Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-29-2006   #1
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 91312 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected
Default So what's wrong with Sage????????

I keep reading all these posts saying Keep Sage at QB the rest of the season, and then draft a QB in the draft.

WHY?

Why is he not good enough to be our starting QB? Because he's a "backup"?

Why waste a high draft pick when Sage looks like he's the man for the job?
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006   #2
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: So what's wrong with Sage????????

I've considered myself a Carr supporter this season, but I really can't argue with starting Sage at this point.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006   #3
Johnny Utah
All Pro

We should start Sage the rest of the season and find out if he can be our starting QB of the future. If not, then just use our top pick next year on one.
Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006   #4
WhyIsItAlwaysNextYear
Veteran

Sage is not the answer he is a stop gap! If he were the answer he would still be in Miami. This team is not going to the playoffs so they better find out if they have a QB in Carr or not. This week was a disaster for Carr no doubt, however I think he is just a servicable under Kubiak as Jake (the mistake) Plummer was until Kubiak left Denver. Carr has show some positives up until today so you have to find out which is the real David Carr. Kubiak believes he can make him into a winning QB which up until today has seemed plausable. Pulling Carr was great today, it showed the team and the fans that players are accountable for their play on the field. This will also give an indication of what Carr is really made of, will he come back and respond with a good game? If so then maybe today was just Carr trying to do too much to prove he not VY was the right choice.
WhyIsItAlwaysNextYear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006   #5
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyIsItAlwaysNextYear View Post
Pulling Carr was great today, it showed the team and the fans that players are accountable for their play on the field. This will also give an indication of what Carr is really made of, will he come back and respond with a good game? If so then maybe today was just Carr trying to do too much to prove he not VY was the right choice.
I've heard Kubes' explanation and I can live with it. This is about the size of it. He'll come along. If not, he's at least got some trade value now.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006   #6
WhyIsItAlwaysNextYear
Veteran

I liek the way Kubiak handled Carr today. The NFL is full of fragile egos and coachs who dont have the full support of their ownership. Players in the NFL should be benched alot more often for poor performance but coachs know there will be hell to pay. Kubiak has Mcnairs trust and a I know how to win attitude that this team lacks. Carr and company came to an expansion team that lacked vetern leadership for them to learn from so the team is a blank slate of sorts for Kubiak to work with. The Texans are a poor team and Kubiak knows it and will do what it takes to fix it whether ego get bruised or not. He has called out Carr & Williams as well as openly questioned the running game. To me that s a beath of fresh air in a league full of spoiled athletes!
Old 10-29-2006   #7
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 91312 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Sage is not the answer . . .
Please explain why Sage wouldn't be the answer.

I saw a really good performance out there today, and no, I didn't consider that to be garbage time.
Sponsored links
Old 10-29-2006   #8
tsip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post

I saw a really good performance out there today, and no, I didn't consider that to be garbage time.
It's strange the way people form an opinion (here,about Sage) about a player that is negative when that player has not had the benefit of 70+ games to show what he can do...

Johnny Unitas was not a 'star' recruit out of Louisville, and was not forecasted to be one of (if not) the greatest QBs of all time.

Tom Brady was Drew Henson's backup at Michigan and was a 2nd day draft pick--go figure...

...so why is Sage 'automatically' not the next Unitas or Brady or whoever?

I agree with you Marcus. If Carr can produce 'right' now, great--but, if his legacy of unfullfilled promise continues to be the 'excuses' made for lack there of...time to try someone else...
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006   #9
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post

A lot of miscues today were by Carr.

But a whole lot of miscues were also committed by people NOT named David Carr.

Our whole team looked like the Dom Capers' squad for 3+ quarters today. That was some comical stuff, man.

AJ drops an easy pass from Rosenfels. Leads to a Titans TD.

AJ cannot hold onto a 3rd down pass. Leads to a Titans TD.

Salaam single-handedly destroyed multiple drives, sometimes at the very beginning of the drive.

Lundy trips on a screen pass to kill a drive.

Kubiak has forgotten that there's this thing called a "shotgun formation" which tends to help QBs a little bit when the oppsoing d line is running smooth over your o linemen. That o line looked like Dom Capers' did it not?

Still trying to figure out how we lost to THAT team. Embarassing.

And to lose 28-22, instead of 28-17 or some other score that at least puts it into proper perspective--That game was never THAT close, heck it looks like it was a squeaker or something. We did no deserve to have any chance whatsoever of winning that game. Glad we didn't. I would be embarassed for us to play that ugly and win that game.

Will the real Texans please show up consistently to the game every weekend?

At least our draft class is showing up. Good job, guys. Wish we had more of ya'.
Old 10-29-2006   #10
WhyIsItAlwaysNextYear
Veteran

He is a 50% completion guy with as many interceptions as TD's, I have a brother who is a die hard Dolphins fan and he was fooled by the way Sage would play when he would come in and play as the backup. Once a team watchs some film on Sage they seem to put a quick end to his magic. BUt thats not just Sage thats almost any back up QB, hell they are the popular guy on the team half the time. Just ask Leinart, Cutler, Romo, Sage etc. I dont have a problem Sage playing or even starting if Carr continues to tank but I am not convinced that he can be a starter in this league. Miami sure didnt put up much of a fight to keep him with Culpepper coming after an injury and they signed Harrington as his backup.
Old 10-29-2006   #11
texaslifter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshafer_1976 View Post
A lot of miscues today were by Carr.

