Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-02-2006   #1
TexansAllTheWayBaby
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 TexansAllTheWayBaby is a Pro BowlerTexansAllTheWayBaby is a Pro Bowler
Send a message via AIM to TexansAllTheWayBaby
Arrow My Keys to Success: vs. New York

Our Houston Texans will face a tremendous challenge this upcoming Sunday as we will head to the Meadowlands in New York to do battle with the 5-2 Giants.

I feel this is an important game for our Texans after last week's not so great performance versus Tennessee, this is a chance for our men to bounce back, see how we respond and see what kind of a team we are at this point in the season as we face a very tough Giants squad.

The following is what I believe our Texans must do in order to have success and get the upset win Sunday in New York...

-Reduce turnovers. We seen a perfect example of how turnovers can simply kill you in our last game when we played Tennessee. Turnovers can cancel out a solid running game as ween last week, as Wali Lundy had well over 100 yards and it had a lesser impact due to our 5 tunovers. You can't turn the ball over on the road to give yourself much of a chance, espically when going up against a very tough team like the Giants. I look for our Texans to protect the ball better this week, and this will certianly help us out alot.

-On defense, pressure Eli Manning. Eli Manning is a great QB in this league already. He is in his 3rd season so he is still young, and tends to get rattled when you get some heat on him. If you sit back as a defense, he will no doubt pick you apart, the good QB he is. We need to apply some pressure to him early, and try to get him uncomfortable in the pocket, try not to let him get to relaxed.

-Solid Special Teams. This seems simple and obvious, but after last week, we seen our Texans can struggle some in this department. It's basically just fundamentals really, Edell Sheppard made a mistake by fair catching the ball on a punt at the 3 yard line, ad he lost some of his confidence with that according to our coaches, so we'll bring in David Anderson who had some nice returns last week to do our punt returns, and leave Sheppard at kick returns for now, a good move. We also need to get off blocks better on punt returns and not let them break one like Pacman did on us last week. I think we will have a better special teams game vs Gaints, we can't afford not to.

Again, this will be an important game for our Texans. Like I said above, this is because we are going to see how we bounce back after a not so hot performance last week with Tennessee, and we are going to see, overall, where we stand as a team as we go up against one of the best in the leauge right now in their house. Earlier in the year, we really couldn't even hang with the big dogs, let's see how far we have come since.

Cheer us on Sunday fans whether in New York or at home, at the local bar, listening on the radio, whatever, continue to support our Texans!

GO TEXANS!
Old 11-02-2006   #2
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: My Keys to Success: vs. New York

Reduce turnovers--shouldn't be too hard to do after we had 5 last Sunday. We'll probably get 3 or 4 this week.

Pressure Manning--good luck. Yeah, we'll get just enough pressure to make us think we might have a slim chance in this game, until the 3rd quarter, where we will be demolished.

Solid Special Teams--I don't see this as a big difference maker anyway, but we'll probably get beaten a little in this area too.

What's worse is I gotta feeling Lundy is gonna get shut down in the running game. That happens and we're in for some unforgettable embarrassment.

We need OUR defense to get some turnovers in this game and it ain't gonna happen.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006   #3
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

If we do somehow manage to win this game, we should all be aware that we have officially gone from "we suck" to a "rollercoaster ride" kind of team. I'm not sure which is more frustrating.

Old 11-02-2006   #4
Texas
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to Texas

We wont win unless our Defense really pumps it up..I beleive they will get the O hype if they just show up to impress
Old 11-02-2006   #5
NYSportsfreak
Rookie

Quote:
-On defense, pressure Eli Manning. Eli Manning is a great QB in this league already. He is in his 3rd season so he is still young, and tends to get rattled when you get some heat on him. If you sit back as a defense, he will no doubt pick you apart, the good QB he is. We need to apply some pressure to him early, and try to get him uncomfortable in the pocket, try not to let him get to relaxed.
I HATE this misconception. The guy that made the preview of the game for the website, it's not you is it? That guy said the same thing. Eli was sacked 8 times and pressured repeatedly against the Eagles this year but managed to remain calm and come back from 17 down in the 4th quarter to win the game in OT. There were some injuries in that game to the Eagles' secondary but he wasn't shell shocked and didn't give up. Also I remember seeing a stat where he has a great QB rating against the blitz. The minus here is, sometimes Eli looks shaky without pressure, the guy is still incredibly inconsistent.
NYSportsfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006   #6
HJam72
Hall of Fame

I'm sure we can manage to not get too much pressure on him, lol.

