Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-29-2006   #1
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer
Default Too funny

This message board is just too funny. One day ago, there were several people talking about how great David Carr is and how he is a potential pro bowler this season.

He has a bad game and now people are talking about him like he couldn't start ahead of Aaron Brooks.

Sage played well and had a few nice touchdowns, but what is the difference between the three touchdowns that Sage had against the Titans when the score was 21-3 and the three touchdowns that David Carr had against the Colts when the score was 30-3?

Carr rightfully was benched for having so many turnovers (wasn't this the accountability that we and Carr asked for?), but this does not mean that Carr is going to be traded at the end of the season.

There is no changing of the guard, Kubiak sent a message to Carr that turnovers are not acceptable and I'm sure that Carr got that message after watching the second half from the sidelines.

I suggest that everyone calm down, take a deep breath, step away from the computer, and watch some TV or read a book for several hours.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006   #2
austintexanite
All Pro

Default Re: Too funny

nice
austintexanite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006   #3
Dime
Hall of Fame

The main problem people (I have) is inconsistant play from Carr. He can play AWESOME for a quarter of football making many good decisions, good vision, and excellent ball placement (this year only here folks), only to come out the next quarter making horrible calls, placement, etc. He has the chance and the vision to be a awesome qb.. but reminds me of the Mr Jeckal and Mr Hyde syndrome. He has improved greatly from the last 4 years this year.. but he still has flashs of horrible play.

Today, he showed an example of the horrible play. And so he was sitting thinking about it. Right now, it is Carrs position to lose. He was rattled today. You could see it. Is that enough to wake him up to the seriousness of his plight?. I dont know.
Only Carr and time can tell. We just know he is running out of time.
Old 10-29-2006   #4
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dime View Post
The main problem people (I have) is inconsistant play from Carr. He can play AWESOME for a quarter of football making many good decisions, good vision, and excellent ball placement (this year only here folks), only to come out the next quarter making horrible calls, placement, etc. He has the chance and the vision to be a awesome qb.. but reminds me of the Mr Jeckal and Mr Hyde syndrome. He has improved greatly from the last 4 years this year.. but he still has flashs of horrible play.

Today, he showed an example of the horrible play. And so he was sitting thinking about it. Right now, it is Carrs position to lose. He was rattled today. You could see it. Is that enough to wake him up to the seriousness of his plight?. I dont know.
Only Carr and time can tell. We just know he is running out of time.

Old habits are hard to forget. Especially ones that you have been doing for the past 4 years without any criticism from coaches. But like you have said, his improvement is impressive.
Old 10-29-2006   #5
rockabilly
Veteran

Rep Power: 433 rockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=tulexan;483788]This message board is just too funny. One day ago, there were several people talking about how great David Carr is and how he is a potential pro bowler this season.

He has a bad game and now people are talking about him like he couldn't start ahead of Aaron Brooks.

Sage played well and had a few nice touchdowns, but what is the difference between the three touchdowns that Sage had against the Titans when the score was 21-3 and the three touchdowns that David Carr had against the Colts when the score was 30-3?

QUOTE]

The difference is that the Titans starters were still in....and the game which initially was waaay out of reach, was lost by 6 points. If Sage had another minute, there is no doubt in my mind that we may have seen a great comeback for a victory.

I love Carr to death. But he played poorly. Sage played amazing. You have to reward Sage for that.
rockabilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006   #6
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

I was very high on Carr before the Titans game.

But our biggest enemy right now is ourselves.. we are struggling with consistancy, and we cant afford to have the most important player on our offense laying an egg like this.

Everyone on this team went out there and played hard.. and Carr was the only guy that didnt have his head in the game. Carr LOST this game for us. We COULD have been 3-4 right now with the easiest part of our schedule coming up.. we COULD be talking about how we are one win from .500 and already having a better year than last year. The only reason we ARENT doing that, is Carr.

That is just not going to fly. Before.. when Carr had a bad game..it wasnt JUST him. We had so many other problems that it was easy to see why we didnt pull out the win.. it was a group effort. We are a team trying to find itself, and having a QB that will drag the whole team down against what SHOULD have been an easy win.. at a time like this.. its unforgivable.

The part that irks me is that he has been the very picture of consistency. I mean, yah he has had on and off quarters.. but for the most part those issues could be linked to OTHER factors. Like the defense staying on the field for too long, WRs dropping passes... the line not providing the blocking needed to establish a run game and keep defenses honest..etc..etc..etc..

Carr has looked better every week and then he lays an egg... it doesnt give me much hope for him as the guy that will take us to the superbowl. This team isnt good enough to win despite Carr sucking.

Anyway im repeating myself.