But a whole lot of miscues were also committed by people NOT named David Carr.

Our whole team looked like the Dom Capers' squad for 3+ quarters today. That was some comical stuff, man.

AJ drops an easy pass from Rosenfels. Leads to a Titans TD.

AJ cannot hold onto a 3rd down pass. Leads to a Titans TD.

Salaam single-handedly destroyed multiple drives, sometimes at the very beginning of the drive.

Lundy trips on a screen pass to kill a drive.

Kubiak has forgotten that there's this thing called a "shotgun formation" which tends to help QBs a little bit when the oppsoing d line is running smooth over your o linemen. That o line looked like Dom Capers' did it not?

Still trying to figure out how we lost to THAT team. Embarassing.

And to lose 28-22, instead of 28-17 or some other score that at least puts it into proper perspective--That game was never THAT close, heck it looks like it was a squeaker or something. We did no deserve to have any chance whatsoever of winning that game. Glad we didn't. I would be embarassed for us to play that ugly and win that game.

Will the real Texans please show up consistently to the game every weekend?

At least our draft class is showing up. Good job, guys. Wish we had more of ya'.
You'd be embarrassed to win? Then get out, we don't want fans who don't want to win - REGARDLESS of how YOU think certain players played. How can you call yourself a texans fan and look at someone like Demeco after that performance and claim he doesn't desserve to win because Salaam is a chump or because Carr's pocket presence was lacking? Man, what are you even doing here?
texaslifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006   #12
WhyIsItAlwaysNextYear
Veteran

I know its off the Sage V. Carr topic but it hurts even worse to here talking heads like Shannon Sharpe say the Texans dominated the game but were killed by their sacks and turnovers. Nothing like the truth to make things worse! Maybe they could have added that the VY was only 7/15 for 87 yards, our special teams gave up a return for a Td and we had a XP blocked! If it didnt hurt so bad I would laugh!
Old 10-29-2006   #13
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 286048 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Sage is not the answer he is a stop gap! If he were the answer he would still be in Miami.
This is the kinda thinking that landed Delhomme in Carolina.... Farve in GreenBay.. Young in SanFran... etc...
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006   #14
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 286048 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I know its off the Sage V. Carr topic but it hurts even worse to here talking heads like Shannon Sharpe say the Texans dominated the game but were killed by their sacks and turnovers. Nothing like the truth to make things worse! Maybe they could have added that the VY was only 7/15 for 87 yards, our special teams gave up a return for a Td and we had a XP blocked! If it didnt hurt so bad I would laugh!
That's the sign of a young team learning how to win football games.

The glass is more full now than empty.

Keep your heads up Texans.....
Old 10-29-2006   #15
tsip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP

Quote:
He is a 50% completion guy with as many interceptions as TD's, I have a brother who is a die hard Dolphins fan and he was fooled by the way Sage would play when he would come in and play as the backup. Once a team watchs some film on Sage they seem to put a quick end to his magic. BUt thats not just Sage thats almost any back up QB, hell they are the popular guy on the team half the time. Just ask Leinart, Cutler, Romo, Sage etc. I dont have a problem Sage playing or even starting if Carr continues to tank but I am not convinced that he can be a starter in this league. Miami sure didnt put up much of a fight to keep him with Culpepper coming after an injury and they signed Harrington as his backup.
Stats are very similar for Carr and Sage thru today for their careers--Carr's completion is about 59%/Sage 52%, Sage's YAC is a half yd better than Carr's, Carr has thrown 1 more interception than td/Sage has thrown 2 more tds than intercepts...

Carr is starting material and Sage is not???...pretty weak (if there) theory here!!
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006   #16
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
This is the kinda thinking that landed Delhomme in Carolina.... Farve in GreenBay.. Young in SanFran... etc...
Exactly. If Carr doesn't cut it, and Sage plays well the rest of the season, then he deserves the job next season. Drafting a QB with a high draft pick would be a waste, considering all the other needs on this team, especially with the grooming of a rookie QB expecting to take years . . would be a silly move.
Old 10-29-2006   #17
Charter PSL Fan
Rookie

Yep, Carr played bad today with the fumbles and needed to come out. Sage played well but wait until the opps game plan for him. He is not the answer.
Old 10-29-2006   #18
blockhead83
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to blockhead83

Sage played very well today. This situation reminds me of Jake Delhomme. The guy was looked at as a career back-up until he got a chance to take the reigns in Carolina and never gave them back. If Sage can continue to play at the level he did today, I'd see no reason to go get a replacement for him. He doesn't have an elite arm or speed, but he makes things happen.
blockhead83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006   #19
Charter PSL Fan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by blockhead83 View Post
Sage played very well today. This situation reminds me of Jake Delhomme. The guy was looked at as a career back-up until he got a chance to take the reigns in Carolina and never gave them back. If Sage can continue to play at the level he did today, I'd see no reason to go get a replacement for him. He doesn't have an elite arm or speed, but he makes things happen.
I mean.
Old 10-29-2006   #20
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charter PSL Fan View Post
Yep, Carr played bad today with the fumbles and needed to come out. Sage played well but wait until the opps game plan for him. He is not the answer.
Good point..... backups always look good in the Preseason, and in relief roles..... you don't know what you got, until he is the man. I love Sage, but he hasn't been the man yet. .. TKyss

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read