Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-30-2006   #1
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 64177 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Please Read the Kubiak Presser

Kubiak Presser link

Carr quotes

Very interesting stuff. Please no parsing quotes or making them more than what they are. (I know that is a lot to ask).

Basically, you get the sense that Kubiak is trying not to overreact to anything. The comments about Winston were particularly interesting:

Quote:
(on concerns at tackle) “I’m not concerned about their effort. They’re both playing extremely hard. Ephraim’s (Salaam) beat up right now, and he got put in that situation with us losing (T Charles) Spencer. Our next step at tackle is having (Eric) Winston step up and play more. He did go in and do some good things yesterday; that was encouraging. (T) Zach (Wiegert) got beat a few times. If you’re a tackle in this business you’re going to get beat a few times. We could have protected better on the edges, but overall we asked him to protect all day too because we were throwing it around once we got down. Could they have played better? Yes, but I think both of them are giving us all they’ve got.”

on T Eric Winston’s performance) “He did a pretty good job. He got beat on the edge a couple of times, too. We’re talking about that as coaches I see him (we’re playing three guards) starting to be a part of the rotation and a lot of the reason, to me with that, is because the other two are both beat up. They’ve played a long, long time and Ephraim’s got every nick that you can have on an injury report this morning. He’s given us everything he’s got, so we’ve got o give Eric as part of the rotation for the future of the team and for him, too. But he has shown some sides and done some good stuff, too.”

(on what he likes about Winston) “I think the question on Eric is length. Everybody who had him coming out in the draft had some questions about his length at tackle. His arms are not, if you’re looking for the prototypical tackle, his arms don’t have that type of length. But he has played well out there, he does get jerk pulled some because of his length. We talk about moving him inside, we talk about doing some of those things but we’ve got to give him a chance to be a tackle first. That’s going to happen here over the rest of the season. He’ll get that opportunity.”
It is definitely worth reading.
Old 10-30-2006   #2
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8733 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Please Read the Kubiak Presser

winston looked horrible to me.
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006   #3
Texan1
Veteran

Winston is going to be a good one. Glad to see he is going to get more PT.
Texan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006   #4
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 281064 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Thanks for posting, TC. It's a must-read for all fans that want to understand the team and the thoughts of the leadership.
Old 10-30-2006   #5
MissouriTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 MissouriTexan was voted MVPMissouriTexan was voted MVPMissouriTexan was voted MVP

Anyone else think we had the best overall draft this year?
MissouriTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006   #6
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Now that is a coach with his finger on the pulse of his team. Good stuff. It still is a good day to be a Texan.
Old 10-30-2006   #7
WhyIsItAlwaysNextYear
Veteran

I love his old school approach! He says what he thinks about the game, he stick with his decisions and is not afraid to pull a move like bench Carr, and still stick by Carr if he thinks he gives them the best chance to succceed!

I just hope his old school ways fly in todays NFL with spoiled players and fair weather fans!
WhyIsItAlwaysNextYear is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-30-2006   #8
ccdude730
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 129 ccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ccdude730

a great read by kubiak and carr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Thanks for posting, TC. It's a must-read for all fans that want to understand the team and the thoughts of the leadership.
agreed. lots of information about this team coming together. really glad to have a vet like moulds have a talk with carr as well
Old 10-30-2006   #9
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 48121 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Holy moly. I have never read a better houston interview in my entire life. That is simply amazing. I love Kubiak's hold on the team
Old 10-30-2006   #10
West Texas Texan
Rookie

Interesting quotes from Kubiak regarding Winston (especially "the arms are too short" comment). I think the real problem is one Mr. Sherman. Spencer (a guard at Pitt) was Shermans' pick, Winston was Casserly's (a 2 yr starter at LT at Miami) Winston lost his coattails. He was selected as the best OL in the ACC by the defensive coaches his senior year. He also had the third highest wonderlich score at the senior combines for ALL players. He comes to camp and isn't even considered at LT (why do you think that is?)... Don't think coaches egos aren't involved with player selection. If Winston had been put at the LT position and Spencer at RT behind Weigert then that would make Sherman look bad. Now, all of a sudden, Winston's arms are too short to play tackle? How crippled does Salaam have to be, or how much poorly does Weigert have to play to allow Winston a chance to prove himself?

I replayed the Titans/Texans game, taking special notice when winston was playing, and saw his assignment on the ground on at least one knee 6 times, 5 other times stopped at the line of scrimmage. Then for some reason Salaam returned to the lineup, and bad things began to happen.

Weigert was beat repeatedly, and Carr took many hits/hurries/rushes as a result. Once Salaam reinjured himself, he knew that he didn't have the quickness in his legs to fend off the much younger and faster D line rush, precipitating the false starts. If we think Sherman did so many great things at GB, go and review Najeh Davenport's comments on leaving GB and playing for the Steelers. We may get an insight on some Texan hidden problems.

I've become a new Texan fan this year, mainly because I can't get the Steelers on the tube in W. TX., and I've watched Winston since H.S. He is a gamer.