We have a coach that KNOWS how to make winning QBs.. I think we need to let him draft one in this next draft, and start grooming a replacement. We have seen what Kubiak can do with ruined QBs.. he did it with Plummer and now he is done it with Carr... now I want to see what he can do with a guy that ISNT already flawed.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006   #7
tulexan
Hall of Fame

So Carr allowed a punt return for a touchdown? AJ had some big drops too.
Sponsored links
Old 10-30-2006   #8
South Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 South Texan is on the Pro-Bowl ballotSouth Texan is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan View Post
Old habits are hard to forget. Especially ones that you have been doing for the past 4 years without any criticism from coaches. But like you have said, his improvement is impressive.
Let's hope he got the message today that this is a new regime. A football game is four quarters long, and unlike boxing you can't take a round off.

Gotta admit, with the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly this is turning into a real rollercoaster of a year.
South Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006   #9
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Fact of the matter is that the Titans were having a heck of a time moving the ball on us.

Take away the awesome field position, and fumble for a touchdown that carr is responsible for..and we win the game.. despite the 2 crucial AJ drops, and the punt return for a TD.
Old 10-30-2006   #10
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid View Post
Fact of the matter is that the Titans were having a heck of a time moving the ball on us.

Take away the awesome field position, and fumble for a touchdown that carr is responsible for..and we win the game.. despite the 2 crucial AJ drops, and the punt return for a TD.

Basically, if you take away pretty much any of the turn overs, we win, whether they were Carr's or not.

We dominated this game big time, but we shot our selves in the foot 5 times and had a boatload of penalties. If you are -5 on turnovers, you don't win in the NFL, in fact if you -2 on turn overs you will lose 90% of the time.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006   #11
David23
Rookie

So let me get this straight
Quote:
"Everyone on this team went out there and played hard.. and Carr was the only guy that didnt have his head in the game. Carr LOST this game for us."
So AJ had some crucial drops, our special teams allowed a punt return, and Salaam couldn't block and had 3 bad false start penalties, but Carr lost this game for us by himself. What game were you watching, no one game is won or lost by just one players' effort.
David23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006   #12
Grid
Hall of Fame

ill give you Salaam.

AJ did have 2 bad drops but had plays that made up for it.

Our oline struggled at times. But this has all been discussed in another thread.

Fact of the matter is that if Carr had come out and played HALF as good as he played the 4-5 weeks previous, we would have come away with an easy win. But Carr came in and hardly played at all.. his head wasnt in the game, and it cost us the win.
Old 10-30-2006   #13
valleytexfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 275 valleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan View Post
This message board is just too funny. One day ago, there were several people talking about how great David Carr is and how he is a potential pro bowler this season.

Carr rightfully was benched for having so many turnovers (wasn't this the accountability that we and Carr asked for?), but this does not mean that Carr is going to be traded at the end of the season.

There is no changing of the guard, Kubiak sent a message to Carr that turnovers are not acceptable and I'm sure that Carr got that message after watching the second half from the sidelines.

I suggest that everyone calm down, take a deep breath, step away from the computer, and watch some TV or read a book for several hours.
here, here. We're still rebuilding, fellas. No matter what happens. This year is not a waste just yet.
valleytexfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006   #14
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 95473 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
We have a coach that KNOWS how to make winning QBs.. I think we need to let him draft one in this next draft, and start grooming a replacement. We have seen what Kubiak can do with ruined QBs.. he did it with Plummer and now he is done it with Carr... now I want to see what he can do with a guy that ISNT already flawed.
Why should we draft another unproven rookie and wait some more years for Kubiak to "groom a replacement"? What exactly is Sage's "flaw"?
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006   #15
Grid
Hall of Fame

Sage's flaw is that he lacks any "outstanding" features.

His greatest strength is his ability to be incredibly average. He has an arm that is neither weak nor strong.. his generalship is neither good nor bad.. his mobility is satisfactory, being neither a weakness, nor a threat to defenses. etc..etc..etc..

Sage is an outstanding backup QB. I am as hard pressed to find a weakness with him as I am to find a strength. He is not a game manager like Brady or Delhomme, he is not a general like Favre or Manning, he is not a playmaker like Vick or McNabb.... so that is why I say draft someone.

Kubiak can start from scratch..building the QB he needs.. and if we can use a high pick on him..he will be a guy that has a strength other than "he doesnt make too many mistakes".
Old 10-30-2006   #16
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 95473 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Sage's flaw is that he lacks any "outstanding" features.

His greatest strength is his ability to be incredibly average. He has an arm that is neither weak nor strong.. his generalship is neither good nor bad.. his mobility is satisfactory, being neither a weakness, nor a threat to defenses. etc..etc..etc..

