Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-29-2006   #1
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 66612 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default First impressions thread.

Please put your first impressions post game here. Please, football talk and analysis only (in other words, save the junk talk for another thread). Lots of threads to sort through, and I was hoping to start one of these threads to read a lot of interesting stuff in one place.

Here is my Chronic first impression post. Did it really quick because the Chronic folks want something up fastLink: "Carr starting against Giants = talk radio vacation"

What say you?
Old 10-29-2006   #2
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: First impressions thread.

Carr choked. Rosenfels is made for this offense. This is by far the best draft class we've ever had. Carr choked.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006   #3
Bongo59
Veteran

Texans OL is the real culprit...............Carr needs a new address............I dont see him ever making it in Houston.......................Oh and the Titans ST has beaten the Texans an awfull lot since 2002.
Bongo59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006   #4
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 226347 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

The change at QB did the exact same thing that bringing Tony Banks in used to do (only Rosenfels is better than Banks was). It seemed to settle the rest of the offense down. When Carr was playing everything looked like it was happening in fast forward. When Sage came in our offense began playing at a steadier pace. The difference is really hard to miss.

My other observation is that the Texans look a lot like the Oilers of the mid to late 80's (before they started winning). I was sitting there watching the game thinking "I've seen this before...."
Old 10-29-2006   #5
NEROtheZERO
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 NEROtheZERO is on the Pro-Bowl ballotNEROtheZERO is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

I was very disappointed with Shepherd's return play. I thought we had something special in him but he played a horrible game. Anderson came in and filled in very nicely, I think he might have stolen that position from Shepherd after this game.

Our rookies play an outstanding game. Lundy and Daniels both had 100 yd games and Daniels had a pair of TDs. Mario isn't getting talked about for sacking VY and would probably be recieving a lot of heat if he didn't. He also had four tackles and effectively contained the running game. DeMeco was his usual self.

Carr's play was abysmal. I really like that Kubiak benched him in favor of Sage. Sage played great and we probably win if Sage starts. With that being said I think it is the right decision to start Carr next week. I think we need to give him a full season under Kubiak and see if he can string together some consistancy. If not I think we explore trading him in the offseason.

Overall I am liking what I am seeing. Our defense has made strides from week 1. We found a running game and our passing game is what it has been all season. Penalties and turnovers absolutely killed us this week but there is light at the end of the tunel. I like where we are sitting after another Kubiak offseason going into 2007.
NEROtheZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006   #6
JDizzle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3602 JDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respected

Wonger, did Carr choke? LOL.

I didn't click your link TC but my first impression is that next week is Carr's last chance at his job. Kubiak's post game declaration today was a last-ditch effort to get Carr's tail from between his legs and if he doesn't earn his $8 mil next week then he's done, and alot of fans with Carr jerseys will start spray-painting a "1" in front of the 8 and write Rosenfels on the back.
JDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006   #7
jteg25
Rookie

D-line played better..but how come there is always a wide open guy in the secondary against our d....safeties that bad? Lundy=Mike Anderson but we still need a a Terrell Davis. David gets till the end of the season to prove himself.
jteg25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-29-2006   #8
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

Our rookies rock. I wonder if we'll have our 4th rookie nominated for rookie of the week this week (Owen Daniels).

Reggie Bush threw more interceptions today than Vince Young.

My worst fears about David Carr's post-Capers mental state are coming true.

I still have no clue why we picked up Ron Dayne and traded Morency for Gado.

Our secondary was lucky that the Titans don't have a good receiving corps.
Old 10-29-2006   #9
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

1. The defense looks like it's starting to come together a little bit.

2. The running game looks like it's starting to come together. But you can see why Lundy had been on the bench by some of his blitz pickups. Or, at least, ATTEMPTS to pick up the blitz.

3. Rosenfels looked a lot better than Carr did. He looked cooler in the pocket and his throws looked better. He seemed to have better vision. Carr looked like he just fell to pieces at times. I've said before that my biggest fear for him is the psychological damage he's taken over the past 4 years. I was hoping that Kubiak was fixing that. I've been surprised by how well Carr has been playing but we can't give up fumbles like that.

Before the season, I'd been saying give Carr the entire season before judging him but now... I wouldn't be against Kubiak making the switch to Sage.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006   #10
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Both of our offensive tackles were dominated in the passing game. Even when they didn't give up sacks the defensive ends were getting hits on Carr. Their play was as bad as anyone else on the team.

