Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-20-2006   #1
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7874 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker
Default What separates AJ from the other top receivers in the NFL

I dont have one word to describe it but ill just say it like this...

Ocho Cinco wouldn't have let Nate Clements snatch the ball from him on that INT play the first drive of the game. He would've fought for that ball and it would've either been incomplete or a reception for a long gain. Definitely wouldn't have been an INT.

Until AJ starts doing the little things like that, no matter how many receptions he gets he is not ELITE like Ocho Cinco, Marvin Harrison, Steve Smith, Torry Holt, and the like.
Old 11-20-2006   #2
newbiefan
Rookie

Default Re: What separates AJ from the other top receivers in the NFL

I believe the word you're looking for is "tenacity".

The quality that allows you to dominate along w/ physical gifts. NOT saying he doesn't have heart b/c he's clearly a competitor.
newbiefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006   #3
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Man... what terrible fans we are becoming.

Do me a favor and think back to all the passes like that that Johnson has come down with. Additionally, consider the overthrown pass later in the game where Johnson took the penalty rather than letting the CB intercept.

Finally, grow up and quit trying to tear down our best players so that you will feel better about yourself. We are a young team that is still losing games.. that isnt an excuse for small minded individuals to drag our best players down and belittle thier contributions and hard work.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006   #4
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7874 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid View Post
Man... what terrible fans we are becoming.

Do me a favor and think back to all the passes like that that Johnson has come down with. Additionally, consider the overthrown pass later in the game where Johnson took the penalty rather than letting the CB intercept.

Finally, grow up and quit trying to tear down our best players so that you will feel better about yourself. We are a young team that is still losing games.. that isnt an excuse for small minded individuals to drag our best players down and belittle thier contributions and hard work.
If I was trying to tear down AJ I would've brought down the numerous dropped passes he's had this season while everyone else is talking about Carr being the 33rd best qb in the league. But im not, im merely saying if he is to be considered an ELITE receiver he has to take that ball from Nate Clements.

Im sure even you can agree with that no? Or are we supposed to hold everyone accountable except our best player when we lose?

Last edited by TheRealJoker; 11-20-2006 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Last sentence
TheRealJoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006   #5
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

No..i dont agree. I cant name a single receiver in the history of the game who hasnt had a bad play before.

Andre Johnson is the #1 receiver in the league right now, and he has earned it so far. Yes he has dropped some passes..but he has caught alot freakin more.. and has made play after play for us.

There is absolutely no excuse AT ALL for bashing Andre Johnson. His hands are the absolute LEAST of our problems. He is most likely the best player on our team, and is most definatly a top 10 WR in the NFL.
Old 11-20-2006   #6
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

There is no excuse at all to point out he should've come down with that jump ball Nate Clements came down with?

When Peyton Manning throws an INT is noone allowed to point that out because he is the Colts best player?

How does a really good player improve if noone points out their mistakes?

Should every bad Andre Johnson play be referred to "the incident we must never speak of" from now on?
Old 11-20-2006   #7
JDizzle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3602 JDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respected

All those WR's you listed have pro bowl QB's throwing them the football with the exception of Chad Johnson, but I would have a hard time finding someone who thought Carr is better than Carson Palmer ... who has actually been to the playoffs.
JDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-20-2006   #8
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Jake Delhomme and Marc Bulger are not the super qbs you speak of, although they are very good.

But you're just another one in the crowd that chooses to blame Carr no matter what from the sounds of it

Not saying even Carr is a top qb, not saying AJ isn't a top 10 receiver. But I am saying Carr isn't the bottom dweller most of you think he is and I am saying AJ is not yet the ELITE receiver most of you like to think he is (although I think he has the potential to be)
Old 11-20-2006   #9
wwffan99tx
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 wwffan99tx is on the Pro-Bowl ballotwwffan99tx is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Could you have come down with the ball in that exact situation?? Answer is no, so lay off AJ. Those who can't do it themselves definitely shouldn't criticize others.
wwffan99tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006   #10
bad
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 bad is on the Pro-Bowl ballotbad is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

There's nothing wrong with Andre's hands. The problem is he doesn't use them enough. He needs to learn to reach out and snag the pass with his hands rather than let it come into his body.

