Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

What separates AJ from the other top receivers in the NFL

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
I dont have one word to describe it but ill just say it like this...

Ocho Cinco wouldn't have let Nate Clements snatch the ball from him on that INT play the first drive of the game. He would've fought for that ball and it would've either been incomplete or a reception for a long gain. Definitely wouldn't have been an INT.

Until AJ starts doing the little things like that, no matter how many receptions he gets he is not ELITE like Ocho Cinco, Marvin Harrison, Steve Smith, Torry Holt, and the like.

I believe the word you're looking for is "tenacity".

The quality that allows you to dominate along w/ physical gifts. NOT saying he doesn't have heart b/c he's clearly a competitor.

Man... what terrible fans we are becoming.

Do me a favor and think back to all the passes like that that Johnson has come down with. Additionally, consider the overthrown pass later in the game where Johnson took the penalty rather than letting the CB intercept.

Finally, grow up and quit trying to tear down our best players so that you will feel better about yourself. We are a young team that is still losing games.. that isnt an excuse for small minded individuals to drag our best players down and belittle thier contributions and hard work.

Man... what terrible fans we are becoming.

Do me a favor and think back to all the passes like that that Johnson has come down with. Additionally, consider the overthrown pass later in the game where Johnson took the penalty rather than letting the CB intercept.

Finally, grow up and quit trying to tear down our best players so that you will feel better about yourself. We are a young team that is still losing games.. that isnt an excuse for small minded individuals to drag our best players down and belittle thier contributions and hard work.

If I was trying to tear down AJ I would've brought down the numerous dropped passes he's had this season while everyone else is talking about Carr being the 33rd best qb in the league. But im not, im merely saying if he is to be considered an ELITE receiver he has to take that ball from Nate Clements.

Im sure even you can agree with that no? Or are we supposed to hold everyone accountable except our best player when we lose?

No..i dont agree. I cant name a single receiver in the history of the game who hasnt had a bad play before.

Andre Johnson is the #1 receiver in the league right now, and he has earned it so far. Yes he has dropped some passes..but he has caught alot freakin more.. and has made play after play for us.

There is absolutely no excuse AT ALL for bashing Andre Johnson. His hands are the absolute LEAST of our problems. He is most likely the best player on our team, and is most definatly a top 10 WR in the NFL.

There is no excuse at all to point out he should've come down with that jump ball Nate Clements came down with?

When Peyton Manning throws an INT is noone allowed to point that out because he is the Colts best player?

How does a really good player improve if noone points out their mistakes?

Should every bad Andre Johnson play be referred to "the incident we must never speak of" from now on?

All those WR's you listed have pro bowl QB's throwing them the football with the exception of Chad Johnson, but I would have a hard time finding someone who thought Carr is better than Carson Palmer ... who has actually been to the playoffs.

Jake Delhomme and Marc Bulger are not the super qbs you speak of, although they are very good.

But you're just another one in the crowd that chooses to blame Carr no matter what from the sounds of it :lightning:

Not saying even Carr is a top qb, not saying AJ isn't a top 10 receiver. But I am saying Carr isn't the bottom dweller most of you think he is and I am saying AJ is not yet the ELITE receiver most of you like to think he is (although I think he has the potential to be)

Could you have come down with the ball in that exact situation?? Answer is no, so lay off AJ. Those who can't do it themselves definitely shouldn't criticize others.

There's nothing wrong with Andre's hands. The problem is he doesn't use them enough. He needs to learn to reach out and snag the pass with his hands rather than let it come into his body.

That's about the only knock I have on Andre and it's fixable. Just make him sit in a room and watch Marvin Harrison and Torry Holt. I can't remember the last time I saw Holt drop a catchable ball and it never hits his body until he tucks it in.

This team has a lot of problems to worry over. Our best player is a rookie linebacker. That says a ton.

Andre is the leading receiver in the NFL and for the most part looks good doing it. I'm happy he's a Texan.

No..i dont agree. I cant name a single receiver in the history of the game who hasnt had a bad play before.

Andre Johnson is the #1 receiver in the league right now, and he has earned it so far. Yes he has dropped some passes..but he has caught alot freakin more.. and has made play after play for us.

