Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-31-2006   #1
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Mario exceding expectations

Mario has 3.5 sacks in 7 games, on his current track he will have 8 sacks on the season. But what I think he is exceding expectations in is in stopping the run. He is establishing the corner and discouraging teams to run at him.

How does Mario weigh up to your expectations?
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006   #2
Mysteryhunt
Veteran

Default Re: Mario exceding expectations

i think the problem is the expectations for mario far exceed those for anyone else on the team due to the circumstances of his selection. ryans is by far exceeding expectations but they were not even close to those we all had for mario. i think for a rookie he is looking very good assuming he will continue to learn and get better.

it's sad the inevitable comparisons that are made with the rest of his draft class, but i would say bush is far from reaching the expectations set for him and mario and young are perhaps right at expectations or a tad below them.

the most encouraging thing i've seen from mario is the comments from earlier in the year that he looked lost without a DE motor have gone away. this shows that he is learning and trying, so i think by the end of the year he will have exceeded expectations with around 10 sacks and general solid play from the DE position.
Mysteryhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006   #3
YellerLotYeller
nice marmot

Rep Power: 188 YellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respected

Mario is living up to expectations so far, but on defense Meco is by far the standout. He'll be a great leader for this team in the future. With these 2 guys playin well and Daniels looking dam good, we might have one of the best rookie classes in the league. Now if we can just get Winston out there on the left side(or right side) to prove himself.
YellerLotYeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006   #4
coachdent
Veteran

Rep Power: 14 coachdent was voted MVPcoachdent was voted MVPcoachdent was voted MVPcoachdent was voted MVPcoachdent was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to coachdent

I think he is doing well. But he does need to show some improvement in a couple of areas.

First, he needs to develop an inside move. He gets into a bit of a rut constantly rushing outside and bull rushing. I have been impressed with his bull rushing. He did it several times against Jacksonville where he just got up underneath the tackle and drove him into Leftwich. Doesn't go down as a sack or a tip or anything measurable, but definitely affected the play.

Secondly, Mario needs to be more violent with his arms on both the pass rush and in the run game. He is engaged entirely too long with the tackle and just spends too much time "riding" the block instead of disengaging and getting to the quarterback. He needs to rip his inside arm up underneath the armpit of the tackle and lift him up and get by him. Haven't seen that as of yet.

I'd like to see the Texans employ more stunts with Mario as well. In the Jacksonville game, there were several occassions where he looped inside and was working on a center or a guard and they had a lot of trouble handling him. This is the only time I saw them run that stunt.

I'd also like to see the Texans get out of this dropping Mario into "coverage" garbage. He is not a cover guy and our defense has enough trouble conventionally. Zone blitzing is not the winning edge. The TD to Vince Young on Sunday was a blown blitz package. We brought pressure with two linebackers coming to the left side of the offense. Mario dropped into coverage to the side they blitzed to. However, the one linebacker came from the right side of the defense, thus vacating the zone. The defensive end to that side needed to drop, or better yet, Mario needed to be on that side mirroring the QB. Either way, it was a silly blitz that was totally uncalled for. Send Mario and let him get to the QB. Drop someone else!

I think he totally shut down the Jags' run game to his side when he was in. Not really mentioned much, but they ran for about seven yards going to Mario's side that day.

Overall, I would give Mario a B-/C grade with the potential to definitely be an A. I think he is going to be a premier DE in this league and will be a staple of our defense for many years to come.
Old 10-31-2006   #5
Hulk75
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 428 Hulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Playing very well, smarter and meaner with his moves from his first couple of games.
Hulk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006   #6
MrMeToo
All Pro

I wouldn't say Mario is exceding expectations,but he's doing alright...
MrMeToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006   #7
TexanFanInCC
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to TexanFanInCC Send a message via Yahoo to TexanFanInCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
Mario has 3.5 sacks in 7 games, on his current track he will have 8 sacks on the season. But what I think he is exceding expectations in is in stopping the run. He is establishing the corner and discouraging teams to run at him.

