Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-12-2004   #1
mes311
Rookie

Default When does Carr's contract expire?

I though Carr was signed through 2007 at least. There is an article on ESPN talking about the recent youth movement in general and they say his contract is up in 2005. I posted the paragraph below because it's about halfway down.

The only downside to this seven-year quarterback bonanza is what happens when these young quarterbacks reach the end of their contracts. David Carr's contract ends in 2005. Tom Brady, Michael Vick and McNair have to renegotiated in 2006. Jake Plummer, Kyle Boller, Rex Grossman, Plummer, Brooks and others are signed through 2007.

HTML Code:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=1799423
mes311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004   #2
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 132014 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

David Carr cap hit the next two years...

2004: $2,733,333
2005: $7,573,333

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004   #3
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

David is the QB for the Texans for as long as he plays football.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004   #4
777texans
Rookie

Send a message via AIM to 777texans Send a message via MSN to 777texans Send a message via Yahoo to 777texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_ROCK
David is the QB for the Texans for as long as he plays football.
lol I sure hope so!!!!! Hopefull he'll be like Tom Brady

Houston Texans first game(s) of the season
2-0
777texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004   #5
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

You'd like to think Carr would stay for the duration of his playing years but who knows?

There are so many variables to pro sports these days.

I'm sure Niner fans never thought Montana would leave. The players I think have some loyalty but ultimately I've learned that they will do what is best for them 99% of the time financially.

And you can't really blame them. Their careers are short in terms of years.

It should be interesting when it does come up. I can't imagine the Texans not offering him whatever.....sort of like the Colts and Manning.

Great thread.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004   #6
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWJD
You'd like to think Carr would stay for the duration of his playing years but who knows?

There are so many variables to pro sports these days.

I'm sure Niner fans never thought Montana would leave. The players I think have some loyalty but ultimately I've learned that they will do what is best for them 99% of the time financially.
With the Franchise tag and everything, if the Texans want him he will stay. When did the last Franchise QB change teams through FA????

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004   #7
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

You left out the last part of my post...I said I expect the Texans will treat him as the Colts did Manning.

I don't expect he will leave. But by the same token it's not an impossibility. Improbable yes.

I suspect if they have to keep Carr at the expense of others they will.

I really don't keep up very much with players in free agency or trades. So I can't answer when the last QB to leave was. I don't have any idea.
Sponsored links
Old 05-12-2004   #8
NotARealTexan
waterboy

I think John Clayton was technically right in that Carr's contract, as it currently stands, only runs through 2005.

However, that is deceiving, since sometime in the next year or two the Texans will exercise an option payment on Carr's contract, and, depending on which option they choose, will extend his deal either through 2007 or 2008.

I'm not entirely sure how it works, AJ knows better I'm sure, but I think the jist of it is that Carr was originally signed from 2002-2007, then he triggered a clause that voided the 2006 and 2007 years--leaving him currently signed only through 2005--and now the Texans can "buy back" the 2006, 2007 and possibly 2008 years by paying Carr an option bonus.
NotARealTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004   #9
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

I think David Carr will play his entire career as a Texan. Hopefully when it comes time to resign him he will say "I love the Texans so much I'll play for free." What are the chances?
wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004   #10
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 270038 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

David Carr signed a 7 year contract, i.e. through the 2009 season.

Quote:
The Fresno State quarterback, drafted first overall by the expansion Houston Texans on Saturday, signed a seven-year contract that could pay him $60 million.
No doubt it is very back loaded and may have to be re-worked after year 4 or 5 to keep it from being ridiculously--cough, Manning, cough--expensive.
Old 05-12-2004   #11
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

NotARealTexan is on the right track. I posted this somewhere else, not sure where, so I'll try to reconstruct it the best I can.

Carr's contract has the "potential" to go 7 years but next year (2005) is an option year. That means his contract will expire at the end of the 2005 season if the Texans do not exercise one of two buyback options, (either a two-year or a three-year extension). His 2005 base before the option is exercised is a hefty $5.5 million.

If the Texans exercise the two year option, Carr will receive a bonus of $5.5 million upon signing and base salaries in '06 and '07 of $5 million and $5.25 million respectively.

If the Texans choose the three year option (to fully exercise the 7 year deal), Carr will receive a bonus of $8 million upon signing and bases of $5.25 million in '06 and '07 and $6 million in '08.

He will become very expensive next year so he better start earning it.

Last edited by aj.; 05-12-2004 at 08:21 PM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004   #12
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj
If the Texans choose the three year option (to fully exercise the 7 year deal), Carr will receive a bonus of $8 million upon signing and bases of $5.25 million in '06 and '07 and $6 million in '08.

He will become very expensive next year so he better start earning it.
If Carr becomes a top 10 QB (as I think he will) those numbers will be a bargain in the world of NFL contracts.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004   #13
WWJD
Hall of Fame

It's amazing what pro athletes make these days. You can play a few years and if you invest wisely you are set for life.
Old 05-12-2004   #14
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

If we quit going to the games and watching them on TV those guys would be broke.
wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004   #15
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz

Manning

Manning is getting roughly 14 million a year. Us having Carr at his contract rate will be a bargain.
Old 05-13-2004   #16
Texman
Rookie

It almost goes without saying that Carr made improvements over his first season. I've felt for a long time that athletes get paid way too much money but to stay competetive we have to stay in the game. As for picking up Carrs' contract after 2005, I'm in complete agreement with AJs' last words." He'd better start earning it."
Texman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004   #17
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
If Carr becomes a top 10 QB (as I think he will) those numbers will be a bargain in the world of NFL contracts.
You're calling a cap hit of 7-8 million per year a bargain? I'd like to see the salary list that you're using as a reference.

It isn't unusual for the QB to be the highest paid player on a team but like I said, he better start earning it because he's not a top ten QB and his salary is about to become just that.

Last edited by aj.; 05-13-2004 at 06:29 AM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004   #18
WWJD
Hall of Fame

I think this will be an important year for David Carr. As the team improves around him I fully expect he will step up his game.

Few QB's are very proficient right away. I think he'll be fine. They have some really good receivers that will only get better and they also have the addition of an excellent RB.

Carr will be fine barring injuries. I expect he'll have a breakout season.
Old 05-13-2004   #19
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 270038 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
You're calling a cap hit of 7-8 million per year a bargain? I'd like to see the salary list that you're using as a reference.

It isn't unusual for the QB to be the highest paid player on a team but like I said, he better start earning it because he's not a top ten QB and his salary is about to become just that.
Carr definitely needs to step up his game to earn those numbers in the next few years. For reference here are the franchise (top 5) and transition (top 10) numbers:

Franchise tender: $9,958,000
Transition tender: $8,169,000

Don't think they have been updated for Payton's new salary.
Old 05-13-2004   #20
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.

By the time Carr's cap hit escalates to the $7-8 million range, guys like McNabb, Culpepper, Vick, McNair, Farve (if he's still playing), and of course Manning's contracts will dwarf those numbers. Who knows how much more Brady, Pennington, and Hasselback will re-up for? More than what the Texans will be paying for Carr, that's for sure. And that franchise number that infantrycak posted will look like crumbs. So yes, it will be a bargain.

As far as "start earning it" is concerned, I guess Carr taking a record number of sacks behind the worst O-line in NFL history means nothing to you. Would any of the QBs I've listed above have taken the Texans to the playoffs in the 1st two season? Bash Carr for this, that, and the other thing, but the earning it stuff is a load. He's earned his money thus far.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read