Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 11-05-2006   #1
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man
Default Aaron Ross

Many experts rated him as a 3rd round pick, but they way he is playing right now; his stock is rising. Depending who we take in the 1st, if he is still on the board in the 2nd I would have to consider looking at him there. What do you think?
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006   #2
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Aaron Ross

Quote:
Originally Posted by V Man View Post
Many experts rated him as a 3rd round pick, but they way he is playing right now; his stock is rising. Depending who we take in the 1st, if he is still on the board in the 2nd I would have to consider looking at him there. What do you think?
If he ends up winning the Thorpe (which looks possible) then he will be gone in the 1st (probably 25-30).

He is hard to grade for scouts cuz this is only his first year as a starter.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006   #3
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88

http://forums.houstontexans.com/showthread.php?t=30302

Quote:
Originally Posted by LORK 88
Speaking of UT CBs, Aaron Ross looked pretty good. He's fast, and multidimensional (returned Kicks and Punts as well). What caught my attention is that he'd line up 3-4 yards off the receiver and wouldn't get beat deep. As potential problems, I could see his confidence being a bit of a problem when he gets to the NFL underestimating some WRs. I could also see his agressive play getting the best of him as he had a few instances when I thought pass interference could be called on him for having a slap war with WRs down the field.
I either need to stop writing so much, or I need to bring more attention to my posts . . .
Old 11-05-2006   #4
AustinJB
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 AustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by V Man View Post
Yeah, Ross is really playing well. Truth is, he's played well every year, but this is his first year to start b/c of the depth that Texas has at DB.

Ross may still be there in the 2nd and if he is, he would be a great pick IMO. He could be another D. Ryans type scenario...a potential 1st rounder that slips to the 2nd.

The way I see it, either Ross or Griffin should be there in the 2nd round. Texans should take a CB and FS in the 1st and 2nd. If we take Landry in the 1st, then hope Ross slips to the 2nd....if we take Leon Hall or another CB in the 1st, hope Griffin is available in the 2nd.
Old 11-05-2006   #5
hot pickle
السلام عليكم

Rep Power: 2074 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJB View Post
Yeah, Ross is really playing well. Truth is, he's played well every year, but this is his first year to start b/c of the depth that Texas has at DB.

Ross may still be there in the 2nd and if he is, he would be a great pick IMO. He could be another D. Ryans type scenario...a potential 1st rounder that slips to the 2nd.

The way I see it, either Ross or Griffin should be there in the 2nd round. Texans should take a CB and FS in the 1st and 2nd. If we take Landry in the 1st, then hope Ross slips to the 2nd....if we take Leon Hall or another CB in the 1st, hope Griffin is available in the 2nd.
i'd rather have hughes then hall, but there both good players,but if we could get ross or griffin in the 2nd i'd be a happy person,and with are 5th round choice, get Dwight Landry from San Jose State, or a shut down corner in the 1-AA in college, seems like CB's from the 1-AA come to the NFL and do pretty good, like mathis and the kid from the colts, but i'll support the texans picks no matter who they are
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006   #6
hot pickle
السلام عليكم

Rep Power: 2074 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

just watched the highlight video on aaron ross and he is a great CB and Special Teams guy. can return kicks and is a good corner, the only thing that has me questioning him is his lack of exprience, he has only been a starting CB at UT for this season, hopefully he will fall to the 2nd round

has there been a thorpe award winner that has ever been picked after the first round?
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006   #7
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunta23 View Post
i'd rather have hughes then hall, but there both good players,but if we could get ross or griffin in the 2nd i'd be a happy person,and with are 5th round choice, get Dwight Landry from San Jose State, or a shut down corner in the 1-AA in college, seems like CB's from the 1-AA come to the NFL and do pretty good, like mathis and the kid from the colts, but i'll support the texans picks no matter who they are
Dwight Lowery has something like 8 interceptions on the season. Seems like a 4th or 5th rounder. San Jose St. isn't a bad team this year...I say if they keep up the good year he goes in the 4th.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-09-2006   #8
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
Dwight Lowery has something like 8 interceptions on the season. Seems like a 4th or 5th rounder. San Jose St. isn't a bad team this year...I say if they keep up the good year he goes in the 4th.
Similiar situation to the DB from Abline Christian...Daniel Manning I believe?
Old 11-09-2006   #9
real

This is Ross' first year as the primary starter, but he's started games before this year, and has played in just about every game since his freshman year...FWIW..
Old 11-09-2006   #10
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
This is Ross' first year as the primary starter, but he's started games before this year, and has played in just about every game since his freshman year...FWIW..
Not true.

