Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-27-2004   #21
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249442 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I can totally agree with that SES. The Texans one truly great accomplishment from Sunday was that they just kept hanging in there. They weren't having a good day on offense, they weren't having a good day on defense. Their Special Teams weren't as bad as they had been in Detroit but they weren't anything "special" either. The Texans just kept plugging away and refused to let the Chiefs pull away from them. In the second half I think the Chiefs started feeling the pressure of just not being able to ditch these guys and get a good lead built up. They were supposed to win this one so all of the real pressure was on them. I feel like the Texans came out pretty tight and were putting a lot of pressure on themselves after the first two games and all the mistakes. By hanging in there they overcame it.

THAT I'm completely proud of. THAT is the team that kept coming back for more in 2002 and 2003. They showed up two games later than usual but at least they came to the dance right?
Old 09-27-2004   #22
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 52700 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Just goes to show you, it's not a game about stats, it's a game about making plays. The Texans made the plays they had to to win. The Chiefs didn't.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004   #23
Texansbacker
Veteran

I am just glad that the team showed some life, especially on defense and especially in the fourth quarter. Seth Payne appeared, slow, but began to show his talent towards the end and should round nicely into shape...Gary Walker too.....and even Robaire Smith with the big blocked pass.

Add in the exciting play of Peek and the solid if not spectacular play of Dunta Robinson and to a lesser extent Glenn Earl and we should have a defense that continues to get better.

After 3 games, our Texans have a ways to go, but they have proven they have them means to get there along with the will and the heart. Now it is up to them to get there and us (the fans) to the playoffs.

Right now however, I will settle for a second win in a row just so Carr can have a haircut! Oakland will be tough if they look like they did against Tampa on Sunday night.
Texansbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004   #24
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249442 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texansbacker
Oakland will be tough if they look like they did against Tampa on Sunday night.
They won't look like they did against Tampa on Sunday night. They're still going to be tough but no way do the Houston Texans stir up the Raiders like a visit (to their house no less, homegame to boot) from their old coach, wide reciever, and running back with the team that beat them in the Super Bowl that used to be the team that Warren Sapp used to play for. At least a little bit of a letdown is safe to expect.

It might only be a little bit of a letdown but it's going to be there I suspect. If we come to play it's a possible win (aren't they all) and if we don't then it's no haircut for DC for sure.
Old 09-28-2004   #25
done88
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Moderators don't give up their right to state their opinion. This isn't a cheer-club. Mods are simply members of this forum as you are. They just help keep the peace and enforce the rules. We are all equals here.
Everyone on this board has a right to their own opinion and the fact that fans here are trying to enjoy the win for a little while and don't need the board moderators raining on their parade is my opinion. If you have to take shots at least wait a couple of days. This "we are a moderator group" so we can gang up on a user is for the birds also. The fact of the matter is my argument is that unless they have the worst record in football then they are not the worst team in football and if the fans here are going to attack the Texans after a win then its going to be hard for this team to ever be successful.
Old 09-28-2004   #26
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96562 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by done88
Everyone on this board has a right to their own opinion and the fact that fans here are trying to enjoy the win for a little while and don't need the board moderators raining on their parade is my opinion. If you have to take shots at least wait a couple of days. This "we are a moderator group" so we can gang up on a user is for the birds also. The fact of the matter is my argument is that unless they have the worst record in football then they are not the worst team in football and if the fans here are going to attack the Texans after a win then its going to be hard for this team to ever be successful.
What you just typed makes no sense what so ever. Let me get this straight, so your opinion is that you don't want others to state their opinion, if you don't agree with it or it "rains on your parade". That sounds like censorship to me and totally contradicts with your "Everyone on this board has a right to their opinion" statement. but hey thats just my opinion.

- Edmund Burke
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004   #27
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by done88
Everyone on this board has a right to their own opinion and the fact that fans here are trying to enjoy the win for a little while and don't need the board moderators raining on their parade is my opinion. If you have to take shots at least wait a couple of days. This "we are a moderator group" so we can gang up on a user is for the birds also.
Let me make this more transparent since you did not grasp what I told you. The moderators are simply fans, exactly the same as you. This is a fan moderated forum and they speak their minds as fans of the Houston Texans, just like you. There is no "moderator group logic" that is used when they post their thoughts. The moderators are all individual fans of the team & exchange their personal thoughts on the Texans in the same manner as you.

Take some advice and stay on topic here. I enjoy your posts and enjoy your point of view but this is a football forum, so keep your comments to football talk when you exchange your views with your fellow fans in the bull pen please.
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-28-2004   #28
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Also, wasn"t it just 2nd down? If so, and we missed, I think we could have taken another shot at it because there was like 3 seconds left on the clock. Not sure, but I think that"s correct.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004   #29
Keldar
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783
Also, wasn"t it just 2nd down? If so, and we missed, I think we could have taken another shot at it because there was like 3 seconds left on the clock. Not sure, but I think that"s correct.
I think you are correct.

But, has ANYONE ever seen 2 field goal attempts in a row due to that strategy????? I'm not talking about due to a penalty, but 2 in a row due to attempting the first kick on 2nd or 3rd down, missing, then kicking again on 3rd or 4th if time is available. I'm not aware of that ever happening, at least I have never seen it or heard about it. What if you began kicking on first down????? If time permits, do you get 4 kicks?????????????
Keldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004   #30
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

You don't get more than one field goal attempt.

Quote:
Field Goal

1. All field goals attempted (kicker) and missed from beyond the 20-yard line will result in the defensive team taking possession of the ball at the spot of the kick. On any field goal attempted and missed where the spot of the kick is on or inside the 20-yard line, ball will revert to defensive team at the 20-yard line.
Link
infantrycak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004   #31
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

The only advantage to attempting a field goal before 4th down is if there is a bad exchange. If the kicker never attempts the kick and the ball isn't turned over then the team can get another down to try a field goal. If the kicker actually attempts a kick though, you only get one try (barring a penalty).
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004   #32
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

AHHHH, knew there had to be a catch. Thanks!

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004   #33
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre
The only advantage to attempting a field goal before 4th down is if there is a bad exchange. If the kicker never attempts the kick and the ball isn't turned over then the team can get another down to try a field goal. If the kicker actually attempts a kick though, you only get one try (barring a penalty).
I think there is also another exception. If the ball doesn't cross the line of scrimmage then it can be rekicked. That happened in a Pittsburgh game a couple years ago, but they may have changed the rule since then. I believe it was Reed who kicked the ball once only to have it blocked. It never passed the line of scrimmage and they got a chance to kick it again, and he made it.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004   #34
salinaspaul
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 salinaspaul was voted MVPsalinaspaul was voted MVPsalinaspaul was voted MVPsalinaspaul was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottle-O-Bud
Houston on the first week lost to the worst team in the league and on the second week we lost to the 2nd worst team in the lleague.
Apparently, they are now not the worst and 2nd-worst teams in the league. Seems as of today, KC is tied with Miami for worst, as far as records go. :hehe:
salinaspaul is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read