Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 11-10-2006   #1
Dr. Toro
All Pro

Rep Power: 10 Dr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballotDr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Default Mayhem in the NCAA (guns&football)

Given the recent events at Miami, I think a discussion of the shocking amount of thuggish or outlawish behavior in college athletics and guns in sports is necessary. The senseless death of Bryan Pata (and Dennehy a few years back) has made these issues extremely relevant, in my opinion.

I've become really concerned about all these football players with handguns. First there was the UT thing (ridiculous and unacceptable), this Cooper/Meriweather shooting, and now Pata's death. What's goin on? Why?

This article in the Boston paper is very telling, it's a list of every professional athlete with a concealed handgun license:

http://www.boston.com/sports/other_s...11_10_06_guns/

There's a heackuvalotta guys on that list who can afford bodyguards, and a vastly disproportionate amount of football players there. I don't intend to disparage anyone or any program, nor do I desire to ignite a 2nd Ammendment debate. I just don't see any reason these young men should be packing, it certainly doesn't make them safer.
Dr. Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006   #2
Dr. Toro
All Pro

Rep Power: 10 Dr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballotDr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Default Re: Mayhem in the NCAA (guns&football)

Here's their indepth followup:

http://www.boston.com/sports/other_s...s_a_necessity/
Old 11-10-2006   #3
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

it seems a lot of young black guys from the bad neighborhoods are going to have guns, regardless of whether they're an athlete or go to a big college or not.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006   #4
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post
it seems a lot of young black guys from the bad neighborhoods are going to have guns, regardless of whether they're an athlete or go to a big college or not.
Yeah...

I don't think being an athlete has much to do with it.....
Old 11-10-2006   #5
Dr. Toro
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post
What I'm saying is, "why are college students from the bad neighborhoods packing" or "why are millionaires from the bad neighborhoods packing", it doesn't make sense to me.
Old 11-10-2006   #6
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Toro View Post
What I'm saying is, "why are college students from the bad neighborhoods packing" or "why are millionaires from the bad neighborhoods packing", it doesn't make sense to me.
The question is too broad to come up with a single answer....

And the question is kind of misleading...

You have to ask yourself...

What are the demographics of most pro football and basketball players ?

What kind of environment do most of them come from ?

Then throw in millions of Dollars....
Old 11-10-2006   #7
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Toro View Post
yeah that's something that won't be solved on a football forum.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read