Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-17-2006   #1
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14190 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected
Default The Importance of Buffalo This Week IMO!!!

Alright, we have a team that is trying to get to that corner and turn it to become a playoff contender. In the process we have endured alot of losing over the last 4 1/2 years. Our team is at a point where it is scencing a turnaround with players believing in coaches and coaches believing in players.

We are now heading into a week in which we play The Bills, who coincidentally was the last team a Houston team ever played in the playoffs (I'm not going to say what happened because we all know) and we are honoring alot of Oiler past players that played in that game. The last time we did that we lost in classic Oiler fashion by blowing a 4th quarter lead against the Rams.

What if we beat The Bills though on that day of honoring old Oiler teams? It could just maybe, help with getting rid of an appearant Omen. I mean, if you really think about it, that Bills game is what lead us to having a new team in Houston. Could it be possible that a win against Buffalo on the honoring day could lead to us having a new playoff team in Houston?

Just some food for thought.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006   #2
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP
Default Re: The Importance of Buffalo This Week IMO!!!

I still think we will win but the injuries from last Sunday may play a big role. DC says he will play, but that arm has got to be sore.
Meloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006   #3
Señor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44650 Señor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
We are now heading into a week in which we play The Bills, who coincidentally was the last team a Houston team ever played in the playoffs (I'm not going to say what happened because we all know) and we are honoring alot of Oiler past players that played in that game.
The Oilers lost to Joe Monana and the Chiefs the next year.
Señor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006   #4
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4560 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Señor Stan View Post
Argggghhhh!!! The memories, the horrible, horrible memories!!! That was the year we pulled of with a huge win steak, got homefield advantage throughout the playoffs and a 1st rd. bye and then lost to the Chiefs. Pinche Oilers!
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006   #5
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14190 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Señor Stan View Post
My bad. You are right. Well it did eventually lead to the dismissal of our team.
Old 11-17-2006   #6
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

The only thing important about this game is that the Bills are a 3-6 team (as are we) and good teams beat 3-6 teams, particularly when good teams are playing them at home.

Beating the bad teams consistently is an important milestone on the path to being a good team. Until we do it we stink and that's basically that. The Texans need to start winning the games they're supposed to win.
Old 11-17-2006   #7
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
The only thing important about this game is that the Bills are a 3-6 team (as are we) and good teams beat 3-6 teams, particularly when good teams are playing them at home.

Beating the bad teams consistently is an important milestone on the path to being a good team. Until we do it we stink and that's basically that. The Texans need to start winning the games they're supposed to win.
Alleluiah, Amen brother. However for the fun of it, I would like that to start now with this team on this week when we are honoring the Oiler players.
Sponsored links
Old 11-17-2006   #8
Señor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44650 Señor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexMexVato View Post
Argggghhhh!!! The memories, the horrible, horrible memories!!! That was the year we pulled of with a huge win steak, got homefield advantage throughout the playoffs and a 1st rd. bye and then lost to the Chiefs. Pinche Oilers!

I think the Denver game (Before the KC and Buffalo debacles) hit me harder.

The Oilers had a 21-6 second quarter lead and choked it away. The final drive started at the Broncos two yard line and included a 7 yard Elway scramble on 4th and 6 and a miracle 44 yard completion to Vance Johnson on 4th and 10. The holder for the winning kick, Gary Kubiak, recovered from a bad snap quickly enough to let the Treadwell kick the game winner.

I responded to the loss by attacking a canvas with blue and red paint and a 3 inch paint brush. I accidentally cut myself at one point and continued to wail away leaving blood on the canvas as well. The painting ended up looking eerily like an oil derrick. I am much better now though.

Pinche Oilers indeed.
Señor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006   #9
NEW Texan Fan
waterboy

Has anyone heard if Dexter Wynn or the new cornerback Von T is going to play sunday.
NEW Texan Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006   #10
CoogBull
Rookie

Send a message via AIM to CoogBull

I am really looking forward to a win this weekend.

I want a little payback, and little it will be, for the Game-We-Do-Not-Speak-Of.

That was the day my belief in a just and loving God began to come apart. I was just a child, but being an Oilers fan when you were young taught you alot about life. It is disappointing as hell.

Plus my uncle is going to his first Texans game this weekend. Driving all the way up from the valley to see it. I want a win for him.

-All of this is compliments of Today's Captian BringDown.

