Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-04-2006   #1
brewhaus
All Pro

Default Strahan. The Record.

Quoting CBS Sports:
"Strahan tries again to become the franchise's all-time sack leader when the Giants host the Texans for the first time Sunday.

First-place New York (5-2) has compiled 18 sacks during its run, including three by Strahan. The Pro Bowl defensive end did not have a sack in last week's 17-3 victory over Tampa Bay and remains tied with Lawrence Taylor with 132 1/2 sacks.

"I'm worried about winning," Strahan said. "In the course of that, if I can get a quarterback, that's great. I'm working at it every day here at practice and I'm definitely working at it in the games. Eventually, it will come (if I) stay healthy enough to stay out there."
"

This will be a good barometer for measuring how intensely the O-Line is playing........can we shut down Stahan? You know he is coming out Sunday with his ears pinned back.....he probably wants that sack "early" in the game.
Old 11-04-2006   #2
TeaMan21
Rookie

Default Re: Strahan. The Record.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewhaus View Post
Quoting CBS Sports:
"Strahan tries again to become the franchise's all-time sack leader when the Giants host the Texans for the first time Sunday.

First-place New York (5-2) has compiled 18 sacks during its run, including three by Strahan. The Pro Bowl defensive end did not have a sack in last week's 17-3 victory over Tampa Bay and remains tied with Lawrence Taylor with 132 1/2 sacks.

"I'm worried about winning," Strahan said. "In the course of that, if I can get a quarterback, that's great. I'm working at it every day here at practice and I'm definitely working at it in the games. Eventually, it will come (if I) stay healthy enough to stay out there."
"

This will be a good barometer for measuring how intensely the O-Line is playing........can we shut down Stahan? He sounds like he's all business but you know he is coming out Sunday with his ears pinned back.....he probably wants that sack "early" in the game.
Giants fan here
A lot of people make the mistake of thinking Strahan is all about sacks.
Not so, he's also a great run stopper and so often if he doesn't get a sack you'll see a bunch of other guys flourishing cos Strahan's double or even triple teamed. Also he can cause havoc with your passing game tippping passes, and he'll even show rush then drop back into coverage at times which has led to more than 1 int in his career. he's more than a monstor pass rusher, he's an alert, heads-up player who can beat you so many different ways.

But on the other side, yeah, he is HUNGRY fro that record. LT was his idol and he is really excited about this record. Watch him, not just for his sacks but just because he's a legend and a master at his craft.

BTW, your rookie, williams looks pretty good too. for what it's worth i think time may look favourably on that draft pick over reggie bush.
TeaMan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006   #3
djready711
Rookie

Quote:
Quoting CBS Sports:

"

This will be a good barometer for measuring how intensely the O-Line is playing........can we shut down Stahan? You know he is coming out Sunday with his ears pinned back.....he probably wants that sack "early" in the game.
Giants fan here, I don't know if you guys will be able to contain the big guy, Strahan, but it is quite possible. If Osi is unable to play, your offense can double up on Strahan the whole time and take your chances with a 1 on 1 with our rookie, Kiwinuka. The only thing is, Mathias isn't no chump either and he can cause some problems of his own.

I'd like to see Strahan get multiple sacks though and break the record at home. Until he gets at least 10 more sacks though, he will have not truely broke the record in my eyes, it still belongs to LT because of his 9.5 sacks that went unrecorded in his rookie year.

By the way, I think Super Mario is going to be an outstanding pass rusher for you guys in the years to come, he is full of potential and seems to have a good head on his shoulders.
djready711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006   #4
brewhaus
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaMan21 View Post
Giants fan here
Not so, he's also a great run stopper and so often if he doesn't get a sack you'll see a bunch of other guys flourishing cos Strahan's double or even triple teamed. Also he can cause havoc with your passing game tippping passes, and he'll even show rush then drop back into coverage at times which has led to more than 1 int in his career. he's more than a monstor pass rusher, he's an alert, heads-up player who can beat you so many different ways.

But on the other side, yeah, he is HUNGRY fro that record. LT was his idol and he is really excited about this record. Watch him, not just for his sacks but just because he's a legend and a master at his craft.

BTW, your rookie, williams looks pretty good too. for what it's worth i think time may look favourably on that draft pick over reggie bush.
Stahan definately sounds like "All Business". I guess that approach to the game is why he is rubbing elbows with LT now. No doubt the Giants D-Line is going to be a "character builder" for the Texans. I am hopeful that your Defensive Line won't literally "Take Us to School", but this will be our toughest challenge this year.
As big as Stahan is, it's hard to believe he can move well enough to drop back for pass coverage......but I suppose the farther back he is the harder it is to get the ball over him. It just shows what a well rounded talent he is.
Old 11-04-2006   #5
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3261 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

I'll give it to Strahan, classy guy. Had some good things to say about Mario:

Quote:
"I love him," Strahan said. "Who doesn't want a defensive end to be the first overall pick in the draft? I've had a chance to [talk to him]. I told him a little bit after he was drafted [and] text messaged him a few times. He's a good player. He's big, he's strong, he's fast, and he's got all the tools that are going to be needed for him to be successful.

