Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-05-2006   #1
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Quit knee-jerking. The one thing we need? T-I-M-E

These are the REAL things that are "killing us," and not a SINGULAR player as we seem to try and rat out each week:

First-year staff

Revamped roster

New systems on offense and defense

Oh, and there's the residual effects of four years of completely incompetent coaching that's trying to wear off of this team.

And that's what you saw today: A Texans team who didn't know how to avoid late hits and celebratory penalties. A Texans team that cannot hold onto the football at key times nor "put a game away" when we have the lead.

It's the mark of a team that's been mired in ugliness for so long that when we finally get over on a team...we inevitably shoot ourselves in the foot because we don't know how to handle our success. It comes with the territory. It's like getting a date with your "dream girl" and then farting in front of her during the meal. Niiiiiiiiice.

The big thing to remember is this:

1. NEW STAFF (as mentioned above): Kubiak benched Carr, to send a message. Message received. And nobody can pin THIS loss on David Carr. Kubiak is demonstrating the power to motivate players. AJ, if I remember correctly did not drop a pass that was catchable. AJ was motivated by the Carr benching. We had perhaps TWO false starts and only one sack that was even the fault of the o line. The o line was motivated.

2. RE-VAMPED ROSTER (as mentioned above): Team chemistry is building. Glenn Earl made the big hit, earning more rep as a heavy hitter if you don't keep your head on a swivel. Demeco and Mario are a one-two punch for sure. Owen Daniels is proving to be clutch. Walter is picking up a first down every now and then when the ball is thrown his way, doing what he's supposed to do when it's time to do it. A lot of new players mixed with a few remaining players from previous years are beginning to "gel."

3. NEW SYSTEMS ON OFFENSE AND DEFENSE (as mentioned above): Cut us some slack. We're learning a proven "winner" of an offensive system that is beginning to look more comfortable to the players each week. We switched from a 3-4 to a 4-3, and I would say that the change has been a positive one thus far. Mario is racking up sacks. Demeco is racking up tackles. How many teams change BOTH systems over the course of one offseason. and under our re-building conditions? Tick tock. Tick tock.

Relax.

I come here every Sunday to see who the new "scape goat" is going to be.

Seems that it's Cook today.

It was Carr last week.

Who, oh who, will it be next week?

IMO, we're amazingly good for the three reasons (mentioned above) contrasted against what we looked like a year ago at this time.

We're only a bad team because the roots are not deep enough yet. People calling for Kubiak's head already? (Sigh) Wow.
Old 11-05-2006   #2
Bamaborn-Texasbred
All Pro

Rep Power: 10 Bamaborn-Texasbred is a Pro BowlerBamaborn-Texasbred is a Pro Bowler
Default Re: Quit knee-jerking. The one thing we need? T-I-M-E

Agreed.
Old 11-05-2006   #3
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Any post on a Sunday afternoon is a knee-jerk post, or a knee-jerk reaction to a knee-jerk post.

If you don't want to read knee-jerk posts, come back here around Wednesday. Otherwise, bang your shins along with the rest of us.
Marcus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006   #4
Merlin
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshafer_1976 View Post

It was Carr last week.

IMO, we're amazingly good for the three reasons (mentioned above) contrasted against what we looked like a year ago at this time.

We're only a bad team because the roots are not deep enough yet. People calling for Kubiak's head already? (Sigh) Wow.
Great post and great wrap-up.

I won't leave you guessing on my scapegoat. I've been consistent on that...
Old 11-05-2006   #5
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
And that's what you saw today: A Texans team who didn't know how to avoid late hits and celebratory penalties. A Texans team that cannot hold onto the football at key times nor "put a game away" when we have the lead.
Do you have any idea this team went crazy after Carr made that touchdown?? That was Carr sacrificing his body for this team, that was Carr putting the team on his shoulders...... if I'm not mistaken, that was the first time Carr took that step, in that direction, and did not come up short.

That shows how much support the little booger has from his teammates. I was impressed, I can feel a little warm spot in my heart starting to form for #8......... I'd take that penalty any day of the week.

David Carr was Ball'n.
Quote:
It's the mark of a team that's been mired in ugliness for so long that when we finally get over on a team...we inevitably shoot ourselves in the foot because we don't know how to handle our success. It comes with the territory. It's like getting a date with your "dream girl" and then farting in front of her during the meal. Niiiiiiiiice.

we finally get rid of the "Expansion team" crutch....... now we've got to find a way to get rid of this "2-14 team" crutch.
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006   #6
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
These are the REAL things that are "killing us," and not a SINGULAR player as we seem to try and rat out each week:

First-year staff

Revamped roster

New systems on offense and defense

Oh, and there's the residual effects of four years of completely incompetent coaching that's trying to wear off of this team.

The big thing to remember is this:

1. NEW STAFF (as mentioned above): Kubiak benched Carr, to send a message. Message received. And nobody can pin THIS loss on David Carr. Kubiak is demonstrating the power to motivate players. AJ, if I remember correctly did not drop a pass that was catchable. AJ was motivated by the Carr benching. We had perhaps TWO false starts and only one sack that was even the fault of the o line. The o line was motivated.

2. RE-VAMPED ROSTER (as mentioned above): Team chemistry is building. Glenn Earl made the big hit, earning more rep as a heavy hitter if you don't keep your head on a swivel. Demeco and Mario are a one-two punch for sure. Owen Daniels is proving to be clutch. Walter is picking up a first down every now and then when the ball is thrown his way, doing what he's supposed to do when it's time to do it. A lot of new players mixed with a few remaining players from previous years are beginning to "gel."

3. NEW SYSTEMS ON OFFENSE AND DEFENSE (as mentioned above): Cut us some slack. We're learning a proven "winner" of an offensive system that is beginning to look more comfortable to the players each week. We switched from a 3-4 to a 4-3, and I would say that the change has been a positive one thus far. Mario is racking up sacks. Demeco is racking up tackles. How many teams change BOTH systems over the course of one offseason. and under our re-building conditions? Tick tock. Tick tock.

Relax.

It was Carr last week.

Great post gpshafer! I really like the "dream date" analogy!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read