well i knew it was going to be a few games before we saw him start to emerge as a force, but for the most part im extremely pleased. he probably gives the most effort out on the field. if the ball carrier is behind him, he pursues until he personally brings him down. he has been pretty effective as a pass rusher. 3.5 sacks is nice, and he is constantly providing the most push on the d-line. he is getting better each week. if he continues the growth trend, then i would say he was a worthy pick over bush or vince.
Old 10-31-2006   #8
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I'd give him a solid C- and yes, he is still dissapointing to me so far. His sacks are when DeMeco forced the QB, Weaver got robbed of a sack, and his run down of Young - not in the pocket, but when Young pulled down to run. I really haven't seen him put much heat on the QB or change any plays forcing mistakes or blowing up plays. All his sacks are the by-product of other players changing the play and he is moping up. He is hustling and he disappears for long stretches but I do see flashes of potential...but that's all I see really.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006   #9
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Check out this FanHouse post: Mario Williams Getting Some Raves

Basically it is mostly just pointing out a McClain gossip blog post. From McClain:

Quote:
I'm talking about Williams making plays and being disruptive. He hasn't been great, but he's been getting better the last two games against Dallas and Jacksonville. If you don't believe me, I just got off the phone with two NFL personnel directors who watched the Texans' game, and they were raving about the way Williams played and the way they think he will play. There were three NFL scouts in the pressbox. I spoke with them before, during and after the game, and they were raving about Williams and DeMeco Ryans.

So, I'm not saying Williams was worth the first pick or that he's playing great because so far he hasn't been, but the fact is that he's gotten better the last two weeks. Even Stevie Wonder could see it. If any of you want to rip on Williams this week, fine, but just remember that NFL scouts and personnel directors have a little more credibility. At least this week.
FWIW.
Old 10-31-2006   #10
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I'd give him a solid C- and yes, he is still dissapointing to me so far. His sacks are when DeMeco forced the QB, Weaver got robbed of a sack, and his run down of Young - not in the pocket, but when Young pulled down to run. I really haven't seen him put much heat on the QB or change any plays forcing mistakes or blowing up plays. All his sacks are the by-product of other players changing the play and he is moping up. He is hustling and he disappears for long stretches but I do see flashes of potential...but that's all I see really.
That is an interesting point, and true from what I have seen. Obviously it is not a bad thing that our team is working well together to get sacks, but your saying you can't solely credit Mario for those 3.5 sacks and I agree.

In the last few games I have been noticing Mario be more and more disruptive to the pass and the run. He may not break free of his lineman often and get in the QBs face like many top DEs in the league do...but he seems to push his blocker into the QB on alot of pass plays and atleast give the opposing QB a "time limit" when the rest of our defense is not gettin pressure. Before, like last year, when our defense struggled at getting pressure the opposing QB would sit back in the pocket for what seemed like 10 seconds and almost always make a play. I am seeing Mario's edition change that a little bit.

How are most of you grading him against the run?
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006   #11
coachdent
Veteran

Rep Power: 14 coachdent was voted MVPcoachdent was voted MVPcoachdent was voted MVPcoachdent was voted MVPcoachdent was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to coachdent

Quote:
How are most of you grading him against the run?
Before the Jacksonville game, I thought he was doing quite poorly. He was getting singled up against tight ends, which is totally unacceptible for a DEnd. But in the Jacksonville game, he totally dominated his side and forced the Jags to run to the opposite side.

Jags game = A++
Overall = B / B-
Old 10-31-2006   #12
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 370555 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
From McClain:

Quote:
If any of you want to rip on Williams this week, fine, but just remember that NFL scouts and personnel directors have a little more credibility. At least this week.
heh, McClain pulling the NFL scout card. Classic.

Mario has improved, but it's obvious that he has a LOT to learn before he turns into a dominant force on the D-line.
Old 10-31-2006   #13
Titan "Tack" Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 44 Titan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respected

8 sacks in one season is very mediocre. I remember a guy by the name of Jevon Kearse that we drafted that had 14.5 his rookie season.
Old 10-31-2006   #14
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1331 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

I would like to see us finnaly put Mario at LDE for good with Babin or Peek on the other side. Starting him and Weaver at the same time is not a good idea and a main reason as to why he is leading the team with 3.5 sacks and no one else is even close. I think for the last couple of games he has been at LDE for the most part, and we as a team have done very well against the run. All in all, I think we had very unreal expectations from Mario coming into the season, but his progress from Week 1 to last week is obvious, and as long as it continues, I am very happy with him.
Old 10-31-2006   #15
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan "Tack" Fan View Post
8 sacks in one season is very mediocre.
Signed,
Michael Strahan and Dwight Freeney

October 31, 2006
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006   #16
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1331 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

