Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-13-2006   #1
TexansCM
Rookie

Rep Power: 11 TexansCM was voted MVPTexansCM was voted MVPTexansCM was voted MVP
Default ESPN giving Mario Respect, Bash Reggie.

Here is a link to the story, it is too long to post it all.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...t&lid=tab4pos2

Now that Reggie Bush has given a game away, will people admit that maybe he wasn't such a slam dunk top pick?

With the score tied at 24 with 7:03 left in the 3rd quarter at Heinz Field, Bush put the ball on the ground. The Steelers recovered and immediately scored the first of three unanswered touchdowns that clearly swung the game in their favor.

Sean Payton greeted Bush with a potty-mouth tirade as the rookie came to the sideline. It seemed a bit much considering that even Jim Brown might not have held on to the ball if a safety got a hat on it as he fell forward. But it wasn't too much, if in a moment of frustration, Payton was forced to confront a reality nine games in the making -- right now, Reggie Bush just isn't that good.

And for that reason, the majority of the football universe owes Mario Williams a sincere apology.

Last edited by TexansCM; 11-13-2006 at 04:30 PM.
TexansCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006   #2
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP
Default Re: ESPN giving Mario a bit of Respect

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansCM View Post
Here is a link to the story, it is too long to post it all.

Link

I was hoping to see him play a full season. He has been coming on pretty well.
Meloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006   #3
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 150172 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Oh......... you've got to post the first few lines.....

Quote:
Now that Reggie Bush has given a game away, will people admit that maybe he wasn't such a slam dunk top pick?

With the score tied at 24 with 7:03 left in the 3rd quarter at Heinz Field, Bush put the ball on the ground. The Steelers recovered and immediately scored the first of three unanswered touchdowns that clearly swung the game in their favor.

Sean Payton greeted Bush with a potty-mouth tirade as the rookie came to the sideline. It seemed a bit much considering that even Jim Brown might not have held on to the ball if a safety got a hat on it as he fell forward. But it wasn't too much, if in a moment of frustration, Payton was forced to confront a reality nine games in the making -- right now, Reggie Bush just isn't that good.

And for that reason, the majority of the football universe owes Mario Williams a sincere apology.
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006   #4
TexansCM
Rookie

Rep Power: 11 TexansCM was voted MVPTexansCM was voted MVPTexansCM was voted MVP

I edited it. Thanks.
TexansCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006   #5
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19489 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Just the other day a co-worker told me drafting Mario was the biggest draft mistake ever. I laughed at him, and understood right away that he just regurgitates what he has been fed.

It will take a lot more articles like this to un-do all the hype and for some fans to realize the Texans made a sound decision no matter how Bush does. I am not hating on Bush at all, but Mario was condemned on draft day. Vindication feels nice, alot of us fans realized then that most media and fans all over were rushing to judgement.
Old 11-13-2006   #6
brewhaus
All Pro

Default Re: ESPN giving Mario Respect, Bash Reggie.

My favorite part of the article?

Quote:
And just what has Mario Williams brought for us to eat? A heapin' helpin' of crow.

Bon appetit.

Sweet!
Old 11-13-2006   #7
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 12366 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

I don't recall last night's sportscenter mentioning Reggie Christ's fumble. They did, however show him diving into the endzone three times and once more side-by-side with him diving into the endzone in a trojans uniform.
Old 11-13-2006   #8
real

I hate to admit it but that last line about how the universe owes Mario an apology made me smile....
Old 11-13-2006   #9
Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerfulDragon View Post
I don't recall last night's sportscenter mentioning Reggie Christ's fumble. They did, however show him diving into the endzone three times and once more side-by-side with him diving into the endzone in a trojans uniform.
Saw that myself made me want to puke. Have yet to see the Mario hit in the Jacs game, been reading it all day on this MB yet no highlights on ESPN for the 1st player taken in the draft. Great find on the article nice to see that we are the only ones seeing the inprovement in Mario.
Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006   #10
real

Quote:
He's been evaluated on the context of who he isn't without much thought to what he could bring to the table.
Best part of the article...
Old 11-13-2006   #11
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Didn't Reggie score his punt return touchdown against the Bucs not the Eagles?
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006   #12
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57147 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Aw man . . I loved that article.

