Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-31-2006   #1
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 70559 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Tackle: possible solution?

I was never a huge fan of CPitts as a LT but I think we are to the point where he makes sense. If Winston can't handle the LT position over the next couple weeks, I think moving Pitts to LT and giving Winston some time at guard makes a lot of sense. It sounds like Kubiak and company believe that he will end up there anyway. Either that, or re-sign Wand. Weigert and Salaam just don't cut it.

I'm sure the position will be further adressed this offseason and we're likely to have Spencer back next year as well. However, I would hate to regress at other areas, like QB, because we stubbornly keep Pitts at guard because that's where they want him next year.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006   #2
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 41385 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Tackle: possible solution?

I don't think it would happen because Kubiak has stated in the past that he plays the players at the position that they do best, so I would only see Pitts going to LT if there was some major injuries on this team and he was the only option. I think he will start rotating Winston & Salaam on a regular basis to give Salaam a rest and Winston some much needed experience.
Old 10-31-2006   #3
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104914 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

I am not impressed with what I have seen from Winston.

He was overly hyped in college just cuz he was a good player at the U.

I cringed when this draft pick was announced.

From what I hear he has bad technique, isnt strong enough to play LT, & is overall not a very smart football player.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006   #4
yourfavoritetexan42
Veteran

Give Winston his chance. If he comes through...than good we don't have to worry about tackles for next season, for we will have Winston and Spencer. If he doesn't, then we must address a big name from free agency or the draft at tackle.

The only keepers I see on our o line who should start next season:

Flanagan at center
Pitts at Guard
Spencer at Tackle

get rid of the rest, minus winston who hasn't had a chance yet.
yourfavoritetexan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006   #5
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Since it is Halloween, I will provide my theory that the LT position is cursed with the Houston Texans, ever since they tried to get Boselli in there. Riley, Pitts, Boselli, Wand, Salaam, Bedell, and now Spencer and Winston have all played left tackle, and none of them have stuck. If the Texans had drafted D'Brickashaw, something would have happened by now. Either he wouldn't be up to caliber, injured, whatever.

Personally, I'm for bringing back Wand or putting Pitts in the position. If the Texans truly are alternating Pitts, Weary, and McKinney as the guards, the Texans can afford to put Pitts back in there. I am still under the assumption that if all tackles were killed in a freak halloween accident, Kubiak would still look for someone besides Wand to play. Makes no sense to me, but what can you do? I would have liked an explanation for what Kubiak doesn't see in him.

Last edited by Texans Horror; 10-31-2006 at 03:11 PM.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006   #6
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 152103 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Don't weaken a stronger position to make a weak position slightly stronger - if that makes anysense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006   #7
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 63719 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCROD View Post
Don't weaken a stronger position to make a weak position slightly stronger - if that makes anysense.
Or put your best line out there. If LT/LG Pitts/Weary is stronger than Salaam/Pitts play them (assuming McKinney really is starter quality at RG).

I haven't watched Pitts very closely - have they been rotating him in and out of the game again, or was that just in the second game of the season?
Old 10-31-2006   #8
Rex King
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 Rex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVP

What tells me this isn't going to happen is Kubiak playing Bedell at LT. He has shown some flexibility with personnel/positions (but not with regard to Wand), but it seems he's pretty set on keeping Pitts at G. I also see Winston getting more PT at tackle.
Rex King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006   #9
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Pitts has been extremely quiet this year, thus meaning he's having a great year.
Keep him at left guard.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006   #10
NRowl
Rookie

What is the specifics of Spencer's injury?

Thanks for any insight.
NRowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006   #11
brewhaus
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84 View Post
Pitts has been extremely quiet this year, thus meaning he's having a great year.
Keep him at left guard.
I agree 84, Chester needs to stay at guard. Maybe the tackles we have can attend some of the inspirational motivation classes our quarterback is currently attending.
Old 10-31-2006   #12
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 291737 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavoritetexan42 View Post
The only keepers I see on our o line who should start next season:

Flanagan at center
I was actually happy to see McKinney at center for a little while there.....

Why do you think we should bring Flannagan back as a center??
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006   #13
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Wand is the answer, but it will never happen. How many times has he been injured? The man played his heart out for us despite what some think.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read