Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-09-2006   #1
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans 2-6: Who's to Blame?

AOL Sports is going to be promoing something about all the NFL teams with poor records in the first half of the season. They asked the bloggers to write about the disappointing seasons and say who is to blame for them.

Anyway, I made a stab at it. And there are some really good comments on it as well.

I focused on the big picture issues as opposed to particular players, mostly because most of the players have been up and down over the course of the season, and the jury is still out.

I also tried to make it fair and realistic.

Anyway, it is a slow time of the week, and it is worth a look if you are interested. There are some good links in it--with some surprises.

Link: Houston Texans: A Still Optimistic 2-6

We talk about a lot of this stuff here, but it is kind of nice to memorialize things in blog posts. It's a different sort of history, and it is funny reading old ones sometimes.

Oh, and many of you will recognize the fine gentlemen in the picture.
Old 11-09-2006   #2
DeclanJr
Rookie

Default Re: Texans 2-6: Who's to Blame?

David Carr, we'd be 3-5 otherwise...
DeclanJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006   #3
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeclanJr View Post
And the Bears would be undefeated without Rex Grossman?

You can't eliminate Carr's poor performances without including his good ones. To be fair, we don't know how much better or worse the team would be with Rosenfels as the starter.
Old 11-09-2006   #4
DeclanJr
Rookie

I'd like to find out...That isn't the only game he played bad in, but I'm putting that loss squarely on his shoulders. When you are throwing 20+ times for 187 yards, something is wrong. Coach K has designed this offense so that Carr can dink and dunk it down the field, and if that is taken away from him he throws picks and gets sacked...I'm all for putting in Rosenfels, but that is just where we disagree. Let's see how good he looks this week against a motivated Jacksonville team.
DeclanJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006   #5
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34649 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeclanJr View Post
3-5...2-6...When you're rebuilding, which there should be no doubt that we are, is threre really much difference.

Using your logic we could say that without Cook we'd be 3-5. With Spencer still healty we just might be 4-3. With J. Christ at Rb we;d no doubt be 8-0 and the most feared team in the NFL.

We are what we are, a bad team that is making significant progress towards being better.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006   #6
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Oh, and many of you will recognize the fine gentlemen in the picture.
Can't say I've had the pleasure. Who is it?

Anybody that impales Oilers paraphernalia is a friend of mine.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006   #7
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Alot of things. Our poor defensive play in the beginning of the season, Carr's turnovers, Cook's turnover, etc etc etc.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-09-2006   #8
phan1
All Pro

We obviously needed time to "warm up". The past 3 games we've played has got to make you believe that we can really hang with anybody. The defense was the big problem early in the season. It was just gawd-awful, but I think we fixed that. As for our offense, well... It's been typical Texan offense. Either you're hot or you're not. Everything taken into account, we really just started off the season with no fight in our belly. Now, it looks like we are actually out there trying to win games instead of going out there expecting to be slaughtered.
phan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006   #9
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
Alot of things. Our poor defensive play in the beginning of the season, Carr's turnovers, Cook's turnover, etc etc etc.
Those are the micro things.

A lack of consistency. And learning new stuff. To me, a lot of that is either learning a new system, playing a lot of rookies, learning to play together as a team, and/or just bad breaks.

In my column, I talk more about the macro things. The big picture things.
Old 11-09-2006   #10
wrestler4life
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
With J. Christ at Rb we;d no doubt be 8-0 and the most feared team in the NFL.
Hilarious, but true!
Old 11-09-2006   #11
TxAg
Rookie

You guys are going to see something unexpected this year,the Texans are making huge progress on defense and our offense can turn into a great one as we have one of the best WR in the league I just thing they need to put there faith on one back GADO and we could really cause some damage.I also think that Carr being benched two weeks ago woke him up, Kubiak wants to win and Carr knows he could loose his starting role if he slacks off.
Old 11-09-2006   #12
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264941 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
And the Bears would be undefeated without Rex Grossman?

You can't eliminate Carr's poor performances without including his good ones. To be fair, we don't know how much better or worse the team would be with Rosenfels as the starter.
I'm happy for David's improvements, and expect to see more to come, but which good ones are you talking about??

70% completion for 220 yards........... yawn.....

Any other QB in this league would be closer to 400 yards on 70% completion. with many more TDs to show for it.

while I don't put the blame for any one of our losses squarely on David's shoulders, I find it hard to believe we wouldn't have more wins if we had better play out of the QB position.

Same goes for the OL, same for the RBs, same for the defense.

But if any QB performed worse than ours, I doubt he'd still be playing at this point in the season.

Not saying that David should be sitting down, but that his good..... is everybody else's avg.
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006   #13
Big J
Rookie

Please dont ever compare David Carr to Rex Grossman...the guy is straight garbage. David Carr is for sure better than Rex.
Big J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006   #14
ib4texans
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I'm happy for David's improvements, and expect to see more to come, but which good ones are you talking about??

70% completion for 220 yards........... yawn.....

Any other QB in this league would be closer to 400 yards on 70% completion. with many more TDs to show for it.

while I don't put the blame for any one of our losses squarely on David's shoulders, I find it hard to believe we wouldn't have more wins if we had better play out of the QB position.

Same goes for the OL, same for the RBs, same for the defense.

But if any QB performed worse than ours, I doubt he'd still be playing at this point in the season.

Not saying that David should be sitting down, but that his good..... is everybody else's avg.
Maybe Carr would not be average if the offense did not have to be designed for the 1.5 second release that he was forced into from lack of protection. Now that the protection is there they are stretching the plays to find out what max protection might be, you don't just expect a Texan line to protect long enough for the 40,50,60 yard deep threat. They may get there but people please, would you want to stand back there waiting for your receivers to get down field?
ib4texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006   #15
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 36043 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

I would say the biggest macro problem we have had since our inception has been the development/deployment of available talent. We have done this very, very poorly. It apears the new staff is reversing that trend.
Old 11-09-2006   #16
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264941 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ib4texans View Post
Maybe Carr would not be average if the offense did not have to be designed for the 1.5 second release that he was forced into from lack of protection. Now that the protection is there they are stretching the plays to find out what max protection might be, you don't just expect a Texan line to protect long enough for the 40,50,60 yard deep threat. They may get there but people please, would you want to stand back there waiting for your receivers to get down field?
After 4 years of starting behind the worse line in the history of the NFL, I can guarantee you two things.

I would be the most nimble QB in the league... & the most adept at avoiding sacks.

& I would have hands of steel.... I would never lose a fumble...... it might be stripped as I'm throwing the ball, but you could run me over with a mack truck, and I would be holding the ball in my cold dead hands.

I agree David has had issues to deal with, that he had no control over. But there are things he could control, and he should be better at controlling those things better than any QB in the league right now.
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006   #17
Wharton
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 12 Wharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVP

Good article. I thought it was spot on.
Wharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006   #18
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

In the texans case, I don't think there is anyone to blame (well not currently employed by the organization). Unfortunately, based on overall talent, 2-6 is probably right on schedule. Think this is 5-11, maybe 6-10 football team.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006   #19
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 73110 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Why do some people keep bringing up Gado? I don't get it.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006   #20
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 85602 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Post deleted.

Last edited by Marcus; 11-09-2006 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Deleted for being too flippant.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read