There is absolutely no excuse AT ALL for bashing Andre Johnson. His hands are the absolute LEAST of our problems. He is most likely the best player on our team, and is most definatly a top 10 WR in the NFL.

I've seen several times today that AJ is the number 1 receiver in the league right now. Either you are living a month behind me, or you're looking at different stats, but he's not. He hasn't been for like 3 weeks.

Additionally, I don't understand all of the bashing on AJ for the interception. I'm not hating on Carr for the play, don't get me wrong. Watch the replay again. AJ had to CATCH UP to the ball and fought with Nate Clements after he had his arm wrapped around it. AJ and Clements didn't get their hands on it at even remotely the same time, AJ had to go around to the other side of Clements to get a shot at it, IIRC. It was a combination of a bad pass and a good play on the ball by Clements (hey, by the way, there is a such thing as the other team doing something well, rather than us screwing it up for ourselves: a notion I see very little of on this board, for obvious reasons, but still).

I think another thing that they have going for them is that they have great compliments at Wide Receiver with them. T.O. has Terry Glenn and had Rice, Torry Holt had Issac Bruce, Chad has T.J., Smith had Muhammad and now has Keyshawn, and Harrison has Wayne and Stokely.

This is not to take ANYTHING away from these guys, but it helps when you aren't the defenses only focus on every play.

A.J. matches them in speed, matches or beats them in size and leaping ability, and I know he is willing to fight for the ball.

Sometimes it looks like he lacks desire though. All these guys go all out every play, or at least used to. They did whatever it took to get their hands on the ball and get into the endzone.

Holt still produces without a great team, Chad is on and off, Smith is always on fire, as is Harrison (though he doesn't need to be).

T.O. is the exception. BUT when he was with San Francisco, before the controversy, he caught 19 passes in one game. That is the Terrell Owens that I like to remember...the one that played for the love of the game, back when it wasn't "All about me". As a side note, this was also when he was Terrell not that "white guy spelling" *sorry i couldn't figure out a different way to spell it*

I think as AJ matures as a receiver, all this will come together. One thing we can be glad of is the lack of an attitude. But with this lack of attitude comes a lack of intensity, but that should change soon.

There is no excuse at all to point out he should've come down with that jump ball Nate Clements came down with?

First, that was not a jump ball. David was getting hit as he threw it, and I'm sure it didn't go anywhere near where he wanted it to go. Secondly, NateClements was in better position to get that ball than AJ was. Third, AJ is not a defensive back, and forth....... AJ should have came down with that ball.

if we're going to consider him Elite.

But...... every other pass that he or Eric, or Jameel, or anyone who caught a ball this season... has been thrown behind them. That's just where David likes to put them I guess.

there may have been a few that were in front, but for the most part, David likes to throw behind his recievers.

And considering the YAC Andre's been getting, I'd say he's Elite.

I wouldnt berate a neurosurgeon because he isnt smart enough to understand astrophysics.

If you want to say that AJ is not yet an elite receiver, fine, but this is a bad example. Carr has been able to throw plenty of jump balls to andre this year, and he has come down with them most of the time, and if he didnt, they were incomplete, not intercepted. One example of Andre not getting the jump ball is not good enough to make an arguement for him lacking the "drive" to get jump balls... not by a long shot.

Johnson is still young and so is our offense.. so it is hard to say he is an elite receiver when we arent winning alot of games.. but he has not shown anything that makes me believe he isnt an elite receiver.. he needs to be a LITTLE more consistant.. but he is invaluable to this team, and hands down the best player on our offense. He is leading the league statistically.. and yah, statistics dont make a superstar, but if the plays directly below andre are any indication, he is either a superstar, or on the verge of superstardom.

All those WR's you listed have pro bowl QB's throwing them the football with the exception of Chad Johnson, but I would have a hard time finding someone who thought Carr is better than Carson Palmer ... who has actually been to the playoffs.

So with that mentality Andre shouldn't even be as good as is. He probably could have posted big numbers last year with Alex Smith. I think AJ is an awesome receiver, Carr deserves some of the credit for his stats. When AJ went to the Pro Bowl it was Carr throwing to him,they have a chemistry like Peyton and Harrison. The Texans are my team and I get sick of the bashing,no matter which player it is. I get excited when the team does well,but I don't smack talk out of frustration. The only player I wish we hadn't aquired would be Ron Dayne,he's not a Texan he's just an ex Bronco that screwed up a good rookie tackle in Charles Spencer.

