Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-30-2006   #1
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default "But Gary, you told me we could win with David" ?

If it gets to the place where Kubiak wants to bench Carr for the season,
its got to cross his mind that his boss, Bob McNair, will ask him that question. And remind him that his reply that the Kubiak could make it work with Carr
was one of the main reasons he got his HC job with the Texans.
And in addition, McNair passed up the greatest marketing opportunity any
sports franchise owner has ever had by not drafting Houston native Vince Young. Not to mention his apparent potential as a successful QB.
Lot of politics involved here.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006   #2
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 150814 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: "But Gary, you told me we could win with David" ?

He told McNair what he wanted to hear . You can't blame a guy for trying .
Old 10-30-2006   #3
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

I would like to think that Kubiak's and McNair's main mission is to field a winning team. Yesterday was a gigantic step in that mission in my opinion. We will soon see what Carr has to offer this team. If he is not up to it, the rebuilding process has already begun due to a terrific draft. Yesterday gave me and many a taste of optimism as failure is apparently an option not a method.
Old 10-30-2006   #4
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 150814 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

The problem is , who is going to certify that its a duck . It may look , quack , waddle , and drop its junebug like a duck but who gets final say about calling it a duck .

It will take some real guts to pull the plug on this little getting timeout session and start Sage because of the VY backlash ... Reggie's kinda outa of the picture now . If they start Sage they better win and Mario better be lights out .
Old 10-30-2006   #5
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

I would like to see us trade Carr for a 2nd round pick (Which I know he is worth) then grab a QB like Stanton in the 2nd, or Kolb in the 3rd. Let him sit for a year or 2 while we have Sage, and build up a QB the right way. Not trial by fire.

thinking like this makes me sick that we passed on Vince.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006   #6
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 290612 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Kubiak will keep testing Carr for the rest of this season. And that's what we've seen this season, Kubiak evaluating our starting QB to see if he really has what it takes to lead this team to the playoffs and beyond.

Kubiak is not going to hitch his wagon (career) to a horse (Carr) that won't pull it. Trust me. Kubiak is much more dynamic and driven than to allow a marketing-obsessed owner to dictate who to play.

Carr will have another big test against the Giants next weekend. Kubiak wants to know how he'll respond to the challenge of competition and the heat of being benched. I have no doubt that if Carr fails to be consistent and driven this season, he'll be playing for some other team next season.
Old 10-30-2006   #7
DarkNinja
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
If it gets to the place where Kubiak wants to bench Carr for the season,
its got to cross his mind that his boss, Bob McNair, will ask him that question. And remind him that his reply that the Kubiak could make it work with Carr
was one of the main reasons he got his HC job with the Texans.
And in addition, McNair passed up the greatest marketing opportunity any
sports franchise owner has ever had by not drafting Houston native Vince Young. Not to mention his apparent potential as a successful QB.
Lot of politics involved here.

Oh my did someone understand my theory on why V. Young should be our QB?? (In earlier post) Hmm, I think LP Stadium was covered with how many #10 jerseys?? Oh gee, that money could have spent 3 times that amount just between Houston and Austin. But I guess McNair, Casserly, and Kubes didn't want that BIG of a market to be the face of the team. Would have made alot more money than R. Bush jerseys bought with FEMA money! Oh yeah there are some politics here that the administrative staff don't won't to mention.
DarkNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-30-2006   #8
phan1
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
He told McNair what he wanted to hear . You can't blame a guy for trying .
Yeah, I guess you want the job 1st. Deal with Carr 2nd.
phan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006   #9
phan1
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkNinja View Post
Oh my did someone understand my theory on why V. Young should be our QB?? (In earlier post) Hmm, I think LP Stadium was covered with how many #10 jerseys?? Oh gee, that money could have spent 3 times that amount just between Houston and Austin. But I guess McNair, Casserly, and Kubes didn't want that BIG of a market to be the face of the team. Would have made alot more money than R. Bush jerseys bought with FEMA money! Oh yeah there are some politics here that the administrative staff don't won't to mention.
Sorry, but I like it when teams make personnel decisions based on putting a winning team together. Maybe you should become an Arizona Cardinals fan? They have a nack for going where the money is. New Orleans is a good option too.
phan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006   #10
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

