Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-06-2006   #1
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default David Carr's Redemption ?

"When you've got a quarterback like Carr giving up his body and you don't win, it makes you feel even worse," defensive end N.D. Kalu said. "He took control. He gave it up for the team. He gained my respect. I hope his critics back off for a while."
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4312579.html
Carr needed that play, needed a game like that.
But was it enough after his debacle in Nashville last week ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006   #2
TexanFanInCC
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to TexanFanInCC Send a message via Yahoo to TexanFanInCC
Default Re: David Carr's Redemption ?

tough to say.

i said earlier that i didnt like the lil jump shot mocking of strahan that he did. it was fine for mario bc he did his job and has been for at least 4 weeks straight. DC just came off of a benching, and should be worrying more about not being the QB of an inefficient offense as opposed to mocking the great DE's of the NFL. we lost the game, and only scored 10 points. carr had all the protection he needed and 10 points is simply not good enough. sure the running game did nothing to help, but you still have 2 of the best recievers in the NFL and a great TE target in daniels, and i dont think the numbers are what they shoulda been, but i do like carrs guts in going for the TD plunge.
Old 11-06-2006   #3
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
"When you've got a quarterback like Carr giving up his body and you don't win, it makes you feel even worse," defensive end N.D. Kalu said. "He took control. He gave it up for the team. He gained my respect. I hope his critics back off for a while."
But was it enough after his debacle in Nashville last week ?
A 10-7 lead against Giants? If anyone thought before the game we would have the lead at that point of game, he/she ought to be selling "peeks" into the future. Were there bad plays? Sure, but I saw a FOOTBALL GAME. I think Carr re-established himself with team, coaches and most importantly himself.
Meloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006   #4
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 396984 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Carr rebounded nicely yesterday. I did not get the impression of a QB who was constantly looking over his shoulder. I think he completely understands where Kubiak is coming from and wanted to prove something to both himself and the HC.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: this team is winning and losing because of the team. One player is not going to win our games by his lonesome self, but will be part of a unit that succeeds and fails together. This is what I'm seeing from a Kubiak team, and it is the mentality that is possessed by winning teams.
Old 11-06-2006   #5
Texans Front Row Crew
Rookie

In a post game interview, Kubiak was asked if Carr had some redemption today? And Kubiak responded (I'm paraphrasing since I don't have a direct quote):

David played well today. What we are looking for is consistant playmaking. We need him to perform well everygame. Not just good one game, bad another, and OK the next.

He seemed positive about DC, and I would like see him play well every week.

I know one thing for sure, he did not look like the David Carr of last week...

Good job team, keep fighting, its all I ask.
Old 11-06-2006   #6
OrangeCountyTexansFan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meloy View Post
A 10-7 lead against Giants? If anyone thought before the game we would have the lead at that point of game, he/she ought to be selling "peeks" into the future. Were there bad plays? Sure, but I saw a FOOTBALL GAME. I think Carr re-established himself with team, coaches and most importantly himself.
Ditto.
After his touchdown plunge, I thought he would end up with an injured wrist the way he landed. He showed he had guts, and he proved very clearly who our starting quarterback is.
Old 11-06-2006   #7
real

I'm surprised I haven't seen any one talking about the 5 WR sets we were in most of the game...
Sponsored links
Old 11-06-2006   #8
Goldeagle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Goldeagle is a Pro BowlerGoldeagle is a Pro Bowler
Send a message via Yahoo to Goldeagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
He has played that way though. Remember the Atlanta game where he ran for 20 yards to set up the game winning field goal? He could not throw because his arm was basically attached at the shoulder! They had to bring Lance Berkman in to teach him how to slide.
Goldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006   #9
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
I'm surprised I haven't seen any one talking about the 5 WR sets we were in most of the game...
fwiw, I just re-watched the Texans last 24 plays of the game (they ran 57 total) and I saw 5 wides two times.

As far as redemption and all that, the whole team needs to become more consistent and eliminate the wild swings in performance from week to week. Minimize the variation and raise the mean ...
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006   #10
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj. View Post
fwiw, I just re-watched the Texans last 24 plays of the game (they ran 57 total) and I saw 5 wides two times.
I'm not going to argue with you about this, because I haven't re-watched the game and counted the amount of times we were in the set...BUT....

I was just asking because David was on 610 this morning and HE said they were in a lot of 5 wide....not me....He was talking about how it made the game easier.....
Old 11-06-2006   #11
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19818 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj. View Post

As far as redemption and all that, the whole team needs to become more consistent and eliminate the wild swings in performance from week to week. Minimize the variation and raise the mean ...
I couldn't agree more, I have been saying the same thing. If we can play more consistently like we did against the Jags and the Giants, we will win alot more games. I believe overall team performance in both of these games was far better thatn the rest of the year. After we beat the Jags I thought things were clicking and we would get on a roll, then we laid an egg in Tennesse. We have to put it together week-in, week-out.

And we need a steady, strong, reliable running game to help us get there.
Old 11-06-2006   #12
Hulk75
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 428 Hulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respected

It was a great play and showed his character, the guy wants to win.

I thought it was great when everyone mobed him after the TD jump, I saw Travis, Mario, Dunta, Moulds all come up to him and give him hugs, HE needed that so much.