CoogBull - A man for all seasons.
CoogBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006   #11
Low Life
Rookie

Lovin the typos. Joe Monana (pronounced tomorrow in spanish) and steak. Nothing like a winning steak. mmmmmmmmm. sorry. too many duffs.
Old 11-18-2006   #12
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Exactly.

Also, the Texans need to de-traumatize the fanbase. The Titans loss was bad. The turnovers were so there we go again.

IMO, the fanbase is still suffering from post traumatic stress symptoms from last year. Keep revisiting really bad stuff in the brain. However, normal bad stuff happens in just about every football game--and players and fans need to recognize that and move on. The fanbase needs to get to the point where they aren't thinking there we go again even when normal bad stuff happens. (and getting quiet).

Turnout for the game should be pretty good. Only home game for a while, and great tailgate weather.
Old 11-18-2006   #13
sakebomb
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1859 sakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Alright, we have a team that is trying to get to that corner and turn it to become a playoff contender.
I think we are a team still trying to find an identity and play with some consistency not make a run at the playoffs.

That being said, we have been playing a lot better the past couple of weeks but the injury bug has been biting us hard and we weren't that deep of a team to begin with. I think we have a good shot of winning Sunday but we haven't had a winning streak in 1 1/2 seasons.

I have been reading some of the posts and it seems that a lot of people are already putting the "W" in the win column. Anyone remember the Browns game two years ago? We were suppose to win that one and be a .500 team. We were suppose to go to Tennessee a few weeks ago and beat them but the turnovers killed us. The Texans seem to always shoot themselves in the foot. We should beat the Bills but I hope the team doesn't come out flat again.
Old 11-18-2006   #14
Txn_in_Oki
Lucky 13

Rep Power: 26824 Txn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
We are now heading into a week in which we play The Bills, who coincidentally was the last team a Houston team ever played in the playoffs (I'm not going to say what happened because we all know) and we are honoring alot of Oiler past players that played in that game.
What game are you speaking of? I know something occured during the time frame you are talking about but I seem to have erased it from memory. It never happened. I say again, it NEVER happened. That is the line I have held for years and that is the line I will continue to hold.

Moving on. I don't see this game as some sort of monkey killing event. We've played the Bills since and to me this is not even a type of rivalry game, that died years ago. What I think this is, is just a game that the Texan need to use to show that they are coming together and able to start acting like a group of professionals. It will be tough, the injury bug is really starting to hit them hard, but I think they can do it and when they do it's all down hill from here.

Wish I could be there, would like to see all the old Oilers that I grew up on.
Txn_in_Oki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006   #15
Bamaborn-Texasbred
All Pro

Rep Power: 10 Bamaborn-Texasbred is a Pro BowlerBamaborn-Texasbred is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
My bad. You are right. Well it did eventually lead to the dismissal of our team.
You can blame no one other than an over-demanding Bud Adams for the Oilers leaving town. Bud demanded a new downtown stadium, paid for entirely with public funds just a couple of years after getting the Houston Sports Authority to spend a ton of money putting 10,000 more seats in the Dome where the old scoreboard used to be. Please don't try to rewrite history by saying that somehow the Oiler's level of play is what got them to Tennessee. Bud left for Tennessee to save face. He said he would leave if his demands were not met, and when the city said 'stick your downtown stadium where the sun don't shine', he left.

Thank God for Bob McNair.
Old 11-18-2006   #16
Bamaborn-Texasbred
All Pro

Rep Power: 10 Bamaborn-Texasbred is a Pro BowlerBamaborn-Texasbred is a Pro Bowler

On a side note, I wonder if that heap of a stadium Bud got in Tennessee is anywhere near as nice as Reliant Stadium.
Old 11-18-2006   #17
axman40
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34613 axman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respected

A win means a 2 game winning streak plus twice as many wins this year over last year.Captain Obvious has spoken!

Old 11-18-2006   #18
Bamaborn-Texasbred
All Pro

I'm just as guilty as Captain Obvious a fair amount of the time.

This game is (should be) one more step towards respectability. I hope our boys take it and run with it.
Old 11-19-2006   #19
wolfscar
Veteran

Quote:

Beating the bad teams consistently is an important milestone on the path to being a good team.
That's the importance right there. It's way too soon in the new regime's tenure to expect them to be winning every week, but we've built a little solidity and lost a lot of the mental brittleness that was rife through this team when the season started. This kind of game is the real acid test of our progress thus far.

Discipline and smart plays will win this game - we don't need anything spectacular - take their D out of the game, don't give up big running plays on offense and they lose.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read