tote the yoke. And he may well be the bust some on the board think he is. Bottom line, with Sages hand he is the QB the rest of the way. We're retrenching at QB... means another five year plan. I'm not real over joyed in that. Puts us closer to Joe Thomas is all I know.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006   #13
phan1
All Pro

It wasn't that bad a play. If someone gets open, that's a 15 yrd gain versus a 7-8 yrd gain. As for the short passes, can't people at least run some deeper routes? Even those dump off routes can be run about 2 yards deeper. You want to at least average 3-4 yrds on those (like a running play) rather than 1-2.
phan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006   #14
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=threetoedpete;512182]I watched it also. He said it. But Bob is pi$$ed. 13 IS "the Texans network" .All that KTRH promo money down the tubes...Bob look slike the local joker. Now that the texans sux, the company line is bang on the QB. Bob's never played. He's a talking head nothing more. Spencer's got a nice rice bowl going . He's gonna do what the boss tells him to do. Carr made some bad plays today no doubt. He also had another 300 yard game. Maybe he can't tote the yoke. And he may well be the bust some on the board think he is. Bottom line, with Sages hand he is the QB the rest of the way. We're retrenching at QB... means another five year plan. I'm not real over joyed in that. Puts us closer to Joe Thomas is all I know.[/QUOTE]

Yes. Joe Thomas! Just what the doctor ordered!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006   #15
Wolf
100% Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by phan1 View Post
It wasn't that bad a play. If someone gets open, that's a 15 yrd gain versus a 7-8 yrd gain. As for the short passes, can't people at least run some deeper routes? Even those dump off routes can be run about 2 yards deeper. You want to at least average 3-4 yrds on those (like a running play) rather than 1-2.
I just don't understand how anyone wasn't open.

oh I just saw, runner said it was a 4 man rush so that leaves 3 WR's and a RB on 7 ..geeze and we can't find a spot that someone is open
Old 11-27-2006   #16
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 31690 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
I just don't understand how anyone wasn't open.

oh I just saw, runner said it was a 4 man rush so that leaves 3 WR's and a RB on 7 ..geeze and we can't find a spot that someone is open
Nothing beyond about five yards downfield was visible. This question won't be answered watching replays from the telecast.
Old 11-27-2006   #17
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
Nothing beyond about five yards downfield was visible.
Typical Jersey day on the Turnpike. .

Quote:
This question won't be answered watching replays from the telecast.
My money is on the Staten Island dump.
Old 11-27-2006   #18
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
2nd quarter
"1st-10, NYJ29 6:17 D. Carr sacked by S. Ellis"

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/boxscore...020&page=plays

If I remember correctly this was a bootleg and Carr was wide open. He had plenty of time,but ended up running out of bounds.Can someone help me and tell me what/where the TE's were (blocking? or on a route)

I remember hearing in practice we were running a play like that and AJ was tearing it up.. When I saw that play, honestly my eyes lit up, I was expecting Carr to throw the ball downfiled with AJ coming across the field, instead I see Carr run out of bounds on the sideline and if I have the right part of the play by play..it was a sack.

After that play I shook my head, I couldn't believe that noone was open. that is why I am asking (for those that rewatch the game) where where the TE's? If blocking, I can understand, if not, why can't we get open on routes.

please keep this football talk, there are plenty of bashing on the many other threads
When I saw the play, I thought with all the time he had, he should have been able to run for at least 10 yards not a 1/2 yard sack.
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006   #19
Goldeagle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Goldeagle is a Pro BowlerGoldeagle is a Pro Bowler
Send a message via Yahoo to Goldeagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign_lee View Post
Yeah. I remember thinking "Wow. That's the most time David's had to throw hte ball in YEARS."

and then later thinking "WTF? Nobody was open?"

Darn camera angles.
Steve Tasker (one of the commentators) said that everyone was covered downfield. This was a horrible game for our O-line since they could rush 4 and max cover.
Goldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006   #20
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 240492 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
I just replayed it. It looks like just the 5 o-linemen blocking. Tight end on left blocked and released. Running back (Lundy) way to the left and behind the LOS while Carr rolls. Four man rush - a couple drop off a little when they see the rollout. Walter seems to be open 4 yards past the LOS right in front of Carr as Carr passes the numbers, but Carr seems to be looking downfield to the middle or even the left at that time. Can't see much else and I'm in HD.
Someone said something about keeping tightends in to protect, but after I rewatched the game, we rarely kept an extra tightend in for blocking. You'd see both TEs running routes on most plays, and our 5 were left blocking most of the time.

On this play you are refering, I have to disagree. I thought Walter was 8 yards down the field, by himself....... but David did not see him.

There are a few other plays where you can see open receivers..... wide open, before David threw the ball to an underneath receiver. after rewatching, you can see David doesn't look anywhere else, but at his first option.....

These are problems we knew he had before the season, and earlier (the Miami game comes to mind) David appeared to be doing much better.... but since he got benched, he's been 'ole reliable one-read dump...
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read