Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-30-2006   #1
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 41089 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default One thing DC has ---- accuracy

Just thought it was interesting that he's still leading the league in completion percentage. 70% is pretty dang good. I think he has the ability, he just needs the mentality. And that can be coached. Thats why kubiak is sticking with him imo
Old 10-30-2006   #2
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54460 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: One thing DC has ---- accuracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Just thought it was interesting that he's still leading the league in completion percentage. 70% is pretty dang good. I think he has the ability, he just needs the mentality. And that can be coached. Thats why kubiak is sticking with him imo
Hopefully somehow Kubiak can make Carr a consistant player. I think that if there is a coach who could do it, it would be Kubiak.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006   #3
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Now I want David to start against NYG..... I think it is the right thing to do.

But both he & Carr completed 70% of their passes yesterday, except Sage got 3 TDs and 80 more yards than David Got.
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006   #4
MissouriTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 MissouriTexan was voted MVPMissouriTexan was voted MVPMissouriTexan was voted MVP

Hasn't Carr only had one meltdown this season? IMHO, he's made significant strides this season, although unfortunately, the time the defense and running game were finally on track was the time he performed very poorly.
MissouriTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006   #5
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 140 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriTexan View Post
Hasn't Carr only had one meltdown this season? IMHO, he's made significant strides this season, although unfortunately, the time the defense and running game were finally on track was the time he performed very poorly.
This is the one game all season we should have dominated and we came out with a loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006   #6
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209608 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
70% is awesome. There are not many QBs that can keep that pace for an entire season, and it is definitely worth mentioning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
Hopefully somehow Kubiak can make Carr a consistant player. I think that if there is a coach who could do it, it would be Kubiak.
Consistency is the key. I thought he was going to come out kickin' A for this game. Our team played well enough if he'd just been mediocre. But man, I certainly did not anticipate Carr looking that bad. It was of his worst performances that I can remember in recent history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Now I want David to start against NYG..... I think it is the right thing to do.
I agree. It's the right decision, because Kubiak needs to know how Carr will respond to this situation. It's the first time in his career that he's experienced this kind of setback, so the Giants game will be a big test for him. And to make it even tougher, it's against a good team on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriTexan View Post
He looked pretty bad in the 2nd half against the Cowboys. But he rebounded with a great day against the Jags. It's almost a Jeckle and Hyde thing right now.
Old 10-30-2006   #7
Titan "Tack" Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43 Titan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respected

OK im sorry to break it to you but all I saw from Carr on Sunday was a bunch of screens, 3 yard dump offs to the TE, and flat passes to the backs.

No wonder his completion percentage is so high..........
Old 10-30-2006   #8
Tayton
Veteran

87 Yards, We Know We Lost. Now Go Home.
Tayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006   #9
tsip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP

Carr is and almost always has been a 'dink and dunk' passer in the NFL, with a very weak vertical passing game...rarely uses the middle of the field, which reduces the risk of incompletions...and greatly inflates his high percentage rate...
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006   #10
IshouldbeGM
Rookie

I'd hit 70% accuracy too if i were throwing 4 yrd passes to the running back every other attempt!
IshouldbeGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006   #11
Hookem Horns
The Bill Payer

Rep Power: 52985 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Exactly, you cannot compare Carr to other NFL QB's that throw the ball down the field. 2 and 3 yard passes are almost always completed and rarely intercepted. His stats are misleading. I judge him by what I see on Sundays not what the stats say afterwards.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006   #12
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1698 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan "Tack" Fan View Post
OK im sorry to break it to you but all I saw from Carr on Sunday was a bunch of screens, 3 yard dump offs to the TE, and flat passes to the backs.

You do know we run the West/Gulf Coast offense right?

He's been doing this his whole career. He's just doing it better.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006   #13
Hulk75
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 411 Hulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Let me say this about this whole thing, the can of warms that Kubiak opened on sunday I think hurt the relationship between him and Carr a little. The trust factor had been broken that day by Kubiak.

David Carr has done a good job with a team that went 2-14 last year, did he have a great 1st half NO but NIETHER did the Offensive line (pass wise) He did not hold on to the ball very long, as soon as he hit his back foot they were on top of him, what should he do?

The pick is in excusable, he should not have thrown that ball, BUT! Is he the only QB that through a pick yesterday?( and that pick was in their area and they got no points off it, I am not excusing it, I am just saying) I believe the Super Bowl champion Ben Rothlisberger throw 4 ints 1 in the red zone that went for 100 yards, I saw a lot more guys on Sunday that should have saw the bench before Carr.

To come here to Houston and say to everyone (Kubiak) I am going to be here through the rough times and through the good times, and then to bench him on only 2 plays were he was vonerable for a Fumble is STUPID! and WRONG! If your going to bench a guy for playing bad VERY bad, for over a span of a couple games then yea I understand that, BUT for Gary to sit David Carr down because of 2 plays were he was hammered AGAIN is wrong.

For all the stuff he takes in this town for the last 5 years and to bench him on that day were he is playing against the Titans, against the guy most everyone wanted and to NOT LET HIM BATTLE BACK just blows my flippin mind.