He was academically ineligible his fr. & soph. years.
Old 11-09-2006   #11
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Not true.

He was academically ineligible his fr. & soph. years.

Aaron Ross #31

Height: 6-1
Weight: 192
Class: Sr.-3L
Hometown: Tyler, TX (John Tyler)

JUNIOR (2005)
Played in all 13 games, starting two, at cornerback … tabbed first-team All-Big 12 as a punt returner by Fort Worth Star-Telegram, Houston Chronicle and San Antonio Express-News and second-team All-Big 12 by the Austin American-Statesman … earned honorable mention All-Big 12 honors as a punt returner from The Associated Press … part of a defense that ranked 10th nationally in total defense (302.9 ypg), eighth in scoring defense (16.4 ppg), fourth in pass efficiency defense (96.7) and eighth in passing defense (172.0 ypg) … recorded 62 tackles, two TFL, a team-high three INTs, nine PBU and forced a fumble … posted 500 punt return yards (No. 3 on UT’s single-season list) on 34 returns (No. 8 on UT’s single season list) and scored two TDs (T-No. 1 on UT’s single season list) … his 14.7 yards per return average ranked 10th in the nation … he is only the second player in UT history to return two punts for TDs in a season … also finished third on the team with nine special teams tackles … opened the season with two tackles, a PBU and an INT, while returning five punts for 106 yards, including a 52-yarder, against La.-Lafayette … added six tackles, including a TFL, at No. 4 Ohio State … added three tackles against Rice … posted two tackles and returned four punts for 129 yards, including an 88-yard TD, at Missouri … the 88-yard TD return is the third longest in UT history … was named Big 12 Special Teams Player of the Week (10/3) for his efforts

SOPHOMORE (2004)
Shared time with starter Tarell Brown at cornerback in all 12 games … posted 36 tackles, three PBUs and an INT … a key part of a defense that allowed just 320.1 yards per game (23rd NCAA) and 17.9 points per game (18th NCAA) … led the team in punt returns and yardage with 18 for 136 yards … averaging 7.6 yards per return with a long of 20 yards at Colorado … had one kickoff return for 26 yards at Arkansas … opened the season with one tackle against North Texas … posted three tackles at Arkansas … made four tackles versus Rice … tallied four tackles and a PBU against Baylor … recorded five tackles and a PBU versus No. 2 Oklahoma … had a career-high eight tackles and his first career INT against Missouri … returned the interception 64 yards to the Missouri 12, leading to a UT touchdown and a 21-14 lead … had three tackles and a PBU at Texas Tech … posted two tackles at Colorado, versus No. 19 Oklahoma State, at Kansas and versus No. 13 Michigan in the Rose Bowl.

FRESHMAN (2003)
Played in all 13 games as the primary backup at left cornerback and on special teams … shared UT’s Outstanding Defensive Newcomer honor … registered 27 tackles (22 solos), including 11 on special teams, and two PBUs … made one tackle in his first career game (versus New Mexico State) … recorded three tackles each at Rice and Iowa State … also recorded his first career PBU against the Cyclones … had a season-high five tackles, all solo, at Baylor … notched two tackles versus No. 15 Washington State in the Holiday Bowl.

Yeah, I guess you're right...

Last edited by real; 11-09-2006 at 08:38 AM.
Old 11-09-2006   #12
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:

Aaron Ross #31

Height: 6-1
Weight: 192
Class: Sr.-3L
Hometown: Tyler, TX (John Tyler)

JUNIOR (2005)
Played in all 13 games, starting two, at cornerback … tabbed first-team All-Big 12 as a punt returner by Fort Worth Star-Telegram, Houston Chronicle and San Antonio Express-News and second-team All-Big 12 by the Austin American-Statesman … earned honorable mention All-Big 12 honors as a punt returner from The Associated Press … part of a defense that ranked 10th nationally in total defense (302.9 ypg), eighth in scoring defense (16.4 ppg), fourth in pass efficiency defense (96.7) and eighth in passing defense (172.0 ypg) … recorded 62 tackles, two TFL, a team-high three INTs, nine PBU and forced a fumble … posted 500 punt return yards (No. 3 on UT’s single-season list) on 34 returns (No. 8 on UT’s single season list) and scored two TDs (T-No. 1 on UT’s single season list) … his 14.7 yards per return average ranked 10th in the nation … he is only the second player in UT history to return two punts for TDs in a season … also finished third on the team with nine special teams tackles … opened the season with two tackles, a PBU and an INT, while returning five punts for 106 yards, including a 52-yarder, against La.-Lafayette … added six tackles, including a TFL, at No. 4 Ohio State … added three tackles against Rice … posted two tackles and returned four punts for 129 yards, including an 88-yard TD, at Missouri … the 88-yard TD return is the third longest in UT history … was named Big 12 Special Teams Player of the Week (10/3) for his efforts

