Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-20-2006   #1
DenverBorn
Veteran

Default Indifference to losing

Watching some of the locker room interviews last night then reading some of these posts today, where are the players/coaches/fans who get really mad about losing? I haven't read every post but whether it was Kubiak on Channel 13 last night or many of the posts today, all anyone wants to say is "we did some things well", or "we rushed for 188 yards" or "well we stopped Buffalo for most of the game".

I have frequently contended that the culture of this franchise is to play respectably, not to win. I was hoping the coaching change would fix things, but apparently not. After yesterday's debacle I would have expected a lot more anger in the locker room interviews, but all we got was rationalization and resignation. Oh well, way to go guys, we played em close.
DenverBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006   #2
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 406301 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Indifference to losing

People become numb to losing for five seasons straight and never having a winning record in franchise history. I'm not sure if losing breeds apathy in everyone, but I know it does in some (both players and fans). One of the keys to a good coach is motivating players out of losing mindsets and into winning attitudes.

I have no doubt that these players hated losing yesterday. It stinks, and as professionals, I know they've got pride. Just because they don't display it in public doesn't mean that it's not there, IMO.
Old 11-20-2006   #3
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 74078 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Just because they don't display it in public doesn't mean that it's not there, IMO.
Just because they don't display it in public doesn't mean it is there either.

Last year I think it was clear that some of the players that are still on the team were mailing it in. It remains to be seen if they cop that attitude again before this year is over or not. They look better about it so far.
Old 11-20-2006   #4
DenverBorn
Veteran

Here's half the story from www.houstonprofootball.com

Quote:
Despite the loss, the Texans outperformed the Bills in several key statistics. The team rushed for 188 yards, held the ball for almost five minutes longer than the Bills, and converted half of their third and fourth down attempts.

Texans quarterback David Carr also tied an NFL record by completing 22 consecutive passes, a mark set by the Redskins' Mark Brunell against the Texans in Week 3. He and his teammates will try to regroup on the road again, traveling next week to the Meadowlands for a game with the Jets.
WHO CARES? WE LOST!
DenverBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006   #5
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 406301 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
Just because they don't display it in public doesn't mean it is there either.

Last year I think it was clear that some of the players that are still on the team were mailing it in. It remains to be seen if they cop that attitude again before this year is over or not.
Yeah, this is true. BUT, last year you could clearly see it in the team's attitude on the field from the beginning of the season. They didn't hustle, and they just had a general apathy that emanated from their demeanor. It's from this attitude and losing seven in a row that the infamous "Fire Capers Club" was born (heck, Capers even adopted Jack Pardee's blank stare look...like he's lost control of the team).

I don't see that apathy on the field this season. I see guys busting their rears trying to make plays, and they're just making mistakes and getting beat. I see a different team this year than last year's. It's a different kind of stink.
Old 11-20-2006   #6
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 74078 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Yeah, this is true. BUT, last year you could clearly see it in the team's attitude on the field from the beginning of the season. They didn't hustle, and they just had a general apathy that emanated from their demeanor. It's from this attitude and losing seven in a row that the infamous "Fire Capers Club" was born (heck, Capers even adopted Jack Pardee's blank stare look...like he's lost control of the team).

I don't see that apathy on the field this season. I see guys busting their rears trying to make plays, and they're just making mistakes and getting beat. I see a different team this year than last year's. It's a different kind of stink.
Agreed. You quoted me while I was adding this sentence to my original post:

They look better about it so far.
Old 11-20-2006   #7
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

I feel disappointment.. and dread at what I will have to read from fans for the week after a loss.

Sometimes I get angry.. but not all that often. I think it is because I trust this staff and I like where they are taking the team, and how much promise we have shown. I dont feel like we are stuck in a rut anymore.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-20-2006   #8
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

From the fans perspective, I like the reaction this week much better than I what I was reading on the boards a couple of weeks back from the Giants game.

On players and coaches, I really try not to read who is trying hard or cares more etc. Alot of the players who are jumping around, screaming and such are not the ones doing the work in the week. some of the generic speak, stoics are the one who really give a clip.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read