That's about the only knock I have on Andre and it's fixable. Just make him sit in a room and watch Marvin Harrison and Torry Holt. I can't remember the last time I saw Holt drop a catchable ball and it never hits his body until he tucks it in.

This team has a lot of problems to worry over. Our best player is a rookie linebacker. That says a ton.

Andre is the leading receiver in the NFL and for the most part looks good doing it. I'm happy he's a Texan.

Vince Lombardi
bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006   #11
gameguy89
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid View Post
No..i dont agree. I cant name a single receiver in the history of the game who hasnt had a bad play before.

Andre Johnson is the #1 receiver in the league right now, and he has earned it so far. Yes he has dropped some passes..but he has caught alot freakin more.. and has made play after play for us.

There is absolutely no excuse AT ALL for bashing Andre Johnson. His hands are the absolute LEAST of our problems. He is most likely the best player on our team, and is most definatly a top 10 WR in the NFL.
I've seen several times today that AJ is the number 1 receiver in the league right now. Either you are living a month behind me, or you're looking at different stats, but he's not. He hasn't been for like 3 weeks.

Additionally, I don't understand all of the bashing on AJ for the interception. I'm not hating on Carr for the play, don't get me wrong. Watch the replay again. AJ had to CATCH UP to the ball and fought with Nate Clements after he had his arm wrapped around it. AJ and Clements didn't get their hands on it at even remotely the same time, AJ had to go around to the other side of Clements to get a shot at it, IIRC. It was a combination of a bad pass and a good play on the ball by Clements (hey, by the way, there is a such thing as the other team doing something well, rather than us screwing it up for ourselves: a notion I see very little of on this board, for obvious reasons, but still).
gameguy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006   #12
AlbinoRat
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to AlbinoRat

I think another thing that they have going for them is that they have great compliments at Wide Receiver with them. T.O. has Terry Glenn and had Rice, Torry Holt had Issac Bruce, Chad has T.J., Smith had Muhammad and now has Keyshawn, and Harrison has Wayne and Stokely.

This is not to take ANYTHING away from these guys, but it helps when you aren't the defenses only focus on every play.

A.J. matches them in speed, matches or beats them in size and leaping ability, and I know he is willing to fight for the ball.

Sometimes it looks like he lacks desire though. All these guys go all out every play, or at least used to. They did whatever it took to get their hands on the ball and get into the endzone.

Holt still produces without a great team, Chad is on and off, Smith is always on fire, as is Harrison (though he doesn't need to be).

T.O. is the exception. BUT when he was with San Francisco, before the controversy, he caught 19 passes in one game. That is the Terrell Owens that I like to remember...the one that played for the love of the game, back when it wasn't "All about me". As a side note, this was also when he was Terrell not that "white guy spelling" *sorry i couldn't figure out a different way to spell it*

I think as AJ matures as a receiver, all this will come together. One thing we can be glad of is the lack of an attitude. But with this lack of attitude comes a lack of intensity, but that should change soon.
Old 11-20-2006   #13
gameguy89
Rookie

Oh, wait... leading receiver... in receptions? Give me a break.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/leaders/NFL...S/2006/regular

Yeah... 14 more receptions than most other people, but yet, less yards. I'm sorry, but no. Not number 1 in my eyes. Yardage means a lot more to me than catches; YPC more than either, which again, he is actually lower than most other people on the list.
gameguy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006   #14
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
There is no excuse at all to point out he should've come down with that jump ball Nate Clements came down with?
First, that was not a jump ball. David was getting hit as he threw it, and I'm sure it didn't go anywhere near where he wanted it to go. Secondly, NateClements was in better position to get that ball than AJ was. Third, AJ is not a defensive back, and forth....... AJ should have came down with that ball.

if we're going to consider him Elite.

But...... every other pass that he or Eric, or Jameel, or anyone who caught a ball this season... has been thrown behind them. That's just where David likes to put them I guess.

there may have been a few that were in front, but for the most part, David likes to throw behind his recievers.

And considering the YAC Andre's been getting, I'd say he's Elite.
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006   #15
Grid
Hall of Fame

I wouldnt berate a neurosurgeon because he isnt smart enough to understand astrophysics.

