Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-02-2006   #1
TexanTider
Rookie

Default fumbles

I've been a Carr fan but if he drops the rock one more time I'm gonna be sick. I don't care about missed blocks, or even if Godzilla drops out of the sky unblocked....Hold on to the rock
TexanTider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006   #2
AustinJB
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 AustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVPAustinJB was voted MVP
Default Re: fumbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanTider View Post
I've been a Carr fan but if he drops the rock one more time I'm gonna be sick. I don't care about missed blocks, or even if Godzilla drops out of the sky unblocked....Hold on to the rock
I agree, and what frustrates me is that most of the hits that are forcing the fumbles don't even seem to be big hits. It seems like someone will just hit his arm or leg from the other side and the ball pops loose. He's taken bigger hits during his career than the ones he's taken this year and been able to hold on to the ball.

This makes me think that he just hasn't had the awareness of what is going on the field around him. It's like he has his head up his @$$ and doesn't realize that someone is near him, then they "touch" him and he loses the ball.:brickwall
Old 11-03-2006   #3
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Getting hit in the arms will do that more than getting pummeled on a hard hit (assuming you don't pass out or something), but no excuses because he certainly does fumble too much and I'm getting tired of it too.

That LB for Chicago (Urlacher?) gets a lot of good tackles and causes fumbles that way, but people say he doesn't hit hard enough. You see what I'm saying? He stops runners and causes fumbles. Who cares if he doesn't make popping sounds when he hits them?

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006   #4
tsip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP

"and been able to hold on to the ball."

As other posters have pointed out, Carr has had a fumbling problem his entire NFL career--62 fumbles, 65 games.:brickwall
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006   #5
phan1
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsip View Post
"and been able to hold on to the ball."

As other posters have pointed out, Carr has had a fumbling problem his entire NFL career--62 fumbles, 65 games.:brickwall
That's really alarming. Once a fumbler always a fumbler IMO. Hopefully I'm wrong. I remember some guy made a ridiculous system on grading QBs with the least mistakes. Carr was #2 on that list...
phan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006   #6
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by phan1 View Post
That's really alarming. Once a fumbler always a fumbler IMO. Hopefully I'm wrong. I remember some guy made a ridiculous system on grading QBs with the least mistakes. Carr was #2 on that list...
I'm afraid that's proving more true everyday with QBs in particular. :brickwall

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006   #7
eric138
Veteran

Rep Power: 984 eric138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respected

small hands?

Maybe he doesn't have the monkey fingers needed to wrap around the ball.
eric138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-03-2006   #8
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 102753 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

I remember the same discussions (albeit not on message boards) going on about Warren Moon - who still holds the NFL record.
Texan_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006   #9
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric138 View Post
small hands?

Maybe he doesn't have the monkey fingers needed to wrap around the ball.
Or...the person doing his manicures is leaving a residue on his hands causing him to fumble. Or maybe when he begins to sweat during a game the gel in his hair is mixed with his sweat which inturn ends up in his hands while wiping his brow.
Old 11-03-2006   #10
phan1
All Pro

I would compare the situation to Warner. Back when he manned the "greatest sho on turf", he had a great line to protect him. Ever since those 2 superbowls, he's been a turnover machine ever since. Our line might just have to simply get better to keep our fumbles down.
phan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006   #11
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I would compare the situation to Warner. Back when he manned the "greatest sho on turf", he had a great line to protect him. Ever since those 2 superbowls, he's been a turnover machine ever since. Our line might just have to simply get better to keep our fumbles down.

To me they are two independent requirements after 4 1/2 years.

1) Carr needs to be better.
2) The line needs to be better.

I'm tired of them being excuses for each other. Time to step up as individuals since we can't as a team.
Old 11-03-2006   #12
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 208669 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
To me they are two independent requirements after 4 1/2 years.

1) Carr needs to be better.
2) The line needs to be better.

