Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 11-01-2006   #1
SBTexans08
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to SBTexans08
Default How about Michael Turner for the Texans?

Hypothetically, say we have a shot at Adrian Peterson in the draft....but Michael Turner (F.A. this season) wants out (with good reason) of S.D. The Texans call him in....we see eye to eye...

Would you prefer Adrian Peterson or a Micahel Turner?

Personally...I'd like a Michael Turner. How about you?
Old 11-01-2006   #2
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man
Default Re: How about Michael Turner for the Texans?

The question is what do we have to give up?

Turner is a RFA.

1st round pick: No way
2nd round pick: Have to think about it.
3rd round pick: Same as above/ but probably yes
4th or lower: Yes
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006   #3
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBTexans08 View Post
Hypothetically, say we have a shot at Adrian Peterson in the draft....but Michael Turner (F.A. this season) wants out (with good reason) of S.D. The Texans call him in....we see eye to eye...

Would you prefer Adrian Peterson or a Micahel Turner?

Personally...I'd like a Michael Turner. How about you?
Pet peeve:

..."a" Michael Turner? What is "a" Michael Turner?

But yeah, he'd be a nice fit...for the right price. Nothing higher than a 3rd rounder.
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006   #4
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 85708 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge View Post
Nothing higher than a 3rd rounder. Fragment (consider revising)
Sorry, I had to do it!!!
michaelm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006   #5
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 140 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

I choose Wali Lundy.

For Now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006   #6
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7874 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Wouldn't use our first round pick on a running back in the next draft after seeing how Wali has been performing. If anything we need to use it on the best OL available at our pick or a ballhawking FS in the Ed Reed mold. Although I dont know how good the draft is in the FS department this upcoming year.
Old 11-01-2006   #7
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

No way. No to both of those guys. Spend money on the line and the team will be much better. Spend first day picks where we need them, tackles, a FS, and a CB. QB, RB, and BPA with second day picks.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-01-2006   #8
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 20333 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Nah, if wali gets atleast 90 yards against the Gianta, then we should keep him and instead get a FS or CB.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006   #9
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 140 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

We should start chanting Wali Wali Wali at home games that would be awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006   #10
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

No, too much to give up. We keep the running backs we have unless we want to trade Gado or Dayne. We can obviously get a back in the draft this year, we can get one late(Lundy 6th).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
No way. No to both of those guys. Spend money on the line and the team will be much better. Spend first day picks where we need them, tackles, a FS, and a CB. QB, RB, and BPA with second day picks.
I agree. First round we need a skill defensive player (S, CB, LB) or a lineman on offense, preferably a tackle. We could use a first round guard but at this point we need a tackle more. I think Winston is going to end up being a swing tackle for a few years so we need to draft another tackle or two in the next draft as well. I bet somehow we deal for another 3rd round pick in this draft and do something similiar to last year. We need to draft ALOT of players to fit this new style we have acquired.

I think we need to draft defense with our first round this year because in our division we have to have a good defense, and I think if we draft defense now we can easily have the best defense in the division, and a young one at that. If we drafted defense with our first two picks this year, i think it would be a great move (assuming they play the role we draft them to). We would have to draft lineman with our 3rd or 4th pick. But like I said, we should definantly, at the end of the season, think about dealing players that we don't want to get a 3rd or 4th round draft pick.

Last edited by TexansSeminole; 11-01-2006 at 10:58 PM.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006   #11
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1965 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