AJ's best days are ahead of him and his ceiling is high.

Once the Texans' QB has the ability to execute a full NFL playbook and throw the ball without the notion that his life is in danger as long as he holds onto the ball we will be pleasantly surprised at what we did not unleash due to it all being about the development of Carr.

The Panthers are 5-2 in the post season with Delhomme under center. He is not a "super QB" like Manning but he's been in one more Super Bowl than Manning (who has never been) and he played a fantastic game at that. Steve Smith didn't have a big year until Delhomme got there. If I am given a choice of Delhomme over Carr I pick Delhomme as long as he's not dead.

Oh, wait... leading receiver... in receptions? Give me a break.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/leaders/NFL/RECYDS/2006/regular

Yeah... 14 more receptions than most other people, but yet, less yards. I'm sorry, but no. Not number 1 in my eyes. Yardage means a lot more to me than catches; YPC more than either, which again, he is actually lower than most other people on the list.

if you go to the stats page on NFL.com.. go down to the bottom, hit Wide Recievers, then hit complete NFL and process it.. AJ is on top.

No he isnt leading in every catagory.. he is only #1 in receptions I believe... top 10 in a few others.. top 15 or so in TDs.. he is low on the totem poll on yards per catch, but that has alot to do with the offense we are running.

No matter what the case, complaining about AJ is petty and *****ic.

BTW.. this "lacks desire" thing.. its in your head.. AJ has done absolutely nothing on the field that would lead to that assumption. Actually..I have seen him get angry, I have seen him grab balls over the middle knowing he was gonna get smeared, I have seen him talk smack and I have seen him break the rules to get an advantage on the guy covering him.. these are not he actions of a man who doesnt want to win. If you want to watch a soap opera, im sure you will find many shows on every sunday with all the drama and hidden character flaws that your little heart can handle.. but please keep your Soap Opera Digest away from my team.

The Panthers are 5-2 in the post season with Delhomme under center. He is not a "super QB" like Manning but he's been in one more Super Bowl than Manning (who has never been) and he played a fantastic game at that. Steve Smith didn't have a big year until Delhomme got there. If I am given a choice of Delhomme over Carr I pick Delhomme as long as he's not dead.

and I'd take the Panther's defense and run game at this time too

if you go to the stats page on NFL.com.. go down to the bottom, hit Wide Recievers, then hit complete NFL and process it.. AJ is on top.

No he isnt leading in every catagory.. he is only #1 in receptions I believe... top 10 in a few others.. top 15 or so in TDs.. he is low on the totem poll on yards per catch, but that has alot to do with the offense we are running.

No matter what the case, complaining about AJ is petty and *****ic.

BTW.. this "lacks desire" thing.. its in your head.. AJ has done absolutely nothing on the field that would lead to that assumption. Actually..I have seen him get angry, I have seen him grab balls over the middle knowing he was gonna get smeared, I have seen him talk smack and I have seen him break the rules to get an advantage on the guy covering him.. these are not he actions of a man who doesnt want to win. If you want to watch a soap opera, im sure you will find many shows on every sunday with all the drama and hidden character flaws that your little heart can handle.. but please keep your Soap Opera Digest away from my team.

pss... click on the link...

If the rest of your post was directed at me, sorry if I came off that way. Personally, I think that AJ either is, or can be, one of the best players on our team. I've been very impressed with his past performances, with the exception of the drops. Most of Carr's downfield passes (which, granted, have been few and far between) have been jumpballs towards AJ - most of which, he has come down with.

So with that mentality Andre shouldn't even be as good as is.

No I was pretty much saying that if you take AJ off this team then Carr's production falls off.

And before you go knocking Alex Smith don't forget that his team just did something the Texans have never done with Carr - win 3 in a row. They are at .500 and 1 game back of Seattle.

Nate Clements gets paid too. I don't have a problem with the pass by Carr - he trusted AJ to make a play and usually he does. I don't have a problem with AJ losing that battle, because he does win his fair share.

AJ does seem to lead the world in receptions to the 1-yd line though. Just one of those odd, fluke things I've noticed.

