Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 10-29-2006   #1
Dr. Toro
All Pro

Rep Power: 10 Dr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballotDr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Default Colt McCoy's wacky numbers

I still don't know what to make of this dude. Compare his numbers to VY, Troy Smith, and Brady Quinn

McCoy:147-217 (66.7%), 1705 yds, 7.86 YPA, 24 TD, 4 INT
Young: 212-325 (65.2%), 3036 yds, 9.34 YPA, 26 TD, 10 INT
Smith: 145-214 (66.7%), 1898 yds, 8.87 YPA, 22 TD, 2 INT
Quinn: 193-303 (63.7%), 2233 yds, 7.37 YPA, 21 TD, 4 INT

McCoy hasn't thrown for much yardage at all and he's got tons of TDs. The numbers actually look pretty similar to Troy Smith. McCoy ain't a kid, he's 20, a coaches son, and probably pretty maxed out in terms of ability (certainly not execution)... but how come he's not getting any Heisman pub?

Get this, against Baylor, Rice, SHSU, and UNT he threw 13 TDs and 1 INT on only 74 attempts and 775 yards. I guess that's why he's not getting a ton of pub. I'll say this, he makes few mistakes and he's nothing if not efficient. That's a TD every 5.7 attempts in those games.
Dr. Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006   #2
gwallaia

Rep Power: 82734 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Colt McCoy's wacky numbers

Kevin Kolb: 199-293 (67.9%), 2,608 yds., 13.10 YPA, 22TD, 3 INT.

All three of his interceptions were tipped balls by his receivers.

Go Coogs!

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006   #3
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 120208 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

he is 2 TD's shy of the UT record
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006   #4
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 288753 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Yesterday, he had a great game..... if he played like that all year, & was expected to, they'd probably be talking Heisman for him as well.

But being a RS freshman, and following VY, no one expected him to do what he has.

He started out kind of slow early on, but he is definitely the leader of this team, and if he continues to play like this for the remainder of the year, they'll be talking Heisman for him next year.
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006   #5
Dr. Toro
All Pro

Rep Power: 10 Dr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballotDr. Toro is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

I don't think he'll be a 4 year starter unless they change the offense. He's not enough of a threat on the zone read, thus the running game has struggled when it should be dominant. That stuff only worked with VY. They need to go back to multiback sets and mix in that shotgun stuff. So I wouldn't be surprised if they continue to lose to top teams because of their inability to run it... opening the door for a more athletic QB akin to VY or Troy Smith. McCoy's good but if they played OSU tomorrow they'd get beat just as badly, IMO. They gotta get a better ground game going with that line and those backs. Something's gotta change eventually if they wanna win the big games, IMO. Either the QB or the offense. QB seems fine, but it's happened before in Austin.
Old 10-30-2006   #6
Haams
All Pro

Now Doc,

I've been willing to buy the UT can't win in the big game argument before, but that's been put out to pasture. I thought Oklohoma wouldn't be a threat this year, but they are still looking good without Bomar or Peterson. That was a big game. Nebraska at home (in the snow) was a big game. Tech at home against a banged up passing defense was a big game. The only game we've lost was against a great (undefeated) Ohio State team. That was Colt's second time to step on the field.

I've got two points: #1 - you don't judge a QB's performance by his ability to run the zone read. That was Vince's play, and he was an exceptional talent that doesn't really come through college football but once a millenium. Sure, if Vince came along he might take Colt's spot, but you're not gonna see just any athletic QB steal it. Plus, Colt is athletic - he's made quite a few plays with his feet, he's just not a scrambler.

#2 - We here in Austin have gotten spoiled. I've noticed this year it's not about winning a game, it's about how well we won a game. I've noticed every week people sitting around nitpicking...did we rush for enough yards? Did we win by enough points? Did we sack the QB enough times?...The fans are losing focus that it's about winning. We're on a good streak. We struggle less than other top teams. It's time to relax and enjoy the show.

The simple fact of the matter is that Colt McCoy is about to re-write the UT record book. This weekend he should take the single season TD record. That says a lot. Compare it to recent history - he's going to shatter a mark shared by VY and Chris Simms (who was throwing to the most talented recieving corps in UT history.)
Old 10-30-2006   #7
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 102657 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

McCoy is going to break the UT record for passing TDs in a season as a freshman.

That is darn good enough for me.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-30-2006   #8
Haams
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Toro View Post
...thus the running game has struggled when it should be dominant...So I wouldn't be surprised if they continue to lose to top teams because of their inability to run it...
An example of nitpicking and not enjoying what's happening.