My understanding is the team that hold the rites get a draft pick back equal to the round the player was selected. Turner was selected in the 5th round, and maybe worth that and a big time deal. But I do not see the Kubiak run team spending huge money on a FA RB, a LB or a CB yes.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006   #12
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 275769 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
My understanding is the team that hold the rites get a draft pick back equal to the round the player was selected. Turner was selected in the 5th round, and maybe worth that and a big time deal. But I do not see the Kubiak run team spending huge money on a FA RB, a LB or a CB yes.
There are 4 possibilities with an RFA. (1) don't make a qualifying offer to him and he becomes an UFA and the team gets no compensation, (2) make a low tender--if the player gets an offer from another team the current team can match or refuse, if they refuse they get a pick in the same round as the original pick, (3) make a mid tender--refuse to match and get a 1st round pick or (4) make a high tender--refuse to match and get 1st and 3rd round picks. Particularly in the case of high tenders, players and other teams will agree on a contract but not sign it and then go to the current team and negotiate something less than a 1st and 3rd. If it was just an issue of a 5th round pick, we and 9 other teams would be lined up to pay the price.
Old 11-02-2006   #13
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
There are 4 possibilities with an RFA. (1) don't make a qualifying offer to him and he becomes an UFA and the team gets no compensation, (2) make a low tender--if the player gets an offer from another team the current team can match or refuse, if they refuse they get a pick in the same round as the original pick, (3) make a mid tender--refuse to match and get a 1st round pick or (4) make a high tender--refuse to match and get 1st and 3rd round picks. Particularly in the case of high tenders, players and other teams will agree on a contract but not sign it and then go to the current team and negotiate something less than a 1st and 3rd. If it was just an issue of a 5th round pick, we and 9 other teams would be lined up to pay the price.
And Turner will very likely get AT LEAST the mid-tender and would cost a 1st. Good player IMO, but I doubt he is worth our high #1 and certainly not worth that and our 3rd. About the only thing that might help out is that Turner supposidly wants out of San Diego, so maybe a lesser deal could be worked out. Our second will be pretty close to a 1st round value and might do it. Still not sure I would do it, but I would at least look at that one.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006   #14
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 20333 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Trade a 3rd and Ron Fat Dayne, or some other player. Maybe a 3rd and 4th plus Dayne.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006   #15
canadiantexan
Veteran

Too many other holes to take a running back in the first or give up a first rounder for one. Especially if lundy continues to carry the rock like he has the last two weeks.
I think their are some other good backs in the second, third and fourth round who would fit our system and could potenially thirve in it.
What do you guys think of someone like Hart from Michigan, He could be a real steal if we get him in the right round. He has good speed, great vision and even though he is considered small he runs with power. Just curious what round would you guys consider taking him.
canadiantexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006   #16
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

still tryin to figure out why this thread is in the college/draft forum.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006   #17
canadiantexan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post
still tryin to figure out why this thread is in the college/draft forum.
I guess because it's about the college draft. LOL
Old 11-04-2006   #18
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiantexan View Post
Too many other holes to take a running back in the first or give up a first rounder for one. Especially if lundy continues to carry the rock like he has the last two weeks.
I think their are some other good backs in the second, third and fourth round who would fit our system and could potenially thirve in it.
What do you guys think of someone like Hart from Michigan, He could be a real steal if we get him in the right round. He has good speed, great vision and even though he is considered small he runs with power. Just curious what round would you guys consider taking him.
I think Mike Hart is great.

He is probably gonna stay his senior season tho if Peterson & Lynch come out early.

Some scouts think he is too small but then again, they said Reggie Bush wasnt too small...
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006   #19
canadiantexan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I think Mike Hart is great.

He is probably gonna stay his senior season tho if Peterson & Lynch come out early.

Some scouts think he is too small but then again, they said Reggie Bush wasnt too small...
Yeah I think he will stay in school also but I'd love to have him
Old 11-04-2006   #20
Roughnecks
Veteran

Rep Power: 90 Roughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respected

I would like to see how Lundy plays out if he keeps doning that thing he be doing than no to both. If I had to choose it would be AP one he runs like Earl C. "the Houston back" and plus he is from Houston as well. I can see him making his own lanes to run through and maybe Lane from A&M in the late rounds for the goal line he would be a upgrade coming out of college over where Dayne is now. I'm not saying 4th round maybe 6th or 7th if the Steelers did not pick him up because he looks like the bus.
Roughnecks is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read