But yeah, AJ is the best offensive player on this team. I've criticized him for his hands on occasion, but lately, he's been pulling them in at a good rate. He should be in the Pro Bowl this year (go vote!!).

yah I clicked the link.. I was just telling you where to find the stats I was looking at. The ones I was looking at were just "top WRs".. now, I dont know how nfl.com tallys thier top WRs.. AJ may be at the top simply because he has the most receptions, or maybe they have some formula that puts all the stats together and gives a rating, im not sure.. but AJ is at the top in most every important stat.

And no, the rest of my post wasnt directed at you. Sorry, should have specified. And im glad to see that some of our fans memories do extend past the previous day. Rep for you.

Nate Clements gets paid too. I don't have a problem with the pass by Carr - he trusted AJ to make a play and usually he does. I don't have a problem with AJ losing that battle, because he does win his fair share.

AJ does seem to lead the world in receptions to the 1-yd line though. Just one of those odd, fluke things I've noticed.

But yeah, AJ is the best offensive player on this team. I've criticized him for his hands on occasion, but lately, he's been pulling them in at a good rate. He should be in the Pro Bowl this year (go vote!!).

Aj was also leading in Yards before last weeks games.....

That pass was not a jump ball David threw up trusting AJ..... it was an errant pass that had more air under it than David would have liked, but it was what it was as David got smashed by a guy Winston froze on.

Also, something that doesn't show up in those stats..... AJ's YAC comes after he's dodged one or two players.... because the ball rarely goes his way if Aj doesn't run the underneath routes.

No I was pretty much saying that if you take AJ off this team then Carr's production falls off.

And before you go knocking Alex Smith don't forget that his team just did something the Texans have never done with Carr - win 3 in a row. They are at .500 and 1 game back of Seattle.

Smith did that? I thought those games came from Frank Gores legs, Smith had like 105 yds before the Seattle game. I don't think he even broke 100 against the Vikings. I'd if we won 3 in a row with those stats you would still be a Carr hater.

BTW.. this "lacks desire" thing.. its in your head.. AJ has done absolutely nothing on the field that would lead to that assumption. Actually..I have seen him get angry, I have seen him grab balls over the middle knowing he was gonna get smeared, I have seen him talk smack and I have seen him break the rules to get an advantage on the guy covering him.. these are not he actions of a man who doesnt want to win. If you want to watch a soap opera, im sure you will find many shows on every sunday with all the drama and hidden character flaws that your little heart can handle.. but please keep your Soap Opera Digest away from my team.[/QUOTE]

Every player in the NFL has done that, or they wouldn't be there. There is holding on every single play. With wide outs vs corners there is bumping every play. The difference between AJ and these guys, they win every time. thats what im trying to say. Dont get me wrong. I love AJ and am happy with his production, I couldnt ask for more. The guy asked what seperates him from those guys, I simply added what i saw. Im not saying he sucks, id be a fool to. Do i think hes at the level of TO, 85, Moss, and others, not yet, but he can and will be, with time, but you can't tell me hes perfect, cause then you'd be the D.A. He has to fix some things before he becomes the best in the league. He doesn't get seperation nearly as well as those other guys. So i stick by what i said, he doesn't have that desire yet, that he is going to beat that corner every play, and every play is going all the way. He doesn't consistently blow by corners. Give it time and he will, but hes just not there yet.

Thanks Grid. My point was just that there was a distinction between number 1 and top... something that most people aren't making. Number 1, to me, is either most yards or most yards per catch (with a good number of catches)--not most catches.

When we can say that AJ is the number 1 WR in the league after the first 7-8 weeks or so, then we have something we can point to and say, "we did something right." I think that having that would, at the least, give our franchise some credit for the media, in turn giving our franchise some much needed confidence. Right now, I'm willing to take whatever confidence we can get. It may be the difference in the last 2 minutes of certain games.

Every player in the NFL has done that, or they wouldn't be there. There is holding on every single play. With wide outs vs corners there is bumping every play. The difference between AJ and these guys, they win every time. thats what im trying to say. Dont get me wrong. I love AJ and am happy with his production, I couldnt ask for more. The guy asked what seperates him from those guys, I simply added what i saw. Im not saying he sucks, id be a fool to. Do i think hes at the level of TO, 85, Moss, and others, not yet, but he can and will be, with time, but you can't tell me hes perfect, cause then you'd be the D.A. He has to fix some things before he becomes the best in the league. He doesn't get seperation nearly as well as those other guys. So i stick by what i said, he doesn't have that desire yet, that he is going to beat that corner every play, and every play is going all the way. He doesn't consistently blow by corners. Give it time and he will, but hes just not there yet.

