Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 10-29-2006   #1
Dr. Toro
All Pro

Rep Power: 10 Dr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballotDr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Default Big Ben

6 TD and 11 INT on the year. He's got a great line, tons of weapons (Ward, Miller, Holmes, Parker) a great staff and Batch has been perfect in his absence. With all the stuff he's gone through, motorcycle, weight loss, appendix, and now concussion I think he needs 2 or 3 weeks off to sit on the bench, get back into the weight room and try to get some of that weight back on and just get a clean slate. Pittsburgh can win without him, but he's clearly the guy long term. He needs a little R&R time, IMO. Otherwise, he might just descend into a downward spiral of questionable decisions, shaky confidence, and injuries. It would be a shame.
Dr. Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006   #2
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 26409 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Big Ben

Don't know why he played today.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006   #3
Dr. Toro
All Pro

Rep Power: 10 Dr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballotDr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Didn't see the game, but I assume the pick 6's were some horrible decisions... at least the 100-yarder.

I get the fact that he's a gamer and "lives on the edge"... but Cowher needs to do what's right for his franchise QB in the long term. To me, that seems like a nice little chat, assuring him that under no circumstance will he lose the job, but that he won't be playing for a few weeks to get back in shape and to get healthy. He was horrible all season... then had a good 3 quarters and was getting in a groove when he had his concussion... and now he seems as clueless as he was earlier.
Dr. Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006   #4
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 4279 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

He isn't a good QB. I've been saying that since last year....
Old 10-30-2006   #5
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

he's a great QB. having a bad year, on and off the field. he's too damn cocky for his own good, though.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006   #6
FirstTexansFan
The Unknown Fan

Rep Power: 29448 FirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to FirstTexansFan

My wife is from the Pittsburgh area, and of course a gigantic Steelers fan. How we've not divorced over this is beyond me, but we seem to somehow get through this aspect of our relationship We even went as far as to place a wager on the Pittsburgh/Texans game, and the winner would become a fan of the others team. She lost, but welched on her wager. Her disease is incurable so I have learned to overlook this fault in her. Anyway, I told her and I believe it has merit that Ben's problems are not lack of skill, but overconfidence on his part. He's been so successful his first two years in the league, he believes he can throw any pass and get away with it. Forcing the ball into coverage is a surefire way to interceptions. She seems to think his injuries are the issue, so once again we're at a stalemate. As an avid Oilers fan since the late 60's, I must state emphatically that the Steelers will always be the enemy for me. And please, don't suggest marriage counseling, unless you know a good one that can cure her illness <grin>
Dread-Head's #1 Fan, Because He Hates The Cowboys As Much As Me!
FirstTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006   #7
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post
he's a great QB. having a bad year, on and off the field. he's too damn cocky for his own good, though.
I don't think he's a great QB, but I think he is a good one. He's not on the Carson Palmer, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady level, but he's only a rung or two below. Everything that's happened off the field for him has to have had some type effect though. Sucks for the Steelers right now. They were the Super Bowl champs last year and as of right now are in the running for the top pick in the draft. Who would have thought they'd have the same record as the Titans, Texans, and the Raiders?

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-30-2006   #8
yourfavoritetexan42
Veteran

My opinion is that he is overrated and was just on a great team benefitting from their success and all their work they have put in while he was still in college. They had a great defense, a hall of fame back, a plethora of great WRs. A good young running back. The longest tenured coach with the same team. A great homefield and homefield advantage.

Are roethlisberger and bradshaw related?

I believe he is a decent qb...but I can name 10 other nfl qbs id rather above him, and maybe even more than 10.
yourfavoritetexan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006   #9
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

Well he almost got killed in a horrific motorcycle accident and then had his appendix removed.

I didn't know he had a concussion recently as well.

I think this is a physical thing. He rushed his recovery, I'm sure the team was all for him coming back and well now he's not doing well. Although I have a close friend who said the Steelers really miss the Bus. He was a great leader on the field and a terrific player.
WWJD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006   #10
Cincinnatikid
Veteran

I saw him play through college and now as a pro. He was good in college because of his accuracy. All through his nfl career he has had terrible accuracy. Half of his big plays are dump offs or long passes the receivers make plays on. He does not make very good decisions, and to be honest I think a lot of the great plays he has made the past two seasons were lucky.
Cincinnatikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006   #11
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnatikid View Post
. He does not make very good decisions, and to be honest I think a lot of the great plays he has made the past two seasons were lucky.
I don't think you can luck your way into a superbowl...

