Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-13-2006   #1
SESupergenius

Default Rosenfels: Anyone impressed?

Rosenfels was given the spotlight in a situation that was not mop up time nor was it against pre-season scrubs. Does anyone think he did well? I saw a QB that looked rattled and it really exposed our offensive line. People keep seeing that Carr throws nothing but quick 3 step-drop passes and dump passes, well guess what, that's mostly what this offensive line is giving him. Insert Sage and he thinks he's got all this time to look for receivers and gets nailed accordingly. At least Carr has some scramble ability and can throw on the run. Sage just isn't quick enough and puts too much trust in the offensive line. Although he did hold on to the ball when he got nailed, give him Kudos for that.
Old 11-13-2006   #2
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rosenfels: Anyone impressed?

Rosenfels did his job, much like Carr did so in the first quarter. He came in did not have a turnover. Moreover, he did not have the luxury of working on a short field off of turnovers that Carr had on the previous three. We did well with the play that we got from both QB's as their job was different given the time, score and situation.
Old 11-13-2006   #3
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 32563 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Salaam gave up a sack on Rosenfels on what I think was a three step drop. The guy beat him so badly to the inside and was there so fast that I don't think any QB could have done anything about it.
Old 11-13-2006   #4
Rightnow
Veteran

Sage did what a good backup should: not lose the game. He didn't play great, but he didn't lose the game either. I'm fine with his performance.
Old 11-13-2006   #5
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 324753 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I think this should quiet the "start Sage" crowd for a little while. He wasn't all that special, but at least he didn't make any mistakes that cost us the game.
Old 11-13-2006   #6
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddy View Post
I feel used.. this is not the Sage that Vinney & Porky was touting too us.
Actually it is. We won the game with him at the helm.
Old 11-13-2006   #7
SESupergenius

You can't tell me he played well, I was on the edge of my seat hoping that Rosenfels was going to the calm cool guy he's looked like in relaxed situations all through his tenure here. Then he get's nailed for a sack because he took too long to find open receivers on the very first passing play. He had a whole quarter to score and most looked intimidated and and sheepish. Carr led his team from all the way from his own side of the field in his very first drive, Sage didn't. Rosefels by far didn't get the job done, the defense did.
Sponsored links
Old 11-13-2006   #8
SESupergenius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
Salaam gave up a sack on Rosenfels on what I think was a three step drop. The guy beat him so badly to the inside and was there so fast that I don't think any QB could have done anything about it.
What happend to the "pocket" awareness that he's so coveted about?
Old 11-13-2006   #9
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

second both Kaiser Torro & Runner

Sage is a key contributer for the Texans, one he provides key minutes in support of Carr, two is a good teammate, three allows the Texans to carry only two QB's freeing up a roster spot for someone else. The difference for Rosenfels was the conservative playcalling, late with the game on the line & the Jags we're throwing everything including the kitchen sink to disrupt his rhythem and force a turnover

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006   #10
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESupergenius View Post
Rosenfels was given the spotlight in a situation that was not mop up time nor was it against pre-season scrubs. Does anyone think he did well? I saw a QB that looked rattled and it really exposed our offensive line. People keep seeing that Carr throws nothing but quick 3 step-drop passes and dump passes, well guess what, that's mostly what this offensive line is giving him. Insert Sage and he thinks he's got all this time to look for receivers and gets nailed accordingly. At least Carr has some scramble ability and can throw on the run. Sage just isn't quick enough and puts too much trust in the offensive line. Although he did hold on to the ball when he got nailed, give him Kudos for that.

Sage can move with the ball. That is why he was hired. He doesn't move as well as DC does, but there are few in the league that do.

To be fair to Rosenfels, it is hard to come into a game cold, against one of the best defenses in the league with a nicked up offensive line in front of you.

I am sure he would look better with more practice snaps and a game plan tailored to his strengths.

All that being said, as it relates to quarterbacks, I trust Kubiak to make the right decisions.
Old 11-13-2006   #11
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Quote:
Context:

He dropped back three times with us having a 10 point lead for half of the fourth quarter.
Old 11-13-2006   #12
santo
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30558 santo is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respected

Honestly, when he came into the game, I was expecting automatic touchdown passes.