I'm tired of them being excuses for each other. Time to step up as individuals since we can't as a team.
I'm siding with this sentiment. Although, I will say, I have seen far too many times where the LT just whiffs and the end comes running around and smacks Carr's arm just as he's drawing back to throw. I put very few of those type fumbles on Carr. The ones this past week were on him, even though Wiegert was letting KVB into the backfield on a regular basis.
eriadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006   #13
TexanTider
Rookie

There is no doubt that our line needs work but you can watch 50 other college quarterbacks on Saturday that have a better grasp of holding on to the ball..

Granted the pass rushers are not as good in college, but neither are the quarterbacks..
TexanTider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006   #14
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 283896 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

One would think that he'd be an expert on protecting the ball while being sacked. 200+ sacks in four seasons should have at least taught him that basic lesson.
Old 11-03-2006   #15
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
One would think that he'd be an expert on protecting the ball while being sacked. 200+ sacks in four seasons should have at least taught him that basic lesson.
Unless he's lost all feeling in his hands after having them whacked so much.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006   #16
Beer and Metal
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20683 Beer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I wonder what the fumble to sack ratio is. You'd think most of those fumbles would be sacks if he had held on to the ball.
Beer and Metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006   #17
noxiousdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 6013 noxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Warner broke his hand and hasn't been the same since.
noxiousdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006   #18
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 208669 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer and Metal View Post
I wonder what the fumble to sack ratio is. You'd think most of those fumbles would be sacks if he had held on to the ball.
I don't know the answer to this, really, but it piqued my interest enough to go look up a few things. First off, Carr's lost 20 of the 62 fumbles. He's been sacked 228 times. I'm not sure how many of those sacks also resulted in fumbles, but there's definitely some overlap.

I was havin a hard time thinking of any QBs that played behind poor offensive lines and had any success, but there were a couple QBs that played behind some poor teams that had success later in their career. In today's ADHD world, those QBs wouldn't likely be given that shot anymore, but neverhteless ...

Randall Cunningham - His first five years as a starter for the Eagles, he endured 277 sacks and fumbled 57 times. He fumbled only 45 times over the next 10 years of his career.

John Elway - 1990 to 1994 was the worst stretch of Elway's career, with regards to sacks. He was sacked 209 times and fumbled 51 times.

I'm not sure what was going on with their teams during that span, but the rest of their careers turned out OK. I'm not sure too many QBs could have been on this Texans team from 2002 to present, coming in as a rookie, and done any better with the coaching and surrounding team during that time.

This is not intended to exonerate Carr in any way; I'm just saying, maybe there's some hope. Regardless who is at QB back there, they're going to need better protection that what this team has been offering for going on five years now.
eriadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006   #19
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I don't know the answer to this, really, but it piqued my interest enough to go look up a few things. First off, Carr's lost 20 of the 62 fumbles. He's been sacked 228 times. I'm not sure how many of those sacks also resulted in fumbles, but there's definitely some overlap.

I was havin a hard time thinking of any QBs that played behind poor offensive lines and had any success, but there were a couple QBs that played behind some poor teams that had success later in their career. In today's ADHD world, those QBs wouldn't likely be given that shot anymore, but neverhteless ...

Randall Cunningham - His first five years as a starter for the Eagles, he endured 277 sacks and fumbled 57 times. He fumbled only 45 times over the next 10 years of his career.

John Elway - 1990 to 1994 was the worst stretch of Elway's career, with regards to sacks. He was sacked 209 times and fumbled 51 times.

I'm not sure what was going on with their teams during that span, but the rest of their careers turned out OK. I'm not sure too many QBs could have been on this Texans team from 2002 to present, coming in as a rookie, and done any better with the coaching and surrounding team during that time.

This is not intended to exonerate Carr in any way; I'm just saying, maybe there's some hope. Regardless who is at QB back there, they're going to need better protection that what this team has been offering for going on five years now.
It didnt matter who the QB was the first 3 years.

The line steadily gets better but it is still at the bottom of the league.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006   #20
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP

Quote:
Maybe he is an expert. How many of those 200 + sacks led to fumbles? Maybe that is what we should look at.

Last edited by Meloy; 11-03-2006 at 02:53 PM. Reason: SHould have read another post down. Woops!
Meloy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read