Other receivers only win every time on Sportscenter. They drop passes too. Throws to them get swatted down too. They get shut down, they get intercepted, id bet that sometimes..they even lose a jump ball.

Other receivers only win every time on Sportscenter. They drop passes too. Throws to them get swatted down too. They get shut down, they get intercepted, id bet that sometimes..they even lose a jump ball.

Do they also let a ball bounce off their numbers and into the NFL's version of Little John's hands?

Stop acting like losing the jump ball is the only thing AJ's done this season. He's done far more good than bad, but he is not immune to criticism, noone on a 3-7 football team is....that's not an opinion that is FACT.

PS: To the guy that asked if I could have taken the ball from Clements and if I couldn't then I have no right to talk...

This is what we call a message board where fans can post their opinions. If there weren't fans with opinions there would be no jump ball for AJ and Nate to fight for. Have you never commented on a professional sports game before? Is everyone in the stadium supposed to sit in their seats quietly watching the game? Should a no talking rule be instituted for the fans? Is there such a thing as free speech in America? Can I think of more questions to ask?

Smith did that? I thought those games came from Frank Gores legs, Smith had like 105 yds before the Seattle game. I don't think he even broke 100 against the Vikings. I'd if we won 3 in a row with those stats you would still be a Carr hater.

Where did I say it was because of Alex Smith? I didn't, that's where. Your comment implied that Smith is a significant downgrade from Carr even though their numbers are pretty close this year.

Where did I say it was because of Alex Smith? I didn't, that's where. Your comment implied that Smith is a significant downgrade from Carr even though their numbers are pretty close this year.

I actually said that I would have liked to have seen AJ put up his numbers last year with Alex Smith last year. Maybe he could have, I do remember the Texans losing to the Niners last year without Carr in the game.

Oh, wait... leading receiver... in receptions? Give me a break.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/leaders/NFL/RECYDS/2006/regular

Yeah... 14 more receptions than most other people, but yet, less yards. I'm sorry, but no. Not number 1 in my eyes. Yardage means a lot more to me than catches; YPC more than either, which again, he is actually lower than most other people on the list.

Umm catches are pretty important. If you average about 12 yards a catch, then most of your catches are going for 1st downs. The things AJ lacks is a lot of big plays. I think he has 1 catch of 55 against Washington, and about 4 of 40 yards. Other then that, he has had a bunch of catches for 25 yards and less, meaning that he has very few big plays to inflate his yardage and ypc. Its like a running back that dosnt get a bunch of big plays, but he consitantnly gets enough for the first down. AJ is the Edgerin James (while he was with the Colts) of WR's this season. He is also the most targetted receiver in the NFL and over 35% of all our pass attempts are aimed at him.

OK this is from NFL.com:
AJ's career long is 54 yards. He has only had eleven catches for more than 40
T.O.: Long-91 yards 40+:42
Smith: Long-80 yards 40+: 19 and thats with only 1 game in '04 and starting 1 in '01
Holt: Long-85 yards 40+: 34
Harrison: Long-80 yards 40+: 37
85: Long-82 yards 40+:29
By the way AJ only has 16 career TD catches.
In a single season, Harrison, Holt, 85, T.O., and Smith have all had 10 plus TDs

I would also like to add Randy Moss to the list.
Long of 82, 57 catches for 40+ and more than 10 TDs in '98,'99,'00,'01,'03, and '04

In his first season alone compare his stats with AJs career

Moss 69 catches, 1313 yards, 17 TDs, 14 for 40+, 51 first downs
AJ 282 catches, 3690 yards, 16 TDs, 11 for 40+, 179 first downs

do you really want me to keep going? are does it hurt enough. AJ isnt on their level yet.

When we can say that AJ is the number 1 WR in the league after the first 7-8 weeks or so, then we have something we can point to and say, "we did something right." I think that having that would, at the least, give our franchise some credit for the media, in turn giving our franchise some much needed confidence. Right now, I'm willing to take whatever confidence we can get. It may be the difference in the last 2 minutes of certain games.