Sage is an outstanding backup QB. I am as hard pressed to find a weakness with him as I am to find a strength. He is not a game manager like Brady or Delhomme, he is not a general like Favre or Manning, he is not a playmaker like Vick or McNabb.... so that is why I say draft someone.

Kubiak can start from scratch..building the QB he needs.. and if we can use a high pick on him..he will be a guy that has a strength other than "he doesnt make too many mistakes".
I dunno . . . I've been watching football for over 40 years, and what I saw from Sage today is plenty enough for me. Sorry, I don't want to wait any longer to see if some high paid unproven rookie works out.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006   #17
wolf123
All Pro

Rep Power: 2802 wolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
I dunno . . . I've been watching football for over 40 years, and what I saw from Sage today is plenty enough for me. Sorry, I don't want to wait any longer to see if some high paid unproven rookie works out.
I have to disagree with you about Sage. Yes, he played very well today, but like someone said above, lacks the ability to produce beyond "adequacy". For one, the majority of his deep balls today were overthrown, lacking the "touch" that someone earlier claimed he has as well as throwing high and behind AJ, Moulds, and Daniels, but each made spectacular adjustments to catch these ERRANT throw. He also clearly lacked the time management needed to make the run at the end, possibly due to lack of practice but who really knows.

By blaming the ENTIRE loss on Carr, which I don't believe you did Marcus, is exagerating. I see your point, but drives were killed by more than just Carr's play while he was in. There were a couple drops, one by Daniels on 3rd and 4, and one or two by AJ and Lundy, that killed several drives as well. Another point is, other than Salaam who was horrible, Weigart was getting SLAUGHTERED by VanderBosch. On the two fumbles, Carr had a five step drop, I believe, took a step up into the pocket and was crushed from Van on Weigart side. Carr made have held the ball too long in past sacks and even the final fumble of today, but the tackles we had out there today did not create the pocket that they did for Sage, this is most likely due to the lack of blitzing when Sage came in. The punt return was also a nasty addition to this mess of a game, or the blocked extra point.
wolf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006   #18
wolf123
All Pro

Rep Power: 2802 wolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respected

Did anyone else notice that Ten had gameplanned for Carr's rollouts, guarding each one almost perfectly, but Sage's couple were completely un-guarded. Sage was only really rushed once, but he did an excellent job of rolling left and finding the open man, i believe was Daniels on this instance. Just an observation.
wolf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006   #19
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf123 View Post
Did anyone else notice that Ten had gameplanned for Carr's rollouts, guarding each one almost perfectly, but Sage's couple were completely un-guarded. Sage was only really rushed once, but he did an excellent job of rolling left and finding the open man, i believe was Daniels on this instance. Just an observation.
That's what happens when you beat teams deep in the seam and over the linebacker drop. Other things open up since you can't be everywhere all the time...Teams will take away what you do best so you have to be able to beat them in different ways. You really tell the defense how to defense you by either throwing almost all your passes underneath or rolling out on the vast majority of your passes. I think that if Carr was better in the pocket he would have more space on the edge. You can't take away everything.

The great thing about football is that their is a countermeasure for everything...but remember that Offense is creative and defense is destructive. You have to do more than one thing well or the defense will destroy what you do well and force you to beat them with what you don't do well. Historically, Carr struggles in the pocket. Apparently Sage doesn't.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006   #20
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf123 View Post
I have to disagree with you about Sage. Yes, he played very well today, but like someone said above, lacks the ability to produce beyond "adequacy". For one, the majority of his deep balls today were overthrown, lacking the "touch" that someone earlier claimed he has as well as throwing high and behind AJ, Moulds, and Daniels, but each made spectacular adjustments to catch these ERRANT throw. He also clearly lacked the time management needed to make the run at the end, possibly due to lack of practice but who really knows.

By blaming the ENTIRE loss on Carr, which I don't believe you did Marcus, is exagerating. I see your point, but drives were killed by more than just Carr's play while he was in. There were a couple drops, one by Daniels on 3rd and 4, and one or two by AJ and Lundy, that killed several drives as well. Another point is, other than Salaam who was horrible, Weigart was getting SLAUGHTERED by VanderBosch. On the two fumbles, Carr had a five step drop, I believe, took a step up into the pocket and was crushed from Van on Weigart side. Carr made have held the ball too long in past sacks and even the final fumble of today, but the tackles we had out there today did not create the pocket that they did for Sage, this is most likely due to the lack of blitzing when Sage came in. The punt return was also a nasty addition to this mess of a game, or the blocked extra point.
I agree, and lets not forget how bad salaam was getting beat by odom. then like magic sage comes in the game and because odom is now injured in the lockeroom, the pressure on the oline is reduced by half. now sage gets 3 seconds to read the field and he does well, surprise surprise.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read