Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Just something to think about...

Texas Lobo

Practice Squad
I know I don't post much and am pretty new here. I'm also probably not the smartest guy in the world when it comes to football, but I see hope in the Texans. Our last 3 losses we could have easily won. The Titans we should have won except for our turnovers. The Giants, we were winning and the Giants came back late in the game. And once again the Bill were in hand intil late in the game. We could easily be 6-4 right now and with the games ahead we could've realisticly been 8-8 (or dare I say it) 9-5. I know moral victories aren't anything, but I truly see an improvment in the Texans. :redtowel:

i share in ur ability to take the good with the bad. This team is vastly improved in mor than a few ways than the team last year. Even though we still have issues and holes to fill, we are still competing and in a position to win at times (even against teams with winning records and/or were picked by many to go to the playoffs). we arent even one season past being a 2-14 team and we are already competing with proven teams in the NFL. think what we might be capable of after another FA period and a draft with favorable position.

On a side note, does anyone know if we have any extra picks (or if we gave away any picks to get moulds or something) as of now in the draft?

I agree with you as well. The very fact that we have been in these games is proof that we are getting better. I was encouraged that the team did not panic when they went down by two touchdowns early. We are starting to see progress on both sides of the ball and our rookies and newly acquired guys are getting more acquanted with our system with every snap.

That being said, I am less encouraged by just "staying in the game" with the likes of Buffalo and Tennessee. These are two teams that we should have beat, but didn't. I think that is why this loss and the Tennesse loss were the hardest to swallow this season.

for about 45 mintues, the D dominated the Bills. After their FG in the first quarter, they didnt get into our half unitl the 4th quarter. Yet again, we played a very good game, but are undone by a big play here and a big play there. Yes, we gave up a terrible late TD and we still cant capitalize on opportunites (Cook fumble on the 4, holding penalty when we would have had 1st and goal, dropped interceptions by faggins), but we are putting ourselves in positions to make plays and win games, the next step is closing the deal.

So the running game getting 188 yards and the defense playing well again minus the two long TD's werent bright spots also?

I didn't say that.

To me the brightest spot was the fact that the team didn't give up when things weren't going well. We've had problems with that.

For the record:
I agree the running games was a bright spot.
I disagree that the defense was a bright spot, because they did give up two 80+ touchdown passes.

So the running game getting 188 yards and the defense playing well again minus the two long TD's werent bright spots also?

The Bills came into this game ranked 31st in the NFL (out of 32) in total yds and passing yds and lit us up like a Christmas Tree. Then, our defense let's them score the winning TD, plus giving up over 400yds ....but they were a bright spot??????

I'd gladly trade our offensive yds for a few more points to win, points we'd have had if our running game had not coughed up the ball...sorry, but if my son comes home with 4 A's/a D/and an F, it ain't no bright spots!!

The Titans we should have won except for our turnovers.

This has got to be the worst excuse ever. "Except for our turnovers." That's like having a piano recital as a kid and messing up badly in 3-4 different parts of the song and your parents saying "you did really well honey if you don't count the parts you messed up!"

Titan "Tack" Fan;504990 said:
This has got to be the worst excuse ever. "Except for our turnovers." That's like having a piano recital as a kid and messing up badly in 3-4 different parts of the song and your parents saying "you did really well honey if you don't count the parts you messed up!"

Excuse or not, it's probably true. The Titans capitalized on our mistakes, but the Texans had the better offense. Opposing fans don't like it when someone says "We would have won because of turnovers" or a reason similar to that, but sometime's it true. I don't discredit the Titans on that win, but I think the Texans showed they had better players on the field. We shot ourselves in the foot in that game. It reminds me of when we beat the Steelers and we only had 47 total yards of offense a few years back. The Steelers had better talent and a better team, but we were able to capitalize on turnovers. That's what the Titans did. Had we turned it over one less time, the outcome probably would have been different.