Also, I was praying for him not to throw an interception.
Old 11-13-2006   #13
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
second both Kaiser Torro & Runner

Sage is a key contributer for the Texans, one he provides key minutes in support of Carr, two is a good teammate, three allows the Texans to carry only two QB's freeing up a roster spot for someone else. The difference for Rosenfels was the conservative playcalling, late with the game on the line & the Jags we're throwing everything including the kitchen sink to disrupt his rhythem and force a turnover
Sometimes you just have to deal with what you are getting. This is what Rosenfels said about this subject:

Quote:
“We just talked about situations. The momentum was starting to swing their way a little bit. We might have to take a shot. We actually called a play to throw it deep to Andre (Johnson), but I ended up not getting the protection that I needed to throw it to Andre. Basically the way the situation was, we knew we had to obviously milk the clock as much as we could and get first downs. We might have taken a shot here or there to keep them off-balance.”
Link
Old 11-13-2006   #14
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 32563 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That was one play and I was just pointing out that Salaam was so bad no one - neither Sage "Pocket Awareness" Rosenfels nor David "Runs Very Fast" Carr -would have avoided the sack.
Old 11-13-2006   #15
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

I am amazes that people are turning this into a Sage vs Carr thing again. Both played their part in a win and both should expect Carr to start if he is good to go.
Old 11-13-2006   #16
santo
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30558 santo is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
That was one play and I was just pointing out that Salaam was so bad no one - neither Sage "Pocket Awareness" Rosenfels nor David "Runs Very Fast" Carr -would have avoided the sack.
I agree, by the time Sage took three steps, the defender was already about to tackle him. Sage had zero chance of throwing the ball.

I also give him props for not dropping the ball though.
Old 11-13-2006   #17
Hulk75
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 427 Hulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Please for all that is holy, there is NO comparison with Carr and Sage, Sage does not have half the talent.

BUT! He came in did his job and held on to the win for us, good job Sage. He scared me on the 3 and I forget, he almost through a pick or a ball that got batted, scared me a little.

Carr payed a good game yesterday.

I have noticed this board is rather slow when Carr has a good game................I think it is kind of funny and interesting!

This bugged me a little, he did great but let other people praise you Dunta, you dont have to do it..............It is not terrible but I personally never liked to talk about my self after a ball game
Quote:
We needed to make a big play, and like a lot of people say, big-time players make big-time plays in big-time games. And I had to step up and make a play, and that’s what I did.”

Last edited by Hulk75; 11-13-2006 at 10:26 AM.
Hulk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006   #18
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk75 View Post
I have noticed this board is rather slow when Carr has a good game................I think it is kind of funny and interesting!
Take your blinders off and read and you will find Carr adulation for a number of plays. There is plenty to dog Carr on and posts such as yours will in no doubt incite a careful evaluation for his three quarters of play. I do not need to as the Texans got a win.

Sorry the euphoria for a team win is trumping the need for Carr lovers to have virtual rose petals thrown at their avatars for his "unbelievable" performance.
Old 11-13-2006   #19
Lucky

Rep Power: 163616 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Just as Sage got too much of the credit for the late play against the Titans, he's getting too much blame now.

It wasn't Sage that allowed Spicer to come in on the blindside for the sack.
It wasn't Sage that called for the HB pass on 3rd & 4.
It wasn't Sage that blew the call and the challenge on Daniels' reception & fumble.
It wasn't Sage that was called for holding, forcing a 2nd & 20 from their own 16.

I know what you're saying here SES, but you aren't going to be able to convince some people who believe that it's all about the QB. Even though I'm completely in agreement with Kubiak that Carr is the starter, I'm glad Sage is on the team. It's funny that I don't hear the complaining about Rosenfel's contract that was rampant on the board when he signed back in March.
Old 11-13-2006   #20
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 124794 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Impressed?: No....

Did he do his job as a back-up QB in the NFL?: Absolutely
Texan_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read