He's not in there NOT because he doesn't have the talent, size, or experience. Could it be, perhaps, a coach's ego keeping him out of the lineup?
West Texas Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006   #11
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Texas Texan View Post
Interesting quotes from Kubiak regarding Winston (especially "the arms are too short" comment). I think the real problem is one Mr. Sherman. Spencer (a guard at Pitt) was Shermans' pick, Winston was Casserly's (a 2 yr starter at LT at Miami) Winston lost his coattails. He was selected as the best OL in the ACC by the defensive coaches his senior year. He also had the third highest wonderlich score at the senior combines for ALL players. He comes to camp and isn't even considered at LT (why do you think that is?)... Don't think coaches egos aren't involved with player selection. If Winston had been put at the LT position and Spencer at RT behind Weigert then that would make Sherman look bad. Now, all of a sudden, Winston's arms are too short to play tackle? How crippled does Salaam have to be, or how much poorly does Weigert have to play to allow Winston a chance to prove himself?

I replayed the Titans/Texans game, taking special notice when winston was playing, and saw his assignment on the ground on at least one knee 6 times, 5 other times stopped at the line of scrimmage. Then for some reason Salaam returned to the lineup, and bad things began to happen.

Weigert was beat repeatedly, and Carr took many hits/hurries/rushes as a result. Once Salaam reinjured himself, he knew that he didn't have the quickness in his legs to fend off the much younger and faster D line rush, precipitating the false starts. If we think Sherman did so many great things at GB, go and review Najeh Davenport's comments on leaving GB and playing for the Steelers. We may get an insight on some Texan hidden problems.

I've become a new Texan fan this year, mainly because I can't get the Steelers on the tube in W. TX., and I've watched Winston since H.S. He is a gamer.

He's not in there NOT because he doesn't have the talent, size, or experience. Could it be, perhaps, a coach's ego keeping him out of the lineup?
Strong first post. Welcome to the board.
Old 10-30-2006   #12
ccdude730
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 129 ccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ccdude730

i think your reading way to much into the coaches. i remember prior to the draft that his short arms was one of his biggest weaknesses.
Old 10-30-2006   #13
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Have I told anyone how much I like Kubiak?

Reading that presser gives me confidence that we have the right guy in charge of this team.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006   #14
West Texas Texan
Rookie

Thanks KT. We only get the Texans or KC as the AFC game out here. I watched 5 Texans games last year, and believe me, as a new fan, there is absolutely NO COMPARISON between last years' team and this years'.

The rookies are helping, but Kubiak as head coach is doing well. The Texans are getting better, but are a few starting players, role players (every team has them) and depth players away from a winning season. Of course, the MAIN ingredients he is trying to instill is confidence and a winning attitude. He inherited a real mess there.

Kubiak's demeanor is similar to other successful head coaches in the NFL.
West Texas Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006   #15
Hulk75
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 427 Hulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
(on Carr having to lose the job for Rosenfels to start) “I’m not sure where you’re headed with that. David’s our quarterback and that’s the best way I can answer it. So, like I said, we’re going to go back to work as usual.”
Quote:
(on Carr bouncing back a sign of his future) “I think so. It’s part of your career and I told David that. I said, ‘Ten years from now you and I will talk about this and talk about the day that this happened. We move forward and go from there
Good Stuff!
Hulk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006   #16
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200326 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not into the whole "man-crush" thing but damn, I'm glad Kubiak is our coach.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006   #17
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 85708 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
Strong first post. Welcome to the board.

I agree, good post, but I would be interested in some amplifying data and a few links to the comments by Davenport... sounds like it would be worth perusing... maybe I'll do some searching when I have the time.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006   #18
Nbkan
Rookie

Send a message via ICQ to Nbkan Send a message via AIM to Nbkan Send a message via MSN to Nbkan

Not sure about the credence of the first link, but I did find three links in regards to Sherman/Davenport.

http://www.thebrushback.com/Archives/sherman_full.htm

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06294/731877-66.stm

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=482745
Old 10-31-2006   #19
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Hey West Texas, that's such an intriguing theory you've come up with that
I'm gonna have to assign you an alias - Oliver Stone. I'm afraid your imagination and partiality towards Winston have exceeded the logic of your agrument.
With Carr's benching yesterday, Kubiak has now established that no player is immune from his punitive actions if they screw-up. And I have no doubt he'd
put Salaam and/or Weigert on the bench if he only thought he had someone
he could put out there who would improve performance at the position.
You're not the first Winston apologist to post in these parts, but the others
seem to like him because he's a colorful personality.
Eric's apparently your homey, and I like that you got his back. But I'm for sure that Kubiak will put him out there when and if he thinks he can elevate our tackle play, irregardless of any possible conspiracies.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006   #20
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Actually, I had the same concerns when it came to Wand/Spencer. Wand played well during the preseason, but would then be benched for Spencer, who would come in and play decent, but not well. Once again, I'm seeing a player doing well, but then being benched for a player who is giving sub-par play. I don't get it, either, except to say that loyalties, rather than ability, are the governing factor in who plays on the line. If you are from A&M, Denver, Green Bay, or were drafted this year, then you have a good shot of starting, regardless of your abilities. If you aren't one of those three, you may find your butt riding the pine, or worse, watching the games from home.

That Weigert was beat a few times this game is an understatement. He's been beat consistently since opening day. Salaam, too (since he came in). I don't doubt that they are giving it their all. I doubt that "their all" is enough to stop a rush and work the running game.

There are still just as many issues with this line as there were last year. If the idea is to put Winston in at tackle, I think it is time to commit to it and stop lollygagging with the position.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read