Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-20-2006   #1
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Are you still there? Are you still watching?

Being completely serious here I have to ask that question because the past few games have probably been harder to take than some of the early season blow-outs and we're going to lose some fans this year. There's going to be a number of "I'm out of here until they start winning" posts. Those are going to be a lot like cockroaches too. For every one you see there are probably ten people out there bailing on the Texans that you don't see. I'm here with some some relatively good news though so don't worry about it.

Are you ready to hear the good news? Well here it is; This is the worst it's going to get right now. It's not going to get any worse. We are literally at the most frustrating point in the Kubiak/Texans "development" so don't go bailing out on them now. Sure it might not get better (which would mean this regime was a failure) but it won't get worse, I give you my word on that.

Many of you will be saying right now that the beginning of the year with the terrible butt-kickings was worse. Technically speaking you're right but they weren't more frustrating then, they were just more inept. The progress (and yes there has been progress) has raised expectations and resulted in signs of the team having a pulse. This makes the mistakes harder to bear and it makes the current Texans harder to watch than probably any version of the team to date. We're at a milestone in the teams fortunes. In one direction lies improvement, respectability, and eventually a winning season (no, not this year of course but way to stay optimistic!). In the other direction lies failure and the Texans next head coach.

If you made it this far and you still care about what the Texans are doing you need to hold on until the end of the year. If things go nowhere the rest of the way then I'm not going to blame anyone for not coming back. I think that's more than reasonable. If you've invested 5 years in this team and you're just plain worn out by the losses then I can understand that. They're not an easy team to love at this point. Take a look at the Cowboys and how they've fared since that game in 2002. Do you know what their fans have that Texans fans don't (besides Super Bowls)? They have "the good times" to look back on. People in here tend to talk down about Cowboy fans living in the past but what do you do when you're team is rebuilding? You live in the past a little. Right now there are Titans fans out there suffering through another long losing season as they fumble around and rebuild but they look back at their first couple of years in Nashville and it gives them that little extra resolve they need to hang in with their team. That's the story throughout the NFL (with the exception of here, and maybe Detroit).

We don't have any good times to look back on to make this easier so we're all just going to have to suck it up and "take the pain". From Oiler days of old I know that this is the toughest part of the deal. This is "Hugh Campbell time" not "Chuck Studley time". This is where we find out if Gary Kubiak can do the job.

Heaven knows they're not good but they aren't bad either. Last year they were bad, no doubt about it. This year they've got a chance to win any game they're in from here on out. They'll tease you every week until they turn the corner or regress back to their former pitiful selves and all you can do is show up and hope for the best.

The good news is there's hope. That was in short supply this time last season.
Old 11-20-2006   #2
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84
Default Re: Are you still there? Are you still watching?

Amen, great post.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006   #3
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think I've ever followed a team that had the same basic problems for half a decade straight...it's been tough to get real excited even though I can see progress on some levels although some of our core problems never change.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006   #4
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I don't think I've ever followed a team that had the same basic problems for half a decade straight...it's been tough to get real excited even though I can see progress on some levels although some of our core problems never change.
I see this too. There is progress - some of our individual players are showing improvements, and sometimes our schemes/playcalling look very good. Both of these were rarities in the past.

However, we still have the same core problems - we have no depth, our offensive playbook is generally very limited, the team loses when the should win, etc. I think this team still has a losing attitdue; that hasn't changed. These deeper core problems are much harder to fix than those in the areas we've seen improvement.
Old 11-20-2006   #5
kingh99

I'm sorry but I don't think the Texans will ever be more than mediocre and perhaps not even mediocre with the current on field leadership. Maybe, MAYBE the defense could evolve into something Ravensque but barring that, no way they become big winners with Carr taking snaps. He's the anti-excitement just in the way he manages games. He plays not to lose. Yeah that's the trend in the NFL but he takes it to ridiculous extremes. I think he throws all that garbage in the flat and such because he can't see downfield. He can't see downfield for beans. Who was Sage hitting every game for a bomb in the preseason? Sage threw more TD's in a half than it seems like Dave has thrown in 3 weeks. I said seems, maybe Dave-o has thrown more than 3.
Old 11-20-2006   #6
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah I'm with ya.