This is week 11. Andre was leading in Yards after week 8.

AJ stinks.

Who cares about his stats. His stats don't win us games.

We still lose.

I mean, that's the line the Carr haters are carrying....so it goes for AJ and Meco. Those guys stink as bad as Carr if we apply the same logic.

Don't ya' think?

AJ stinks.

We still lose.

I mean, that's the line the Carr haters are carrying....so it goes for AJ and Meco. Those guys stink as bad as Carr if we apply the same logic.

Don't ya' think?

STOP ALL THAT UNBIASED THINKING!!!

OK this is from NFL.com:
AJ's career long is 54 yards. He has only had eleven catches for more than 40
T.O.: Long-91 yards 40+:42
Smith: Long-80 yards 40+: 19 and thats with only 1 game in '04 and starting 1 in '01
Holt: Long-85 yards 40+: 34
Harrison: Long-80 yards 40+: 37
85: Long-82 yards 40+:29
By the way AJ only has 16 career TD catches.
In a single season, Harrison, Holt, 85, T.O., and Smith have all had 10 plus TDs

I would also like to add Randy Moss to the list.
Long of 82, 57 catches for 40+ and more than 10 TDs in '98,'99,'00,'01,'03, and '04

In his first season alone compare his stats with AJs career

Moss 69 catches, 1313 yards, 17 TDs, 14 for 40+, 51 first downs
AJ 282 catches, 3690 yards, 16 TDs, 11 for 40+, 179 first downs

do you really want me to keep going? are does it hurt enough. AJ isnt on their level yet.
The same reasons Carr has struggled apply to AJ's lack of big plays. If you are getting sacked at a record pace, its a little unlikley the coaches are going to be calling the 7 step drops needed to get the ball downfield. What do you expect to happen when for his first 3 years about half the balls thrown in his direction were hitches a yard behind the line of scrimmage?

AJ stinks.

We still lose.

Don't ya' think?

Are you really going out on a limb to hate on our two best players and sacrifice your virtual integrity for a QB that has done jack over four years? Preach on preacher!

The same reasons Carr has struggled apply to AJ's lack of big plays. If you are getting sacked at a record pace, its a little unlikley the coaches are going to be calling the 7 step drops needed to get the ball downfield. What do you expect to happen when for his first 3 years about half the balls thrown in his direction were hitches a yard behind the line of scrimmage?

Both 83 yard TDs in yesterdays game, were on 5 step drops.

David went deep for Moulds & AJ, had he placed the ball where our guy could have got them, those would have been over 40 yards.

I'm just saying there have been opportunity..... the ball wasn't placed where it needed to be.

[Originally Posted by gpshafer_1976
AJ stinks.

We still lose.

Don't ya' think?

Are you really going out on a limb to hate on our two best players and sacrifice your virtual integrity for a QB that has done jack over four years? Preach on preacher!

How many more threads are there complaining about AJ than about CC Brown, Glenn Earl, Faggins, and Sanders?

There's very little to argue there.... we all know they all need to be replaced, and probably will be here in the next offseason or two. We all agree on this.

NOw...... there are some folks trying to make the argument that Andre sucks.... but I have a feeling they don't really believe that, they're just trying to get back at the Carr haters

There's very little to argue there.... we all know they all need to be replaced, and probably will be here in the next offseason or two. We all agree on this.

NOw...... there are some folks trying to make the argument that Andre sucks.... but I have a feeling they don't really believe that, they're just trying to get back at the Carr haters

Andre doesn't suck,Carr doesn't suck. Plummer sucks,he's got a great defense,wide receiver,running backs,and a good future QB backing him up. Plummer lost Denvers game last night period.

Both 83 yard TDs in yesterdays game, were on 5 step drops.

David went deep for Moulds & AJ, had he placed the ball where our guy could have got them, those would have been over 40 yards.

I'm just saying there have been opportunity..... the ball wasn't placed where it needed to be.

There is a differance between throwing at DeMarcus Faggins or a pro bowler in Nate Clemenes. It is possible for the other team to stop us from doing something, most of us Texans fans just arnt used to that because we usualy stop ourselves long before the other team has to.

Back