Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-19-2006   #1
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Rep Power: 80683 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Winston

He looked pretty good today, I did see one play where he got blown up, but for the most part he seemed to be able to pass protect well. That's not to mention the fact that he was able to spring Lundy for the TD run. Anyone else see something I didn't?

Also seemed like a pretty good performance overall by the OL besides Salaam sacking DC. I was expecting the Bills to be able to get to DC much easier than I saw today.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006   #2
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Winston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandwagon View Post
He looked pretty good today, I did see one play where he got blown up, but for the most part he seemed to be able to pass protect well. That's not to mention the fact that he was able to spring Lundy for the TD run. Anyone else see something I didn't?

Also seemed like a pretty good performance overall by the OL besides Salaam sacking DC. I was expecting the Bills to be able to get to DC much easier than I saw today.
I have been one of Winston's biggest critics but I liked what I saw today.

I'm not ready to declare that he is the answer or even admit that he has the talent of an NFL starter based on just one game tho.

Again, I liked what he did today & hopefully he can keep it going.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006   #3
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

I on the other hand, have been one of Winston's biggest supporters. I have been pimping this guy since before his injury at Miami. He is a player who gets it done. I really see him as our best LT on the roster, even when Spencer is healthy. He had a solid game, and he will be better with more experience.
Old 11-19-2006   #4
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 144920 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

If Winstons holding his own thats a good sign . Having said that we still need to look at some depth in the draft .
Old 11-19-2006   #5
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
If Winstons holding his own thats a good sign . Having said that we still need to look at some depth in the draft .
Yes, I was in favor of drafting a stud LT until I just felt like puking after watching our secondary. I'm hope for a FA signing or trade and a stud next year. We need secondary help NOW. Maybe Gaither will stay in school?
Old 11-19-2006   #6
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1330 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

i blame today's secondary struggles on coaches more then talent. i even knew Faggins gets beat deep often. how do i know this? i've seen him play. i think he is a pretty good corner, but he gets beat deep often. i also know lee evans is one of the best deep receivers in the league and he would take faggins if he has the opportunity to run past him. i dont understand why the coaches didnt put robinson on evans to try and take away the deep ball. obviously you would also use some saftey cover, but relying on earl, brown and simmons is not a good idea. you have to know your players, thier strengths and their weaknesses, the coaching staff didnt demonstrate that knowledge today.
Old 11-19-2006   #7
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by run-david-run View Post
i blame today's secondary struggles on coaches more then talent. i even knew Faggins gets beat deep often. how do i know this? i've seen him play. i think he is a pretty good corner, but he gets beat deep often. i also know lee evans is one of the best deep receivers in the league and he would take faggins if he has the opportunity to run past him. i dont understand why the coaches didnt put robinson on evans to try and take away the deep ball. obviously you would also use some saftey cover, but relying on earl, brown and simmons is not a good idea. you have to know your players, thier strengths and their weaknesses, the coaching staff didnt demonstrate that knowledge today.
A pretty good corner doesnt get beat deep often.

With that said tho, I am strongly in the belief that CB is flat-out the hardest position to play in the NFL.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-19-2006   #8
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1330 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
A pretty good corner doesnt get beat deep often.With that said tho, I am strongly in the belief that CB is flat-out the hardest position to play in the NFL.
Everyone gets beat deep. keep in mind this is one of the fastes guys in the NFL and the coaches should not be allowing him to go one on one with Faggins. obviously we made some adjustements because they didnt throw deep again and Evans got about 60 yards the rest of the game after 200 in the first quarter.
Old 11-19-2006   #9
West Texas Texan
Rookie

Winston has just retired Weigert. He dominated his assignment most of the day, and when the Texans needed the big "yard", they ran off his behind. Not bad considering Kubiak doesn't think he can play in the NFL. He really should be our starting LT. If spencer can come back next year, and that's a BIG "if", they should put him over at RT, and see if he can learn the position. Winston has much better technique than Spencer, understands the blocking assignments much better, and IS a LT.
West Texas Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006   #10
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Texas Texan View Post
Winston has just retired Weigert. He dominated his assignment most of the day, and when the Texans needed the big "yard", they ran off his behind. Not bad considering Kubiak doesn't think he can play in the NFL. He really should be our starting LT. If spencer can come back next year, and that's a BIG "if", they should put him over at RT, and see if he can learn the position. Winston has much better technique than Spencer, understands the blocking assignments much better, and IS a LT.
I agree with this post completely, though I would like to see Spencer inside at RG a little but could easily live with him at RT. Winston is our best LT.
Old 11-19-2006   #11
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
forgot to mention, positive rep coming your way.
Old 11-20-2006   #12
Crazyhorse
Rookie

Well I'll jump on the band wagon too!!! I have said all along that this kid is very good and yesterday is a great example. First start and make a number of key plays. On a number of plays to the left he was getting down field and getting a secondary block. This kid may be the second coming of Tony B. but time will tell. I to agree that by next season he will be the best tackle on the team and should move to the left side whether Spencer returns or not. He is not only good physicalally but he is football smart and that will make him great!!!!!!!!!!
Crazyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006   #13
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't agree with moving "Caveman" to LT. I would like to keep him at RT and draft Joe Thomas (if we can get him) for the LT spot and move Spencer to one of the guard spots, or make him the "swing tackle" while he gets back up to speed. As for the DB positions, I'd like to try and get some on the FA market. Maybe Asante Samuel or Nate Clements can be picked up. JMHO!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006   #14
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7874 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

I was happy to see Winston do well. 1 less position to worry about in our breakout season next year.

