Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read


Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2006   #1
HRMSpencer
Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 9
Rep Power: 0 HRMSpencer is ridin' the pine
Default A Bad Example

Ok here is something I noticed while watching the Detriot Loins play against the Miami Dolphins. When the game began, the Detriot fans boo'ed Joey Harrington, the Lions old QB, who know is the starting QB for the Dolphins. Harrington has often been compaired to Carr in their styles of play, their struggling teams and their lack of results in regards to their high draft picks. But here is where they differ. The Texans decided to forge ahead with Carr while Detriot ran Harrington out of town. It was a messy divorce from his old franchise.

The Lions, after running Harrington out of town, got a new staff, new coaches and a new QB, Jon Kitna. And yet, they still continue to struggle. Fans where bags on their heads at the game. And now, their old QB, who was boo'd out of Detriot comes onto their field and whips his old team. He showed all the skills and talent that he made him a high draft pick but was unable to exploit it because his own team had bigger problems than just him.

The reason I say this is the Texans are in a very similar situation. The Lions looked embarrassing booing their old QB and then having him dominate their team at home. I just feel that if we too run Carr out of town, the same fate awaits us. Can you imagine being stuck with someone like Jon Kitna as your QB? If you havent noticed, the Peyton Mannings and Brett Favres are a very rare commodity in the NFL. The reasons why the Lions suck was not because of Joey Harrington. It was a plethra of other problems that led to such a bad string of seasons.

So in conclusion, lets not be those Lions fans that got embarrased in front of the nation on Thanksgiving. We have a lot of areas to fix on this team but we are starting to show changes in the right direction, both on offense and defence. Like Joey Harrington in Detriot, maybe Carr isn't the reason why the Texans have continued to struggle. Maybe we just haven't put all the pieces together. You draft a QB for the future once eveything else is in place, i.e. the San Diego Chargers. I dont think putting an unstable rookie QB into an already unstable environment will be conducive for positive changes in the win column.

With that said, what areas do you believe the Texans need to fix in order to become a playoff worthy team?
HRMSpencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006   #2
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry
 
bigbrewster2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: The Woodlands
Age: 37
Posts: 1,345
Rep Power: 4856 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: A Bad Example

Mostly the team needs time to grow as opposed to alot of change, however this team needs more talent in the secondary.
bigbrewster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006   #3
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt
 
TexansLucky13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Maryland
Age: 26
Posts: 4,770
Rep Power: 4279 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: A Bad Example

QB is not an area we need to fix. We agree on that one.

I rank it like this....

1) Secondary (CB specifically, FS possibly)
2) O-line (depth)
3) D-line (depth)

Other than that it really can come down to BPA.
__________________
TexansLucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006   #4
texflex513
All Pro
 
texflex513's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Age: 39
Posts: 615
Rep Power: 9 texflex513 is a team player
Default Re: A Bad Example

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRMSpencer View Post
Ok here is something I noticed while watching the Detriot Loins play against the Miami Dolphins. When the game began, the Detriot fans boo'ed Joey Harrington, the Lions old QB, who know is the starting QB for the Dolphins. Harrington has often been compaired to Carr in their styles of play, their struggling teams and their lack of results in regards to their high draft picks. But here is where they differ. The Texans decided to forge ahead with Carr while Detriot ran Harrington out of town. It was a messy divorce from his old franchise.

The Lions, after running Harrington out of town, got a new staff, new coaches and a new QB, Jon Kitna. And yet, they still continue to struggle. Fans where bags on their heads at the game. And now, their old QB, who was boo'd out of Detriot comes onto their field and whips his old team. He showed all the skills and talent that he made him a high draft pick but was unable to exploit it because his own team had bigger problems than just him.

The reason I say this is the Texans are in a very similar situation. The Lions looked embarrassing booing their old QB and then having him dominate their team at home. I just feel that if we too run Carr out of town, the same fate awaits us. Can you imagine being stuck with someone like Jon Kitna as your QB? If you havent noticed, the Peyton Mannings and Brett Favres are a very rare commodity in the NFL. The reasons why the Lions suck was not because of Joey Harrington. It was a plethra of other problems that led to such a bad string of seasons.

So in conclusion, lets not be those Lions fans that got embarrased in front of the nation on Thanksgiving. We have a lot of areas to fix on this team but we are starting to show changes in the right direction, both on offense and defence. Like Joey Harrington in Detriot, maybe Carr isn't the reason why the Texans have continued to struggle. Maybe we just haven't put all the pieces together. You draft a QB for the future once eveything else is in place, i.e. the San Diego Chargers. I dont think putting an unstable rookie QB into an already unstable environment will be conducive for positive changes in the win column.

With that said, what areas do you believe the Texans need to fix in order to become a playoff worthy team?
As the other guys said we need serious secondary help and i think we should be trying to find a future center because i see flanagan having only about 1-2 more good years left in him. RT and RG are 2 other spots as well as S and W side linebacker.
texflex513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006   #5
Ckw
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: A Bad Example

Man, where to start....
In no particular order: strong and weakside linebackers, defensive tackle, both safety positions, another cornerback, a running back, and still an improved offensive line. So basically, most of the team other than quarterback, wide receiver, middle linebacker, and tight end. Yes, we still have a long way to go.
Most important, in my opinion, is the offensive line. Build a great, deep offensive line and you can build a great offense. This has been shown time and time again. You give you quarterback more time and your running backs holes to run through and you score points. Especially in the red zone.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006   #6
Hervoyel
The Right Track
 
Hervoyel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Age: 49
Posts: 14,896
Rep Power: 269943 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: A Bad Example

My own wish-list includes at least one CB (veteran), one Safety (veteran or draft), At least one LB (draft - first day), at least one G (draft - first day), and another RB (draft, also first day)

Assuming all other positions come back fully recovered from injuries, with another year of experience for this years rookies, and without another massive run of injuries early on then I say that's an 8-8 to 10-6 bunch if their improvement continues at the rate we've seen.

