Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-31-2006   #1
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 41385 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Recap of Kubiak Radio Show

OK, I took around 4 pages of notes while listening to the show last night so I could recap on here what he said for those who weren't able to hear it. I'll break it down into segments so the posts won't be so long.

1st Segment (Kubiak Talking)

Thoughts on Game: Defense played well, offense moved the ball well, turnovers killed us.

QB Controversy: David is the QB and the future of the team. He was disappointed that David didn't protect the ball better. He gave Sage the opportunity and wasn't surprised he did well. He said David's job is "very" secure and not even an issue. He believes in him and the direction that he is going.

Turnovers David Had: David could have been protected better by the linemen, but David still needs to ptotect the ball. He should have taken the sack & held on to the ball. After the interception he told David to remember practice and how they went over different scenarios with that exact play. He needs to make a better decision in that situation.

2 -minute Drill: They were close to midfield and it was 3rd & 13. They called the dagger play- deep over the middle of the field. They were going to try to get down the field for a field goal. David should have felt the pressure and taken the sack & protected the ball.

Lundy: 116 rushing yards and he ran very well. He's more comfortable in the system and he has more confidence. He was excellent in protection in the game and that was a real concern early in the season.

Owen Daniels: Owen was excellent in the game. He's surprised he took on such a big role so quickly. He's done really good things so far and been a big impact player. He expects him to continue to do so for years to come.

I'll post the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th segments soon.
Old 10-31-2006   #2
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Recap of Kubiak Radio Show

Good stuff. Thanks for sharing and look forward to the other installments.
Old 10-31-2006   #3
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 41385 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

2nd Segment (Kubiak Talking)

Defense: Only 197 total yards allowed and had a great outing. They've played well the last few weeks and he credits it to them getting more comfortable in Richard's system. The vet's played well and the defense will continue to get better each week. He thought that they played well enough for them to win the game. He was asked about the Faggins interferance call and said that he had excellent position and he didn't feel like it was interferance. He turned the call into the league for review.

Special Teams: Shepard's problems were unexpected because he's been doing good, but he had to make a change and put Anderson in. Shepard will keep working hard and Anderson will get more opportunities. He was asked about punts and he said that the goal was to punt toward the sideline to keep the returner contained but the ball got away from them a few times and they still need to make plays in that situation.

Injuries: Salaam and Zack are both beat up pretty good. They are both sore, but they should be fine. Wong & Peek have a slight hamstring problem and Mario's foot is sore. They should all be OK.

Winston at Tackle: He did a good job and will rotate in more and get some good experience in these next games. He said Winston was good for the future of the franchise.

False Starts & Penalties: Not Salaam's character to have penalties like that. They need to be more disciplined and take a hard look at themselves as a whole and not make mental mistakes.

Vince Young: He's a fine player and has fun out there. He made a good play with his feet and a pass for the TD. He knew the coach at U.T. that worked with Vince.

I'll post 3rd & 4th segment soon.
Old 10-31-2006   #4
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

I have to spread the rep around before I give it to you again.

Mario's foot? Get the man some better shoes.
Old 10-31-2006   #5
JDizzle
I'm a dude

Rep Power: 7477 JDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
I have to spread the rep around before I give it to you again.

Mario's foot? Get the man some better shoes.
I hear Yao has a good shoemaker ....
JDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006   #6
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

3rd Segment

Caller:
Q: Why no shotgun formations and how do you choose schemes that you use in the games?
A: They did have some shotgun play in the plans but didn't use them. David plays under center and it is his strength. The shotgun may buy you a little time, but it changes the game for the QB because you have to take your eye off the defense for a second. As far as the playbook goes, it is really thick. They decide what they use by fitting it to the player's strengths and what they do best. The playbook contains plays that he has been a part of over the years and also plays from coaches he works with.

O Linemen: Weary and McKinney played well and they will keep doing what they are doing. They went with seven linemen this last game.

4th segment coming soon.
Old 10-31-2006   #7
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjeremy635 View Post
3rd Segment

Caller:
Q: Why no shotgun formations and how do you choose schemes that you use in the games?
A: They did have some shotgun play in the plans but didn't use them. David plays under center and it is his strength. The shotgun may buy you a little time, but it changes the game for the QB because you have to take your eye off the defense for a second. As far as the playbook goes, it is really thick. They decide what they use by fitting it to the player's strengths and what they do best. The playbook contains plays that he has been a part of over the years and also plays from coaches he works with.

O Linemen: Weary and McKinney played well and they will keep doing what they are doing. They went with seven linemen this last game.

4th segment coming soon.
There is the answer we were looking for, but never heard from the previous regime. Dave's weakness of reading defenses limits the offensive playbook. I like the fact that Kubiak tries to play to one's strengths, but when you make 7million at QB and you cannot read defenses out of the shotgun, it is time to get some glasses, spend all of your time watching film or be cut immediately.
Old 10-31-2006   #8
SBTexans08
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to SBTexans08

I thought what he was saying was that, shot-gun isn't really all that better, time wise. Sure it makes the DL or LBs travel a few steps further and that's a positive but at the same time....the QB has to pay close attention to the ball when hiked so that he doesn't lose it, and while doing this...it takes away a bit of that time that you were trying to buy with shot-gun since you can't look at the defense for that quick instance while getting the ball hiked in your hands.

And really...I'd think that while in Shotgun formation....it's easier for a QB to read a defense. I thought that was always the case.
Old 10-31-2006   #9
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

4th Segment

Caller:
Q: Why does Sage find wide open receivers down the field when David only finds 5 to 8 yard receivers if you are calling the same plays for both QBs?
A: QBs have different strengths. You also have to look at the coverages that the defense had on those plays.

Kubiak Talking

Update on Mathis: Rehab is going OK and they will step up work outs. They are going to have to make a decision on him coming back in something like 8 days.

Rushing Defense: Ball control helped (time of posession). The defense only had 43 snaps. Mainly goes back to being more comfortable. The team is trusting Demeco's leadership and he is getting people in the right spot to make plays.

Team Meeting: Talked about why they weren't successful. He told them it wasn't about one player and he explained to them why he did what he did and that they all need to look at themselves and be accountable. He was asked about the team wanting Sage as the QB and he said that the team believes in David and that he can lead them.

Dayne: He's a load to tackle and good in short yardage. He understands the game, protections, and the system. He will probably play the next game. They will keep working with Gado and there may be games where they have 3 backs active.

Caller:
Q: How do you plan to stop Burress and what did you do in your off week?
A: NY has a good combination and receiver and QB and they have a lot of talent all over that they need to plan for. He spent time with his family on his off week and watched his boy in college play ball. He said it was a nice break.

That's it. Hopefully this update will be helpful for some of you. Enjoy.
Old 10-31-2006   #10
SBTexans08
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to SBTexans08

Thanks C.J.!
Old 10-31-2006   #11
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Hey guys/gals, thanks for the positive responses. I'll try to make this a weekly thing except for next week because I'll be out of town for opening weekend of deer season... .
Old 10-31-2006   #12
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 87851 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
2nd Segment (Kubiak Talking)

Winston at Tackle: He did a good job and will rotate in more and get some good experience in these next games. He said Winston was good for the future of the franchise.
Thats really really good to hear.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006   #13
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBTexans08 View Post
I thought what he was saying was that, shot-gun isn't really all that better, time wise. Sure it makes the DL or LBs travel a few steps further and that's a positive but at the same time....the QB has to pay close attention to the ball when hiked so that he doesn't lose it, and while doing this...it takes away a bit of that time that you were trying to buy with shot-gun since you can't look at the defense for that quick instance while getting the ball hiked in your hands.

And really...I'd think that while in Shotgun formation....it's easier for a QB to read a defense. I thought that was always the case.

