Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-10-2006   #1
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4560 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Default DeMeco over DJ

You know, I was just reading about how much recognition DeMeco Ryans is getting and how he's a front runner for Defensive Rookie of the year when all of sudden I thought about what if we had gotten Derrick Johnson last year instead? Would the Texans still have gotten DeMeco Ryans or even drafted for LB this year? In hindsight, I'm glad we didn't pick up DJ because I think if we would have gone for DJ last year, I don't think we pick up Ryans this year. Don't get me wrong, DJ's been playing good and all but I'm glad we got Ryans instead. I think he has the potential to be one of the good ones at his position. Weird how the draft plays out sometimes, huh?
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006   #2
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: DeMeco over DJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexMexVato View Post
You know, I was just reading about how much recognition DeMeco Ryans is getting and how he's a front runner for Defensive Rookie of the year when all of sudden I thought about what if we had gotten Derrick Johnson last year instead? Would the Texans still have gotten DeMeco Ryans or even drafted for LB this year? In hindsight, I'm glad we didn't pick up DJ because I think if we would have gone for DJ last year, I don't think we pick up Ryans this year. Don't get me wrong, DJ's been playing good and all but I'm glad we got Ryans instead. I think he has the potential to be one of the good ones at his position. Weird how the draft plays out sometimes, huh?
Who's Derrick Johnson?

Sincerely,

Everybody who is not a UT homer
Old 11-10-2006   #3
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Is Derrick Johnson a MLB? If so, then I think we still would have drafted a LB and put Demeco at OLB. I think that was his natural position at Alabama and I remember reading a few articles that said he does prefer OLB to MLB.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006   #4
hot pickle
Canada Eh

Rep Power: 2074 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

rather have DJ, but thats cuz im a UT fan, but i love DeMeco
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006   #5
phan1
All Pro

I think I'd rather have a good MLB than a good OLB. Derrick Brooks versus Ray Lewis? Give me Ray Lewis.
phan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006   #6
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

DJ is a OLB.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006   #7
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4560 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshafer_1976 View Post
Who's Derrick Johnson?

Sincerely,

I am not a UT homer, if that is what your implying. Anyways, I thought this was a message board where we are free to express ideas. I didn't know this was the Jim Rome show.
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-11-2006   #8
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Most teams start more than one linebacker...so yeah, there would be room for two good ones here. Especially two that can play different lb positions like dj and DeMeco.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006   #9
ESAD2-14
TexanAmerican

Rep Power: 22184 ESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Who's Derrick Johnson?

Sincerely,

A&M fan? Hair trigger on that one.
Old 11-11-2006   #10
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

hmmm......
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006   #11
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 103984 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

i'd love to have both at this point
DJ's stats
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/7191/
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006   #12
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexMexVato View Post
I am not a UT homer, if that is what your implying. Anyways, I thought this was a message board where we are free to express ideas. I didn't know this was the Jim Rome show.
Just a drive-by attempt at humor.

Lighten up, will ya'? Man, I didn't know this place had to have the same atmosphere as an emergecny room waiting area. Sheesh.....

That was saying exactly what it is: Outside of Texas (The State, not the college) we're really not seeing any specials on ESPN about how Derrick Johnson is changing the faceof the LB position. I think Demeco is getting more pub than DJ has ever received. One guy is being considered as the steal of the draft, the obvious Defensive Rookie of the Year, and is right up there with the rest of the LEAGUE'S LBers in terms of tackles. ANd the other guy is a virtual no-name outside of UT fans who follow their guys' careers.

Did I have to say all of that, or could I not have just said what I said earlier? I figured the message would be easily translated that we think players that play for Texas colleges are completely awesome...and there's lot of Ut fans here who are STILL bringing up the Texans passing on DJ. What fould did I commit again?

People who are pee'od about what I said are (drum roll, please) UT fans.

I'm not an A&M fan. Not a UT fan. As long as USC or any Florida teams don't win, I could care about who is the big dog on the college scene every year. I rooted for UT when they beat USC, but that's only because I dislike USC. Had Rutgers played USC in the Rose Bowl, I'd have rooted for Rutgers. Had the anti-Christ played against USC, I'd root for AC.
Old 11-11-2006   #13
jonO_miller
Rookie

I still think we would've taken Demeco if we did infact draft DJ. I mean could you imagen our front 7 in the coming years..... WOOO we would be pretty nasty in run stopping and blitzing. If we had DeMeco and DJ.
jonO_miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006   #14
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
DJ is a OLB.
And a 4-3 OLB. If one is fair and logical, that should really let Casserly and
Capers off for passing on DJ last year because OLBs in the 3-4 that Capers
operated were almost always taken in the Draft as "tweener" DEs because
of their pass rushing skills. That's a skill which is critical for 3-4 OLBs, but
not 4-3 OLBs. Plenty of other very good reasons to pile on the past regime
for some of their Draft choices.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006   #15
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonO_miller View Post
I still think we would've taken Demeco if we did infact draft DJ. I mean could you imagen our front 7 in the coming years..... WOOO we would be pretty nasty in run stopping and blitzing. If we had DeMeco and DJ.
It'd be a good LB crew.

But who would be the star? Demeco. No bones about it.

The guy is electric. The whole world of sports analysis says so, and it's an across-the-board agreement that Demeco is the real deal.

Not saying DJ is bad. Just saying that let's understand that Demeco is perhaps the leader of the defense...and he's creeping up on being the leader of this whole team, IMO.
Old 11-11-2006   #16
ComstockLode
Veteran

Demeco in the middle, with DJ on the outside would give us alot of talent for the future on defense.

Travis Johnson has 11 tackles on the season with no other stat to add to that....
ComstockLode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006   #17
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 103984 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree with that.. I liked DJ's speed and I am just shooting from the hip here and haven't seen any stats or anything,(incase orr or wong or whoever) but this team needs some speed at LB. I know Shockey is a good TE, but he frustrated me last week ..

I would have liked DJ's speed at the outside and demeco's nose for the ball on the inside..

on a side note , I honestly haven't watched college football this season .. any LB's coming out worth mentioning ?
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006   #18
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96562 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

If we drafted DJ we would not have Demeco, its as simple as that.

When Kubiak got here he saw a team filled with holes, were not spending a 1st pick on LB and then spending the 33rd pick on a LB. Its either DJ or DeMeco, can't have both.... I'm glad we passed on DJ and now have DeMeco. Demeco is smarter and has better instincts, that goes a long way at the MLB position.

DJ is a good player, but DeMeco is better and will be a fixture and leader on our defense for years to come

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 11-11-2006 at 12:31 PM.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006   #19
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bomb View Post
If we drafted DJ we would not have Demeco, its as simple as that.
I dissagree completely. DJ would not have been the mlb in a 3-4 and we clearly were after someone in the middle. I posted several times in the pre-camp that Sam Cowart was past his prime and I doubted would make the team. Other than that, we didn't have a MLB candidate on this roster...not one that was halfway decent. DJ is an OLB only.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006   #20
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Had the anti-Christ played against USC, I'd root for AC.
So you will be rooting for Notre Dame on Nov 25th?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read