SOPHOMORE (2004)
Shared time with starter Tarell Brown at cornerback in all 12 games … posted 36 tackles, three PBUs and an INT … a key part of a defense that allowed just 320.1 yards per game (23rd NCAA) and 17.9 points per game (18th NCAA) … led the team in punt returns and yardage with 18 for 136 yards … averaging 7.6 yards per return with a long of 20 yards at Colorado … had one kickoff return for 26 yards at Arkansas … opened the season with one tackle against North Texas … posted three tackles at Arkansas … made four tackles versus Rice … tallied four tackles and a PBU against Baylor … recorded five tackles and a PBU versus No. 2 Oklahoma … had a career-high eight tackles and his first career INT against Missouri … returned the interception 64 yards to the Missouri 12, leading to a UT touchdown and a 21-14 lead … had three tackles and a PBU at Texas Tech … posted two tackles at Colorado, versus No. 19 Oklahoma State, at Kansas and versus No. 13 Michigan in the Rose Bowl.

FRESHMAN (2003)
Played in all 13 games as the primary backup at left cornerback and on special teams … shared UT’s Outstanding Defensive Newcomer honor … registered 27 tackles (22 solos), including 11 on special teams, and two PBUs … made one tackle in his first career game (versus New Mexico State) … recorded three tackles each at Rice and Iowa State … also recorded his first career PBU against the Cyclones … had a season-high five tackles, all solo, at Baylor … notched two tackles versus No. 15 Washington State in the Holiday Bowl.

Yeah, I guess you're right...
Well I know for a fact that he was ineligible for 2 years.

If he has played 4 then I guess he is has been at Texas for 6 and is just 2 years older than everyone else.
Old 11-09-2006   #13
real

Quote:
Well I know for a fact that he was ineligible for 2 years.

If he has played 4 then I guess he is has been at Texas for 6 and is just 2 years older than everyone else.

PERSONAL
Born 9/15/82
in San Antonio … full name is Aaron Jermaine Ross … also has lived in Chandler, Texas … majoring in education … active in UT’s community service program … served as a summer camp counselor during high school (Camp Tyler Summer Camp) … enjoys playing video games in his spare time.

You may be right, but before you say what Im saying is "not true"....you should do your research....
Old 11-09-2006   #14
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
PERSONAL
Born 9/15/82
in San Antonio … full name is Aaron Jermaine Ross … also has lived in Chandler, Texas … majoring in education … active in UT’s community service program … served as a summer camp counselor during high school (Camp Tyler Summer Camp) … enjoys playing video games in his spare time.

You may be right, but before you say I'm wrong you should do your research...
Your right. I shouldnt have said you were wrong.

But I was positive that he was ineligible for 2 years.

If he is 24 then it is most likely that this is his 6th year in college.
Old 11-09-2006   #15
real

Quote:
Your right. I shouldnt have said you were wrong.

But I was positive that he was ineligible for 2 years.

If he is 24 then it is most likely that this is his 6th year in college.
Yeah.... you are probably right about that because he does seem a little ripe...
Old 11-09-2006   #16
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

I think he is worth a 2nd round selection. though I see him going 25-32.

He has the size and instincts to play the game. If you have watched him in any of his games, you will have seen at least 1 game changing play from this guy.

I think he would be a great 2nd round pick for us. Throw him in at nickel, and let him learn.

He would make a great draft for us, linking him with either Adrian Peterson, or Joe Thomas.

Dark horse pick: I really cant see us going for a defensive player again. So I will choose Calvin Johnson.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006   #17
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

Ross had clearinghouse issues coming out of high school. He could've enrolled at UT and been ineligible for two years but instead went back to high school (this after already receiving a diploma, mind you), finished the classes that were in question and enrolled into UT two years later with 4 years of eligibility still intact.
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006   #18
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1964 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports...exas-ross.html

Here is the story,from the AP.

Longhorns defensive back took long road to UT and success

By Jim Vertuno
ASSOCIATED PRESS

12:16 a.m. October 19, 2006

AUSTIN, Texas – Aaron Ross had to feel like he was in “The Twilight Zone.”
Understanding College Football Fans (PDF)

He was 20 years old and back in high school. Sitting among 15- and 16-year-olds in sophomore English, he listened to the same discussions about composition, literature and poetry he had already heard years before.