Perfection is not going to happen in 6 games Kubes, he has done pretty dang well with the time he has had in THIS SYSTEM. I believe that Kubiak had a brain fart, made a split second decsion and TRUTHFULLY I "GARUNTEE" he apologized to Carr after the game. Just the fact that he did not let David battle back blows me away!

And the play before the half!!!!!!!!! Dangit, you know Coach they have not protected Carr all game the way they should, SO WHY in the Blue Blazes try to throw the football with the preasure they were putting on him! They rushed 4 against our 5 and played cover 4. He put the team and Carr in a very tough possition.

Say what you want, call me whatever but Gary was wrong not to let Carr finish that game.

Anyways thats what I "think" happened
Hulk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006   #14
whiskeyrbl

Face it no one wants to give any of the players we have credit. EX: We beat the Jags! What do we hear... Their best players are hurt. So That same team just beat Philly ...didn't hear anything about injuries affecting the eagles. I think it's hilarious. DC is the most accurate QB in the NFL this year. And by the way we aren't the only offense running these type plays.
Old 10-30-2006   #15
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1330 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
70% is awesome. There are not many QBs that can keep that pace for an entire season, and it is definitely worth mentioning.

Consistency is the key. I thought he was going to come out kickin' A for this game. Our team played well enough if he'd just been mediocre. But man, I certainly did not anticipate Carr looking that bad. It was of his worst performances that I can remember in recent history.

I agree. It's the right decision, because Kubiak needs to know how Carr will respond to this situation. It's the first time in his career that he's experienced this kind of setback, so the Giants game will be a big test for him. And to make it even tougher, it's against a good team on the road.

He looked pretty bad in the 2nd half against the Cowboys. But he rebounded with a great day against the Jags. It's almost a Jeckle and Hyde thing right now.
Did I miss something? The man complete 15 of 21 passes with one pick. Yes he fumbled at very bad times, but its not like he went out and started 3 of 14 like Leinart and was throwing picks left and right. It was a series of mistakes that held us back in the first half, not Carr. Until the fumble before halftime (which I blame on the coaches for the way they handled the 2 minute drill), Carr wasnt playing well, but he certanly wasnt costing us the game. To start the 3rd quarter, he leads a good drive down to the 15 or so and then gets sacked from the blindside at the top of his drop, its not like he had time to escape the rush, and messes up by losing the ball. Did he play well? No. Did his performance cost us the game? I dont think so. Others will dissagree, but I think this one is on the whole team, not just Carr.
Old 10-30-2006   #16
Nza
Rookie

Completion % != accuracy
Nza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006   #17
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

maybe thats the problem too many people focus on measureables like accuracy instead of winning and playing heads up football. VY sure did not light it up but he did not cost his team the game either. And how long is Kubiak supposed to stay with Carr when nothings working and turning over the pigskin like sausage on a hot grill

watch 3rd year Charger QB Philip Rivers no big stat sheet but consistant, doesn't turn the the ball over and when his leadership is needed he has shown the ability to make plays that move the chains and score once in the Red Zone

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006   #18
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52069 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I've always defended Carr for the most part, I think the O-line can take some of that blame, and I still think Carr would be REALLY good if he had like immaculate protection, BUT he's got to stop fumbling the ball such a large percentage of the time when he is sacked. I really doubt that it is a question of toughness. I think the issue here is one of hearing or feeling it coming. He gets nailed too much without having any idea that he's about to get hit.

He may have had periods where he imagined that he was about to get hit, but then when he really is he doesn't have any idea. Or, maybe he just needs to keep a firmer 2 handed grip on the ball when he's not throwing it.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006   #19
WiiBrawler
WiiMan

Rep Power: 10 WiiBrawler is on the Pro-Bowl ballotWiiBrawler is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via MSN to WiiBrawler Send a message via Yahoo to WiiBrawler Send a message via Skype™ to WiiBrawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan "Tack" Fan View Post

He is playing it safe, for the sake of his qb rating

Sig By Michaelm
Formerly Carr2Johnson
WiiBrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006   #20
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 657 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk75 View Post
Let me say this about this whole thing, the can of warms that Kubiak opened on sunday I think hurt the relationship between him and Carr a little. The trust factor had been broken that day by Kubiak.

...........to NOT LET HIM BATTLE BACK just blows my flippin mind.
I think DC broke a trust with his head coach by not protecting the ball. We hear it all the time on the radio here. I'm sure DC has heard it a million times. Kubiak won't tolerate it. Also, on the Hope INT, I heard Kubiak say last night that the Texans scout team gave DC the same look in practice and DC made the right read. So why does he do the right thing on Wednesday but can't do it on Sunday? (Kubiak's rhetorical question that I'm just repeating).

Kubiak gave DC a chance to battle back by letting him start the second half. He fumbled the ball away on the first drive. I think he had seen enough at that point. I know I did.

And no, it's not all his fault, but a lot of it is.

Hopefully DC gets over his hurt feelings quickly. We need someone to play QB.

Last edited by aj.; 10-31-2006 at 07:06 AM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read