I give David Carr another year to try and build on what we've seen this season not because he's suddenly turned into another Joe Montana but because he's not the worst problem with this team and he's improved enough this season to make me want to see the Texans try to build on what they did this year. I want to see if he takes another step. Personally I think we would normally have been seeing this kind of play in his second or third year but circumstances simply didn't allow that to happen. I'm optimistic though.
__________________
Fitz makes bad decisions. That's not going to change.
Hervoyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006   #7
TheCD
All Pro
 
TheCD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Wichita Falls, TX
Age: 28
Posts: 981
Rep Power: 1036 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: A Bad Example

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRMSpencer View Post
The Lions, after running Harrington out of town, got a new staff, new coaches and a new QB, Jon Kitna. And yet, they still continue to struggle.

This is a bit off-topic and I may be incorrect, but I heard that it was pretty much Dre Bly's comments on him being a terrible QB that helped to run him out of town. Am I right on that?
TheCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-26-2006   #8
Erratic Assassin
All Pro
 
Erratic Assassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 534
Rep Power: 13 Erratic Assassin was voted MVPErratic Assassin was voted MVPErratic Assassin was voted MVP
Default Re: A Bad Example

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRMSpencer View Post
The reason I say this is the Texans are in a very similar situation. The Lions looked embarrassing booing their old QB and then having him dominate their team at home. I just feel that if we too run Carr out of town, the same fate awaits us.
David Carr probably isn't going to win any games by himself but he's good enough to get the job done and that's all we need. I do not want to waste anymore draft picks or free agent money on another QB. Use those picks and get a cornerback, a safety, a linebacker, a running back, or a left tackle who is RonDayneproof.

Football is a team sport. The QB is not solely responsible for the wins/ losses.
__________________
Apparently they don't teach you how to use toaster ovens in business school!
Erratic Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006   #9
brewhaus
All Pro
 
brewhaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 769
Rep Power: 9 brewhaus is a fan favorite
Default Re: A Bad Example

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erratic Assassin View Post
David Carr probably isn't going to win any games by himself but he's good enough to get the job done and that's all we need. I do not want to waste anymore draft picks or free agent money on another QB. Use those picks and get a cornerback, a safety, a linebacker, a running back, or a left tackle who is RonDayneproof.

Football is a team sport. The QB is not solely responsible for the wins/ losses.
Carr has a couple more years left on him here in Houston. He will be OK. Erratic is right. We don't need to waste anymore time or money on a QB right now. There are way too many other holes to fill.
__________________
"It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up. "
Vince Lombardi
brewhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006   #10
FirstTexansFan
The Unknown Fan
 
FirstTexansFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: New Braunfels, Tx.
Age: 56
Posts: 2,311
Rep Power: 30093 FirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to FirstTexansFan
Default Re: A Bad Example

We need to stop these intelligent well thought out postings, you sir are a new poster, and this kinda stuff will only get you positive rep
__________________
Dread-Head's #1 Fan, Because He Hates The Cowboys As Much As Me!
FirstTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006   #11
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Katy, Texas
Age: 58
Posts: 6,644
Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: A Bad Example

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckw5814 View Post
Man, where to start....
In no particular order: strong and weakside linebackers, defensive tackle, both safety positions, another cornerback, a running back, and still an improved offensive line. So basically, most of the team other than quarterback, wide receiver, middle linebacker, and tight end. Yes, we still have a long way to go.
Most important, in my opinion, is the offensive line. Build a great, deep offensive line and you can build a great offense. This has been shown time and time again. You give you quarterback more time and your running backs holes to run through and you score points. Especially in the red zone.
Rep coming your way. I don't know about a total overhall of the o-line, but who ever the QB is in the future...May we please have an outstanding OLT propect one of these years. With a down class of DB's and RB's...why not this year ? Agreed with your list. Basically, the previous regime made a lot of personel mistakes. We've been paying for them for two seasons now. We will turn the corner. Great draft last year. Need two more to get the ships rudder fixed.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006   #12
Wolf
100% Texan
 
Wolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Kerrville
Age: 44
Posts: 37,343
Rep Power: 109602 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: A Bad Example

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansLucky13 View Post
QB is not an area we need to fix. We agree on that one.

I rank it like this....

1) Secondary (CB specifically, FS possibly)
2) O-line (depth)
3) D-line (depth)

Other than that it really can come down to BPA.
true

I'd put OLB's at #3
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006   #13
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Katy, Texas
Age: 58
Posts: 6,644
Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: A Bad Example

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCD View Post
This is a bit off-topic and I may be incorrect, but I heard that it was pretty much Dre Bly's comments on him being a terrible QB that helped to run him out of town. Am I right on that?
Yep. That and the fact that Mouch did nothing to quash the talk. You've seen what the baracudas have done to Carr on this board. Once Mouch didn't get in the way of the snow ball, there was nothing to stop that avalanch. I dissagree with the thread starters comparison though. Carr is not slew footed. Carr given time, will go through his progresions. Carr is very athletic. He doesn't have the release that Manning or Brady has, but he's not near as slow as Joey is. As stated by others, Carr is good enough, or was, to get this team where it wants to go. As soon as he is droped from the Texans roster, he will be pciked up by someone. It ain't the quaterback.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger