Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-31-2006   #1
Texans34Life
I BLEED TEXANS!

Rep Power: 1028 Texans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Chronic: Texans show support for Carr after nightmare in Tennessee

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...s/4298816.html

Quote:
"We're going to ride with Carr because he's the starter, and we believe he can get the job done," cornerback Dunta Robinson said. "You can't sit a guy after one bad half.

"Dave was coming off a great game against Jacksonville, and there's no way you throw a guy under the bus for one bad half."
Quote:
Kubiak said the blame for Sunday's loss starts with him.

"I take a hell of a lot of it on myself," he said. "If you point a finger, there are always three of them pointing right back at you. I have to do a better job."

And it starts with the way he handles Carr.

"(Carr's) response is very important," Kubiak said. "It's very important to our future how he comes out of this. I know it's his first time, but there aren't many quarterbacks that haven't been through this.

Quote:
"These guys have been great," Carr said. "When you're at your worst moment, you find out who your friends are, and I have a lot of them on this team."

"Almost everybody had a story for me about Jim Kelly or John Elway or Steve Young things they'd gone through," Carr said. "The guys went out of their way, and it means a lot to me.

"I told my wife (Melody) last night that if Tennessee wanted to play me in the backyard, I wouldn't even wear pads if it meant we could do it over.

"It's going to take a hand grenade to get me off the field the next time."
Quote:
"If he were to go in the tank and change his approach and not exude confidence, then we might be on the fence. But we're not," Mark Bruener said. "We believe in David."
If he is so confident on reforming himself after the Titans game, let's see how he fares against the Giants, Jags, and Bills in the upcoming weeks.

I'm expecting Sage to replace him by the Bills game. Pull a Reich.

HoustonTexans4Life - 2010-2011 CHAMPION of TexansTalk Survivor and TexansTalk Pick'em
Texans34Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006   #2
Goldeagle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Goldeagle is a Pro BowlerGoldeagle is a Pro Bowler
Send a message via Yahoo to Goldeagle
Default Re: Chronic: Texans show support for Carr after nightmare in Tennessee

I believe Salaam apologized to david and McKenney actually dogged his fellow O lineman saying THEY need to play better, not david.

But I see David getting killed against the Giants, Sage will be the starter and I will see if Sage is the man to take us to the promised land.
Goldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006   #3
CoachJim
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to CoachJim Send a message via Yahoo to CoachJim

I can think of 8 million reasons Sage will not be our starter this season. Can you imagine how stupid thats gonna make Kubes look to Big Daddy Bob? Besides, ya gotta love the fight in David ...

Quote:
"I told my wife (Melody) last night that if Tennessee wanted to play me in the backyard, I wouldn't even wear pads if it meant we could do it over.

"It's going to take a hand grenade to get me off the field the next time."
Old 10-31-2006   #4
wolfscar
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans34Life View Post
If he is so confident on reforming himself after the Titans game, let's see how he fares against the Giants, Jags, and Bills in the upcoming weeks.

I'm expecting Sage to replace him by the Bills game. Pull a Reich.
He had one bad game. Carr has been immense this season, it would take a major skid for him to be pulled as starter and I really don't see that happening.
Old 10-31-2006   #5
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
cornerback Dunta Robinson said. "You can't sit a guy after one bad half.
Yes you can. This is the type of attitude that coddling one guy can and will permeate a locker room. I know it is in Carr's defense, but it is BS and needs to be squashed, especially with so many rookies getting thrust into starting positions.
Old 10-31-2006   #6
MissouriTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 MissouriTexan was voted MVPMissouriTexan was voted MVPMissouriTexan was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfscar View Post
He had one bad game. Carr has been immense this season, it would take a major skid for him to be pulled as starter and I really don't see that happening.
My thoughts exactly, why pull a guy that's been doing great all year (finally) if he has one bad half? We've invested time and money into this guy, and it was finally starting to pay off. Let's not let all of that go to waste, I still think Carr's our man to bring us to glory, when we get a decent O-line in front of him.
MissouriTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006   #7
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 51315 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

What I find funny is that at one point in time the Houston fan base called for Warren Moon's head and wanted Commander Cody Carlson to start. When it Finlay happened Cody pulled his groin and was out and Moon came back in and had one of the best games of his career.

Little off topic here, any other old Oiler fan a little peeved the Vikings had a tribute for Moon? So far he has been honored in a city he never played in and and team he played three seasons for.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-31-2006   #8
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 4279 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

David Carr is God
Old 10-31-2006   #9
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I think I'm gonna be ill. David Carr shouldn't be mentioned with Steve Young, John Elway, Jim Kelly or Warren Moon....it's just not fair to those great HOF players. Carr isn't in their class and I find it amazing people keep mentioning Carr with those guys.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006   #10
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 31690 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Frankly, I'm surprised any of them said anything. Not because the subject was Carr, but because the times I can remember the team standing up for each other publicly are very few and far between. In the past it has seemed to me they keep their heads down so that they aren't the next to "get in trouble".
Old 10-31-2006   #11
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 51315 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I think I'm gonna be ill. David Carr shouldn't be mentioned with Steve Young, John Elway, Jim Kelly or Warren Moon....it's just not fair to those great HOF players. Carr isn't in their class and I find it amazing people keep mentioning Carr with those guys.
The thing about Moon is he got here in 86' and wasn't any good until 88'. Also remember he struggled in the beginning of Pardee's Run and Shoot. Remember the butt whoopin we got from Glanville's kids the first game of the season?