Salaam and Weigert both need some time on the bench like Carr got, but the Texans have left themselves without that option. We are stuck with both of them, or at least one of them if Winston plays. The Texans need to make a roster move at tackle.

The running backs did pretty good in pass protection and helped Salaam out from looking even worse than he did.

Sage's pocket presence is much better than Carr's (given the small playing sample we had today). He can make the small moves within a collapsing "pocket" to give himself time and still make the play.
Old 10-29-2006   #11
Bongo59
Veteran

first post i completely agree with.
Bongo59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006   #12
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 66612 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
Salaam and Weigert both need some time on the bench like Carr got, but the Texans have left themselves without that option. We are stuck with both of them, or at least one of them if Winston plays. The Texans need to make a roster move at tackle.

The running backs did pretty good in pass protection and helped Salaam out from looking even worse than he did.

Sage's pocket presence is much better than Carr's (given the small playing sample we had today). He can make the small moves within a collapsing "pocket" to give himself time and still make the play.
The Carr to Rosenfels switch in the game is going to be the big news of the day. The horrible tackle play likely isn't going to get much run, but Salaam with THREE false starts. Granato said his knee was messed up, but I was hoping that Winston would have come in some more not just as an injury replacement, but also to penalize those mental mistakes. I guess that is more Sherman's call.

Oh, and it ain't likely to look much better in NJ.
Old 10-29-2006   #13
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 16683 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
The Carr to Rosenfels switch in the game is going to be the big news of the day. The horrible tackle play likely isn't going to get much run, but Salaam with THREE false starts. Granato said his knee was messed up, but I was hoping that Winston would have come in some more not just as an injury replacement, but also to penalize those mental mistakes. I guess that is more Sherman's call.

Oh, and it ain't likely to look much better in NJ.
TC, the Giants game will be this...

Texans opening drive - 3 or 7 pts,
Defense's opening drive - 3 and out or 1 1st down and then 3 and out...

after that...

Giants win.
Old 10-29-2006   #14
coachdent
Veteran

Rep Power: 14 coachdent was voted MVPcoachdent was voted MVPcoachdent was voted MVPcoachdent was voted MVPcoachdent was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to coachdent

I said this repeatedly during the game on the frustration links! I don't think I'll do that again. Not really for the serious thinkers, more the kneejerk negative Nancys. But here goes:

I am VERY upset at the formational packages that we use offensively. When David Carr was in the game, we were consistently in one and two wide receiver sets. There were times on third and four or five when we had two tight ends, a fullback and AJ on the field. NO teams in the NFL deploy this kind of nonsense.

For the better part of the 1st half, we had two wide receivers to the left side and ran nothing but fades and hitches. Six and seven yard dumps. Nothing vertical. No crossing routes. No digs. No curls. No outs.

Salaam could not block my grandmother and yet our running backs were chipping the frontside and then getting out into pattern for two to five yard dumps. Nothing downfield and no help with our backs. The one time our backs stayed in was when EVERYONE stayed in and AJ ran a drag on playaction. This was Carr's INT. Here is a detailed version of the problems of the play. Football knowledgable folks will see where I am coming from.

Playaction passes work when you sell the run. At that point in the game, the Texans had run three times for 11 yards. Hardly selling the run. The fake went to the right and Carr was trying to throwback to his left. AJ ran a crossing route and his was the only route on the play. Hope was the DB to the left who came underneath the route and picked off the pass. There was no route to hold Hope, so he dropped back.

Carr has a tendency to force the ball, especially to AJ. If I am an OC for the Texans, why would I draw up a play where AJ is the only option on the play? How can you run a crossing route that does not have anyone holding or occupying the corner on the left side? If the tight end to the left simply releases into the flat on a delay, Hope jumps that route and the play is a completion. The safety was over the top and the other two defenders were trailing AJ by 3-5 yards

When Sage came into the game, our formations immediately changed. The fullback went to the bench and we were in three and four wides. We ran the ball successfully out of one back. We threw the ball well. We also protected better. Some folks mentioned that Sage was better in the pocket than Carr. Carr didn't have a pocket. When you dink and dunk, defenses come at you and the Titans came after Carr. The Texans did not protect Carr at all.

The Denver Broncos run game and their zone game is a one back scheme. When you bring a fullback into the mix, he determines where the play is going. Linebackers flow like crazy to the point of attack and it bastardizes the zone.

Defensively, we were better at times. I would like to see Mario on the field more often. I don't buy into the rotation of the entire defensive line. We aren't the Philadelphia Eagles and there is no need for Mario to be on the bench. He played well today and was explosive off the ball.

