Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 11-23-2006   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Bad news for Green Bay

Quote:
onsider this a football public service announcement.

It's likely many fans not in the Milwaukee and Green Bay areas who go to their TV sets on Thursday night Dec. 21 expecting to see the Green Bay Packers play the Minnesota Vikings won't be able to watch the game.

That's because the game is being broadcast nationally on the NFL Network, which is not available on all cable TV providers, including Time Warner Cable, which has the lion's share of the market in the state of Wisconsin.

The NFL Network has not reached agreement with some major cable distributors, including Time Warner, and unless it does, many viewers in both Wisconsin and Minnesota won't be able to see the telecast of the Packers-Vikings game.

That circumstance is without precedent for NFL viewers.
Advertisement

The NFL Network is owned and operated by the National Football League.

"I truly am sorry that fans who have been so loyal and good to this franchise aren't going to get a chance to see that game," said Bob Harlan, chairman and chief executive officer of the Packers. "That definitely is a concern to me."

Money, of course, is the reason the NFL Network is battling with Time Warner Cable and Cablevision, another major cable provider.

According to one report, the three-year-old NFL Network wants to be put on basic cable tiers at $0.70 per subscriber a month. Another report pegs it at $0.80 per subscriber.

Time Warner and Cablevision are prepared to offer something around $0.25 a subscription. The sides are stalemated.

The NFL is suing another cable operator, Comcast, because Comcast plans to move the NFL Network to a sports tier next year. The NFL claims that's a violation of the contract it has with Comcast.

If the NFL Network fails to reach agreement by Dec. 21 - no one is offering optimistic predictions - the Packers-Vikings telecast will be available in only a fraction of TV households nationally, including Wisconsin.

The good news is viewers in Green Bay and Milwaukee will be able to see the game, because league television policy applies to the NFL Network just as it always has for NFL games on ESPN. All NFL games on cable television must be made available to over-the-air stations in the markets of the competing teams. Both Milwaukee and Green Bay are considered the home markets of the Packers.
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=534574
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006   #2
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Bad new for Green Bay

I love DirecTV.
Old 11-23-2006   #3
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

Boo on the NFL network. Doesn't the NFL already make enough money?
Old 11-23-2006   #4
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerfulDragon View Post
Here is good article on the situation - http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/061121/cable...work.html?.v=3

snippet:
The issue is cost. Spokesman Mark Harrad says Time Warner would have to pay $140 million a year to provide the channel to all 13.5 million of its subscribers in 33 states, placing it in the top five most expensive cable networks. He said the company would prefer to carry the network as part of a premium service -- not at the rate of 70 cents per customer per month the network is reportedly seeking.

"If we put all expensive sports programming on the standard tier of service, that would increase our rates to all of our customers, even those who didn't particularly care about football or these games," said Harrad.

NFL Network spokesman Seth Palansky counters that a number of other cable companies as well as the two main satellite providers are "happily" carrying the network, which is jointly owned by the league's 32 team owners.

"It's the most valuable programming a cable company can offer, and a cable company not carrying live NFL games is like a grocery store not carrying milk," Palansky said.
Old 11-23-2006   #5
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Bad news for Green Bay

I do not like DTV, I live in austin and I get better stuff going through timewarner, because not only do I have digital cable, dvr but I also have my internet and phone. One smooth package that cost $100 a month. NFL network is screwing the cable companies out of money by saying it has to be on the basic package and giving $0.70 (now it says per customer or is that per tv in the household that is hooked u with cable) What is the cable company making off the deal? Nothing absolutely nothing.

The cable companies are in a lose - lose situation here and now so are the fans. Thanks to the No Fun League. Sounds like colusion or a violation fo the anti-trust laws, but I am not a lawyer and I do not play one on message boards.
Specnatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006   #6
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 45478 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

What's the point of putting games on this network when nobody can watch it? It'll be interesting to see what the ratings are and how they'll be for the rest of the Thursday night package.
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006   #7
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 45929 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerfulDragon View Post
The current pace of accelerating contracts, both coaching and players, has pushed the cost of network television nearly to the limit...

Advertisers will not be able to sustain the ever rising cost of free televising of NFL games much longer.

ABC dropping the ever popular MNF was the beginning of the end.

The NFL network is the first step.

The NFL will one day soon, in my opinion, be a PPV product.

I will be content watching my fighting Irish play on TV.

Old 11-23-2006   #8
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

your fighting irish better do me a favor and beat USC... since Bush I am hating USC and the media coverage
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006   #9
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

It's all stupid greed, but I'll feel sorry for Green Bay when the Texans are playing on Thanksgiving.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006   #10
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 45929 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
your fighting irish better do me a favor and beat USC... since Bush I am hating USC and the media coverage
Irish fans don't think too highly of USC either.

I love the Irish, but I am a realistic fan and fear our D will not be up to the challenge.

But I will watch and probably cuss a little, kinda like I do during Texan games.

We do have high hopes with Weis at the controls.

Old 11-23-2006   #11
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
I hate USC and Notre Dame because of last year we almost missed the beginning of the Charlotte Nextel Cup race because it ran so late

But it would be great to see Notre Dame win so they at least have a shot at going to the national championship game. That would be pretty amazing.

And I'm sure Green Bay fans can find somewhere to watch it. When the Packers aren't on here there are places you can go to watch the Packers (unlike the Texans). They get to see almost every game if not all of them of their favorite team - and I'm just pumped that the Oakland game is going to be televised here.
Old 11-23-2006   #12
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

As an Irish fan myself, I can not stand the poodle and all the pub USC gets. My gut will be wrenched the entire game hoping, praying and wishing for an ND victory.

I will be cursing and everytime something happens I do not like I will throw my nerfball against the wall hoping the next play goes the Irish's way.

GO IRISH, kick some usc butt all over the place.
Specnatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006   #13
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

I could have swore I saw some NFL spokesperson say that local games will still be locally televised, but that they will show up nationally on the NFL network at the same time.

Guess I was mistaken.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read