Quote:
8 sacks in one season is very mediocre. I remember a guy by the name of Jevon Kearse that we drafted that had 14.5 his rookie season.
Was he drafted to a 2-14 expansion team converting from a 3-4 with no real pass-rusher? Other then Mario, who is our best lineman? ND Kalu? Weaver? You have to look at the entire situation: he is only 21, went to NC State and did not receive the premier coaching like Reggie, VY, DeMeco etc. For the first few weeks we moved him around every position on the D-line, making it pretty hard for him to adjust to NFL speed. At this point, he has recorded sacks in back-to-back games and is leading the team in sacks, not too bad for a rook. Also, he is improving every week from game to game. By the way, 87 passing yards in a game and a completion percentage below 50% for the season dosnt even constitue mediocre.
Old 10-31-2006   #17
Titan "Tack" Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 44 Titan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by run-david-run View Post
Was he drafted to a 2-14 expansion team converting from a 3-4 with no real pass-rusher? Other then Mario, who is our best lineman? ND Kalu? Weaver? You have to look at the entire situation: he is only 21, went to NC State and did not receive the premier coaching like Reggie, VY, DeMeco etc. For the first few weeks we moved him around every position on the D-line, making it pretty hard for him to adjust to NFL speed. At this point, he has recorded sacks in back-to-back games and is leading the team in sacks, not too bad for a rook. Also, he is improving every week from game to game. By the way, 87 passing yards in a game and a completion percentage below 50% for the season dosnt even constitue mediocre.
He scored two TDs on your precious Texans. Points are more important than yards buddy.
Old 10-31-2006   #18
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachdent View Post
I think he is doing well. But he does need to show some improvement in a couple of areas.

First, he needs to develop an inside move. He gets into a bit of a rut constantly rushing outside and bull rushing. I have been impressed with his bull rushing. He did it several times against Jacksonville where he just got up underneath the tackle and drove him into Leftwich. Doesn't go down as a sack or a tip or anything measurable, but definitely affected the play.

Secondly, Mario needs to be more violent with his arms on both the pass rush and in the run game. He is engaged entirely too long with the tackle and just spends too much time "riding" the block instead of disengaging and getting to the quarterback. He needs to rip his inside arm up underneath the armpit of the tackle and lift him up and get by him. Haven't seen that as of yet.

I'd like to see the Texans employ more stunts with Mario as well. In the Jacksonville game, there were several occassions where he looped inside and was working on a center or a guard and they had a lot of trouble handling him. This is the only time I saw them run that stunt.

I'd also like to see the Texans get out of this dropping Mario into "coverage" garbage. He is not a cover guy and our defense has enough trouble conventionally. Zone blitzing is not the winning edge. The TD to Vince Young on Sunday was a blown blitz package. We brought pressure with two linebackers coming to the left side of the offense. Mario dropped into coverage to the side they blitzed to. However, the one linebacker came from the right side of the defense, thus vacating the zone. The defensive end to that side needed to drop, or better yet, Mario needed to be on that side mirroring the QB. Either way, it was a silly blitz that was totally uncalled for. Send Mario and let him get to the QB. Drop someone else!

I think he totally shut down the Jags' run game to his side when he was in. Not really mentioned much, but they ran for about seven yards going to Mario's side that day.

Overall, I would give Mario a B-/C grade with the potential to definitely be an A. I think he is going to be a premier DE in this league and will be a staple of our defense for many years to come.
Me personally, i don't think he absolutely HAS to to be a successful pass rusher. I say this b/c i look at guys like Freeney he just really has one unstopable move & he is extremely successful with that alone. Yeah he might throw in a bull rush every now & then but if you really sit & watch him, he'll do that spin move 3 out of 5 times. Same with Reggie White with his "hump" move. Just for him to develop one really good move, whatever it may be is good enough these days.

The 2nd bolded is where i think he has improved the most believe it or not. His hand work is light years ahead of where it was at the beginning of the year. I don't know just my opinion.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006   #19
Texans Front Row Crew
Rookie

Quote:
And I remember other DEs that you drafted high, that did not and are NOT doing as well as Mario Williams.

Antwan Odom '04
Travis LaBoy '04
Byron Frisch '00
Kenny Holmes '97
Bryant Mix '96
Anthony Cook '95

Old 10-31-2006   #20
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Where have you been, The Jacksonville game the dude was all in Leftwich's face for MOST of the game. The VY sack was ALL him. The reason VY didn't throw it was b/c he got in his face with his hands up to force VY to pull it down & run.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read