Never know, maybe Carr will turn into a gamer someday. I am still holding out hope. The New York game will tell his entire future. If he comes out firing and lights up the D then he is here to stay. If he comes out flat......its over.

Old 10-31-2006   #12
Twitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
Little off topic here, any other old Oiler fan a little peeved the Vikings had a tribute for Moon? So far he has been honored in a city he never played in and and team he played three seasons for.
Didn't I see that KC retired his number?!?!
Old 10-31-2006   #13
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
The thing about Moon is he got here in 86' and wasn't any good until 88'. Also remember he struggled in the beginning of Pardee's Run and Shoot. Remember the butt whoopin we got from Glanville's kids the first game of the season?

Never know, maybe Carr will turn into a gamer someday. I am still holding out hope. The New York game will tell his entire future. If he comes out firing and lights up the D then he is here to stay. If he comes out flat......its over.
we didn't hang out for 5 years waiting for Moon to get consistent. The RnS didn't work too well right off the bat in the NFL and it also didn't work without superstar talent. Bob Gagliano and Mouse Davis never could get it to work right up in Detroit. Moon made that offense work in the NFL after they worked out the bugs.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006   #14
Texanfan4ever
All Pro

Rep Power: 76 Texanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
Frankly, I'm surprised any of them said anything. Not because the subject was Carr, but because the times I can remember the team standing up for each other publicly are very few and far between. In the past it has seemed to me they keep their heads down so that they aren't the next to "get in trouble".

That's true, but I think the difference here is Kubiak. Regardless of what has happened, the team has a different attitude. Starts with "respecting your coach" IMO
Texanfan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006   #15
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 4279 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Kubiak specifically relates David to these two. I don't think anyone on this planet could know more about it than Gary. Now, if that makes you sick.... just take some Advil and go lay down. I think you may be in for a long season (if not the length of Davids career).
Old 10-31-2006   #16
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Quote:
we didn't hang out for 5 years waiting for Moon to get consistent. The RnS didn't work too well right off the bat in the NFL and it also didn't work without superstar talent. Bob Gagliano and Mouse Davis never could get it to work right up in Detroit. Moon made that offense work in the NFL after they worked out the bugs.
I know. I was really just trying to compare. Moon wasn't good until Glanville installed a decent system and then didn't become a super star until Pardee played to Moon's strength of throwing it down the field.

Much like Carr. He was in a crappy system and for four years didn't have anyone to guide him. I don't think Moon, Elway, Young, or even Aikeman's concussion prone self could have survived Capers, Pendry, and Palmer. You must admit Carr has preformed a thousand times better this season than in years past.

Last edited by TEXANRED; 10-31-2006 at 11:38 AM.
Old 10-31-2006   #17
Sarg01
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
Yes you can. This is the type of attitude that coddling one guy can and will permeate a locker room. I know it is in Carr's defense, but it is BS and needs to be squashed, especially with so many rookies getting thrust into starting positions.
Well, you can sit him for a half. Something to break him out of a bad rhythm. However, you can't take away his job in the middle of his best season so far, particularly when it's also been one of the better seasons by any NFL starting QB.
Sarg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006   #18
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

the Texans are playing the freaking NY Giants this weekend in the Meadowlands, those same Giants that manhandled the Cowboys who manhandled the Texans, this is going to be ugly. We won't have to worry about David playing the 2nd half again & not because Kubiak pulls him out of the game for turnovers but because he is going to have to be picked up off the carpet and taken to the hospital for X-Rays.

Last I checked Houston was leading the league in give aways with a -9 (6 int./9 fum.) while the Giants are a plus 1, wonder how thats going to work for Carr & the Texans. Not to mention the strength of the Giants defense is their defensive line w/- Michael Strahan, Osi Umenyiora, Barry Cofield & Fred Robbins. anyone care to guess how thats gonna match-up against this Texans O-Line?

So why even put Carr into this position? Let Sage start & see if he can read & get rid of the ball quickly, not to mention get the running game working while David make his adjustments on the sideline & learn how to read defenses something he was never given the opportunity to do as a rookie, my guess its pretty hard to learn anything while layed out on your back 76 times in a season other than throwing INT's and Fumbling the rock.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006   #19
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Carr is going to have to rebound agains the Giants on the road?

Come on guys and gals, it's a long shot at best. It could happen, but I don't see the Texans offense putting up enough points on the board to keep up with a very good Giants offense.

The Texans offense still hasn't scored a TD on the road in the first half. What have we seen that shows that is going to change? The offense is going to need to score 14 to 17 points in the first half to keep this game honest in the second half.

More than likely, things are going to get a lot worse for Carr before they get better because of the competition the next two weeks, if he lasts that long.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006   #20
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarg01 View Post
Well, you can sit him for a half. Something to break him out of a bad rhythm. However, you can't take away his job in the middle of his best season so far, particularly when it's also been one of the better seasons by any NFL starting QB.
Ok, so that makes the two of us not advocating that.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read