What I don't understand is why the Texans extended David Carr's contract 3 years, when they had a 2 year option. I'm a David Carr supporter and I think he will succeed, but I still thought it was odd for them to give him 3 more years.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006   #11
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 209602 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
What I don't understand is why the Texans extended David Carr's contract 3 years, when they had a 2 year option. I'm a David Carr supporter and I think he will succeed, but I still thought it was odd for them to give him 3 more years.
Same reason we put the option in in the first place. He has the measurables to be a very good NFL QB. If he was a probowl QB in his first 4 years, we could have locked him up for another 3 at a bargain, relatively speaking.

If Kubiak is able to make him the next Elway(or whatever Kubiak is supposed to make him), $8 million is cheap.
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006   #12
cbnjwill
Veteran

dude i know you didnt say the next elway..... you better hope atleast for the next jake plummer. elway one of the greatest ever the only hope carr has to be that good would be on playstation.
cbnjwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006   #13
SESupergenius

Young was by far not impressive yesterday, their offense didn't do much at all against one of the worst defenses in the league. This comparision win of Vincy Young couldn't be farther from the truth. We also passed on many good QB's throughout the years. I agree that drafting VY would have been a marketing success, but really, where were you after Carr beat the Jags?
Old 10-30-2006   #14
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESupergenius View Post
where were you after Carr beat the Jags?
Carr didn't beat the Jags all by himself. He had a nice game though.

The defense played great in the first half and gave the offense a short field several times in the second half to put the game out of reach.

Not to mention, the Jags didn't have their tough DT and had a QB playing on 1 leg.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006   #15
Johnny Utah
All Pro

Kubiak can easily get out of his statement simply by making another one. All he has to tell McNair is that he still thinks he can win with Carr, but Sage gives us a better chance to win.
Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006   #16
Stampede
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 Stampede is on the Pro-Bowl ballotStampede is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Kubiak can easily get out of his statement simply by making another one. All he has to tell McNair is that he still thinks he can win with Carr, but Sage gives us a better chance to win.
That should work.
Stampede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006   #17
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

My whole theory, if anyone cares, is that Carr has a ceiling, after 5 years, as a "good" QB. He will have one really good game with some horrible ones and that is what you get. If you can get him to manage a game then the other talent can take over. However, that isn't going to work for the Texans and we still aren't sure if the "good" can become consistent. As we saw yesterday, you can have a guy like Sage who can stay calm under pressure and make the necessary plays. His pocket presence was noticeably different than Carrs...they way he slid in the pocket, etc. The Texans should have and now should draft a guy they want to groom. They need someone that can lead. I'm sorry but this experiment will continuously keep blowing up in the Texan's face if they keep pressing it.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006   #18
NATHANHALE
Veteran

never mind
NATHANHALE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006   #19
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72459 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Kubiak is not going to hitch his wagon (career) to a horse (Carr) that won't pull it. Trust me. Kubiak is much more dynamic and driven than to allow a marketing-obsessed owner to dictate who to play.
Marketing-obsessed? Dude, if McNair were marketing obsessed, he would have drafted Vince Young in a heartbeat. He admitted as much on a TV interview. (I'll try to find a link if you want) He also said that if he just did what the fans wanted, he would have taken Vince.

Now, he must be a better man than me, because if it were me that owned the Texans, I would have probably knuckled under and succumbed to the fan and media pressure, and said, "Here! If you want him so bad, OK fine, I'll go against what I think is my better judgement on how to put a winning football team on the field, and go ahead and draft Vince, just to call the dogs off!"

But this owner doesn't give a tinkers damn about marketing. Now, you may think I'm crazy for saying this, But I kinda respect that.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006   #20
TPIMP
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
Becuase he didn't promise we would win with Carr this season. This is the first year of a rebuilding project.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read