Excuse or not, it's probably true. The Titans capitalized on our mistakes, but the Texans had the better offense. Opposing fans don't like it when someone says "We would have won because of turnovers" or a reason similar to that, but sometime's it true. I don't discredit the Titans on that win, but I think the Texans showed they had better players on the field. We shot ourselves in the foot in that game. It reminds me of when we beat the Steelers and we only had 47 total yards of offense a few years back. The Steelers had better talent and a better team, but we were able to capitalize on turnovers. That's what the Titans did. Had we turned it over one less time, the outcome probably would have been different.

...team either wins or it loses in the 'standings' column--no column for excuses, but--if there were and they 'counted'--Texans would be in the SB every year...........:yahoo:

Even with a new coaching staff, this is a 5th year franchise. I would think the team should be past moral victories. The shoulda, woulda, couldas have haunted this team ever since year one. The what ifs are great, but almost every one of the Texans franchise 21 wins could have gone the other way "if" the ball bounced the other way. I realize there have been injuries, but Rick Smith is going to have his work cut out for him in the off-season. There are still too many bad players being forced to play on a weekly basis. Kubiak and his coaching staff will also have to figure out how to motivate and get the most of the players every down.

Even with a new coaching staff, this is a 5th year franchise. I would think the team should be past moral victories. The shoulda, woulda, couldas have haunted this team ever since year one. The what ifs are great, but almost every one of the Texans franchise 21 wins could have gone the other way "if" the ball bounced the other way. I realize there have been injuries, but Rick Smith is going to have his work cut out for him in the off-season. There are still too many bad players being forced to play on a weekly basis. Kubiak and his coaching staff will also have to figure out how to motivate and get the most of the players every down.

Exactly. The Jags made the AFC Championship in their 2nd year. The expansion excuse isn't good enough anymore.

I know I don't post much and am pretty new here. I'm also probably not the smartest guy in the world when it comes to football, but I see hope in the Texans. Our last 3 losses we could have easily won. The Titans we should have won except for our turnovers. The Giants, we were winning and the Giants came back late in the game. And once again the Bill were in hand intil late in the game. We could easily be 6-4 right now and with the games ahead we could've realisticly been 8-8 (or dare I say it) 9-5. I know moral victories aren't anything, but I truly see an improvment in the Texans. :redtowel:

:logo: :texan:

Titan "Tack" Fan;504990 said:

The Texans outplayed the Titans, Giants and Bills. The Texans haven't learned to kill efficiently. They outplayed these teams and lost. That can change. The Texans have to evolve into a Ravens style team. Mario has to become a leader like the madman of Baltimore. Then it won't matter who QBs because they will be asked to not make mistakes. Perfect spot for Carr.

The Texans outplayed the Titans, Giants and Bills. The Texans haven't learned to kill efficiently. They outplayed these teams and lost. That can change. The Texans have to evolve into a Ravens style team. Mario has to become a leader like the madman of Baltimore. Then it won't matter who QBs because they will be asked to not make mistakes. Perfect spot for Carr.

This exactly the point I have been trying to make in other threads.

This team would be considered one of the elite NFL teams if we had just won games. Because we lost them (close ones I might add), we are considered the worst NFL team (though our record says otherwise). If we could just stick together in the end, we could be 6-4 right now.

Titan "Tack" Fan;505575 said:
Exactly. The Jags made the AFC Championship in their 2nd year. The expansion excuse isn't good enough anymore.

The Jags and Panthers had a much better expansion draft than the Texans (or the Browns) had. The salary cap was instituted the same year that those teams were founded and teams were looking to unload cap space. I remember a team in Houston got gutted that year.

Expansion teams are never good. The Jags and Panthers are exceptions that we'll never see again.

We're back to being an "any given Sunday" team now, where we are capable of beating decent teams if we don't beat ourselves first.

Last year we were just a bad, bad team.

The heck with excuses ... I want to see a winner . If we don't win then the next best thing is a lot of fight and clear upside .

Back