I'm befuddled by the draft All Day (Adrian Peterson RB Oklahoma)#1 guys though. How, after you watch what you watched yesterday, could you possibly believe that a power back is going to elevate this group to the play offs ? Mind Boggling. No speed at the safty positions. Not one lb, not one mind you who can get to the QB consitantly on the blitz. A corner, who at best is a nickle DB. We're down to third team tackles on the o-line and street free agents at DT. The only thing postivie for the future is that Erick Winston is seeing some playing time. Everything else is something Kubes has to clean up from the last regime. Yeah you're right Vinny and one day someone in the organazation is going to get it. You build a frachise form the inside out. Not the outside in. This team dosen't have the tallent to win two in a row. Doesn't have the tallent to come out of the locker room and earn a feild goal try. When the best palys in the game are the suicide squand guys on punts, your team needs an infustion of tallent, desperatly. One running back ain't going to do it.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006   #7
Spike
Veteran

Rep Power: 20 Spike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of Famer

I absolutely agree that the last couple of losses were harder to swallow than the early season blowouts, or even many of the losses last year. That being said, I have followed this team from its first game and have thought several times that it couldn't get any worse. There is no reason to expect this team to win against teams with superior talent. We have too many holes and are still making too many mistakes to beat a superior team that plays an average game against us (See the Giants game).

What is absolutely killing me, even a day after the game, is that this team can't put two wins together and put together some momentum after a win. We had two excellent chances this season to put together back-to-back wins and try to get on some sort of roll (Tennessee and Buffalo) and both of these games this team totally failed to put things together. We have five turnovers against Tennessee on the road, and we lose by three. Yesterday, our defense - which has played so well the past couple of weeks - gives up two huge plays in the first five minutes of the game and we lose in the last minute of the game.

I guess what is making this team so hard to watch is that we seem incapable of making any consistent improvement from one week to another. You never know what team you are going to watch and you never know who or what part of the team is going to let you down. At times, it is like this team simply refuses to turn the corner.

Yesterday, I posted a message to this point asking whether anyone was really surprised about the outcome. Of course I wanted a better outcome, but what has this team ever done to make you think that they could pull it out two weeks in a row? I don't know whether it is inconsistent play or this organization just still doesn't know what it takes to win. I was really hoping to see that improve the second half of this season, but we completely failed yesterday by losing to a team with comparable talent, at home. You can't do anyting as an organization until you beat the teams you are supposed to beat...at home...in front of the home crowd.
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-20-2006   #8
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

It was a heartbreaker, but the fan in me will take it. When we went down 14-0 the way we did, the rag tag defense could have folded. But they held and scored a TD as well. Bruised and battered they could not stop the Bills on the last drive, but who thought that the defense would be where it is today given a change in defensive philosophy, starting two rookies and dealing with the injuries.

Kubiak made the right call due to the way the defense has played and hoping to kick start the putrid offense again.

I expected 6 wins and incremental improvement. The six wins is still feasible and the improvement is everywhere and how Kubiak acts on the final results of the season by leveraging our strengths, cutting our non producers, another draft and signing FA's will be fun to watch.

Not to often do we win, but not to often do they entertain. I was entertained and am looking forward to next week's contest. This is not the Texans from 2002-2005 except for Carr of course.
Old 11-20-2006   #9
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Cheering for Denmark in international soccer-tournaments is worse. It's been at least 14 years since we last roared.. It'll prolly be another 14 before anything happens again

Great post Herv. And to answer your question, yeah, I'll be here next season too
Old 11-20-2006   #10
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

