Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-01-2006   #1
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Winston?

Whats the word on Winston these days? With the problems at our tackles is Winston ready to step up and play or is he still not quite ready?

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006   #2
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Winston?

Supposedly there is some talk of moving Tyrannosaurus Eric to Guard. I think we should draft a Tackle in the first round next year either way. This never-ending line issue has got to be resolved one of these years.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006   #3
wenskek
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Supposedly there is some talk of moving Tyrannosaurus Eric to Guard. I think we should draft a Tackle in the first round next year either way. This never-ending line issue has got to be resolved one of these years.
i agree, lets draft Joe Thomas out of Wisconsin

wenskek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006   #4
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe if we'd stop moving our LTs to guard or cutting them when they are one of our two best LTs we wouldn't constantly need to draft one so badly. I still can't believe they cut Seth Wand and kept Salaam.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006   #5
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15340 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
Maybe if we'd stop moving our LTs to guard or cutting them when they are one of our two best LTs we wouldn't constantly need to draft one so badly. I still can't believe they cut Seth Wand and kept Salaam.
Although I believe we should have Wand on the roster instead of Bedell, do you honestly believe if we had Wand starting that OT wouldn't be a weakness on this team?
Old 11-01-2006   #6
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by wenskek View Post
i agree, lets draft Joe Thomas out of Wisconsin
What's with all the knee-brace gear ? Oh that's right, if memory serves, I'm
thinking he blew a knee out in the bowl game his team was in at the end of the 2005 season ? So that's one knee, how come the other one is also
screwed-up ? Maybe we should invest our first round pick in a guy who's not
among the walking wounded ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006   #7
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 72472 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
Although I believe we should have Wand on the roster instead of Bedell, do you honestly believe if we had Wand starting that OT wouldn't be a weakness on this team?
It wouldn't be a weakness on his side. We need 2 starters though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
thinking he blew a knee out in the bowl game his team was in at the end of the 2005 season ? So that's one knee, how come the other one is also
I've noticed some college teams have knee braces on both knees of all their lineman, injury history or not. I don't know about Wisconsin specifically though.
Old 11-02-2006   #8
Reddevil63
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Reddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotReddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to Reddevil63 Send a message via Yahoo to Reddevil63

Quote:
Most linemen use braces on both knees to help prevent injuries, make it a point to look at the linemen this weekend, particularly college teams.
Old 11-02-2006   #9
hot pickle
Canada Eh

Rep Power: 2075 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

they also wear them on both so the one knee isnt a big target, if they wear it on the one thats weak, players are gonna go after it, and with two the Defense has to think about wich one is injured
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006   #10
Chance_C
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4104 Chance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respected

looks to me like the guy he is blocking has the same thing on
Old 11-02-2006   #11
real

Quote:
I played OL...LT....in college.....

My OL coach, required that we wear knee braces...on both knees.....everbody....
Old 11-02-2006   #12
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddevil63 View Post
Most linemen use braces on both knees to help prevent injuries, make it a point to look at the linemen this weekend, particularly college teams.

I honestly don't think that has anything to do with it....
Old 11-02-2006   #13
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
That is why I was an advocate of us taking Ferguson. Hopefully when the dust settles in April, we will have a shot at a guy of his caliber.
Old 11-02-2006   #14
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddevil63 View Post
Did not know that ? I don't watch that much college ball, primarily NFL ball.
Do many pro teams have this practice and if not why are they different than
the college teams ?
I don't recall seeing braces on any Texan lineman, except perhaps Winston but assumed his was related to the knee injury he had back in 2004 ?
So you're saying this is primarily preventative. You knew Thomas did have
a knee injury at the end of last year, and probably would have come out at the end of 2005 had it not been for the knee injury ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006   #15
TexanFanInCC
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to TexanFanInCC Send a message via Yahoo to TexanFanInCC

I have watched Winston closely whenever he gets in the game. He looks like a typical zone-blocking tackle. His pass protection has been very solid as well. I think the thing i like most is that he is from the U, so you know he has a mean streak!

ehh okay bad joke...
Old 11-02-2006   #16
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 11734 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanFanInCC View Post
I have watched Winston closely whenever he gets in the game. He looks like a typical zone-blocking tackle. His pass protection has been very solid as well. I think the thing i like most is that he is from the U, so you know he has a mean streak!

ehh okay bad joke...
i thought he looked like crap this last game.
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006   #17
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123107 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Winston doesnt look like he is near being ready to start a game.

He is still too slow moving side to side & he has to prove to me that he can read blitzes better than he did at Miami.

He rarely got beat by DEs in college but LBs would just run right around him or underneath him.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006   #18
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbeth View Post
i thought he looked like crap this last game.
I paid attention to him for 3 plays right after Sallaam left and he seemed to do a pretty fair job. Can't say I paid any attention after that, but for about 3 plays....looked solid, not dominating, but "OK".

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006   #19
DeclanJr
Rookie

Winston did fine, but he isn't the answer. If the coaches were that confident he was NFL ready, he would have been in by now. Hopefully some time in the weight room and some experience this year will help him grow. I'm writing off this year as far as wins are concerned...
DeclanJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006   #20
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
It would still be a problem, but it wouldn't be nearly as bad. It might even be better than Spencer did (maybe), but he's a rookie so nothing against him. Salaam is useless. At least Wand would be out there getting the job done adequately most of the time, but not always.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read