Although, I think it says a lot more of what Bush isn't, than what Mario is.

If the FO had done what "everyone" wanted, and taken Bush with the 1st pick instead of Mario, and then if Bush had turned in the same performance here, as he has done in 8 games for the Saints . . .

. . . there would be so many "Reggie Bust" threads on this board, it would be funny.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006   #13
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

I was just watching ESPNs PTI, and they had an entirely different take on
Bush yesterday - Jaws said that Bush was very close to a "Breakout"
or even series of Breakout games. And then they fussed about yesterdays TD in Pittsburgh like it was something special. Didn't mention his fumble.
Of course Kornheiser is Bush's biggest supporter. You'd think just one time he'd mention the other rookie offensvie player on the Saints, WR Colston.
That kid is great and far more valuable to the teams that Bush. Talk about being the Rodney Dangerfield of the Saints and the whole NFL
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006   #14
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209247 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Article
And making Bush into Michael Jordan in April has proven to be a bit hasty.
Thank you.

I don't hate the guy (far from it), but I certainly dislike the hype. This story might not be read by the majority of people, but that doesn't matter. Who does read Page 2 are sports writers, hardcore fanatics, and talk radio hosts. They know this article is somewhat an admission by the media, and it's message will slowly absorb into the mainstream over time.

And that's all that we can ask at this point.
Old 11-13-2006   #15
Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Aw man . . I loved that article.

Although, I think it says a lot more of what Bush isn't, than what Mario is.

If the FO had done what "everyone" wanted, and taken Bush with the 1st pick instead of Mario, and then if Bush had turned in the same performance here, as he has done in 8 games for the Saints . . .

. . . there would be so many "Reggie Bust" threads on this board, it would be funny.
Bust threads on this MB that never happens! J/K
I agree with you and i have to say thay would be unbearable not funny. Can you fathom the ridacule from the national media? ESPN would have a daily hour on how the Texans are NOT using Bust I mean Bush in this way or that way, and our team would be at fault for all of Bush'es inabilities. God I think I just talked myself into a mancrush for Coach Gary Kubiac. I am thankfully coach K and the FO made the right pick.(By the way i WAS a Bush fan,lessened to the Hype,till after the draft, then I did my homework on Mario.) Again love the article good find need more of them.
Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006   #16
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 67576 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Williams hasn't set the world on fire, but he's been pretty good. And it's not like he's getting a lot of help. He's recorded 4.5 sacks in 9 games, while the rest of the team's defensive linemen have 5.5 sacks combined. And while Williams has had moments when he's looked utterly clueless, he has managed to command double teams and show that he has the potential to convert his incredible measurables into dominance as a pass-rusher.
granted Payne is out(and possible TJ?), but I thought more highly of our DL at the beginning of the season (yes Robaire is gone too)...

shows what I know
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006   #17
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Now, we should call him a promising pass-rusher. He's also the only defensive lineman in Houston who shouldn't wear a mask on payday.
Why is it that certain guys have to slap someone in the face while trying to make a half hearted apology. I would rather you say, opps I made a mistake and apologize; then move on.

I guess Ryans should be wearing a mask, or should the Texans be wearing a mask because they robbed everyone on draft day with this kid.
Specnatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006   #18
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1330 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

I thought the D line as a whole would be or biggest strenght next to the WR's, but if you take away Mario's production, there is very little there. I think that is further proof we made the right decision on who to draft because he is already probably our 3rd best player on D (behind Drob and DeMeco) and our best D-lineman.
Old 11-13-2006   #19
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55561 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Too bad this article was on Page 2.

Everybody else is gonna think it is a big joke.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006   #20
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1330 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Too bad this article was on Page 2.

Everybody else is gonna think it is a big joke.
The fact it was next to the Peyton Manning impersonator article might just affect its credability...

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read