And yet, he was happy.

Pass this class – again – and his long and winding road to becoming a Texas Longhorn would finally end. An administrative goof and a missing half credit of high school English had held up his college football career for two years.

“I did a lot of waiting,” said Ross, now a 24-year-old senior starting cornerback for No. 5 Texas. “And praying.”

He looks back on those days with a laugh now. None of it seemed very funny four years ago.
Ross didn't know it, but his long detour began when he moved from San Antonio to Tyler after his sophomore year of high school.

Although he didn't start playing football until he was 15, two years in Tyler had turned him into a top recruit. He was part of the Longhorns' 2001 recruiting class considered among the best in the country.

He graduated in the spring and by late summer he was ready for preseason practice.

Then the NCAA stepped in. There was a problem.

Although he had been accepted by the university, his high school transcript didn't show he had taken English II, a core requirement for the NCAA.

He wasn't eligible to play because that measly half credit didn't make the paperwork when he changed schools.

There were tears when coach Mack Brown broke the news. Texas filed a waiver with the NCAA but was denied. Ross went home to Tyler.

He thought about enrolling at Blinn Junior College, but spending two years in exile at a college football outpost didn't appeal to him.

So he waited. He worked out. He got a job as a file clerk in a doctor's office as officials tried to drum up a record of his sophomore class.

Ross thought the problem was fixed and signed again with Texas in 2002 as part of another standout class that included Vince Young.

But the same thing happened. The NCAA still didn't have the missing class.

“Everybody was apologizing,” Ross said. “But it wasn't changing anything.”

A Texas assistant coach suggested he retake the missing class. That meant going back to high school.

When he left high school the first time in 2001, he was a senior football stud. Now he was a 20-year-old 10th grader. Teenage angst and girl problems were supposed to be long gone, not surrounding him.

“It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be,” he said. “People did tease me about coming back out for the football team.”

He passed – again – with an “A” – again – and signed with Texas – again – in 2003.

“I was part of three recruiting classes,” Ross said with a laugh.

He's played a key role on defense and special teams ever since, and he plans to graduate next summer with a degree in education.

Teammate Michael Griffin got the early attention as the leader of the secondary this season, but it's been the steady Ross who has been the most consistent. He has a team-high four interceptions, two in the fourth quarter against Oklahoma.

He typically draws the toughest coverage assignments. That meant matching up with Ohio State's Ted Ginn Jr., who beat him for a touchdown in the Buckeyes' 24-7 win, a play featured on the cover of Sports Illustrated.

Ross shrugs it off. A year earlier, he helped shut down Ginn in a Texas win.

Even after Ohio State won, Buckeyes quarterback Troy Smith called Ross a “great cornerback, probably the best in the Big 12.”

Ross lived up to that with his game against Oklahoma. The two interceptions and a fumble return for a touchdown clinched a 28-10 win. Brown started lobbying for Ross to be an all-American.

“If he's not the best defensive back playing in the country,” UT defensive co-coordinator Duane Akina said, “I don't know who is.”

As a punt returner, Ross has three career touchdowns.

Ross says life is good with that two-year detour well behind him, a wait that taught him patience and persistence. At 24, he takes good-natured ribbing from his teammates that he's the “old man” of the team.

His girlfriend, Sanya Richards, is the former UT track star who holds the American women's record in the 400 meters and won an Olympic relay gold medal in 2004.

Richards got to Texas a year before Ross and met him his freshman year.

“Then I found out he was older than me,” she said. “I didn't understand how that could be.”

She was attracted to him in part because he always seemed so happy. Even when she dinged up his car in a fender bender, he didn't get mad.

“There's not a single thing to be unhappy about,” said Ross, who somewhere in all that extra English education learned how to write his girlfriend a couple of poems.

The two get a lot of ribbing now about who's faster.

Ross said he could take her in the 100 or 200 meters. The 400, her specialty, would be different.

“She'd murder me,” Ross said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006   #19
Rex King
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 Rex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVP

I like Ross' upside, and I'm a neutral when it comes to UT, but here's a question. Between him, Griffin, and Tarrell Brown, who was more highly rated than Ross coming into the season, you'd think they'd be pretty good against the pass. So how do you explain the fact that UT is ranked 108th in passing defense and 78th in passing efficiency defense. Is it a case of teams passing more after falling behind and UT playing prevent? Is it scheme?
Rex King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006   #20
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Injuries
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read