Old 11-02-2006   #7
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 140 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
Reduce turnovers--shouldn't be too hard to do after we had 5 last Sunday. We'll probably get 3 or 4 this week.

Pressure Manning--good luck. Yeah, we'll get just enough pressure to make us think we might have a slim chance in this game, until the 3rd quarter, where we will be demolished.

Solid Special Teams--I don't see this as a big difference maker anyway, but we'll probably get beaten a little in this area too.

What's worse is I gotta feeling Lundy is gonna get shut down in the running game. That happens and we're in for some unforgettable embarrassment.

We need OUR defense to get some turnovers in this game and it ain't gonna happen.
Your right Adam PacMan Jone's Punt return for a touchdown didnt have any effect on the games outcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-02-2006   #8
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbajwp View Post
Your right Adam PacMan Jone's Punt return for a touchdown didnt have any effect on the games outcome.
I was referring only to the Giants game, but the truth is I don't know what they've got on special teams anyway. Probably shoulda just left that part out.

Old 11-02-2006   #9
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 140 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I was referring only to the Giants game, but the truth is I don't know what they've got on special teams anyway. Probably shoulda just left that part out.
No worries. I was just picking on you.

Quote:
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Old 11-02-2006   #10
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Couldnt help my self you left it open.

Quote:
Old 11-02-2006   #11
TeaMan21
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSportsfreak View Post
I HATE this misconception. The guy that made the preview of the game for the website, it's not you is it? That guy said the same thing. Eli was sacked 8 times and pressured repeatedly against the Eagles this year but managed to remain calm and come back from 17 down in the 4th quarter to win the game in OT. There were some injuries in that game to the Eagles' secondary but he wasn't shell shocked and didn't give up. Also I remember seeing a stat where he has a great QB rating against the blitz. The minus here is, sometimes Eli looks shaky without pressure, the guy is still incredibly inconsistent.
Yeah, Eli's weird, he's good under fire or when the game's on the line, but take off the pressure and give him time and he'll over think things and make bad decisions.
TeaMan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006   #12
phan1
All Pro

We need a crap load of luck, that's what we need. Honestly, there are about 28 other teams I'd definitely rather be playing against than the Giants. This is just a bad matchup for us IMO.
phan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006   #13
gwallaia

Rep Power: 59793 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansAllTheWayBaby View Post
....simple and obvious....

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006   #14
Hookem Horns
The Bill Payer

Rep Power: 75780 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaMan21 View Post
Yeah, Eli's weird, he's good under fire or when the game's on the line, but take off the pressure and give him time and he'll over think things and make bad decisions.
Better that way then the other way around. We had a guy in Houston for years that was opposite of that by the name of Warren Moon.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006   #15
TeaMan21
Rookie

Quote:
Giants special teams are pretty good on coverage. David Tyree went to the pro bowl last year as a special teams ace, and Jeff Feagles is a great Punter, at 41 he's not got the power he used to have but he's great at dropping the ball inside the 20 and he doesn't give up big returns. Our return game is pedestrian at best. safe but unspectacular. Chad Morton is reliable but he's not looked dangerous. Feely's a good kicker inside the 40, not so reliable at the long kicks but he's got good power on kick-offs. Remember the winds swirl a lot at Giants stadium which can have an impact. Though We're not expecting last weeks 25-30mph gusting up to 50mph and swirling all over. that was just crazy!
TeaMan21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read