After going down 14-0 so quick my knee-jerk reaction was "well this game is over" because of the way we have played from behind in the past. IMO we showed improvement just by coming back and taking the lead and holding onto it until the last 1:30. We lost the game sure and it is tough to swallow, but seeing we can come from being behind by 2 scores was good to see IMO. Maybe I am just trying to find something positive to find out of a loss, I dunno.
Old 11-20-2006   #11
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingh99 View Post
I'm sorry but I don't think the Texans will ever be more than mediocre and perhaps not even mediocre with the current on field leadership. Maybe, MAYBE the defense could evolve into something Ravensque but barring that, no way they become big winners with Carr taking snaps. He's the anti-excitement just in the way he manages games. He plays not to lose. Yeah that's the trend in the NFL but he takes it to ridiculous extremes. I think he throws all that garbage in the flat and such because he can't see downfield. He can't see downfield for beans. Who was Sage hitting every game for a bomb in the preseason? Sage threw more TD's in a half than it seems like Dave has thrown in 3 weeks. I said seems, maybe Dave-o has thrown more than 3.
Bloody hell. Just cut Carr and pick up Snake next year...You'll see. I know everyone is frustrated but Carr is not the problem. Cut the cord if you want. I'm tellin' ya Carr is not the problem. Tired of posting it. Do what you wanna do. I'll be here the next ten years regardless. If you can't respect a guy for going when he's hurt, then I've got nothing for ya. Five years is long enough for this mess. Wanna do a Bud ? Cut the cord.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 11-20-2006 at 10:29 AM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006   #12
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 101383 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Bloody hell. Just cut Carr and pick up Snake next year...You'll see. I know everyone is frustrated but Carr is not the problem. Cut the cord if you want. I'm tellin' ya Carr is not the problem. Tired of posting it. Do what you wanna do. I'll be here the next ten years regardless. If you can't respect a guy for going when he's hurt, then I've got nothing for ya. Five years is long enough for this mess. Wanna do a Bud ? Cut the cord.
^^^^^What he said^^^^^^
Texan_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006   #13
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

who's snake? Pliskin or Stabler?

Old 11-20-2006   #14
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Can we cut to the chase here?

"Core problems" means who is the starting quarterback. Correct?
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006   #15
kingh99

Quote:
who's snake? Pliskin or Stabler?
Either one sounds cool.
Old 11-20-2006   #16
kingh99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post

Of course. But Mr. McNair has 5 million reasons for making it work. And Gary Kubes is a QB maker. Dave just doesn't have the tools to be big time. He aint Carson Palmer k. He doesn't throw the ball like everyone seems to think. His balls flutter half the time.
Old 11-20-2006   #17
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post

The entire offense has been turned over except for Carr and Pitts since year one. Same basic lack of production from the QB with entirely new players from 2002-2006

Old 11-20-2006   #18
Sco-tai
Veteran

I am definitely still watching....and agree that this team is heading in the right direction. This positive progress in my opinion began the day we hired Kubiak.

Did yesterday's loss get "fans" down? Sure. I honestly can't say it got me down. Not because I don't care, of course I care. But because the bigger picture shows me that our players fight and try (which could not have been said about last year's team). We were down 14 - 0 almost immediately...but still fought back and could have won. I think that speaks volumes for the belief and effort that this coaching staff has created. Next year will be even better, and I don't think playoffs are out of the question in Kubes 3rd year. Just look at the young players that are contributing with 2 or less years in the league! I'm VERY encouraged.

And thank goodness this year's draft is HEAVY on elite defensive talent, because we definitely need an elite safety and another Ryans-caliber LB.

Keep your chin up y'all. Sure, I'd like to see us be a playoff team this year...but another year or two is fine with me.
Old 11-20-2006   #19
valleytexfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 275 valleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respected

great post, and I'm still here.
valleytexfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006   #20
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 281064 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Great post, Herv, and good to see a pulse of your love for the team is still beating!

I've always been in this for the long haul, whatever that means. Tailgating definitely helps take the sting out of watching your home team flounder around. It was a beautiful day, had many friends show up to our tailgate (along with my wife and son for the first time!), and other than a Texans win, I couldn't ask for anything else.

These losses suck beyond measure, because it concerns me that we are building a foundation of ineptitude and loser mentality. I certainly hope Kubiak is the man, and believe it accordingly. But a little voice in my head keeps wondering if he can bring the team up, or will this franchise bring him down. It's the age-old battle between the head and the heart, between optimism and pessimism, and I certainly have no idea what the future holds. But perseverance as a fan is all I've got. I have to believe that someday, somehow, some way, our ship will come in. And maybe through my dedication, I'll have front row seats at the docks.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read