Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-13-2006   #1
brewhaus
All Pro

Default Denver Pipeline Opening up again

From ESPN:

Houston plans to add another tackle to its roster and has looked into signing right tackle Dwayne Carswell, a 12-year veteran who tried a comeback after a serious auto accident, but was released by Denver before the season. But Kubiak said they will likely sign someone who is more versatile since left tackle Ephraim Salaam is also dealing with nagging injuries.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/player...e?statsId=3090

The whole story:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2660791
Old 11-13-2006   #2
Rovator
Veteran

Default Re: Denver Pipeline Opening up again

He was a solid lineman. What kind of injuries did he have in his accident?
Rovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006   #3
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovator View Post
I wonder if Marcus Coleman was the other driver?

Oh snap. My bad.
Old 11-13-2006   #4
brewhaus
All Pro

Quote:
I do not know. I wonder if those injuries are behind Denver cutting him loose?
Old 11-13-2006   #5
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewhaus View Post
I do not know. I wonder if those injuries are behind Denver cutting him loose?
When Denver cut him loose, did they have to use the "Jaws of Life?"

Oh crap. I did it again. My bad.
Old 11-13-2006   #6
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 36043 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewhaus View Post
But Kubiak said they will likely sign someone who is more versatile since left tackle Ephraim Salaam is also dealing with nagging injuries.
Kubiak really stands by his versatility principle. I don't know what is wrong with having an LT, an RT, and one versatile guy vs. forcing Winston to be versatile and looking to sign a swing tackle to back up swing tackle Salaam. Do we need three swing tackles?

I guess they are being forced to scramble since they didn't plan for Wiegert and/or Salaam to have injuries. I don't know how they could be surprised by this; both players have injuries in their recent history.
Old 11-13-2006   #7
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
Kubiak really stands by his versatility principle. I don't know what is wrong with having an LT, an RT, and one versatile guy vs. forcing Winston to be versatile and looking to sign a swing tackle to back up swing tackle Salaam. Do we need three swing tackles?

I guess they are being forced to scramble since they didn't plan for Wiegert and/or Salaam to have injuries. I don't know how they could be surprised by this; both players have injuries in their recent history.
You are like the character in a war time movie running through the halls of the White House trying to get your half baked theory to the table to save the planet. Unfortunately as it be comes clear that your theory makes way to much sense, they must then take you out since they did not execute upon your theory. Typical analogy for a typical situation.
Old 11-13-2006   #8
vtech9
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 vtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to vtech9

Quote:
Carswell was a Tight End that was trying to switch to OT. He couldn't make it as a TE in Denver anymore, so he tried to switch to OT to extend his carreer. It didn't work out for him.
vtech9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006   #9
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
I think "swing" tackle needs to be redefined in the case of the Texans as "a lineman who was rejected by Denver and is now being swung to (i.e., hunted vigorously by) Houston."

Hope my use of swung was correct.
Old 11-13-2006   #10
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSQ View Post
I think "swing" tackle needs to be redefined in the case of the Texans as "a lineman who was rejected by Denver and is now being swung to (i.e., hunted vigorously by) Houston."

This sounds like a job for Proper English Bear!
Old 11-13-2006   #11
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 36043 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSQ View Post

Not this time. Mike Pearson, formerly of the Jags, seems to be the choice.
Old 11-13-2006   #12
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Swing!

Quote:
The Texans are going to sign offensive tackle Mike Pearson, a free agent who played the last four years with Jacksonville. They also have veteran Brad Bedell to become the swing tackle who backs up at both positions for the Buffalo game.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/4331470.html
Old 11-14-2006   #13
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
You are like the character in a war time movie running through the halls of the White House trying to get your half baked theory to the table to save the planet. Unfortunately as it be comes clear that your theory makes way to much sense, they must then take you out since they did not execute upon your theory. Typical analogy for a typical situation.
Now this is one of the best left-handed compliments I've seen a while - "half baked theory" indeed.