I haven't watched him a lot but what I like about Ben, and what I think makes him good, is his pocket presence....He has excellent pocket presence and when he does feel pressure he does a good job of escaping and either making plays with his feet or finding the open reciever....I don't know about how accurate he is, but it's not like he's throwing the ball terrible...I think he's a second tier guy behind the Brady's, Mannings, and McNabb's of the world....
Old 11-01-2006   #12
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstTexansFan View Post
Anyway, I told her and I believe it has merit that Ben's problems are not lack of skill, but overconfidence on his part. He's been so successful his first two years in the league, he believes he can throw any pass and get away with it. Forcing the ball into coverage is a surefire way to interceptions. She seems to think his injuries are the issue, so once again we're at a stalemate. As an avid Oilers fan since the late 60's, I must state emphatically that the Steelers will always be the enemy for me. And please, don't suggest marriage counseling, unless you know a good one that can cure her illness <grin>

I think you are both right. He is a little cocky and tries to force it, and his injuries are effecting his physical skills that allowed him to get away with stuff in the past.
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006   #13
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
I don't think you can luck your way into a superbowl...

I haven't watched him a lot but what I like about Ben, and what I think makes him good, is his pocket presence....He has excellent pocket presence and when he does feel pressure he does a good job of escaping and either making plays with his feet or finding the open reciever....I don't know about how accurate he is, but it's not like he's throwing the ball terrible...I think he's a second tier guy behind the Brady's, Mannings, and McNabb's of the world....
he hadthe best QB rating in the league last year after contact and when scrambling out of the pocket.
Old 11-01-2006   #14
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 4279 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
he hadthe best QB rating in the league last year after contact and when scrambling out of the pocket.
So you are saying that David Carr is a great QB?
Old 11-01-2006   #15
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansLucky13 View Post
So you are saying that David Carr is a great QB?
obviously that must be what i'm saying because i said something about ben roethlisberger.
Old 11-01-2006   #16
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Quote:
obviously that must be what i'm saying because i said something about ben roethlisberger.
Alright smartie pants, you know what I meant. If you don't, I don't really care.

So here it goes again. According to you....

Ben Roethlisberger = Great QB = High QB Rating

So therefore this must be true....

High QB Rating = Great QB = David Carr

Big Ben plays for an awesome team and he makes big mistakes. He is not a "Great" QB, by a longshot. That doesn't mean he won't be a Great QB in the future, it just means he sucks right now, IMO.

Please answer my question intelligently so that I may avoid formulating a stereotype of Fins fans.
Old 11-01-2006   #17
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

i'd love to answer intelligently but your thinking is so concrete it makes it hard for me. i was simply replying to xtru's comment that roethlisberger is very good at throwing under pressure, as his QB rating in those situations reflected. you drew a lot of conclusions from one statement.
Old 11-01-2006   #18
real

Quote:
i'd love to answer intelligently but your thinking is so concrete it makes it hard for me. i was simply replying to xtru's comment that roethlisberger is very good at throwing under pressure, as his QB rating in those situations reflected. you drew a lot of conclusions from one statement.
I was thinking the exact same thing....
Old 11-01-2006   #19
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Big Ben is a solid QB. Last year opposing teams had to reaspect the run with FAST WILLIE PARKER picking up the big dashes and the flashy yards and THE BUS picking up 3rd and short and the important goal line yards. Without Bus, it is harder for the Steelers to convert on 3r and short. In the past they could simply ahnd it off to him and watch him pound in for a couple tough yards. Parker is a flashy speedy back and on 3rd and short its much harder for a quick back to get those yards.

Big Ben also has had several issues this offseason. I would storngly consider letting him sit a couple weeks and get back to it. In the offseason if I were Pit, I would look for a brusing back in the draft or in FA.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006   #20
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87841 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Throws for over 400 yds against the vaunted Broncos D.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read