That said....WAR ASANTE SAMUEL AND WINNING SWAGGER!!!
Old 11-20-2006   #15
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
Yes, I was in favor of drafting a stud LT until I just felt like puking after watching our secondary. I'm hope for a FA signing or trade and a stud next year. We need secondary help NOW. Maybe Gaither will stay in school?
Your secondary help needs to come in the form of a veteran free agent. If we draft a CB in the first round, even if it's at the very top of the first round we're going to be watching them play like they do this year for most if not all of 2007.

If I was in a position to make the decision and If it were possible (depending on availability) I'd go for the best CB AND safety (FS or SS whichever one I could bring in) I could afford in free agency. On the defensive side we could use help at linebacker and in the secondary. The linebacker could be a rookie but we need experienced players in secondary and we need them yesterday.

I'd use the first round pick on either a LT or a RB but if I spent it on a RB I'd use at least one other first day pick on an offensive lineman. If Spencer looks like he's going to come back strong by then I'd even go so far as to say I'd use that other first day pick on a G or C. I have a soft spot for Chester Pitts but he can often be a false start/holding monster. After 5 years I'm thinking I want to see someone beat that man out of a job.
Old 11-20-2006   #16
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 47761 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

stud secondary help via free agency is going to cost "Big Bucks" you almost have to draft & develop them yourself. plus they have to want to come here, maybe Kubiak could convince borderline studs but the top available talent will cost too much.

If I where to do it my free agent choices would be RB Michael Turner (Chargers) some quality CB & lineman & draft bpa. for instance the Texans are soft in the middle of the defensive line since Payne/TJ got hurt, you could both upgrade/replace them with Alan Branch (Michigan) or Gaines Adams DE 6-4, 265 Clemson to balance the other side of the line opposite Mario which would increase his production because right now teams just run away from him. Chances are however after the combine some CB will breakout and run a subpar 4.3 & GM's will be drooling to draft him. One thing for sure any of these sceneros would work and help make the Texans better defensively.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006   #17
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Just to be clear:

Spencer has played 1.5 NFL games. I realize people were talking Pro Bowl after the first two pre-season games he played against second stringers, but still: 1.5 NFL games.

Winston has played 1 complete NFL game.

All this bookend tackle talk on various threads seems a little pre-mature. It would be great if these guys worked out, but let's see them earn it/prove it first. Fans set these high expectations for players based on little NFL level data and get very upset when the players don't measure up.
Old 11-20-2006   #18
Crazyhorse
Rookie

If you knew Eric Winston you would understand why I talk about him as a bookend in tackle. I watched this kid come through high school and just get better by the day and be part of winning three straight State Championships. In Texas that is no small feat. I followed him to Miami and watched him grow and then the injury at Georgia Tech. Most kids might have hung it up but not Eric. Not only did he come back but did it in his own unique way. Keep in mind his injury was not just an ACL, but the MCL, PCL, and part of the Quad Muscle. The same injury that Willis had without the bone damage. In a mere 10 months this kid willed himself back on the field, never missing a practice or game his senior year.
This kid has the will to be great and will be an anchor the OL for the Texans. He will be tested and he will meet the challenge put in front of him.
Crazyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006   #19
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyhorse View Post
If you knew Eric Winston you would understand why I talk about him as a bookend in tackle. I watched this kid come through high school and just get better by the day and be part of winning three straight State Championships. In Texas that is no small feat. I followed him to Miami and watched him grow and then the injury at Georgia Tech. Most kids might have hung it up but not Eric. Not only did he come back but did it in his own unique way. Keep in mind his injury was not just an ACL, but the MCL, PCL, and part of the Quad Muscle. The same injury that Willis had without the bone damage. In a mere 10 months this kid willed himself back on the field, never missing a practice or game his senior year.
This kid has the will to be great and will be an anchor the OL for the Texans. He will be tested and he will meet the challenge put in front of him.
I understand your position more than you know. That is why I let you and West Texas's posts slide sometimes. You're a long time Winston fan and should stand by him!

Sometimes other fans set very high expectations, and aren't pleased when they aren't met. They may set Winston on a pedestal, and if he'd have a really bad game giving up three sacks or something they'd start calling him a bust and calling for his head.

I know you aren't going to give up on him; others might. In reality our bookends have 2.5 games (ok, 3 - Eric has had some spot duty) between them. They should still be in "prove it" mode to most of us.
Old 11-21-2006   #20
West Texas Texan
Rookie

I guess what I see is that there is a double standard by the coaches on the O Line. Weigert and Salaam get beat repeatedly and Kubiak states that "tackles get beat from time to time, its part of the game". Of course they are his boys. However, Winston got beat in the very beginning of the game, only one time (I went back and re-watched every offense snap) and today Kubiak says "He got beat early on an inside move, and Carr was intercepted". As if it was Winston's fault that Carr underthrew the pass. Actually on replay, the ball was gone before the defensive player touched Carr.

I also wonder why Kubiak didn't say a word about the inside pressure from the lack of effort from the guard positions.

I think in the final analysis, the Texans now have three rushing TD's off Winston blocks, one being a game winner. The Texans only have 6 rushing TD's for the whole year. So Winston has helped produce 50% of the rushing TD's to date, while only starting 1 game and part time work in one other. Yet, "his arms are too short, and we are concerned about that". AND "We are going to see if he can play in the NFL".
West Texas Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read