Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-31-2006   #1
kubs-elway
Rookie

Default Free Agent LB--News and Notes

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW...ispers2117.htm

LB Lance Briggs is essentially playing his final games as a Chicago Bear. We’re told there’s no way the Bears can afford to keep their Pro Bowl weak-side ’backer with rising stars like DT Tommie Harris also nearing the end of their contracts. Briggs is in the midst of a third straight solid season and will almost certainly attract monster offers in free agency.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/footb...exans/home.htm

NOTES, QUOTES
—Andre Johnson entered the game leading the league in catches and yards. He had nine more receptions for 78 yards and a touchdown. But a drop bothered him the most.

Sage Rosenfels ' pass bounced off Johnson and into the hands of cornerback Pacman Jones to set up a touchdown that gave the Titans a 21-3 lead in the third quarter.

"The ball kind of snuck up on me, but Sage made a hell of a throw," Johnson said. "I just didn't make the play. I let the ball get into my body, and when it hit me, it bounced right into Pacman's hands.

"That was a big turning point. Those are the kind of plays that separate the good receivers from the great ones."

Johnson later made a leaping catch on a 10-yard touchdown to help fuel a comeback that came up short.

—Titans defensive tackle Robaire Smith, who was cut by the Texans at the end of training camp, was excited to face former teammates. He finished the game with four tackles and half a sack.

"It feels good to win today, and it wasn't anything personal against my former team," Smith said. "Of course, I can't lie and say I wasn't happy we won against the Texans. I'm happy I won against my old team, but I'm proud because all those guys on the Titans were out there fighting for me."

—Although the defense didn't force a turnover, it allowed only 197 yards, second-fewest in history.

"You have to get turnovers," cornerback Dunta Robinson said. "That's what they (Titans) did. They gave their offense a short field a couple of times, and we didn't do that.

"With all the good things we did, we still didn't get the ball out. You have to force some turnovers, especially against a rookie quarterback (Vince Young)."

PLAYER NOTES

—TE Mark Bruener caught another reception against the Titans. He now has four receptions this season — two of which he caught in the end zone.

—WR David Anderson entered in the second half to return kicks. He had three returns for 30 yards. His longest was for 38 yards.

—LB Morlon Greenwood led the Texans with seven tackles on defense.

—WR Edell Shepherd had one punt return for 14 yards. He is having a difficult time learning when to fair catch a ball and when to let it sail into the end zone.

—TE Jeb Putzier (ankle) is hopeful to start practicing this week.

STRATEGY AND PERSONNEL

REPORT CARD VS. TITANS

PASSING OFFENSE: C — Sage Rosenfels put in a nearly flawless second half, while David Carr struggled in the first half. Carr threw one poor interception to Andre Johnson while he was surrounded by four defenders. Carr was also sacked four times and fumbled the ball on two of those sacks. Rosenfels came in and ran the offense with ease in the second half. He threw one interception, which was Johnson's fault. Rosenfels also threw three touchdown passes, including two to rookie tight end Owen Daniels.

RUSHING OFFENSE: B — RB Wali Lundy topped 100 yards for the first time in his career. He broke away for a 35-yard run and finished with 116 yards on 19 carries. It was Lundy's best outing of the season, and was one more sign that he is becoming more comfortable and confident in the offense. Ron Dayne was his backup, while Samkon Gado was inactive this week.

PASS DEFENSE: B — The secondary did a solid job not allowing Vince Young to make any big plays through the air. Young completed just seven passes for 87 yards. Young did complete one pass for a touchdown though. The secondary is still looking to create turnovers though. The defensive backs haven't had an interception since Jason Simmons caught one in the first game. DE Mario Williams got one sack on Vince Young. The defensive line did a solid job putting pressure on Young.

RUSH DEFENSE: B — The Texans played well against the run. They did allow Vince Young to break away for a 20-yard touchdown run, but that was because the defense was in an all-out blitz on the play. Young was the team's leading rusher with 30 yards.

SPECIAL TEAMS: F — The lowlight of the game was definitely the special teams unit. Edell Shepherd struggled in his second game as a punt returner. The coverage team allowed Pacman Jones to return a punt 53 yards for a touchdown. Chad Stanley shanked one of his punts, and the punt team was unable to cover an onsides kick at the end of the game.

COACHING: C — The Texans had their opportunities to win this game, but Gary Kubiak gets credit for making the decision to bench David Carr. It was only the second time in Carr's career he was benched.
Old 10-31-2006   #2
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 76755 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Free Agent LB--News and Notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubs-elway View Post
http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW...ispers2117.htm

—WR David Anderson entered in the second half to return kicks. He had three returns for 30 yards. His longest was for 38 yards.
Anyone else confussed?

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006   #3
kubs-elway
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
Anyone else confussed?

The guys at pro football weekly are for entertainment value only, the tend to stray from facts.
Old 10-31-2006   #4
Roughnecks
Veteran

Rep Power: 90 Roughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respectedRoughnecks is a quality contributor and well respected

I feel that, that type of LB would with out question be a huge impact for our D. With that being said our needs are else where so I'll say it as it is said every year we need to work on getting a tackle maybe two because we do not know how well Spencer will be when he returns I mean that is a lot of weight to put on a bum leg. I have heard on this board that we should draft a tackle with the first pick but I do not think so we need to look toward free agents good ones for this spot I can not sit and wait for a rookie to develop by throwing him in the fore again. We have alot of issues but the D has look pretty good here lately that Oline has to be revamped just ones opinion.
Roughnecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006   #5
2ToneBlue
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubs-elway View Post
RUSH DEFENSE: B — The Texans played well against the run. They did allow Vince Young to break away for a 20-yard touchdown run, but that was because the defense was in an all-out blitz on the play. Young was the team's leading rusher with 30 yards.
I think they're mistaken here also, Vince had 44 yards on 4 carries, LenDale White had 35 (more than the 30 Vince had they said), and Travis Henry had 29. Total 111 (and 3 yards on reverse). The difference was 36 yards rushing for the entire game. We just spread the running around while Lundy had a career day (great day for rookie) 116.
2ToneBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006   #6
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4560 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
Anyone else confussed?
They forgot to add that it was three returns for a 30 yard avg.
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read