If you want to say that AJ is not yet an elite receiver, fine, but this is a bad example. Carr has been able to throw plenty of jump balls to andre this year, and he has come down with them most of the time, and if he didnt, they were incomplete, not intercepted. One example of Andre not getting the jump ball is not good enough to make an arguement for him lacking the "drive" to get jump balls... not by a long shot.

Johnson is still young and so is our offense.. so it is hard to say he is an elite receiver when we arent winning alot of games.. but he has not shown anything that makes me believe he isnt an elite receiver.. he needs to be a LITTLE more consistant.. but he is invaluable to this team, and hands down the best player on our offense. He is leading the league statistically.. and yah, statistics dont make a superstar, but if the plays directly below andre are any indication, he is either a superstar, or on the verge of superstardom.
Old 11-20-2006   #16
ib4texans
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDizzle View Post
All those WR's you listed have pro bowl QB's throwing them the football with the exception of Chad Johnson, but I would have a hard time finding someone who thought Carr is better than Carson Palmer ... who has actually been to the playoffs.
So with that mentality Andre shouldn't even be as good as is. He probably could have posted big numbers last year with Alex Smith. I think AJ is an awesome receiver, Carr deserves some of the credit for his stats. When AJ went to the Pro Bowl it was Carr throwing to him,they have a chemistry like Peyton and Harrison. The Texans are my team and I get sick of the bashing,no matter which player it is. I get excited when the team does well,but I don't smack talk out of frustration. The only player I wish we hadn't aquired would be Ron Dayne,he's not a Texan he's just an ex Bronco that screwed up a good rookie tackle in Charles Spencer.
ib4texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006   #17
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

AJ's best days are ahead of him and his ceiling is high.

Once the Texans' QB has the ability to execute a full NFL playbook and throw the ball without the notion that his life is in danger as long as he holds onto the ball we will be pleasantly surprised at what we did not unleash due to it all being about the development of Carr.
Old 11-20-2006   #18
JDizzle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3602 JDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respected

The Panthers are 5-2 in the post season with Delhomme under center. He is not a "super QB" like Manning but he's been in one more Super Bowl than Manning (who has never been) and he played a fantastic game at that. Steve Smith didn't have a big year until Delhomme got there. If I am given a choice of Delhomme over Carr I pick Delhomme as long as he's not dead.
JDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006   #19
Grid
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameguy89 View Post
Oh, wait... leading receiver... in receptions? Give me a break.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/leaders/NFL...S/2006/regular

Yeah... 14 more receptions than most other people, but yet, less yards. I'm sorry, but no. Not number 1 in my eyes. Yardage means a lot more to me than catches; YPC more than either, which again, he is actually lower than most other people on the list.

if you go to the stats page on NFL.com.. go down to the bottom, hit Wide Recievers, then hit complete NFL and process it.. AJ is on top.

No he isnt leading in every catagory.. he is only #1 in receptions I believe... top 10 in a few others.. top 15 or so in TDs.. he is low on the totem poll on yards per catch, but that has alot to do with the offense we are running.

No matter what the case, complaining about AJ is petty and *****ic.

BTW.. this "lacks desire" thing.. its in your head.. AJ has done absolutely nothing on the field that would lead to that assumption. Actually..I have seen him get angry, I have seen him grab balls over the middle knowing he was gonna get smeared, I have seen him talk smack and I have seen him break the rules to get an advantage on the guy covering him.. these are not he actions of a man who doesnt want to win. If you want to watch a soap opera, im sure you will find many shows on every sunday with all the drama and hidden character flaws that your little heart can handle.. but please keep your Soap Opera Digest away from my team.
Old 11-20-2006   #20
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDizzle View Post
The Panthers are 5-2 in the post season with Delhomme under center. He is not a "super QB" like Manning but he's been in one more Super Bowl than Manning (who has never been) and he played a fantastic game at that. Steve Smith didn't have a big year until Delhomme got there. If I am given a choice of Delhomme over Carr I pick Delhomme as long as he's not dead.
and I'd take the Panther's defense and run game at this time too
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read