Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-05-2006   #1
HeartofHouston
Veteran

Default The Rushing Attack..

Is anybody else out there sick to their stomach wit this running game?.. We Have To Do Something About The Rushing Attack...

Honestly this game should have been wrapped up long time ago. The rushing game is doing ABSOLUTELY nothing. It's been very rare that Carr was off his game, but that one game when he was off the running game really stepped up. But now that he's back on his game the running game dissappears again.

The best game plan is ball control and good defense and running the ball is a huge part of ball control. I've been as patient as possible but it's getting very pathetic. 20 rushes for 43 yards 8 yards was the longest rush. that's 2.15 per carry.

So is it the running back committee, play calling or is it the offensive linemen that is just not helping us out??

Do we need to aim for a lot of picks in the trenches (like The Jets did), do we need to pick a better RB in the draft with our high pick? Lynch is looking real good to me right now. What do you think??
Old 11-05-2006   #2
Bamaborn-Texasbred
All Pro

Rep Power: 10 Bamaborn-Texasbred is a Pro BowlerBamaborn-Texasbred is a Pro Bowler
Default Re: The Rushing Attack..

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/teamst...061105_HOU@NYG

NFL.COM shows a little over 3 yards per carry. Not much better, I know. But...

They had a chance to win with 6 minutes left in the game against a very, very good team. They are getting better and better. I'll take what I have seen so far and where it looks like they are headed over what was going on around here last year.
Old 11-05-2006   #3
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

For some dang reason, we can't seem to do run blocking and pass blocking well in the same game. Can do one or the other, but not both in the same game.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006   #4
Goldeagle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Goldeagle is a Pro BowlerGoldeagle is a Pro Bowler
Send a message via Yahoo to Goldeagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783 View Post
For some dang reason, we can't seem to do run blocking and pass blocking well in the same game. Can do one or the other, but not both in the same game.

Amen, its sure seems like we cant figure out both.
Goldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006   #5
sakebomb
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1859 sakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respected

Is there really anything we can do this late in the season. What you see is what you get.
Old 11-05-2006   #6
Mysteryhunt
Veteran

giants run D has shut down far greater backs than wali. outside of the atlanta game they've dominated the run.
Mysteryhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006   #7
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Common Sense: Is there a reason every1 in the nfl doesnt use denvers system of running when its so successful?????

maybe because it is alot more difficult to teach and master and you can have more initial success with other schemes??

im not certain but thats my guess- like some1 said in another thread..give this team time
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-05-2006   #8
Hulk75
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 428 Hulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartofHouston View Post
Is anybody else out there sick to their stomach wit this running game?.. We Have To Do Something About The Rushing Attack...

Honestly this game should have been wrapped up long time ago. The rushing game is doing ABSOLUTELY nothing. It's been very rare that Carr was off his game, but that one game when he was off the running game really stepped up. But now that he's back on his game the running game dissappears again.

The best game plan is ball control and good defense and running the ball is a huge part of ball control. I've been as patient as possible but it's getting very pathetic. 20 rushes for 43 yards 8 yards was the longest rush. that's 2.15 per carry.

So is it the running back committee, play calling or is it the offensive linemen that is just not helping us out??

Do we need to aim for a lot of picks in the trenches (like The Jets did), do we need to pick a better RB in the draft with our high pick? Lynch is looking real good to me right now. What do you think??
Your right, thats why I think Kubiak had a great game gameplan comming into this game.

5 wide, and your rb is Carr, completion for 4, for 4, for 6 and so on, so it was like we did have some what of a running game.
Hulk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006   #9
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

I'll repeat this again for emphasis. We have talked about wanting to run the ball effectively for 5 years now. Yet we haven't spent a 1st round selection on a lineman or RB. Heck, the only 2nd round selections we have spent on those positions were on a guard, given he is a good one (Pitts), and a DB/QB that had played 4 games at RB in his life and is no longer in the league.

Despite our extreme needs in the secondary, it might be wise to spend our first two selections next year on an OT and a RB, hopefully an OT. An effective running game helps keep the defense off the field. Heck that alone could improve our defense.

Perhaps we can sign a FA safety and or corner in the offseason.
Old 11-05-2006   #10
TeaMan21
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartofHouston View Post

To be fair no-one has much success running against us this year. I say you guys should draft in the trenches. A couple of years back when the Giants went 4-12 (i still have nightmares about that year) our O-line reeked. we drafted Chris Snee, picked up Kareem McKenzie from the jets and got a new O-line coach. I would say that's the key to the giants turn around.
That being said our O-Line had a bad day today, at least in pass protection.
TeaMan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006   #11
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 296677 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I thought our biggest problems running the ball was McKinney & Flanagan. They both get owned by LineBakers.......

But generally speaking, we are too soft. We run up to a guy, and stand in front of him, and that's pretty much the way we block(as if they are in practice or something)

I remember the Skins game, & I watched the Broncos today.. when they go to run block, they are knocking guys over, not just standing in front of them.

Pitts misses too many blocks for my taste, & Salaam is too vulnerable to the cutblock....... I know, the defensive guys should be the ones worried about their knees, but it seems everytime Salaam leads the pack, someone is trying to take out his knees.

Poor guy.

But I definitely see a gaurd in next years draft..... that's your running game, your guards......

I don't care whether he gets a guy in the first round, or the second, or even the second day...... I trust kubes.
thunderkyss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006   #12
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
But I definitely see a gaurd in next years draft..... that's your running game, your guards......
I'm beginning to wonder if Winston is more of a guard than an OT. Regardless, we need to spend an early pick on a lineman next year.
Old 11-06-2006   #13
brewhaus
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre View Post
I'm beginning to wonder if Winston is more of a guard than an OT. Regardless, we need to spend an early pick on a lineman next year.
A real early pick. Like, the first round. If we are picking 6th in '07 as is forecasted, we should be in good shape to get either Joe Thomas, Jake Long or (I hope) Justin Blalock, unless the 5 teams that pick before the Texans are in dire straights for some O-Line help too.
Old 11-06-2006   #14
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP

Quote:
We need to draft some bipolar linemen.
Meloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006   #15
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldeagle View Post
Amen, its sure seems like we cant figure out both.
The running game is the beneficiary of wide splits, but at the price of being
detrimental to pass protection. And vice versa.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006   #16
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meloy View Post
We need to draft some bipolar linemen.
Maybe that's what we have?

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006   #17
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 320620 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Maybe that's what we have?

We have linemen? When did that happen and why didn't I get the memo?
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006   #18
phan1
All Pro

It could have been better obviously, but it wasn't sickening (like that Dallas game). We were able to convert a 3rd and short with it at least. But yeah, it'd be really nice to have a better running game.
phan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006   #19
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74306 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I believe McClain and Kubiak both said that Lundy left a lot of yardage on the field. At least some of it had to be his fault in the Giants game. He chose the wrong direction to run several times and I saw that as well when watching the game. What I saw myself was him running inside and not seeing the other option, which was breaking toward the outside off tackle, and it was a better choice. The O-line wasn't exactly dominating, to say the least, but he could've done better.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read