The Texans did Tennessee a favor with sell out blitzes. No need for it. Why send house with a guy who can scramble? There was very little in terms of disguising the blitzes either to confuse Young, who is easily confused and who forces balls. Our DBs aren't the best in man-to-man coverage and were exposed far to often.

Vince's numbers were putrid for a NFL quarterback 7-15 for 87 yards is pathetic for a NFL quarterback. He will not be a top notch NFL quarterback. Yes he threw a TD to a guy who wasn't covered at all. (very similiar to the balls he threw in the Rose Bowl). He did scramble into the end zone when the Texans got out of their rush lanes on a blitz while Mario dropped off into coverage to spy the flat to the side the blitz came from! Stupid! If you bring the house from the right side with all of your linebackers, then you drop your DEnd from the other side to spy.

Our punt returners stunk and killed us in field position. AJ needed to show some better hands on the INT.

I'd like to see us employ more of the same sets we used with Sage late in the game and give Carr a little more to work with. He has improved, but we will never see how much he has improved with the shackles on him.

Still a number of wins on the table here this year. Looking ahead, we need a more viable third wide receiver and obviously offensive line help.
Old 10-29-2006   #15
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4560 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected

The O-line played bad, especially Weigert and Salaam. I think we should start getting Winston more reps and hope Charles Spencer has a quick recovery.

Defense is improving, which is a positive in my book. Meco is helping to kind of give this defense an identity. Mario is playing good defense but has a way to go still. Secondary needs improvement.

Carr should get one more chance. If he doesn't improve, put in Sage and leave him in.

Overall, I like where this teams heading. I wish to ***** that we would have won today, but they're improving. They pretty much beat themselves today. They had over 400 net yards and held Tenn. to 197. If I hadn't seen the game or heard the score and seen those stats, I would have thought Houston had won, but it shows you just how important it is to protect the ball. You can't win many games if you turn the ball over 5 times.
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006   #16
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

I was very optimistic for the future until I heard Carr would be starting next week. The defense continues to improve. The run game was there and in the second half I saw an NFL offense. Not sure what changes were made, but it looked pretty confident and we need to bottle that up.
Old 10-29-2006   #17
DenverBorn
Veteran

Positive: Mario aside, 2006 was a great draft. Ryans, Spencer, Lundy, Daniels and Anderson are all guys on whom we can build a team. I hope we have similar success next year drafting at OT, LB and S

Negative: David Carr is not the guy to lead this team consistently to victories. It's time to admit that to ourselves and begin a transition plan. As I said on another thread, I'd move Sage to the starting job and look to draft a QB next year
DenverBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006   #18
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

We had a 100 yard rusher.... early in the third QTr IIRC..... Why were we passing so much?? They couldn't move the ball on our defense if we didn't hellp them.... I wonder how much of the decision making Kubiak was making in Denver.

That's another game we lost due to poor decision making by the coaching staff.
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006   #19
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
We had a 100 yard rusher.... early in the third QTr IIRC..... Why were we passing so much?? They couldn't move the ball on our defense if we didn't hellp them.... I wonder how much of the decision making Kubiak was making in Denver.

That's another game we lost due to poor decision making by the coaching staff.
The QB is the coach's conduit to the field of play. The mess of the first half and our history was due to the guy under center. Once we got Sage in there only AJ messed up a great offensive half with two huge mistakes and then the great pass cuaght in the end zone that was out of bounds.
Old 10-29-2006   #20
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 45478 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

First impression??

Yeah, Carr had a bad day, but Mr. Kubiak, if you're going to pull Carr for having that bad day then why not freaking Salaam? Was actually worried when he got injured but kinda wish he'd not come back this game. I mean Shephard gets pulled for his bad play you have to yank 74 too.

Speaking of Shephard, what happen to standing on the 10 yard line and anything past you, you let go? Stupid mistakes all day long.

Back to Kubiak. How about installing a freaking 2 minute offense sometime this decade? A total lack of urgency on the last TD drive. You need 2 TD's and the team huddles?? Can't even get that last play off before the 2 minute warning? What the hell? Well, that comes back to bite you when you get the ball back with 4 freaking seconds. Brilliant!!

And what was the deal with going for 2? You know, the coaching staff didn't have a good day either.

Andre Johnson...CATCH THE DAMN BALL!!!!!

That's my 1st impression. Freaking disgusted with the total lack of effort from this joke of a football team. Losing is one thing....freaking GIVING games away PISSES ME OFF!!!!
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read