Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 10-30-2006   #1
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 226347 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Question about Kevin Kolb

I'd like to know how many of you feel like Kolb might be a fit for the Texans and/or why he wouldn't be. It's just something I'm wondering about and I'd like to know what the rest of the posters on the board think about it. Is he a physical "fit" for what Kubiak does? Is there anything about him that would not work well here?
Old 10-30-2006   #2
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Question about Kevin Kolb

he'd be a good fit. good size, good mobility, throws just as well outside of the pocket as inside, good arm, good instincts...
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006   #3
gwallaia

Rep Power: 63494 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

Allow me.

At 6'-3" and 225 pounds, Kevin Kolb has the size to be an NFL QB. He is the smartest QB I have ever seen and is cool as a cucumber under pressure. Rarely makes bad decisions. He has 22 TDS this season and only 3 ints. The three interceptions have all been tipped balls off his receivers.

Not necessarily a fleet footed QB but avoids pressure and is a master at getting rid of the ball with a quick release. He also has a strong arm that will rifle the ball downfield.

He has outstanding character to boot.

http://uhcougars.cstv.com/kevinkolb/

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006   #4
Lucky

Rep Power: 120321 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Kolb will be a 1st round pick (late teens-early 20's). Here are a couple of big time throws from Kolb.

Threading the needle

Deep across the field

Kolb is in a typical gimmick college offense, so a smart team will sit him for a year or two. Physically, he has the tools NFL teams look for in a QB.
Old 10-30-2006   #5
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia View Post
is cool as a cucumber under pressure.
Never underestimate the coolness of a cucumber.

I do need to give him a look see.
Old 10-30-2006   #6
gwallaia

Rep Power: 63494 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

And another point about KK.

When the Coogs are on defense I will observe Kolb on the sidelines. He is very respectful of the coaches and his fellow teammates. Each time I see him on the sidelines he is going over details with the coaching staff and offensive team. If he and the receiver are not on the same page during a play, you will never see Kolb yelling at the receiver. It is always a two-way conversation trying to determine what went wrong, not who is to blame.

Kevin Kolb has what all quarterbacks should have,...leadership skills.

We are among the "Them"
Old 10-30-2006   #7
gwallaia

This Saturday will be Kevin's last home game at Robertson Stadium.
If you want to see him, kick-off is at 2:30 against #27 Tulsa.

We are among the "Them"
Sponsored links
Old 10-30-2006   #8
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I think Kolb will be a 1st round pick (late teens-early 20's).

Kolb is in a typical gimmick college offense, so a smart team will sit him for a year or two. Physically, he has the tools NFL teams look for in a QB.
I really don't think Kolb will be a 1st round pick at all, and I'm not even sure he will be a first-day pick. That has nothing to do with him as a QB, more of he plays for UofH.

I like Kolb, and wouldn't mind drafting him in the 4th to groom him. I think he will be a very good QB if allowed to develop.
Old 10-30-2006   #9
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

the fact that he plays for houston is a moot point; scouts know how good he is. besides, it's not like he plays at some small technical school in montana. i imagine he'll be the first QB taken in the 2nd round.
Old 10-30-2006   #10
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post
the fact that he plays for houston is a moot point; scouts know how good he is. besides, it's not like he plays at some small technical school in montana. i imagine he'll be the first QB taken in the 2nd round.
I wouldn't be so generous with your projections. This year there are a lot of top talent QB's including Kolb. Unfortunatly for Kolb, he plays in a spread offense and will need to sit a year or two. Think Omar Jacobs when you think Kolb. Great size, great presence, great arm, great accuracy, quick release, great numbers, consistant...but they both are not ready for the NFL at draft time. Look for Kolb to go close to where Jacobs went.
Old 10-30-2006   #11
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

that's not a good comparison at all. omar jacobs was a FIRST ROUNDER before he stunk it up during his injury-filled junior season. kolb's stock has only gotten higher this season. if jacobs played as well as he did during his sophomore compaign he would've been a 1st/2nd rounder.
Old 10-30-2006   #12
D-Vizzl
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 D-Vizzl is on the Pro-Bowl ballotD-Vizzl is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Not counting juniors Kolb is in the top 5 of QB's coming out next year, that's at the most middle of the second round right now. It's about more than his playing ability, supply and demand if you will, and he won't make it to the third round undrafted.
Old 10-30-2006   #13
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think he'll be a first round pick. I see him as a 2nd or 3rd rounder. I think we have bigger holes than QB to spend a 1st day draft pick on him (or any other QB). But heck, if we decide to go in a different direction, then I wouldn't mind seeing him drafted by us.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006   #14
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 226347 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

For the record I tend to agree with you TexanSam. My question was more of a "what if things go badly downhill with Carr from here on out?" kind of thing.

Also I have watched him a couple of times and I think Kolb could turn into a really good NFL QB. I just wondered what the rest of you thought.
Old 10-30-2006   #15
real

I watched Kolb play once, and I came away impressed...

Good Size, Good arm, Poised....Good mobility....

I think he's successful at the next level...
Old 10-30-2006   #16
Lucky

Rep Power: 120321 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
This year there are a lot of top talent QB's including Kolb.
Other than Brady Quinn, who are these top talent QBs? Stanton and Brohm have been disappointments. I think Kolb's athleticism & arm will put him in the top 3 or 4 QBs after the all star games, combine, and pro days. And 3 or 4 QBs are usually taken in the 1st round.
Old 10-30-2006   #17
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Other than Brady Quinn, who are these top talent QBs? Stanton and Brohm have been disappointments. I think Kolb's athleticism & arm will put him in the top 3 or 4 QBs after the all star games, combine, and pro days. And 3 or 4 QBs are usually taken in the 1st round.
Some of the top QB's in no order:

Quinn, Brohm, Stanton, Henne, Leak, T Smith, Ainge if he comes out, Kolb. Thats just a quick, off the top of my head, list without actually looking for info.
Old 10-30-2006   #18
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

From what I have seen from Kevin Kolb he seems like a QB who knows how to read defenses pretty well. He has the ability to make what seems like every throw and he also has the ability to run a little bit. Seems like a good fit with our rollouts and Kubiaks open mind in offensive playcalling. IMO he is a top QB prospect behind only Brady Quinn and Troy Smith. I think he would fit in well with our team but I don't think he will fit in well with our draft. He is likely to go off in the first 2 rounds, and I doubt we would take him in the 1st or even 2nd round unless we had completely given up on Carr at that point.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006   #19
GanadoUHCoog
Rookie

Kolb has been great in Briles' system. He would excel in a play-action....hey what do you know? Kubiak! system.

However he has yet to prove he can consistently play great in a pro system with a lot of pocket passing.

He has the size, arm strength, and is an underated athlete.

The only question is if his true talent is a little overated because he has been in Briles' system for 8 years....I don't think so.
GanadoUHCoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006   #20
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Other than Brady Quinn, who are these top talent QBs? Stanton and Brohm have been disappointments.
brohm hasn't disappointed at all.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read