While I doubt that anyone is going to "take me out" unless that is a euphemism for their ignore list, I do think the Texans may be regretting some early season roster moves right now. Relying on Wiegert and Salaam to make it through the year after Spencer went down was risky - and was an obvious a risk at the time, not just in hindsight.

Oops, there I go running through the halls again.
Old 11-14-2006   #14
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Carswell was a TE most of his career. I don't remember when Denver converted him to an OT, but it was fairly late in his career.
Old 11-14-2006   #15
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264424 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Not this time. Mike Pearson, formerly of the Jags, seems to be the choice.
So we don't have a problem taking cast offs of the Jags(Salaam, Maddox, Pearson)?? Is it okay as long as we don't get people from GB or Denver, who our coaches are more familiar with??

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO Texan View Post
I just hope whomever we pick up ends up being a diamond in the rough as our starting o-line is all but obliterated. The second half could get really frustating if we go back to our old ways & start giving up a ton of sacks again.

Oh,yeah...S.O.B.!:brickwall
Have we stopped giving up a ton of sacks yet?? We're on pace for over 40...... maybe 50 sacks this year.

Although the line is affording a little more protection, I think the biggest reason we have some games where there is only one sack, is because of things David is doing. He's either getting rid of the ball quicker, or he's being more decisive on getting out of the pocket.

As long as he keeps that up, we should be okay.
thunderkyss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006   #16
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
So we don't have a problem taking cast offs of the Jags(Salaam, Maddox, Pearson)?? Is it okay as long as we don't get people from GB or Denver, who our coaches are more familiar with??
I just stated that we didn't pick up an ex Bronco this time, which we didn't. I didn't even suggest Pearson was their first choice, the best tackle out there, or even a good acquisition.

I think I've been pretty clear that in my opinion the Texans have made key mistakes in the use of their roster spots on the o-line, including:

1) Carrying nine o-lineman instead of ten while at the same time using a roster spot for either a fourth tight end or a second fullback
2) Relying on multi-role swing players rather than better single role players
3) Expecting Wiegert and Salaam to make it thorugh the season (14 games in Salaam's case) without significant loss of time due to injury
Old 11-14-2006   #17
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 128249 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Now this is one of the best left-handed compliments I've seen a while - "half baked theory" indeed.

While I doubt that anyone is going to "take me out" unless that is a euphemism for their ignore list, I do think the Texans may be regretting some early season roster moves right now. Relying on Wiegert and Salaam to make it through the year after Spencer went down was risky - and was an obvious a risk at the time, not just in hindsight.

Although I agree with you on some of the moves they've made. I believe losing Wiegert might be a blessing in disguise (I'm not saying that any injury is a blessing). Wiegert wasn't performing well. IMO, Winston taking his place could actually be an upgrade rather than a downgrade. Sure, he can have rookie mistakes, but I still think we might be better off with him in the trenches.
Old 11-14-2006   #18
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I believe losing Wiegert might be a blessing in disguise (I'm not saying that any injury is a blessing).
Sure, it forces the coaches to give Winston some playing time rather than just talk about it. It would be very good news if Winston lives up to many fans' expectations of him.

This scenario we are now in however has a dark side. If (when?) Salaam goes down with an injury we will be playing Brad Bedell at one of our tackle spots. This is a serious downgrade from even the aging Wiegert or the nicked up Salaam.
Old 11-14-2006   #19
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 128249 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Sure, it forces the coaches to give Winston some playing time rather than just talk about it. It would be very good news if Winston lives up to many fans' expectations of him.

This scenario we are now in however has a dark side. If (when?) Salaam goes down with an injury we will be playing Brad Bedell at one of our tackle spots. This is a serious downgrade from even the aging Wiegert or the nicked up Salaam.
I hear ya. I'm just saying the way it looks as of now, we appear to be in a little better shape as far as the starting Oline is concerned. Do you (or anyone else) know if the OTs we're looking at are better than Bedell?
Old 11-14-2006   #20
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Quote:

I have been that guy on this board with my salary cap takes on how we would draft and salary cap historicals on first pick QB's. We all got a windmill in our cerebral closets.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read