Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 11-16-2006   #1
SLO Texan
Veteran

Default Which 3-6 Team has the Best shot at Postseason?

Which 3-6 team has the best chance to go to the postseason?

Right now there are 6 of them with 5 of them being in the AFC.
This is intersting to me because I think it shows the amount of competition that is present in the AFC compared to the NFC.
It also provides these 3-6 teams all with a chance to make a second half run and possibly be 10-6 by the end of the season.
The in me wants to say the Texans and believe me I do have complete faith in our boys to try their hardest to make it......But it's just not likely.
So for my pick I went with.......The Steelers!!!
Not just b/c they won the Superbowl last year but b/c thay still have 5 divisional games to play. They dont play in the easiest div. but if they can win all of those games they will have a 5-1 div. record which with a 9-7 or 10-6 record would easily put them in the 2nd wild card spot.
What do you guys think?
SLO Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006   #2
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Which 3-6 Team has the Best shot at Postseason?

The Texans. Improving D. Improving O. 3-3 in the last six games.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006   #3
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

miami is the best 3-6 team. but they don't have the best shot.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006   #4
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 126364 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post
miami is the best 3-6 team. but they don't have the best shot.
I would agree with that statement.

They have the most talent, I think (except maybe the Steelers).

But they just find ways to lose.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006   #5
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 13945 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

None of the 3-6 teams will make the playoffs.

Except for the Texans!

Old 11-16-2006   #6
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1331 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I would agree with that statement.

They have the most talent, I think (except maybe the Steelers).

But they just find ways to lose.
Are you serious? Joey Harrington with a crappy O-line and inconsitent receivers. Hell, we beat them coming off that terrible game against the Redskins
Old 11-16-2006   #7
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 126364 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by run-david-run View Post
Are you serious? Joey Harrington with a crappy O-line and inconsitent receivers. Hell, we beat them coming off that terrible game against the Redskins
Most of their talent is on defense.

No doubt in my mind that their D would be suffocating if they even had a competent offense on their team.

They do have bad QBs & a horrible O-line.

But they do have some talent on offense. Good TE, decent RB, and Wes Welker is one of the most underrated players in the league.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-16-2006   #8
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

miami's o-line has been amazing the past two games. not bad against chicago and KC. no pressure on harrington at ALL. huge holes in the running game.
Old 11-16-2006   #9
Bullpen Drew
All Pro

How about none??

BTW, Try the Bullpen Drew BBQ joint! Our motto...

"Nobody beats my meat!"
Bullpen Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006   #10
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv_ya_blue View Post
I'm FAR FROM A HOMER...but I think that the Texans actually do have a "CHANCE" to make it. We've OWNED the Jags and the Titans
Um, did you not notice that the Texans have only won 2 games against the Titans in the history of the franchise?

Not to spoil your thunder, but c'mon. Lets be realistic here. With the same swagger that we talk to Jag fans, is the same swagger that Titan fans talk to us.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006   #11
Bullpen Drew
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO Texan View Post
Yeah!! Man that was a fun discussion! Thanks for your input.
Damn I should find something better to do than hang out in this useless thread....I might instead go stand in line for a PS3!

BTW, Try the Bullpen Drew BBQ joint! Our motto...

"Nobody beats my meat!"
Bullpen Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006   #12
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Aren't the Squeelers 3-6? If so, that would be a logical pick.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006   #13
Sarg01
Hall of Fame

Playoff seeding only uses divisional records in a tie within the division. Conference record is the primary tie-breaker.

You can see who will have the best conference record at any given spot by checking to see who has the WORST NFC record. Since total wins = AFC wins + NFC wins; and tiebreakers only apply when total wins are equal, every NFC win = 1 less AFC win.

The current order of AFC record tiebreaks (earlier on the list is more likely to own tiebreak):

Texans (0-4 vs. NFC)
Broncos (0-1 vs. NFC)
Bengals (1-2 vs. NFC)
Browns (1-2 vs. NFC)
Raiders (1-2 vs. NFC)
Bills (2-2 vs. NFC)
Steelers (1-1 vs. NFC)
Dolphins (1-1 vs. NFC)
Titans (1-1 vs. NFC)
Ravens (2-1 vs. NFC)
Jacksonville (2-1 vs. NFC)
Patriots (1-0 vs. NFC)
Jets (1-0 vs. NFC)
Colts (2-0 vs. NFC)
Chargers (2-0 vs. NFC)
Chiefs (4-0 vs. NFC) - they're screwed

Thus, mathematically speaking, the answer to the most likely 3-6 team to make the playoffs is: the Texans
Sarg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006   #14
Sarg01
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO Texan View Post
So are you saying that since we would have beaten more AFC teams than NFC that is why we would win the tie?
Yes. Since we got swept by the NFC this year, every win we have has to be an AFC win. We will have the highest possible AFC record for whatever our final position is. The concern, of course, is putting 9 or 10 wins together to be in a spot where the tiebreak matters.
Sarg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006   #15
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

Pittsburgh

They play in a weaker division than the other 3-6 teams.
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006   #16
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge View Post
Pittsburgh

well, i'd say miami plays in a weaker division.
Old 11-17-2006   #17
wicked_wayz
all blacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge View Post
Pittsburgh

weaker division?????? aren't they with the ravens, cincin and browns(they beat the falcons) i wouldn't call this a weak division.......i reckon our division(apart from the colts) is the weakest
Old 11-17-2006   #18
wicked_wayz
all blacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post
miami's o-line has been amazing the past two games. not bad against chicago and KC. no pressure on harrington at ALL. huge holes in the running game.
i was glad the miami beat the bears

if it aint the texans winning the superbowl then i rather it be any afc team.......afc teams all the way baby
Old 11-17-2006   #19
Titan "Tack" Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 44 Titan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, the answer isn't the Titans.

But in our defense we did lose to the Colts by one point and the Ravens by one point. Arguably the two best team in the AFC.

...and we also got our as**es handed to us by Jax, Dallas, and SD.

It's confusing over here in Titan country I tell you. We don't know what to think.

EDIT: I just realized it says "best 3-6 team" and we aren't 3-6. Oh well I will keep my post up.
Titan "Tack" Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006   #20
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think a team with a 3-6 record in the AFC at this time will make the playoffs.

Main reason they would have to win 7 straight. Furthermore, they would need a lot help because 10-6 probably isn't going to make the cut for elimination or tie-breakers.

For discussion purposes, at best, a 3-6 team is looking for a Wild Card birth.

The way San Diego and Denver are playing, one will the division and the other will get a Wild Card berth. So, that leaves one spot left for the rest.

Probably the Jets or Chiefs will lock up that last spot with Cincinnati coming in strong to make things complicated.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read