"After he got that first sack in the Miami game [Oct. 1], all of a sudden this wrap came off. He was able to play a little bit looser; he was able to enjoy the game a little bit more without all that pressure that everybody's putting on him. I know from experience that playing defensive end is like running back. ... You can put a running back into any offense and he can kind of make something happen. But at defensive lineman it is not so easy. I applaud Mario for the way that he's handled it."
Full article:
http://www.courant.com/sports/footba...lines-football
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006   #6
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

i think this might be the right the right thread to give my pet peeve of strahan: great player- annoying as hell though....anytime i see him on nfl films he's shouting something dumb to his teammates on the sideline like 'calm down' when they're already sitting down drinking gatorade.. i just feel like punching him and saying stfu you *****.. anyway /end rant i guess
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006   #7
brewhaus
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by djready711 View Post
Giants fan here, I don't know if you guys will be able to contain the big guy, Strahan, but it is quite possible. If Osi is unable to play, your offense can double up on Strahan the whole time and take your chances with a 1 on 1 with our rookie, Kiwinuka. The only thing is, Mathias isn't no chump either and he can cause some problems of his own.

I'd like to see Strahan get multiple sacks though and break the record at home. Until he gets at least 10 more sacks though, he will have not truely broke the record in my eyes, it still belongs to LT because of his 9.5 sacks that went unrecorded in his rookie year.

By the way, I think Super Mario is going to be an outstanding pass rusher for you guys in the years to come, he is full of potential and seems to have a good head on his shoulders.
I don't think there are any chumps on the Giants line. Why is Osi questionable?
Sponsored links
Old 11-04-2006   #8
djready711
Rookie

Quote:
I don't think there are any chumps on the Giants line. Why is Osi questionable?
He's still feeling the effects of that strained hip flexor he got in the Dallas game. He hasn't practiced yet and is listed as questionable.
Old 11-04-2006   #9
brewhaus
All Pro

Quote:
He's still feeling the effects of that strained hip flexor he got in the Dallas game. He hasn't practiced yet and is listed as questionable.
If he doesn't play, that is going to mess up my prediction from earlier in the week. I had Burress and Brandon Jacobs scoring 2 TDs each.
Old 11-04-2006   #10
djready711
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84 View Post
I'll give it to Strahan, classy guy. Had some good things to say about Mario:
Yeah, I liked to see Strahan, Tiki, and Tooomer get a ring this year, they've done so much for the Giants organization and it would be nice to see them win it. I'm also a Giants fan, so it would be nice to see it happen every year.
Old 11-04-2006   #11
djready711
Rookie

Quote:
If he doesn't play, that is going to mess up my prediction from earlier in the week. I had Burress and Brandon Jacobs scoring 2 TDs each.
I love Jacobs, but I'd like to see Tiki get into the endzone sometime soon.
Old 11-04-2006   #12
Texas
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to Texas

Yea Strahan will get it this game...
Old 11-04-2006   #13
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

I'd like to see mario match strahan in sacks this sunday , I think that would put to rest the "mario was poor pick" argument, or at least quiet it down considerably. If by some chance he could out produce strahan, that would be even better
Old 11-04-2006   #14
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209608 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I've always like Strahan, both as a player and as a personality. It's amazing that he's already overtaking LT's record, though, because I remember when it was originally set!

Hopefully the Texans can rise up to meet this challenge. Maybe run plays away from Strahan to take him out early, not let him get into a groove.
Old 11-04-2006   #15
NYSportsfreak
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaMan21 View Post
Giants fan here

A-f'ing-men! I remember the dumbest thing I've heard of in all sports shows ever was when on Around the Horn they were talking about who the 4 reporters would take, Jason Taylor or Michael Strahan. So 3 took Taylor and I think at least 2 of them (moron Mariotti (sp?) was definately one of them) were saying how you need to be able to stop the run to play DE and that's why they're taking Taylor.
NYSportsfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006   #16
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57907 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

I would like to see them rise up too, but everybody breaks records and has career games against us and so will strahan. Plus he lived in Houston so I'll have no problem with him breaking the record against us.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006   #17
NFLforher
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bomb View Post
I would like to see them rise up too, but everybody breaks records and has career games against us and so will strahan. Plus he lived in Houston so I'll have no problem with him breaking the record against us.
I like Strahan but I'm glad he left the field.. for our sake.
NFLforher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006   #18
Koolaid Time
Drink Up!

Rep Power: 1346 Koolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah, I liked to see Strahan, Tiki, and Tooomer get a ring this year, they've done so much for the Giants organization and it would be nice to see them win it. I'm also a Giants fan, so it would be nice to see it happen every year.
Toomer is injured, along with Strahan.

What's wrong with Toomer?
Koolaid Time is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read