That's what I got out of it when I listened to it. It didn't seem like he was dogging Carr. He made it out like he has been around a lot of QBs and he has been in different systems himself and he didn't see that it would benefit his game play by putting him in that formation. He did say that David tends to hurry up on a lot of his stuff and that when he is in the shotgun formation it makes him even quicker and that wasn't necessarily a good thing. (I am assuming he meant with getting rid of the ball too quick and not going through all of his progressions)
Old 10-31-2006   #14
Porky
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67402 Porky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respected

So let me recap. Carr is no good in the shotgun because he has to take his eye off the defense for a second to make sure he receives the ball, even though he has problems receiving the snap from under center. He is so poor at reading coverages that the split second he must take his eye off the defense renders him ineffective, even though most pro QB's use the shotgun, and a rookie managed it just fine Sunday. Carr almost always throws dinks and dunks because his strength is not throwing down the field, unlike QB 2 on the roster. Carr also has problems throwing into quadruple coverage even though they practiced that very play and all of its scenrios that week. And, he has trouble protecting the ball when sacked. I think I have that about right.

But, David is great and he is our QB. He is far better than Sage, and has earned the right to start. Do I have that about right coach?
Old 10-31-2006   #15
valleytexfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 275 valleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Thanks Jeremy. Great job!!
valleytexfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006   #16
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky View Post
So let me recap. Carr is no good in the shotgun because he has to take his eye off the defense for a second to make sure he receives the ball, even though he has problems receiving the snap from under center. He is so poor at reading coverages that the split second he must take his eye off the defense renders him ineffective, even though most pro QB's use the shotgun, and a rookie managed it just fine Sunday. Carr almost always throws dinks and dunks because his strength is not throwing down the field, unlike QB 2 on the roster. Carr also has problems throwing into quadruple coverage even though they practiced that very play and all of its scenrios that week. And, he has trouble protecting the ball when sacked. I think I have that about right.

But, David is great and he is our QB. He is far better than Sage, and has earned the right to start. Do I have that about right coach?

No, Sage is the best option to put on the field and win the game.

Signed,
Cody Carlson
Old 10-31-2006   #17
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 13945 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
There is the answer we were looking for, but never heard from the previous regime. Dave's weakness of reading defenses limits the offensive playbook. I like the fact that Kubiak tries to play to one's strengths, but when you make 7million at QB and you cannot read defenses out of the shotgun, it is time to get some glasses, spend all of your time watching film or be cut immediately.
Eh... I think you are getting away with murder when you pull that thought of what Kubiak said. He was speaking in general about the shotgun formation. Jeepers.....
Old 10-31-2006   #18
Porky
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67402 Porky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No, Sage is the best option to put on the field and win the game.

Signed,
Cody Carlson
Cody is as good as Carr, I will say that. Is that the best rebuttal you have?
Old 10-31-2006   #19
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 72472 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky View Post

Well if you are going to get picky...

From the Kubiak Presser:
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/de...0Latest%20News

Quote:
(on concerns at tackle) “I’m not concerned about their effort. They’re both playing extremely hard. Ephraim’s (Salaam) beat up right now, and he got put in that situation with us losing (T Charles) Spencer. ... Could they have played better? Yes, but I think both of them are giving us all they’ve got.”
1) So Salaam and Weigert are trying really hard and giving their best effort as they get dominated by a pretty poor defense. Maybe at this point in their careers they are no longer good enough to get the job done. Having extra meetings and letting Weigert skip practices aren't going to change that.

2) If they know Salaam is in a situation he can't handle because of the Spencer injury, than start somebody else and let Salaam fill the role of swing tackle back-up he is suited for.
Old 10-31-2006   #20
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansLucky13 View Post
Eh... I think you are getting away with murder when you pull that thought of what Kubiak said. He was speaking in general about the shotgun formation. Jeepers.....
It is simply a thought based on my perception of Carr and the recanted words of Kubiak without accurate context and no inflection. Hardly murder, but I am connecting the dots which is today's method of operation for laying blame.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read