The best TD I have seen from Carr. That meant the most to him I am sure.
Hulk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006   #13
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk75 View Post
It was a great play and showed his character, the guy wants to win.

I thought it was great when everyone mobed him after the TD jump, I saw Travis, Mario, Dunta, Moulds all come up to him and give him hugs, HE needed that so much.
I was laying down watching the game and I jumped up and almost hit my head on the ceiling because I jumped so high....I was pumped, so I KNOW those guys out there actually playing were livid...
Old 11-06-2006   #14
Wharton
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 12 Wharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVP

No redemption yet.

I'll say, DC played better then I expected yesterday and better then he played last year, but no where near good.

DC is still playing scared and it shows in his pass selection. On the majority of plays, DC chooses the dump off and in allot of instances its the right choice. But when you dump off constantly, the defense starts to cheat up and takes away the running game. It was easy to see the Giants game plan yesterday. Shut down the run, make DC beat you over the top. I can only think of one pass play over twenty yards and it was incomplete. There may have been more, I didn't tape the game so I'm going off of memory. DC did exactly what the Giant thought he would do - Dump.

Also, DC is going to have to prove himself within a game. I think DC took a stride forward yesterday by coming back from the benching and playing well. Now lets see him get in trouble in a game and work his way out. I think once this happens, DC be a better, more constant QB.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, DC may have more potential then Sage but at this point in their development, Sage is the better QB.
Wharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006   #15
Texanfan4ever
All Pro

Rep Power: 77 Texanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respected

I jumped up, ran around the room, kissed the tv, and then realized how stupid I looked. LOL I need help!!!
Texanfan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006   #16
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
I'm not going to argue with you about this, because I haven't re-watched the game and counted the amount of times we were in the set...BUT....

I was just asking because David was on 610 this morning and HE said they were in a lot of 5 wide....not me....He was talking about how it made the game easier.....
yeah they went to 5 wide about 4 times total in the game, but since it amounted to no deep passes once again. once again we handcuff our best weapons until Kubiak feels secure enough to take the training wheels off the offense and David Carr.
Old 11-06-2006   #17
ridn4_8
Rookie

I think the last game may the the sparking point for the team, coupled w/ DC's team mates backing him up from last week. We went into a game that everyone predicted was gonna be this butt whooping like never seen before....yet those guys held their own against one of the best teams in the NFL to date. To lose to a team like the Giants by only 4 points, using a first year offensive system, is nothing to be ashamed of. It looks to me like these guys are starting to click w/ the systems, and which each other, which, IMO, will just lead to better things in the future.
As far as DC's game, I saw a guy that seemed to settle down to some degree with some confidence, and be the decisive leader he needs to be for the offense...
ridn4_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006   #18
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Carr responded to the benching well. More importantly, the team responded to him scoring the TD in essence coming to a maligned brother's side.

However, we lost. There may have been redemption for Carr, but the Texans are still looking for more value out of the 7.2 million they are spending. Until he plays consistently and we win there is no redemption for the bottom line in my opinion.
Old 11-06-2006   #19
bkparsons
Rookie

Don't get all excited because Carr did what he was supposed to do. He didn't do anything special. He didn't turn the ball over, he threw safe short passes. That's not what I want. No turnovers, sure, but I'm tired of the dump passes for short gains. This guy is afraid to look downfield. Somewhere in the late 3rd or early 4th quarter, we were driving and there was a crucial 3rd down play where Carr dropped back and then Weigart had a holding penalty and that kille the drive. If you look at that play, that was all Carr. He dropped back, and instead of stepping up in the pocket, he stayed back and Weigart had to grab the defender to keep him from sacking Carr. This happens over and over. Yesterday, car never stepped up in the pocket. When he felt pressure, he ran. The runs were good, but he didn't have to do that on all the runs. Step up away from the pressure, buy yourself a second or two, and find your reciever. I'm tired of hearing all the props this guy is getting for just doing his job. Have we owered our standards that much?
bkparsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006   #20
Texanfan4ever
All Pro

Rep Power: 77 Texanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkparsons View Post
Don't get all excited because Carr did what he was supposed to do. He didn't do anything special. He didn't turn the ball over, he threw safe short passes. That's not what I want. No turnovers, sure, but I'm tired of the dump passes for short gains. This guy is afraid to look downfield. Somewhere in the late 3rd or early 4th quarter, we were driving and there was a crucial 3rd down play where Carr dropped back and then Weigart had a holding penalty and that kille the drive. If you look at that play, that was all Carr. He dropped back, and instead of stepping up in the pocket, he stayed back and Weigart had to grab the defender to keep him from sacking Carr. This happens over and over. Yesterday, car never stepped up in the pocket. When he felt pressure, he ran. The runs were good, but he didn't have to do that on all the runs. Step up away from the pressure, buy yourself a second or two, and find your reciever. I'm tired of hearing all the props this guy is getting for just doing his job. Have we owered our standards that much?

You need to go back and re-watch the game. He stepped up in the pocket a lot. And correct me if I am wrong, he is given plays by the coaches, he doesn't get to make them himself. That's where Kubiak had him playing yesterday, and that was safe, which is what everyone is complaining about.

And he should get props for his play yesterday. We might not have won, but he had a great game against a great team, even if you don't want to admit it. Not to mention how the rest of the team played too.

I'm giving them all props!
Texanfan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read