RUSH YARDS
TEXAS - 13th
OHIO STATE - 15th
MICHIGAN - 16th
FLORIDA - 47th
USC - 70th

RUSH YARDS PER GAME
TEXAS - 20th
OHIO STATE - 22nd
MICHIGAN - 25th
FLORIDA - 39th
USC - 45th

If our running game is not "dominant" enough then it looks like the rest of the top teams will really struggle. Navy takes it all!
Old 10-30-2006   #9
profan
Veteran

no heismann pub, because his worst game was against the number 1 team on national tv.
profan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006   #10
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34649 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

He's not getting Heisman pub becasue he is a freshman, and freshman never get Heisman consideration...it's a fact of life.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006   #11
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
He's not getting Heisman pub becasue he is a freshman, and freshman never get Heisman consideration...it's a fact of life.

Mitch Albom will be writing a book on this fact of life in his next novel, "Sunday Mornings with the Eastern Media."
Old 10-30-2006   #12
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

colt mccoy isn't getting heisman consideration because freshman quarterbacks get heisman pub like once a century.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006   #13
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
Signed,
Adrian Peterson
Old 10-30-2006   #14
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
Signed,
Adrian Peterson
peterson actually showed up and played well for the biggest game of his freshman regular season, though.
Old 10-30-2006   #15
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleRedToro
You answered your own question. I'd guess that the college sports media figures that the rest of the guys you named would probably have similar if not better numbers against that level of competition.
North Texas
Ohio State
Rice
Iowa State
Sam Houston State
Oklahoma
Baylor
Nebraska
Texas Tech

Georgia Tech
Penn State
Michigan
Michigan State
Purdue
Stanford
UCLA
Navy

Yeah, McCoy's had it much easier than Brady Quinn.
Quote:
I don't think he'll be a 4 year starter unless they change the offense. He's not enough of a threat on the zone read, thus the running game has struggled when it should be dominant. That stuff only worked with VY. They need to go back to multiback sets and mix in that shotgun stuff. So I wouldn't be surprised if they continue to lose to top teams because of their inability to run it... opening the door for a more athletic QB akin to VY or Troy Smith. McCoy's good but if they played OSU tomorrow they'd get beat just as badly, IMO. They gotta get a better ground game going with that line and those backs. Something's gotta change eventually if they wanna win the big games, IMO. Either the QB or the offense. QB seems fine, but it's happened before in Austin.
The running game hasn't appeard dominant because teams have been making McCoy beat them. And to his credit, he has.

Now when teams start showing the respect for the passing offense, then the rushing offense will pick up.
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006   #16
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

the zone-read is pretty funny with mccoy.
Old 10-31-2006   #17
Dr. Toro
All Pro

That's all I'm saying... got nothing against the kid... but if they keep running that against good defenses they won't have success. And I really don't think any half sane defensive coordinator would be daring McCoy to throw to Finley, Sweed, Cosby, Shipley, and Pittman. I just think the running attack isn't what it should be and won't be as long as they run the zone-read and operate out of the shotty all the time. So, if anybody thinks I'm faulting McCoy, I'm not... just stating facts... the zone read doesn't work if you don't respect the QB's ability to run. McCoy is far from a stiff, but he's not near the threat you need to be to have success running that play. Bring back the I, pro-sets, and counter tre.
Old 10-31-2006   #18
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 102657 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's all I'm saying... got nothing against the kid... but if they keep running that against good defenses they won't have success. And I really don't think any half sane defensive coordinator would be daring McCoy to throw to Finley, Sweed, Cosby, Shipley, and Pittman. I just think the running attack isn't what it should be and won't be as long as they run the zone-read and operate out of the shotty all the time. So, if anybody thinks I'm faulting McCoy, I'm not... just stating facts... the zone read doesn't work if you don't respect the QB's ability to run. McCoy is far from a stiff, but he's not near the threat you need to be to have success running that play. Bring back the I, pro-sets, and counter tre.
But the opposing teams do respect McCoy's ability to run.

They are not scared of it, but they respect it. That is all you need from the defense to run that play. If they think that he might keep it, then they will have to key on him.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006   #19
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

I think that this kid is the real deal. By the time it's over for him here, I think that he'll be held in a higher regard around Austin than #10 himself.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006   #20
Dr. Toro
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
But the opposing teams do respect McCoy's ability to run.

They are not scared of it, but they respect it. That is all you need from the defense to run that play. If they think that he might keep it, then they will have to key on him.
Do you really think that's more effective than lining up in the I with the best offensive line in the country and opening up huge holes to let your Olympic caliber sprinter run north-south. I'm just saying, the running game is sub-optimal and it shows up against top competition (OSU). Running from the shotgun isn't a great option unless you have a burner at QB, for some pretty obvious reasons. McCoy ain't a big kid, just protect him in the pocket and let your horses earn the yards on the ground.

I imagine they stuck with the same offense to keep a comfort level for McCoy and the rest of the unit after losing VY. I don't think they should be married to the shotgun/zone read and if they are, Texas won't win against great D's with McCoy at QB.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read