Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 11-01-2006   #1
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man
Default Ja Marcus Russell?

The QB for LSU.

Does anyone know anything about him?

He is a big kid 6'6" and has some good stats. He is a Junior but no one lists him in the QB prospects. Is it because he isn't that good or they know that he is already committed to returning to LSU next year?

Thanks
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006   #2
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1726 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ja Marcus Russell?

I list him when talking about top QB's. I consider him an athletic freak and a stud player. Some disagree, but thats ok. He has what I consider the best arm in all of football. He's not getting much mention because he isn't ready just yet for the NFL. He will need to return to LSU next year for sure. But, if anything lets you know that he is a stud, let it be that he is keeping Ryan Peroliux on the bench. Peroliux was the second coming of VY with better running ability. He's supposed to be like Vick, Young, and Culpepper combined physically. I'd draft Russell though if I had the chance.
Old 11-01-2006   #3
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

the pure athletic ability alone warrants a look, but i wouldn't invest a first day pick on him. he's just too inconsistent and makes poor decisions when it matters most. he needs to stay another year; LSU probably has the most talented team going into next year.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006   #4
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1726 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post
the pure athletic ability alone warrants a look, but i wouldn't invest a first day pick on him. he's just too inconsistent and makes poor decisions when it matters most. he needs to stay another year; LSU probably has the most talented team going into next year.
I agree. He makes some questionable decisions at times. In this draft class with many top talent QB's, he would probally go in the 3rd round basicly on athletic ability and potential alone. He needs another year at LSU and LSU's team is looking VERY good for next year.
Old 11-01-2006   #5
TexansCanes
All Pro

he has made some major strides this year and has become more consistent, but i want him to and i think he needs another year. he just hasn't showed he can win a big game yet. the loses this year weren't necessarily his fault but he wasn't able to take the game over and win it. he still has the tendency to force something and not let the game come to him (his first int against UF). if he came out i think he would probably go in the 2nd for his arm alone but a great year next year could really move him up especially if some the juniors come out this year.
Old 12-11-2006   #6
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man

Now if this kid declares for the draft now, are you even interested in him? and when would you take him?

I am.

When I don't know, have heard his stock is rising (2nd round?)
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006   #7
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I watch a TON of SEC football....and I think he is a top 20 pick for sure...may be a top ten pick after all the film is broken down and people grasp his cannon and his intelligence to go along with it. I'd love to have him as his coaches think he is smart enough to be a coach if he wanted to pursue it. He can chunk the ball the length of the field and can move well enough even though he is massive and a physical freak. He reminds me of a larger Rothlisberger with a better arm and is a bit like Cullpepper except I think he has more upside. His game translates to the NFL in a big way.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-11-2006   #8
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 322585 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansCanes View Post
the loses this year weren't necessarily his fault but he wasn't able to take the game over and win it.
Should fit in pretty well here in Houston.
Old 12-11-2006   #9
Titan "Tack" Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 44 Titan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respected

I had a class with him last semester. He's definitely bigger than 6'6. He's 6'7 pushing 6'8. He is one of the most physically impressive people I've seen in person.
Old 12-11-2006   #10
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

This is why I think if we don't get Peterson or something we need to trade our pick and get multiple picks in the first round.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006   #11
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan "Tack" Fan View Post
I had a class with him last semester. He's definitely bigger than 6'6. He's 6'7 pushing 6'8. He is one of the most physically impressive people I've seen in person.
if he was 6'7, LSU would say he was 6'8.
Old 12-11-2006   #12
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I watch a TON of SEC football....and I think he is a top 20 pick for sure...may be a top ten pick after all the film is broken down and people grasp his cannon and his intelligence to go along with it. I'd love to have him as his coaches think he is smart enough to be a coach if he wanted to pursue it. He can chunk the ball the length of the field and can move well enough even though he is massive and a physical freak. He reminds me of a larger Rothlisberger with a better arm and is a bit like Cullpepper except I think he has more upside. His game translates to the NFL in a big way.
I don't get to watch all that much during the actual season, but will get a chance to watch a lot more after the all star games...but, Vinny, how do you rate his pocket presence. Can he feel a rush coming? Does he force a throw? Does he understand a checkdown? Does he constantly drift back in the pocket like Carr? Is he willing to step up even when the pocket is collapsing? When I watch LSU play, I haven't been focusing on him too much because I didn't think he would enter. Thanks anyone who can honestly help.
Old 12-11-2006   #13
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

He plays nothing like Carr. He takes chances and sometimes he tries to fit the ball in too tight a window (he has a couple of 3 INT games)....the opposite of Carr, who doesn't throw the ball unless the wr is wide open or underneath coverage. Carr throws a good deep ball but what is missing from his skill set is a quality intermediate throw in the middle of the field. Russell has no issues with this pass other than needing a year or so to groom (imo). I think he moves and slides in the pocket very well and although he isn't a scrambler, he buys time well (the reason I threw in the Rothlisberger reference).

Old 12-11-2006   #14
Titan "Tack" Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 44 Titan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
if he was 6'7, LSU would say he was 6'8.
No they wouldn't, QBs are usually listed smaller than they are.
Old 12-11-2006   #15
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
I don't know about that...but I do know that being over 6'8" isn't a positive trait projecting a QB to the NFL....I don't think there has ever been a great QB that tall.

Old 12-11-2006   #16
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

Daunte Culpepper clone.

Problem is, you're going to have to take the good with the bad. Russell needs another season in college. He's not ready for the big time just yet. His best bet is to go late in the 1st so he can join an established team that has a veteran QB that will need to be replaced in a couple of years.
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006   #17
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Quote:
no, no they aren't. no player is. ever. russell is not 6'7 or 6'8, sorry.

also, with possible combine and individual workouts to impress people, and only one true first-rounder QB in this draft, don't be shocked to see someone reach BIG on russell. top 10 possibility.
Old 12-11-2006   #18
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
also, with possible combine and individual workouts to impress people, and only one true first-rounder QB in this draft, don't be shocked to see someone reach BIG on russell. top 10 possibility.
please define true first-rounder QB

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006   #19
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
no, no they aren't. no player is. ever. russell is not 6'7 or 6'8, sorry.

He is every bit the prospect Rothlisburger or Lefty, or Cullpepper was....and this isn't as good a draft as last year...so I wouldn't consider it a reach at all.

Old 12-11-2006   #20
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

not to mention a couple QB's taken recently in the 11-15 range have done pretty good. right now in a trade down scenero Marcus Russell or Troy Smith are viable targets for the Texans to evaluate.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read